Will PLD Be Useful Again At Lvl 99?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
Will PLD be useful again at lvl 99?
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 24 25 26
 Phoenix.Excelior
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 11:40:25  
Why would anyone be blocking anything if /nin? You're doing it wrong :/
 Fenrir.Snick
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 11:47:07  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Clearly they meant Guard!
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 11:49:32  
Fenrir.Snick said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Clearly they meant Guard!

If you're being hit in melee at all you're doing it wrong! :/
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 11:50:20  
I make my MNK go /WAR to some easy ***D:
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 11:52:08  
Then you really didn't need a tank, u needed a DD <3
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 11:54:52  
Whats a DD? PLD?
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-13 12:00:25  
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Yes sir, I sstand corrected bedlam is the gun. I don't have SS only ran with some JP's in WoE and saw a PLD smacking slimes for at least 1.1k easy time he used new ws. Don't believe thats fine, not going to ruin my day xD.

Well that's nice if it's accurate because they have 50% resist to slashing so it'd more around 2k~ dmg, probably can hit 3k+ in abyssea with proper atmas, but it's still too little to make pld an amazing tank =(

Amazing people make Amazing tanks, regardless of the job.

PLD's ability to spam Cure IV on itself is what makes it an amazing tank, unlimited hate w/o even drawing your weapon, and thus not subject to something like Monster-resists. How is that not amazing for tanking?

Well ok I guess I used the wrong words trying to be nice with it no matter how much I love PLD. DD's can hold hate as well as a PLD if not better because they deal more damage, so basicaly PLD is a waste of a party slot.

You seriously have been privy to some shitty PLD's then. Flash + Atonement only would accurately describe your experiences. I've never had a personal experience with a Paladin that suggest the job is anything other than a blessing to the group. I've SEEN shitty Paladins in other LS's, but I can't see their logs or talk to them and ask them how much their disability check is, since you have to be profoundly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to not be able to solidify hate on yourself as a Paladin.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 12:01:44  
Fenrir.Snick said:
Whats a DD? PLD?
Addendum; My LSs apoc plays like 4 hours a week. What a jerk!
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 12:02:17  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Caitsith.Shiroi said:
Ragnarok.Harpunnik said:
Yes sir, I sstand corrected bedlam is the gun. I don't have SS only ran with some JP's in WoE and saw a PLD smacking slimes for at least 1.1k easy time he used new ws. Don't believe thats fine, not going to ruin my day xD.
Well that's nice if it's accurate because they have 50% resist to slashing so it'd more around 2k~ dmg, probably can hit 3k+ in abyssea with proper atmas, but it's still too little to make pld an amazing tank =(
Amazing people make Amazing tanks, regardless of the job. PLD's ability to spam Cure IV on itself is what makes it an amazing tank, unlimited hate w/o even drawing your weapon, and thus not subject to something like Monster-resists. How is that not amazing for tanking?
Well ok I guess I used the wrong words trying to be nice with it no matter how much I love PLD. DD's can hold hate as well as a PLD if not better because they deal more damage, so basicaly PLD is a waste of a party slot.
You seriously have been privy to some shitty PLD's then. Flash + Atonement only would accurately describe your experiences. I've never had a personal experience with a Paladin that suggest the job is anything other than a blessing to the group. I've SEEN shitty Paladins in other LS's, but I can't see their logs or talk to them and ask them how much their disability check is, since you have to be profoundly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to not be able to solidify hate on yourself as a Paladin.

You realize that once you cap hate it comes down to who can keep it closest to the cap? Cure cheating is not MP effective and flash has a 22 second recast timer. This makes melee A LOT better at keeping hate capped.
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-10-13 12:02:45  
I would think, if you are a good PLD, you prob have a good DD job that would do the job better :P
[+]
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 12:03:14  
Well, MP is unlimited in Abyssea, but then you're also restricting DD capabilities using Refresh atmas. And wasting time casting cures etc etc
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 12:04:08  
Sylph.Kimble said:
I would think, if you are a good PLD, you prob have a good DD job that would do the job better :P

I played PLD for 6 years as the main tank in every LS I joined. I swapped to drk about 2 years ago and hardly played pld since.
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-13 12:08:38  
just wait lvl 110 Hnms, and plps will remember only plds can survive when they all on the ground...
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 12:15:28  
Gilgamesh.Thedreamer said:
just wait lvl 110 Hnms, and plps will remember only plds can survive when they all on the ground...

at 75 cap I tanked these as DRK:

Genbu
Byakko
Sieryu
Suzaku
Aspid
King Behemoth
Fafnir
Nidhogg
Tiamat
Khimaira
Cerberus
Hydra
Tinnin
Tyger
Odin
all chariots
most tier III ZNMs
Jailer of Hope
Proto-Ultima
Proto-Omega

I think DD tanks will be just fine sir. Hell, half of those were without apoc.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-13 12:32:24  
Phoenix.Excelior said:

at 75 cap I tanked these as DRK:

Genbu
Byakko
Sieryu
Suzaku
Aspid
King Behemoth
Fafnir
Nidhogg
Tiamat
Khimaira
Cerberus
Hydra
Tinnin
Tyger
Odin
all chariots
most tier III ZNMs
Jailer of Hope
Proto-Ultima
Proto-Omega

I think DD tanks will be just fine sir. Hell, half of those were without apoc.

I'll kneel your whm!
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 12:35:48  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
at 75 cap I tanked these as DRK: Genbu Byakko Sieryu Suzaku Aspid King Behemoth Fafnir Nidhogg Tiamat Khimaira Cerberus Hydra Tinnin Tyger Odin all chariots most tier III ZNMs Jailer of Hope Proto-Ultima Proto-Omega I think DD tanks will be just fine sir. Hell, half of those were without apoc.
I'll kneel your whm!

what is that in english?
 Ifrit.Hitoseijuro
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Hitoseijuro 2010-10-13 12:38:47  
Really depends on how that HNM is built. If its really beefy in def/dt then pld might be an option, however with SE bringing out lots of mdt/pdt gear thats available to most jobs, its probably better to tank with DDs if damage on the HNM isnt weak.

Thats really where one of the issues is, DDs take as much damage as plds do, because of the amount of gear available to DDs, melees can reduce as much damage as pld can if not more bar shield blocks(we know how reliable those are) and sentinel. Same can be said for magic damage aswell(outside of aegis). Pld has its own curing power which is what it may have going for it for excusing the damage it takes.

Next up is damage, with beefy HNMs it was *accepted* to have plds tank because of atonement allowing them to provide damage esp with any group that was low manning it and having extra buffs to DDs wasnt happening(with buffs sam or drk could tank fine*probably w/o aswell). Sadly now that just isnt happening. With all the atma boosts, its beefed up DDs and hurt pld more than anything. Even if a pld is taking less damage and keeping hate w/e. Its not dealing or providing enough damage that other jobs can do, and tank *reasonably* well. And thats really going to be the achilles(sp) heel for pld, its not dishing out enough damage to help the group.

If groups like having a pld for their events, I dont see why its a problem with ppl b/c its their group and it makes them feel comfortable. I would give w/e groups that like having a pld around for a safety net to pair their pld with a sam or drk to co tank. And just cure bomb them while they tank. NMs have hate reset moves so youll be tanking soon enough on some. Personally my group does x2 mnk tanks and its just smoother and faster.

There will always be a spot for a pld in any good group, but that good group will also know when that spot for a pld is needed.
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-10-13 12:40:07  
kneel
kneel is an emote, its funny to do in game, but maybe such HLs player like you dont know...
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 12:44:46  
kneel kneel is an emote, its funny to do in game, but maybe such HLs player like you dont know...

SO you're kneeling to the whm? I assume that means that you have to be a good whm to heal a drk? You do realize that drk takes less damage than pld right? Cause drk has stun which is pretty damn effective on most mobs, and you can also macro in -physical damage just like pld.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-13 13:06:02  
Phoenix.Excelior said:

You realize that once you cap hate it comes down to who can keep it closest to the cap? Cure cheating is not MP effective and flash has a 22 second recast timer. This makes melee A LOT better at keeping hate capped.

MP is a non-issue with RefreshII and Ballad III. Bring up more valid points please.

Paladin is most effective on fights where you do not want to feed the target TP, such as the Caturea battles. I'm in no way at all saying PLD is necessary, but neither is DRK, Neither is RDM, and Neither is BRD, I'm saying that, despite all the haters, PLD is still useful.

I issue you a challenge though, since your list is very underwhelming.

Tank these on DRK.

Yaanei
Yilbegan(Especially now that it spams the ***out of Chaos Blast)
Orcus
Dawon
Warbler
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-10-13 13:08:54  
Why do people think PLD is the sturdiest job and all others are weak defensively?

Quote:
Paladin is most effective on fights where you do not want to feed the target TP, such as the Caturea battles.

Don't want to feed TP => don't bring melee => use mages => RDM.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 13:10:16  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
MP is a non-issue with RefreshII and Ballad III. Bring up more valid points please. Paladin is most effective on fights where you do not want to feed the target TP, such as the Caturea battles. I'm in no way at all saying PLD is necessary, but neither is DRK, Neither is RDM, and Neither is BRD, I'm saying that, despite all the haters, PLD is still useful. I issue you a challenge though, since your list is very underwhelming. Tank these on DRK. Yaanei Yilbegan(Especially now that it spams the ***out of Chaos Blast) Orcus Dawon Warbler

Very underwhelming? its over 90% of end game mobs lol pre 75, or did you not read that part?

Why the *** would you give PLD ballad III? Double marches only, even when I tanked as pld I would be PISSED if I didnt get the double marches. No matter how you arguing it hitting a mob and WS is more hate effective than cure cheating, your point is invalid.
If you can't melee then why wouldnt you use blu instead of pld?

I agree pld is not 100% useless, you can choose to use anything. I can choose to nuke on my drk instead of bringing a blm. I can choose to use PLD as a main healer. If we talk about what is most effective and what is most valuable for any situation then PLD is very clearly out-dated for almost everything.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 13:10:57  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Why do people think PLD is the sturdiest job and all others are weak defensively?

Defense Bonus V!
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-13 13:21:17  
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Why the *** would you give PLD ballad III? Double marches only, even when I tanked as pld I would be PISSED if I didnt get the double marches. No matter how you arguing it hitting a mob and WS is more hate effective than cure cheating, your point is invalid.
If you can't melee then why wouldnt you use blu instead of pld?

I agree pld is not 100% useless, you can choose to use anything. I can choose to nuke on my drk instead of bringing a blm. I can choose to use PLD as a main healer. If we talk about what is most effective and what is most valuable for any situation then PLD is very clearly out-dated for almost everything.

No wonder why everyone thinks PLD sucks...

I still stand by my position that I've yet to see any compelling evidence showing PLD as an inferior tank in any situation, I firmly believe that there is just a punishing lack of competent Paladins outside of my linkshell.

As for Ballad III, Haste Recast caps at 50%, it's just how we do things, it works, we kill as fast, and usually faster than listed times while still using lolPLD. And I'm arguing as a Third-party here, go look at my job levels, I don't even have the *** Paladin Job Unlocked. These are all just First-Hand witnessed accounts based on the prowess of the Paladins I've had the privilege of working with.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:

Defense Bonus V!

Game's over when VI comes out! 66 Def omg.

I Just believe Paladin has the Best Damage Mitigation/Hate Engine combo from what I've seen. DRK/NIN is a more powerful Hate Engine, and BLU is probably the best Damage Mitigation (Never had the honor of working with a good BLU tank though, so just conjecture on my part)

Phoenix.Excelior said:

Very underwhelming? its over 90% of end game mobs lol pre 75, or did you not read that part?

Just go give those mobs I listed a Try, those are the only things in the game I would even regard needing a dedicated tank at all. One exception might be Orcus now... Haven't tried since 75 cap, but *** that thing is irritating to no end on DRK.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-13 13:33:20  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Why the *** would you give PLD ballad III? Double marches only, even when I tanked as pld I would be PISSED if I didnt get the double marches. No matter how you arguing it hitting a mob and WS is more hate effective than cure cheating, your point is invalid. If you can't melee then why wouldnt you use blu instead of pld? I agree pld is not 100% useless, you can choose to use anything. I can choose to nuke on my drk instead of bringing a blm. I can choose to use PLD as a main healer. If we talk about what is most effective and what is most valuable for any situation then PLD is very clearly out-dated for almost everything.
No wonder why everyone thinks PLD sucks... I still stand by my position that I've yet to see any compelling evidence showing PLD as an inferior tank in any situation, I firmly believe that there is just a punishing lack of competent Paladins outside of my linkshell. As for Ballad III, Haste Recast caps at 50%, it's just how we do things, it works, we kill as fast, and usually faster than listed times while still using lolPLD. And I'm arguing as a Third-party here, go look at my job levels, I don't even have the *** Paladin Job Unlocked. These are all just First-Hand witnessed accounts based on the prowess of the Paladins I've had the privilege of working with.
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Defense Bonus V!
Game's over when VI comes out! 66 Def omg. I Just believe Paladin has the Best Damage Mitigation/Hate Engine combo from what I've seen. DRK/NIN is a more powerful Hate Engine, and BLU is probably the best Damage Mitigation (Never had the honor of working with a good BLU tank though, so just conjecture on my part)
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Just go give those mobs I listed a Try, those are the only things in the game I would even regard needing a dedicated tank at all. One exception might be Orcus now... Haven't tried since 75 cap, but *** that thing is irritating to no end on DRK.

Sorry if you guys use ballad over march they arent intelligent tanks. (the exception here is when you arent meleeing). The hate from joytoy and atonement is > ballad III spam. Yes, there are a lot of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE plds out there. I've been main tanking years before atonement was released, I'm fairly sure I know how to generate and cap hate. Like I said before once you're at the cap the only thing that matters is the recap rate.

THose mobs are moot. If you blink tank them then any job can tank them. The only variable would be how much healing it would take.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 13:37:21  
Fenrir.Snick said:
People seriously underestimate MNK and I don't get why. This is coming from someone with a stubborn, expert BLU in my LS that would insist on trying to tank anything, and more often than not he can. But MNK just does it better.
This is true XD If Captain can punch it, I'm pretty much not going to be tanking it. If he can't, it's usually something we'll manaburn so there's no designated tank. Not a lot of situations where a disengaged tank is the way to go these days.
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 13:58:46  
ITT: Bloodtanking is all I'm getting.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-13 14:40:58  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Snick said:
People seriously underestimate MNK and I don't get why. This is coming from someone with a stubborn, expert BLU in my LS that would insist on trying to tank anything, and more often than not he can. But MNK just does it better.
This is true XD If Captain can punch it, I'm pretty much not going to be tanking it. If he can't, it's usually something we'll manaburn so there's no designated tank. Not a lot of situations where a disengaged tank is the way to go these days.

You're also talking about a relic MNK, here. Not every LS or group has the privelage of having relics...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-10-13 14:42:29  
You are vastly overrating the difference a relic makes to a MNK's tanking ability. Everything we do with Captain could be done with a nonrelic MNK.
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-10-13 14:43:23  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Fenrir.Snick said:

You're also talking about a relic MNK, here. Not every LS or group has the privelage of having relics...
Well maybe you should work on that. We also have an Apoc DRK. Half my LS has relics WHO DA THUNK IT?

And yeah, you definitely don't need Spharai at all. It does help a lot, but MNK is grossly overpowered regardless.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13 ... 24 25 26