users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » SE will buy Eidos! :O
SE will buy Eidos! :O
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-02-12 10:30:56  
It's hard to make a movie out of a game, especially an RPG that has a script so thick it would take you a couple days to read. I'm just glad they release these things here nowadays (cuz pre-FF7 we used to be lucky when an RPG was translated to English and didn't have the luxury of complaining if it was a "bad" one). Advent Children was not perfect either, the story is kind of weird and some of it doesn't make sense at all, the characters Cid, Yuffie, Barret Cait Sith have almost no part in the story they should just not have shown them lol.. but what the hell, they had already created them so they used them for the movie (explained in next paragraph)... I was happy watching it because it made me dream about the future of gaming :)

Some people believe that SE originally wanted to make a PS2 version of FF7 (they even gave hints about this around when FF10 was in the making), but then scrapped the idea and made Before Crisis with the polygon models. In the same way, it's possible that SE wanted to make a PS3 version of FF7 (they even made a technical demo, and said they did it "just for fun" hehehe what company spends time and money on developing something just for the hell of it really >.>) but when FF13 started going bad, they just used the character models to make an animated movie called Advent Children. This also served the purpose of helping lower the ever increasing cost of FF13's development. Let's face it, a remake of FF7 is probably what could make them the most money ever, FF7 sold close to 10 million copies worldwide and every non-oldschool fan wants a remake, so of course they are considering it. They're not that dumb when it comes to gils, err money.

Btw, scrapped projects, recycled into new ones happen often, like Xenogears was originally supposed to be a sequel to Chrono Trigger! How the **** it ended up looking so different don't ask me lol
 Shiva.Phioness
サーバ: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-12 11:16:28  
Well Eidos has published some good (not great) games. Some of the Tomb Raider series are fun to play. Also Hitman and Kane and Lynch are a blast if you enjoy brutally killing people. I played lego star wars with my nephew and had a blast (I grew up loving legos, and the cutscenes are hilarious).

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but here it is. They have probably bought Eidos for 2 big things:

1. Now they will 'own' the publisher in the EU. To produce/sell copies of upcomming games (New SE MMO)in the region is cheaper.

2. As Genji mentioned Eidos published FFVII and VIII in Europe. If Square ever decides to release a new version of FFVII (We can still hope)game/movie, or revamp some classics, they have a publisher in the region to do so.

#2 is definitly more plausible because SE is hurting just like every other company is in this world wide recession. They need some money and FFVII re-release would bring in millions (especially if ffXIII tanks). SE has re-released all of the Sprite based FF(1-6) many times (and damn my wallet for buying them). Now its time to move onto the 3d PS1/PC versions and give us some more classics to chew on.

As Psyence mention above they have the character models for FFVII and plenty of work on a demo and FFXIII they can do it! Add some bonus content to the game or a bundle package to include blue ray FFVII movie and its golden!

"My God! Its full of stars!" David Bowman, 2001 & 2010
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2009-02-12 11:39:01  
se is hurting because they came out with the most dissapointing game...FFXII.

They need to continue with the kingdom hearts game line and just start making sequels to there older games. Also bring back SAGA FRONTIER
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-12 12:18:21  
Ericcheco said:
se is hurting because they came out with the most dissapointing game...FFXII.

They need to continue with the kingdom hearts game line and just start making sequels to there older games. Also bring back SAGA FRONTIER

In my opinion, FFXII wasn't that bad...I think it introduced some cool concepts; I really liked the "macro" system...although it can be argued that it made the game too easy by being able to pretty much go on "auto-pilot" a lot of the time. The biggest problem I had with the game was that it was very pretty, with cool concepts...but they forgot to make it fun. Maybe I just bore too easily...^^

I never completed it (got stuck on the part where you've got to kill the Demon Wall to get the uber sword behind it, I want that damn sword lol), but I've been thinking about giving it another go lately. I feel the same way about FFVIII; after playing VII and loving the simplicity of the Materia system, I could not stand the Guardian Force crap, and the weapons upgrade system was annoying to me, too...but in retrospect, I kinda wanna give it another shot to see if maybe I wasn't just being too harsh (or spoiled by VII).

I didn't really like Kingdom Hearts myself (I just can't get past the Dinsey crap lol) but judging by how popular it is a next gen version would definitely make SE some money.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-12 12:26:52  
ffxii was ok but the game was so easy to beat in a few hours. the ending was easy and to me it wasn't even a complete game. I thought it was cool to play but it wasn't up to par imo.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-12 13:45:06  
I agree with #2 a lot here... I didn't like FFVIII's system... And I can't stand the Disney/SE mix... *Shudders.* FFXII was pretty good imo, but the way they did a lot of it just didn't make sense to me... Like the hunts and the actual story difficulties... The combat system was 'ok'... But to me, it was just FFXI offline.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-12 13:55:12  
I didn't like the SE/Disney mix either. My cousin got so into that game but to me it was like some kiddy disney.com game.
 Fairy.Tbest
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-12 14:08:49  
I really don't mind Disney. In fact, they have a lot of good movies that I've enjoyed. The combo just doesn't mesh well for me...

It's kind of like the old Reeses commercials with the whole, "You got chocolate in my peanut butter!" "You got peanut butter on my chocolate!"

And as far as I'm concerned... I don't want someone to get Disney in my Final Fantasy... >.>

And that was sooo off-topic. >.>
 Cerberus.Saiya
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-02-12 17:48:51  
I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed both Kingdom hearts games ^^ And i was very skeptical before i played them!

FFVIII junction system: Wonderful in it's complexity compared to others in the FF series. On a 2nd playthrough, if yu took time to draw magic and apply it in the right places, it made the game very fun.

Example: Get the ability to Refine Curaga from Tents. Earn lots of gil (Easy if you Rank up in SeeD quickly). Then buy/refine MANY tents. Curaga is simply the most powerful spell to apply in any slot until much later in the game. if you're the type that's played it through once, and want an easy fun ride and explore the other things you missed, FFVIII is GREAT for it^^

Those damn oil monsters below Balamb. Junction uber fire magic to Elem-Atk, hard fight = easy fight. Before I get flamed i'm sure many people did that already, took my 2nd run-through to work it out though ^^;
 Shiva.Phioness
サーバ: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-12 19:01:51  
I have to agree with Saiya on FFVIII junction system, in that it was awesome. I immediately earned the ability to turn cards into items and then refine those items into magic. I had Tornado spells after a few hours of gameplay! The storyline was cool because Squall wasn't a whiny hero, he was a hero who had that "I don't give a f$%k attitude". Rebellious, but cool. Some of the bosses where hellu tough, and the card game was lots of fun to play.

Kingdom Hearts was fun, though the gameplay could get a little boring at times. A great way to get your GF interested in playing RPG's (yay Disney!)

Now FFXII Had a mediocre storyline, but it Had lots of NM's!!! As a thf Main I love NM's. The gameplay was revolutionary in that you could program your characters actions which effectively rid you of the boring task of repetative menu selection. I like collecting items from kills to create new weapons, and the graphics in some zones were very pleasing to the eye. The summoning was garbage though... losing 2 players was just ridiculous.

Of all the storylines/gameplay in any Square (before SE) game I would have to say FFVI (best variety of characters) was the best, followed by Chrono Trigger (Time travel and RPG greatness) and then Secret of Mana (3 player action/rpg very unique and well done). The Super Nintendo and Square were the best marriage of a Console and Game Developer. If ever I would recommend any classic to play it would be FFVI on the GBA. It has a music player, extra dungeons with bosses that are tough, and a great new translation.
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2009-02-12 19:37:14  
Yeah you guys are right, FFXII gameplay was cool, and the HNM hunt made the game a slight bit more interesting. But i forgot to mention that the overall story and how much of a stright line it was. It was in some words...Doo doo, It didnt focus on one character and it just touched on each on each and every character but nothing to specific or wow about them that contributed deeply to the storyline, it just made it more annoying lol

Playing the game for a while made you feel like you were playing super mario world because of the irrelivent bull that you had to d. (Find the princess: clear a castle: OHH shes not in here shes in the OTHER CASTLE, and repeat. lol Thats how i felt ff12 was, you may dissagree though.

Back to the kingdom hearts, i mean i know its all diseny and all that colerfull stuff, not really what you consider badass, but The story is A+ for sure, you might have to go swimming with a mermaid but its only to get you to connect with the Protagonist.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
サーバ: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-12 20:46:42  
I'm sometimes partially ashamed to admit that I loved the Kingdom Hearts games. I've played Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Chain of Memories right through. Chain of Memories was a bit iffy, though I despised the format (The card battle system was still a case of spamming keys and hoping for the best, even by the end of the game.)

When I first heard of the combination, I definitely had my reservations. I've never really been that keen on Disney and never really watched many of the cartoons. The combination worked great though, at least I thought so. The game didn't seem too childish to me at all and I actually found the amalgination of Final Fantasy and Disney characters pretty enjoyable.

In the second game they achieved a much better balance, I thought. Presumeabely this came from the experience they got making the first. As Ericcheco said in the post above, the storyline was second to none. it really was a fantastically detailed plot that I loved from start to finish. Yes, swimming with a mermaid was a little weird, but it developed the storyline well.

I loved the battle system too. Something that a lot of Final Fantasy games misses is more fast-paced gameplay. I'm a fan of turn based, especially as I can make a cuppa whenever I want. Somedays, though, you're just in the mood for something with a little "punch", for lack of a better phrase. I did love Kingdom Hearts's battle system and found it most enjoyable.

Put it this way; I don't buy games new, but I was so excited about Kingdom Hearts 2, I paid the full price for it on the day of release. The last time I did this was for Unreal 2 a long time ago!

Since playing the Kingdom Hearts games, I have actually developed an interest in Disney cartoons too. Who would have thought it? I find some of them pretty charming and some quite amusing. Donald Duck is truly a champion amongst our cultures.

I haven't played Final Fantasy XII yet, so won't comment on that. As said before, however, Square Enix buying Eidos makes me indifferent. No games I am familiar with come to mind from Eidos so, albeit perhaps ignorantly, I see it as news that has no impact on me.