Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22476 22477 22478 ... 22706 22707 22708
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-10-03 21:05:30  
People upset over "Kait Sihth" probably also say some of the following incorrectly:
Shiv-a (Shee-va)
If-rit (E-freet)
Jor-mun-gand (your-mun-gan-dr)
Nid-Hogg (nee-thogg)
Mij-ol-nir (meeyoll-neer)
Ba-ha-mutt (ba-ha-moot)
etc etc

Chill out, its really not that serious, considering most of us discovered these names in an era where cutscenes were only able to be read and we had to come up with our own pronunciations.
By Draylo 2023-10-03 22:18:58  
Yeah, I used to pronounce it like that myself but given they had the opportunity to make it official an change it and they didn't, seems weird. I am kinda glad we don't have to pronounce it like that tho, rly weird but I know its the correct way.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-03 22:29:18  
We all pronounce ***incorrectly. Learning the correct way is the only way to know and correct course.

You don't double down.

.....Unless, Reeve is trans(Or has D.I.D.) and prefers to be referred to as Kate, the Ket Shee
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-10-03 22:53:14  
Shichishito said: »
I think someone AC/AF the 500 shinryu thread.
AC/AF?
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2023-10-04 00:05:34  
Bastok is glorious and SE was brilliant for naming it as such.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-10-04 02:25:29  
No! Its your country thats it!
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-10-04 02:28:18  
Asura.Vyre said: »
Shichishito said: »
I think someone AC/AF the 500 shinryu thread.
AC/AF?
SMN burn! Astral Conduit Astral FLow
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-10-04 04:07:23  
Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »
Bastok is glorious and SE was brilliant for naming it as such.
ftfy :^)
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-04 10:41:26  

I do really love taking a day this time of year, heading up to Estes Park, and watching all the tourists think The Elk Rut is no different than the white-tailed deer they see in Pennsylvania ;)
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-10-04 11:32:58  
Yeah, i start the work with huge noises because neighbor did some repair in his WC, leading to some infiltration in my kitchen, then having to break my wall to fix it.

Then, before lunch, i went to gym. But it was closed. Their AC was broken.

Went to lunch, then some rando jump the line right in front of me.

Went to supermarket, then another rando again jump the line in front of me. And his order was like 3 or 4 items before i could ask mine.

At that point i figured, today isnt a good day.

Best to simply hope it end quickly
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2023-10-04 12:59:34  
Asura.Vyre said: »
Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »
"Bastook" is stupid and SE is wrong for making it not Bastock pronunciation
ftfy :^)
Clarified it for you!
[+]
By Rips 2023-10-04 13:05:02  
I’ve been saying “cait sith” since the beginning.

Win.
By Rips 2023-10-04 13:05:02  
I’ve been saying “cait sith” since the beginning.

Win.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2023-10-04 16:57:10  
yay another new character completed and another server farming for the week bites the dust, Goodbye Bahamut and on to the next one to create
By Pantafernando 2023-10-04 17:10:35  
Some dialogue:

MC1: "What?! You are the witch that killed many 18 years ago???"

MC2: "Well... Yeah. Thank you, farewell".

Thats some way to avert a crisis.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-04 19:09:33  
ya know.... I have seen many things cut with bolt cutters.

I have literally never once seen bolt cutters cut a bolt. Locks. Chains. Fences. Branches. Fingers. Never bolts.

Unrelated, but could be related; Chucky Season 3 first episode is today
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-10-04 19:19:49  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »

I do really love taking a day this time of year, heading up to Estes Park, and watching all the tourists think The Elk Rut is no different than the white-tailed deer they see in Pennsylvania ;)

That's sick.

Do they sell tickets?
[+]
By Draylo 2023-10-04 22:42:06  
First episode takes place in helping me move lol

[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-10-05 03:48:28  
Run
By mhomho 2023-10-05 06:42:49  
Draylo, would you rather I come over to help? I'll bring some Natty Ice, a Jack Johnson CD, my Gamecube controller. You know, just the essentials.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2023-10-05 08:00:16  
mhomho said: »
Draylo, would you rather I come over to help? I'll bring some Natty Ice, a Jack Johnson CD, my Gamecube controller. You know, just the essentials.

What else is in the bag?
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-05 09:16:46  
Garuda.Chanti said: »

That's sick.

Do they sell tickets?

Nah, but there are some outdoor rooftop bars where one can definitely feel like they're enjoying performance art^^
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-05 10:08:42  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
We all pronounce ***incorrectly. Learning the correct way is the only way to know and correct course.

You don't double down.
This Welsh journalist isn't too happy Celtic culture is getting the shaft yet again. It's funny too because Japan already pronounces it correctly, and it's apparently pronounced correctly in the English dub of XIV as well. So there's really no sense to it.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-05 10:11:59  
Quote:
Despite being named for and appropriately themed after a creature from established mythology, someone at Square Enix has decided to directly ignore not only the widely-used Gaelic pronunciation - and the fact that Cait Sith has a Scottish goddamn accent in-game - but also the pronunciation so obviously intended by the character’s own creators. In Japan, Cait Sith’s name is pronounced ‘ketto shi’
Quote:
This is a willfully ignorant
Willful ignorance is the bane of current era humanity. Not just stupid, but stupid on purpose despite access to more information than at any time in history.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-05 10:17:57  
SE did back themselves into a bit of a corner by using established mythology from around the globe. In my opinion it gives the games a great level of depth, and I love finding out random weird lore connections (I've had great fun looking at the names and lores of the RMEA bows lately, for example^^)

I'll always love George Lucas's take on pronunciation in his universe- that just like different regions of a country will have dialects, so different planets will have slight variations in pronunciation of names/locations. Again, SE can't fall back on this catch-all as they use existing lore vs creating a universe completely their own, but as someone who grew up hearing Gaelic hymns being sung by his family from birth, the Welsh should be a little cautious regarding their pronunciation shame- you can travel from one village to the next and see variation- and there's nothing wrong with it.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-10-05 10:59:43  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
SE did back themselves into a bit of a corner by using established mythology from around the globe. In my opinion it gives the games a great level of depth, and I love finding out random weird lore connections (I've had great fun looking at the names and lores of the RMEA bows lately, for example^^)
They did use Anglicized spelling for everything, though. Even if it wasn't perfectly established, it's still possible to pronounce all of the unique names and everything. If they were really having that much difficulty with people understanding the Celtic "Cait Sith" is pronounced "ket she", maybe a better solution would have been to simply spell its name as "Ket She" (or "Ket Shi").

In the same way they don't use Hindi to spell "शिव" for the English version of Final Fantasy, maybe they shouldn't be using the Scottish Gaelic spelling of "Cait Sith" for the English version of Final Fantasy. Just because it uses the same vowels and consonants doesn't mean those vowels and consonants are used the same.

Or maybe that's just as bad, I dunno.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-10-05 11:20:11  
Had they spelled it "wrong" to reflect proper phonetic sound there would've been less uproar (cause who gave a ***in 1997) But it still would've been wrong.

Spell it correctly. And say it correctly, too. Because it's correct.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-10-05 11:26:55  
Another day the gym’s AC was broken, wasting my time of going there only to come back.

I wonder if thats a hint for me to come back to my previous gym.

Week was kinda bad, only wish my team can win tonights its knock out match
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-05 11:35:18  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Had they spelled it "wrong" to reflect proper phonetic sound there would've been less uproar (cause who gave a ***in 1997) But it still would've been wrong.

Spell it correctly. And say it correctly, too. Because it's correct.

I agree to a point- yes, spell as correctly as possible vs phonetic spellings when dealing with not only other languages, but also different alphabets...and I hope for at least some players, unfamiliar lore in a FF game drives them to at least drop a quick google for the origins, and maybe pick up a new fact of their day.

But players are players. They're as mixed as any population base- some are gonna go deep-dive into Celtic Lore and throw a ***fit for a misplaced hard C or long I. Others are just concerned with the parse at the end, screw what the name of the mob they just beat up was, let alone its proper pronunciation or spelling or origin.

The aspect of varying pronunciations being released by SE's own work vs a player's is troublesome for answers, but its just not worth the fight in my book. This journalist is fully entitled to his take- doesn't mean I have to consider his work some groundbreaking expose' into how Japanese Corporations still hold animosity towards the WW2 Allies and thus purposely mispronounce vital lore to insult them. Its a damn game. And considering American and European treatment of Japanese lore for the prior 200 years, a few non-perfect moments I believe are quite excusable.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-10-05 12:22:01  
Eiryl big mad that people in 1997, before Google was created, and for the next two-plus decades, established that Cait Sith was to be pronounced as it was written, instead of in some obscure Gaelic dialect.

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22476 22477 22478 ... 22706 22707 22708