WikiLeaks: Patriotic, Unpatriotic?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » WikiLeaks: Patriotic, Unpatriotic?
WikiLeaks: Patriotic, Unpatriotic?
First Page 2 3
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-02 15:29:28  
Which way do you lean? I haven't yet made up my mind.

Right now I'm weighting the "Loose lips sink ships" and "Government should be transparent" positions.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-02 15:32:08  
Well without really having the right to call it patriotic or unpatriotic due to my country of residence...

I do think it's a good thing, too many lies up top is a pretty scary prospect.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-12-02 15:32:14  
Careful posting this, it might get locked for some lame *** reason with no ifs, ands, or buts.

Big Brother is watching /tinfoilhat
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-02 15:36:58  
government should fear it's people, the people shouldn't fear the government, just sayin'
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-02 15:38:20  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
government should fear it's people, the people shouldn't fear the government, just sayin'
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:40:56  
i've got a very limited income right now, i donated to several causes when i was active army and made money

wikileaks is one of two causes i still donate to

when a government thinks it can keep secrets, you get guantanamos, and suspected terrorists with secret trials that violate the bill of rights

you get secret wiretaps the government didn't think we'd find out about

you get signing statements that G.W. thought he could slip by an apathetic public/media

i agree with jet

government should fear its people, not vice versa

i can think of few things more valuable than a government that thinks twice before trying to steal away constitutional rights in the shadows

(yes, i know that the diplomatic cables were not about taking our rights. that's not what i'm getting at. i want them nervous about keeping secrets in general)
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-02 15:41:15  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-02 15:41:44  
This subject was banned from this forum by mods :(
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-02 15:42:42  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
i've got a very limited income right now, i donated to several causes when i was active army and made money

when a government thinks it can keep secrets, you get guantanamos, and terrorists with secret trials that violate the bill of rights

you get signing statements that G.W. thought he could slip by an apathetic public/media

i agree with jet

government should fear it's people, not vice versa
You also get the creation of new enemies without the people's knowledge.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-02 15:44:34  
Ragnarok.Zanno said:
Not the subject itself. Discussing (content) and like I did post the content of said documents is what we have to not do.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:44:36  
Ragnarok.Zanno said:

i think it was banned because someone posted a summary of some of the leaked information which would be technically illegal

hopefully no one will do that this time around
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-02 15:44:54  
Ragnarok.Zanno said:
Oh? I'm sorry I wasn't aware.

I have just had several patients comment one way on the issue and wanted to see what others out there thought about it.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:45:45  
Ragnarok.Blindphleb said:
Ragnarok.Zanno said:

I have just had several patients comment one way on the issue and wanted to see what others out there thought about it.

not the subject

just don't post any of the illegally obtained info
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-12-02 15:46:37  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ragnarok.Zanno said:

i think it was banned because someone posted a summary of some of the leaked information which would be technically illegal

hopefully no one will do that this time around

[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-02 15:47:30  
Ragnarok.Zanno said:

Just be careful about what you post.

Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:50:58  

Right now I'm weighting the "Loose lips sink ships"

i hope it doesn't sound like posturing

but when i was in, i would have gladly accepted the increased risk

of my proverbial ship sinking

in exchange for the free exercise of freedom of speech and freedom of the press (among other rights)

that we were originally commissioned to protect
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-02 15:52:03  
Sev, would you consider the freedom of speech to include illegally obtained documents?
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-02 15:52:39  
The problem with this is not what the documents contain, but is it right to release any secret documents from the gov't?

It's one thing to blow the whistle on the actions of a company, another thing to release items the gov't doesn't want the public to see, regardless of it's content.

Don't forgot about the blatantly treason of taking such docs, despite their lack of security guarding them.

Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:54:50  
Sev, would you consider the freedom of speech to include illegally obtained documents?

i think unofficial leaks(which have been around for quite a while and are pretty damned integral to the press role as government watchdog) to the press would actually fall more under freedom of the press than freedom of speech

but i believe that idealistically(i'm not sure how supreme court would rule on it) it falls under constitutional protection

Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-02 15:55:12  
If the government is for and by the people, why don't the people have the right to know exactly everything that the government is doing in their name?
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-02 15:55:17  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

when a government thinks it can keep secrets, you get guantanamos, and suspected terrorists with secret trials that violate the bill of rights

i agree with jet

i can think of few things more valuable than a government that thinks twice before trying to steal away constitutional rights in the shadows

(yes, i know that the diplomatic cables were not about taking our rights. that's not what i'm getting at. i want them nervous about keeping secrets in general)

you know over nine thousand babies just died, right?
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:56:48  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

i agree with jet

yes
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-02 15:57:29  
If the government is for and by the people, why don't the people have the right to know exactly everything that the government is doing in their name?
Definitely true too.

However they're laws in effect for people who take stuff like this.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 15:58:27  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
The problem with this is not what the documents contain, but is it right to release any secret documents from the gov't?

It's one thing to blow the whistle on the actions of a company, another thing to release items the gov't doesn't want the public to see, regardless of it's content.

Don't forgot about the blatantly treason of taking such docs, despite their lack of security guarding them.

i say the treason is in the signing statements

the treason is in the TSA repeal of our fourth amendment rights

the treason is in the wiretaps

it's a two way street

Ragnarok.Zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-12-02 15:59:27  
I got a lot to say on this subject. But I won't. I would just end up saying something (by accident) that would get this thread deleted as well lol.

Besides, time for bed here anyway :(
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-12-02 15:59:30  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

i think unofficial leaks(which have been around for quite a while and are pretty damned integral to the press role as government watchdog) to the press would actually fall more under freedom of the press than freedom of speech

but i believe that idealistically(i'm not sure how supreme court would rule on it) it falls under constitutional protection

I agree. There seems to be some double standard with some press groups over WikiLeaks. The Press has used the type of documents WikiLeaks is leaking in the past. They usually do it in a focused manner though. The argument for them might be focused leaks vs. a shotgun approach, where the presses job is to decide where to dig and what to report. WikiLeaks leaves that decision up to the general public.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 16:01:18  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

I agree. There seems to be some double standard with some press groups over WikiLeaks. The Press has used the type of documents WikiLeaks is leaking in the past. They usually do it in a focused manner though. The argument for them might be focused leaks vs. a shotgun approach, where the presses job is to decide where to dig and what to report. WikiLeaks leaves that decision up to the general public.

well, i mean, wikileaks is the press. it includes sources, but at its heart, it is a network of journalists.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-12-02 16:01:38  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

i say the treason is in the signing statements

the treason is in the TSA repeal of our fourth amendment rights

the treason is in the wiretaps

it's a two way street

Lol I'm trying to think of the way to word this...

The guy took the documents that he had no right to. It's theft is it not?

But yeah definitely what you said applies, so until the gov't straightens out, this type of thing will happen.

Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-12-02 16:03:41  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

The guy took the documents that he had no right to. It's theft is it not?

sure.

i mean as a british spy, roald dahl(one of many, many, many examples) did things that were both technically illegal, and patriotic

i do not believe the two categories are mutually exclusive
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-12-02 16:04:08  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

i agree with jet

yes
just checking. You got any sugar? I'm feeling drowsy
First Page 2 3