Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22497 22498 22499 ... 22709 22710 22711
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-18 15:00:55  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
Afania said: »
This is making a bold assumption on how everyone else invest using personal preference, lol.

I know someone irl who doesn't invest like that at all. He buys his property with cash because he is filthy rich so he can afford it without a loan.

This works differently for people in middle/upper-middle class than it does for people that are really wealthy or have acquired a lot of assets (even under a loan). Worrying about taking loans out is more of a middle class problem/fear than it is for people who are very wealthy.

Taking out loans against assets you have cash for is spending other peoples money, which is a good thing. If you buy correctly, then you will make more of a return off the house than you will pay in interest. If you have cash on hand, using that cash to further invest in other resources that offer a 10%+ return is going to stretch this even further. You can, to some extent, also take loans out against other properties/assets you have, which is how a lot of mega wealthy people acquire a lot of assets.

If you are doing this without enough cash to survive on then it can create a house of cards, but once you reach amount of wealth, it's a more efficient/effective way of ensuring you get returns on those resources. I wouldn't go as far as to call paying cash for things stupid, but it's not the most effective way of leveraging your resources. If someone is wealthy enough to do that, power to them I guess, but it's not the way most people in that situation do this.

I'm not remotely wealthy, just have a solid career I've built up. Learning how to manage money was the smartest thing I ever did, and understanding that debt isn't bad if that debt is used to finance future wealth. I'm on a solid path to having enough passive income in 10 years to retire early and do whatever I want.

It's the fundamental realization that future money has less value then now money while future assets have more value then now assets. Using future money to acquire now assets lets us gain that difference in value as wealth. Managed properly it sets up the foundation for generational wealth. Using now money for an appreciating asset is no different then tossing money in a barrel and setting it on fire.

It's really sad that the education systems in western countries is geared towards making really good consumers and really bad investors. It teaches everyone that money is evil and using it to make more money is something only the evil rotten ultra rich can do. That it's somehow morally superior to be avoid growing wealth and remain poor.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-18 15:11:40  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Curbed on apartment warehousing:

https://www.curbed.com/2023/07/landlords-bluffing-vacant-apartments-warehousing-nyc.html

Quote:
HPD released its initial findings from the 2021 Housing Vacancy Survey, a comprehensive Census-based report, which estimated that there were actually 42,860 vacant rent-stabilized units that were off the market. Come fall, the City reported an even larger figure: According to the state’s Department of Housing and Community Renewal registration data, which comes from landlords self reporting, there were 61,000 vacant rent-stabilized apartments in 2021 — a pandemic spike. A day later, the number grew again as the City reported new vacancy numbers from HPD’s 2021 survey data — showing that there were 90,000 vacant rent-stabilized apartments across the five boroughs if you also included the apartments that were vacant but available to rent.

Please note that these are only rent stablized apartments.

'Warehousing': Why New York City landlords don't list all their empty apartments
Fox 5 NY

Quote:
The real estate world refers to this shelving of empty apartments as "warehousing." UrbanDigs reports landlords have now warehoused 50% of Manhattan's unrented apartments — more than three times the number of warehoused apartments in pre-pandemic February of last year.

"Sort of hide their cards a bit," Walkup said, "hide their desperation."

Those are opinion pieces, like how Elvis is still alive or someone's cow got abducted by aliens.

Landlords are not "hiding" units, there is no such thing as "hiding" it's all available on MLS. They need tenants to provide revenue to pay down that mortgage, empty units are just cash drains every month.

Having said that, I think your confusing how negotiations work. Real estate isn't like buying a candy bar from a store, the prices aren't really fixed and it's all a negotiation. When there are more buyers (renters) then sellers (units), it feels like you don't have much negotiating power because you all suck at it. When it's the other way around, the seller is going to attempt to BS you into thinking they are in a better negotiating position then they are, that's pretty normal for negotiating. It's your job, the renter, to haggle and call their BS. Be talking to multiple sellers and lowball each of them, though don't insult them. Be willing to wait a week as they try to call your bluff.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-11-18 20:18:44  
3rd grade football team in the hotel last night and tonight. Last night their parents actually corralled the kids.

Tonight? Everyone of the parents is slowly getting shitfaced and letting their kids run amok. There's at least 40 kids. Lobby is louder than a drunk wedding party. I'm gonna go crazy.

Quiet hours start in 42 minutes. Wonder if I'll be able to get them quiet down or if I'm gonna hafta get authorities involved. Blegh.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-11-18 20:19:51  
Feed them coffee and/or energy drinks to burn em out
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2023-11-18 20:26:15  
Asura.Vyre said: »
Wonder if I'll be able to get them quiet down or if I'm gonna hafta get authorities involved. Blegh.
I know someone who can call SWAT for ya!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-11-18 20:58:58  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Those are opinion pieces, like how Elvis is still alive or someone's cow got abducted by aliens.
Those are facts. With actual, researched numbers.

I am sorry that New York real estate doesn't fit your worldview.

Vancouver BC wouldn't either.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-11-18 20:59:48  
Big Ounce

o7
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-11-18 21:00:56  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Feed them coffee and/or energy drinks to burn em out
And give them each a free puppy!

That'll teach their parents.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-18 21:19:16  
Those are facts. With actual, researched numbers.

I am sorry that New York real estate doesn't fit your worldview.

Vancouver BC wouldn't either.

No those were articles where they interviewed people who gave opinions about why unit sellers were not disclosing how weak their positions were. This isn't world view nonsense, this is pure economics and making money. I explained how making money off real estate works, but it seems like your more concerned with maintaining your "hate those evil people" belief then understanding what's going on. Even after admitting you didn't understand the economics you were positive there must be greedy / evil people somewhere on purpose denying people homes and making money by .... not making money... but they are definitely really evil and definitely really bad and we should definitely really hate them... cause reasons.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2023-11-18 21:37:29  
It's that time of year again, North America

Think smaller, think more legs

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-18 21:50:10  
I'm cool with spiders, they keep the rest of the insect population at bay.
[+]
By Afania 2023-11-19 01:39:40  
They need tenants to provide revenue to pay down that mortgage, empty units are just cash drains every month.

This is NOT always true. Short term capital gain(buy/sell only) is just as effective for generating revenue sometimes. In a region that housing prices are increasing rapidly, you can make money even with empty units.

I know someone irl who made +75% with buy/sell within 5 years, or 15% per year with his empty properties. He doesn't need rent money to pay for mortgage even if he has one.

If your goal is to buy a house, hold it for 1-2 year for short term capital gain then sell, getting tenants for rent is just more trouble since you'll have to deal with ad, maintenance, tenant problems AND you need to look for ways to get rid of tenants when you want to sell. Getting tenants for rent isn't "free extra money", it always comes with a cost. For some people this cost may not be worth it if buy/sell revenue is good enough for them.

In a high housing price region, I can totally see people choose to buy for capital gain instead of steady cashflow from rent. Because revenue from simply buy/sell is just that good.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-11-19 04:28:26  
One thing my old bones learned during this path thats called life, is that

Between peace and being right, now I choose peace
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2023-11-19 06:04:40  
Pantafernando said: »
One thing my old bones learned during this path thats called life, is that

Between peace and being right, now I choose peace
too bad your country didnt choose peace yesterday and their water bottle legislation beforehand apparently
 Asura.Rekcuf
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-11-19 07:17:51  
YouTube Video Placeholder

I WILL BE THIS TANK we can finally say *** warriors
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2023-11-19 14:04:03  
I need to get stronger in FFXI. I can't even handle 3 Demisang Fomors at once in Sortie. Two, it's like a boss battle. But 3+ is a death sentence.

SMH
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-19 14:07:01  
You need to seek out the ancient hermit on top the mountain of doom. There you will go through a training montage where he beats your mercilessly while laughing.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-11-19 14:58:38  
I always feel like learning some Japanese to have access to more content of it, but also we never know when someone else go ahead and do the work.

Just now i learned about wachenroder, a tactics-like game with cyberpunk thematics.

That got me really interested to see the story, but then the game was only released in japan, and its so cult that there is no translation of it
By Pantafernando 2023-11-19 14:59:57  
I need to get stronger in FFXI. I can't even handle 3 Demisang Fomors at once in Sortie. Two, it's like a boss battle. But 3+ is a death sentence.

SMH

Once you can handle 10 of it only using one hand, then maybe you can even hope to spar against me.

Mwahaha
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
By Asura.Vyre 2023-11-19 15:07:12  
Pantaguro

By Pantafernando 2023-11-19 15:44:19  
Pantaguro

This is more like it

[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-19 15:49:56  
Afania said: »
They need tenants to provide revenue to pay down that mortgage, empty units are just cash drains every month.

This is NOT always true. Short term capital gain(buy/sell only) is just as effective for generating revenue sometimes. In a region that housing prices are increasing rapidly, you can make money even with empty units.

I know someone irl who made +75% with buy/sell within 5 years, or 15% per year with his empty properties. He doesn't need rent money to pay for mortgage even if he has one.

If your goal is to buy a house, hold it for 1-2 year for short term capital gain then sell, getting tenants for rent is just more trouble since you'll have to deal with ad, maintenance, tenant problems AND you need to look for ways to get rid of tenants when you want to sell. Getting tenants for rent isn't "free extra money", it always comes with a cost. For some people this cost may not be worth it if buy/sell revenue is good enough for them.

In a high housing price region, I can totally see people choose to buy for capital gain instead of steady cashflow from rent. Because revenue from simply buy/sell is just that good.

Keep in mind that they also have to pay their mortgage, taxes, and insurance on the place, plus pay a realtor to sell it, closing costs, etc. so....

$1m mortgage is about 7k/month for 60 months, 420k, 6% realtor fees is $60,000, plus lawyer, title fees, etc. you're looking at well over 500k out of your 750k profit.

And if the property went up by 50% instead of 75% you made nothing. If it went up by a modest 5% per year, you lost hundreds of thousands. Also consider that even if you did make some tiny amount of money, that's no a very large ROI, especially when compared to inflation.

I mean, I'm not trying to say it's not profitable to flip properties, but the reality is that just holding on to property for 5 years, not renting it out, and hoping the gain in value is greater than the costs of ownership are...extremely questionable.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-11-19 16:37:13  
@Saevel

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I mean, I'm not trying to say it's not profitable to flip properties, but the reality is that just holding on to property for 5 years, not renting it out, and hoping the gain in value is greater than the costs of ownership are...extremely questionable.
For years Chinese have been buying property in Vancouver BC. They haven't been renting it, just sitting on it.

The city? province? finally had to take measures about so many housing units not being on the market, I believe a tax on housing vacant for some period of time.

In your infinite wisdom of the economics of housing, explain that please.
By Dodik 2023-11-19 16:49:12  
Chinese citizens are limited on the amount of capital they can keep in banks, which are government owned. Ownership of properties in china is also limited.

So they invest in overseas properties as a way to move capital out of the country.

Also buying property in a country worth over a certain threshold makes you eligible for a passport - country dependent.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-19 17:16:55  
@Saevel

For years Chinese have been buying property in Vancouver BC. They haven't been renting it, just sitting on it.

The city? province? finally had to take measures about so many housing units not being on the market, I believe a tax on housing vacant for some period of time.

In your infinite wisdom of the economics of housing, explain that please.

You mean the well known fact that Chinese are using overseas real estate as wealth store? It happens but they don't let the unit sit vacant, that would be bad. They attempt to rent it out, usually through some sort of local real estate agency. The unit I was in a few years ago was owned by a Chinese dude doing exactly that.

Nobody and I mean Nobody is letting units sit vacant, that is dumb and a big loss of money. You don't make money by refusing to make money. Worse yet, property goes bad if it sits empty too long, to keep maintain it's worth you end up having to hire someone to clean and do maintenance on it at least once a month.

That is what your not getting Chanti, this isn't about ideology, as much as you want it to be. This is about making money, the name of the game is moving the money from the renters pocket into the land owners pockets. That is kind of hard to do when there is no renter and you have monthly expenses that you have to cover. Then we have squatters, people who just move into a vacant home and then pretend they own it. The more .. anti-capitalist .. the local government is, the harder is it to remove them. Depending on location they can outright steal the title from you by claiming it was abandoned property. Having a renter inside there prevents that from happening.

Like I said before

Quote:
It seems like your more concerned with maintaining your "hate those evil people" belief then understanding what's going on. Even after admitting you didn't understand the economics you were positive there must be greedy / evil people somewhere on purpose denying people homes and making money by .... not making money... but they are definitely really evil and definitely really bad and we should definitely really hate them... cause reasons.
By Pantafernando 2023-11-19 17:54:04  
Playing Xenoblade 3 Future Redeem, i think funny how they simply said frigg it and make Rex OP.

Like: hey, make him have over 50% crit hit rate.

Also make each crit hit adds cumulative buff up to 100%

Also make each crit hit dealing extra 150%

Also make each crit hit fuel faster the special bar

Also make each crit hit fuel faster the average move

Also make each crit hit to ignore foes defense

Also make each crit hit to become unblockable.

Balance achieved
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2023-11-19 19:27:54  
Pantafernando said: »
Playing Xenoblade 3 Future Redeem, i think funny how they simply said frigg it and make Rex OP.

Like: hey, make him have over 50% crit hit rate.

Also make each crit hit adds cumulative buff up to 100%

Also make each crit hit dealing extra 150%

Also make each crit hit fuel faster the special bar

Also make each crit hit fuel faster the average move

Also make each crit hit to ignore foes defense

Also make each crit hit to become unblockable.

Balance achieved

They wanted to make Rex into Chadosaurus Rex.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2023-11-19 21:17:41  
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2484110/FINAL_FANTASY_VII_EVER_CRISIS/
Soon.
Can't wait to not have to deal with emulators again.
[+]
By Zehira 2023-11-19 21:29:03  
https://store.steampowered.com/app/70/HalfLife/

Free game until Nov 20 @ 1pm EST.
[+]
By Afania 2023-11-20 00:38:33  
And if the property went up by 50% instead of 75% you made nothing. If it went up by a modest 5% per year, you lost hundreds of thousands.

You are correct. It depends on the cost of holding empty properties. If this cost is high, the risk of holding empty properties is greater and vice versa.

According to this post:
https://storeys.com/city-of-vancouver-empty-homes-tax-report-2021-year/

Quote:
The Empty Homes Tax is doing what it was designed to do, the City of Vancouver said on Friday, as it published its annual report for the 2021 vacancy reference year.

The Empty Homes Tax first came into effect in 2017, and the City says that as the tax is reaching the end of its fifth year, the amount of vacant properties in Vancouver is now at 1,398, which is 36% less compared to when it was first implemented.

According to Saev nobody will hold empty units because they need rent money, by that logic Empty Homes Tax shouldn't do anything because people will choose to find tenants with or without EHT.

The reality is, EHT worked. Because making a profit by buy/sell only is now much harder with higher risks. It all depends on the cost of each decision.
First Page 2 3 ... 22497 22498 22499 ... 22709 22710 22711