Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22429 22430 22431 ... 22710 22711 22712
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-06-21 15:24:27  
Bahamut.Negan said: »
Asura.Iamaman said: »
Many people live and make their livelihood on these boats
I know Shinola about sailing or boats, and I guess I could just ask Celebrindal, but, I mean, who makes their livelihood on sailboats?

The livelihoods supported by the Sailing Industry vary widely, from of course shipbuilders and sailmakers(THIS is the big money these days, the modern hard-sail used in most competitive racing is NASA-level expense and expertise), there are massive PR teams associated with the America's Cup Campaigns (I was actually asked to join one for the Barcelona '24 Campaign of American Magic, my health is not cooperative to be away from my docs for the next 2 yrs), and the Support Teams associated with these campaigns are equally huge.

In the recreational Sailing Industry its much wider. There are trimmers, helmsmans, and grinders who can make an entire year's living in 4 months of crewing boats for either individuals or companies that offer sailing excursions. About 9 years ago after my divorce I was a trimmer for a 50' personal yacht in the Carribean for 5 months. There are the same industrial employers I mention above as well- though of course the costs associated with a recreational sailboat and a racing Yacht are quite different, but the volume makes up for it.

Yachting as Sailors see it is no different than other sports- its an active hobby, not a casual one sipping Mimosas. Its hard work, its dangerous, and the enjoyment from knowing your entire momentum is the result of both your muscles and your brain is a thrill I can't match anywhere. NEVER confuse a Sailor on a Yacht with a Passenger.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
サーバ: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-21 15:36:33  
The funny thing about all these people thinking it's a bunch of rich *** is the idea of them taking the slowest possible means of travel and working on things anyone who has ever been on a boat knows is a reality...

Mainly anything involving the holding tank and associated plumbing (this is where the ***and piss goes).
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-06-21 15:41:03  
Well, there's also the amusing thing that guys like us look at employment as a Grinder for 5 months in the Caribbean as heaven, while those other folks probably view that as borderline Indentured Servitude ;)
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-06-21 15:53:37  
First of all, TY for the explanation/info. I can see it your perspective now.

As far as my perspective goes, I don't think they are rich ppl, I LIKE Bezos and Musk. IDK what to say except with an analogy.

-Guys runs up on a bull, and he gets the horns. Bravo bull!
-Photographer gets too close to a hungry lion, becomes lunch. Hell yeah rawr!

That's how I picture it.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-06-21 15:56:22  
if you want to cite something nautical that likely has provoked this response from Orcas, blame whalewatching excursions.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-21 16:00:51  
That's fair and I can understand that IF they were the problem. The issue is that the likelihood of a sailboat having done anything to antagonize or irritate Orcas is close to 0.

Just to be clear, I don't think there is anything that should be done to them in response. I just don't think it's really something that should be celebrated considering their targets aren't the ones trashing oceans or doing anything to antagonize them. They are more than likely an easy target of opportunity given they are slow and rudders are an easy target.

I don't think any firm cause has been established despite several theories. At least one organization has found a correlation to bottom paint color (black) and attacks, but it's anecdotal AFAIK. Who knows why they do what they do, I just don't think people really have a perspective on what types of boats/people they are attacking and the word 'yacht' presents an inaccurate image.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-06-21 16:44:09  
The one that I find particularly disturbing is the whole Titanic-searching submarine thing.
[+]
 Asura.Disclai
user: Disclai
By Asura.Disclai 2023-06-21 16:52:25  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
I don't think any firm cause has been established despite several theories. At least one organization has found a correlation to bottom paint color (black) and attacks, but it's anecdotal AFAIK. Who knows why they do what they do, I just don't think people really have a perspective on what types of boats/people they are attacking and the word 'yacht' presents an inaccurate image.

Ultimately I think we have to respect that orcas are a highly intelligent species, prone to act out based on trauma, stressors, and learned behavior.

One of the dominant orcas was probably hurt or otherwise traumatized by a vessel, and developed a destructive predilection, which it potentially taught to others.

We have plenty of data on orcas, dolphins, and whales developing localized behavior patterns -- cultures, essentially. Certain pods have different preferred delicacies, such as the tongues of blue whales, or the livers of great whites. Different groups even have audibly different dialects of speech.

There was one historical account of an individual whale, nicknamed Porphyrios, sinking boats near Constantinople for 50+ years in the 500s AD, until it accidentally beached itself and was slaughtered by the locals.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-06-21 17:01:05  
Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
they're already a crumpled singularity at the bottom of the Atlantic.
WOW just WOW
By Viciouss 2023-06-21 17:13:06  
Just got back from the Flash, it was bad. So bad I was browsing my phone and talking about orcas during the movie. The CGI was all time awful and the plot was part fan service part nonsense. It's not hard to see why its bombing at the box office. Three straight failures to end the lackluster DCU run. None of these actors are coming back and they seemed to know it.
 Asura.Iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-06-21 17:14:10  
Asura.Disclai said: »
Ultimately I think we have to respect that orcas are a highly intelligent species, prone to act out based on trauma, stressors, and learned behavior.

All of this is true and whale attacks are certainly nothing new, whether they be intentional or unintentional. I have no doubt that is a possibility.

The reason I think it's low is that most cruising sailboats are slow enough and designed in a way that it is unlikely these types of boats harmed them. There just isn't a lot of things a slow cruising sailboat could do to an animal of that speed/size even if it did strike it (which is unlikely in itself).

It seems more likely to me that a powered vessel, commercial fishing ship, or similar did something that antagonized them, but these are harder targets so they take it out on slower sailing boats. I have read some theories that the boats were disturbing schools of fish (their food source) somehow, but I don't know if that's true or not. There are a lot of possibilities, but being physically hurt by the types of boats they are attacking is unlikely IMO.

Maybe someone threw some cocaine overboard and we have the plot for the Cocaine Bear sequel.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-06-21 17:23:34  
WOW just WOW
So much for keeping it behind a spoiler tag :P
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-06-21 18:51:32  
The one that I find particularly disturbing is the whole Titanic-searching submarine thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/25/missing-indonesian-submarine-found-broken-up-in-bali-sea

The cheering is because of situations like this one just 2 years ago. No one batted an eye at the death of 53 indonesians in a submarine, just like the numerous submarine losses in the past 50 years of it. But throw 5 rich people wasting money to disturb a crumbling wreck, and the whole goddam world stops.

The cheering is because society today is built around the concept that expertise is nothing that can't be solved by enough money. They had zero business being down there (neither did James Cameron in my opinion), and guess what- they chose poorly and thought in the end their money would save them.

Zero sympathies. Its often said of the sea that "Below the 30th Parallel, there is no God". Well, I don't care what parallel it is- 13,000 ft underwater is still 2 miles, and no Amex Black can make science bat an eye.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-06-21 19:38:06  
This just randomly got The Last Saskatchewan Pirate stuck in my head. lol
[+]
By Wordspoken 2023-06-21 20:01:34  
Pantafernando said: »
I just extracted a wisdom tooth.

Good thing those anaethesics work well.

Because it was a terrible procedure to watch
Can confirm, wisdom tooth sucks to get out. Wish you well.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-06-21 21:36:51  
So far, not much suffering

cheers
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-06-21 22:20:08  
40 mins til the best game of this decade, the decade before, and the decade to come releases
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2023-06-21 22:23:43  
they're already a crumpled singularity at the bottom of the Atlantic.
WOW just WOW

Actually, I would welcome a crumpled singularity death as it sounds instantaneous. The thought of 5 of us in an eclosed space slowly dying while retching for air over several days sounds much worse.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-06-21 22:24:25  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
40 mins til the best game of this decade, the decade before, and the decade to come releases
But, Armored Core 6 isn't out until Augus-- oooohhhh.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-06-21 22:25:25  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
But, Armored Core 6 isn't out until Augus-- oooohhhh.

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-06-21 23:04:47  
Y'know, I could probably talk for hours about how much I love FFXI's combat. I think skillchains and magic bursts are some of the coolest ideas ever, adding layers to strategies and job balance, and encouraging parties to plan ahead, work together, and use a solid variety of jobs to really optimize the performance of a group.

Yet I cannot for the life of me wrap my head around skillchain compatibility. I've looked for so long to find the smallest fragment of a pattern in what combines with what to make what. There doesn't seem to be any mechanical logic to it at all.

There's only one path that makes Induration. Two to make Impaction and Liquefaction. Three different ways to make Detonation.

Transfixion into Scission makes Distortion, but does nothing if performed backwards. Compression into Detonation makes Detonation, but you can reverse it and get Gravitation.

You'd think they'd have aligned the compatibility with the Elemental Wheel, or make it so running the two elements back-to-back that combine into a tier-2 would do so. But no. This mechanically layered game with such a fascinating and deep system seems like it was made by throwing darts at a board.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-06-21 23:11:18  
*looks at the clock*

Have fun, all! See you in a few days/weeks/howeverlongitis.
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2023-06-21 23:14:36  
I hope ya'll enjoy XVI. I'll be in the PC port waiting room replaying 7R and SoP if anyone needs anything. ( ;w;)b
By Draylo 2023-06-21 23:48:07  
FFXI was the best of all time
By Pantafernando 2023-06-22 02:12:51  
Now it isnt?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Immortalmoon
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Immortalmoon 2023-06-22 03:17:38  
I wondering if draylo has thing for lighting. /hmmm
By Pantafernando 2023-06-22 03:32:18