Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22613 22614 22615 ... 22702 22703 22704
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 07:55:05  
Afania said: »
Did you not read any of what I wrote? You need people with diverse background in a creative team for different perspectives. Which leads to better writing from more interesting ideas.

Complete and utter nonsense.
Quote:
It sold about 1m copies afaik. MAYBE it's around 2-3m now.

Meanwhile Spider-Man 2 easily sold over 11m units.

People are brand hoes, you know this. This is why Fifa sells 40m copies and it's the same game over and over. A brand sells itself, the game doesn't even have to be good.

This is why Microsoft paid 6 billion to buy Activision, they didn't buy the developers. They were buying the CoD brand.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 07:55:13  
Spiderman 2 was also bundled with PS5's, in a time when finding a PS5 on the market was still somewhat scarce.
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:01:39  
RadialArcana said: »

Complete and utter nonsense.

It's not non-sense. We just have different preference in story. I prefer stories with a more diversified point of view. That doesn't make my preference non-sense.

You have the tendency to write like your personal preference is the most important one or something. Should have recognize other people may enjoy different things.
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:03:53  
People are brand hoes, you know this. This is why Fifa sells 40m copies and it's the same game over and over. A brand sells itself, the game doesn't even have to be good.

This is why Microsoft paid 6 billion to buy Activision, they didn't buy the developers. They were buying the CoD brand.

So why they aren't brand hoeing Shift Up and other Japanese games then?

Maybe because Korean and Japanese style aren't in the mainstream lol.
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:07:03  
Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Spiderman 2 was also bundled with PS5's, in a time when finding a PS5 on the market was still somewhat scarce.

There are many other western games that broke 10m, such as Hogwarts Legacy, Horizon zero dawn and God of war.

Horizon forbidden west and ghost of Tsushima also sale close to 10m.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 08:10:18  
You listed a bunch of games available on PS4
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-06 08:12:17  
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Not sure I personally put too much credence in the opinions of 1000 people on LinkedIn, but I guess it could be considered "research" by a loose definition.
https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-black-lives-matter-equal-opportunity-corporate-diversity/
US population: 70-75% white
S&P100 hires: 6% white

Is Bloomberg a good enough source for you? They break down plenty of statistics, attempting to paint this as a positive for minorities. In reality, white workers are underemployed relative to population percentage at almost all of these major companies, despite a higher proportion of white workers having the degrees required for those jobs.

If the goal is to get the most qualified people for a position, whites are going to be overrepresented relative to their population because a higher percentage of whites have the necessary qualifications. Asians are going to be drastically overrepresented because a *much* higher percentage of Asians have the necessary qualifications. This is what was happening, and the DEI squad decided it was unfair.

Now, the goal is to get the most underprivileged groups representation at least proportional to their population. This inherently creates a situation where less qualified applicants get positions, because a lower percentage of those groups have the necessary qualifications. But, since the goal is equal representation proportional to population, and Asians are both overrepresented and considered a minority, the jobs have to come from white people.

SCOTUS ruled against affirmative action in college admissions last year, after clear data was presented that indicated a gigantic gap in necessary SAT/ACT score by race. See 'SFAA vs Harvard' and 'SFAA vs UNC' for source. This displayed rampant discrimination against Asians to try to keep parity with population. The average Asian accepted to college nationwide had a SAT score 318 points higher than the average black student. The average white student was 174 points higher. Asian students are at a drastic disadvantage due solely to their race, and white students are at a lesser disadvantage.

You can't intentionally elevate a disadvantaged group without taking from somewhere, it's a zero sum game. In college admissions, Asians took the biggest hit. In corporate America, white men did. Anyway, like I said a few pages ago, it's not fair to dislike something just because it's diverse without evaluating the content. You shouldn't assume someone is incompetent because they're a minority, nor should you assume they earned their position because they are white or Asian. Everyone deserves to be evaluated individually. But, it is very easy to statistically prove discrimination is occurring, and it's disingenuous to assert otherwise.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:17:00  
You listed a bunch of games available on PS4

Even if you compare PS4 games with other PS4 games made by Japanese.

Which Japanese games available on PS4 sold better than most other western games?

Elden ring....

And?

There are no sign of Japanese style games magically sell more than everyone else. Nintendo, FromSoftware and possibly Capcom can do it, then occasionally you get indie hit like Palworld. That's it.

Western gaming industry isn't any weaker than Japanese imo.
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 08:17:35  
It's not non-sense. We just have different preference in story. I prefer stories with a more diversified point of view. That doesn't make my preference non-sense.

I was gonna write a big reply but I don't need to.

We see what this diverse writing room creates, garbage. We see it every day cause everything we consume is like this and it's all bottom of the barrel garbage that appeals to nobody.

Did you see the Witcher, what about the later series of Walking dead? Star Trek Discovery, anything star wars?

Here is what you need if you're writing a movie about star wars, a load of people who think like the target audience does and thinks the things they think are cool is cool. That's it, it's really simple. One person could do it, you don't need 8 of them from each demo.

I could write something better than all of those people they hired and I suck *** at writing, heck anyone here could. Cause we understand and love the source material and we understand what the fans want and like.
[+]
By Viciouss 2024-06-06 08:25:44  

I was gonna write a big reply but I don't need to.

We see what this diverse writing room creates, garbage. We see it every day cause everything we consume is like this and it's all bottom of the barrel garbage that appeals to nobody.

Did you see the Witcher, what about the later series of Walking dead? Star Trek Discovery, anything star wars?

Here is what you need if you're writing a movie about star wars, a load of people who think like the target audience does and thinks the things they think are cool is cool. That's it, it's really simple. One person could do it, you don't need 8 of them from each demo.

I could write something better than all of those people they hired and I suck *** at writing, heck anyone here could. Cause we understand and love the source material and we understand what the fans want and like.

I guess we should thank you for not writing a big reply consisting of made up nonsense. Sorry to hear everything you watch is garbage, I have been watching great shows that came out this year. Looking forward to the Boys and House of the Dragon this month.

Oh and Japan is not dominating the video game industry, or even close to it.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 08:29:27  
Viciouss said: »

What games have you enjoyed this year?
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:31:30  
Shiva.Thorny said: »
Anyway, like I said a few pages ago, it's not fair to dislike something just because it's diverse without evaluating the content. You shouldn't assume someone is incompetent because they're a minority, nor should you assume they earned their position because they are white or Asian. Everyone deserves to be evaluated individually. But, it is very easy to statistically prove discrimination is occurring, and it's disingenuous to assert otherwise.

Question.....If you are a hiring manager and the skill requirement for this job is 6, and you have a minority with different background from everyone else with skill level 7, and another individual with same background as everyone else with a skill level 8.

Would you hire more diverse people with lower skill level that can still do the job, or would you hire less diversed people with higher skill level that may not be required for the job?

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/relationship-between-diversity-productivity-workforce-adesoji

Just based on what people said about diversity increasing innovation, I would consider diversity if I am hiring as well. I don't know why people keep saying this is a bad thing.

(Obviously it isn't fair to white people not getting the job, but being fair is ALSO an ideology argument, not productivity argument. I am only discussing best practice on management here)
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 08:36:16  
I dont have a problem with diversity hires when all things are equal, I dont think most people have a problem with that. The problem isnt hiring "skill level 7 minorities for a skill level 7 job", the problem is hiring "skill level 5 minorities for a skill level 9 job" because of diversity requirements.
[+]
 Asura.Iamaman
サーバ: Asura
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-06-06 08:36:45  
The Witcher bombing had nothing to do with diversity, it had to do with their lack of respect for the source material and thinking they could do better, then applying lessons from Marvel level writing. The end result was, as I mentioned before, something less diverse and less empowering to some of the female characters in particular. There were rumors they were laughing about how much they hated the source material.

I know some people got irritated about some of the casting decisions, but wooden acting on the part of a few of them, the writing was the real problem and the showrunner who felt she could change the characters and screwed it up. This isn't unique to The Witcher, the final two seasons of GoT suffers from the same problem and both showrunners were white men.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:39:36  
We see what this diverse writing room creates, garbage.

Personal opinion, okay.

LOL okay. When you finish a movie script one day, make sure to inform me so I can see if that's true.

Growing up I've seen entirely way too many people say the same thing you just said above. Except most people who actually work in films would never say that. Dunning-Kruger effect at fullest.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-06 08:42:36  
I dont have a problem with diversity hires when all things are equal, I dont think most people have a problem with that. The problem isnt hiring "skill level 7 minorities for a skill level 7 job", the problem is hiring "skill level 5 minorities for a skill level 9 job" because of diversity requirements.

I think most people overrated skill requirement for most jobs though. There are a lot of jobs in job market are "easy jobs" with low skill requirement. Not all jobs requires high skill.

Anyways it is hard to evaluate actual requirement for a job unless you are HR. So this kind of argument is hard to find an evidence for.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-06 08:43:08  
Another instance of things that arent happening, happening.

https://www.thefa.com/bootroom/about/ways-we-can-help/club-placement-programme

Quote:
APPLICATION CRITERIA
If you’d like to be considered for one of the placements, here are the criteria you’ll need to match as part of your application:

Personal Specification

FA Level 3 (UEFA B) in Coaching Football
FA Youth Modules 1-2-3 or equivalent Block 1 and 2 of the new Level 2
Current DBS clearance
FA Safeguarding and Emergency Aid/ BFAS Qualifications
Computer literate
FA licensed coach
Essential Requirements

A desire to pursue a career in the football industry and be committed, enthusiastic and highly motivated, showing a passion for developing players
Ability to work as part of a team and buy-in to the academy philosophy
A positive and professional attitude and the ability to work with a range of individuals
Enhanced DBS clearance prior to taking the job role
Have a flexible attitude to work and be able to work independently and proactively
Clubs would welcome applications from:

Male applicants of Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic origin who:
Aged 18 years or older
Hold the FA Level 3 (UEFA B) in Coaching Football qualification
Female applicants (of any ethnic origin) who are:
Aged 18 years or older
Hold the FA Level 3 (UEFA B) in Coaching Football qualification

They said they welcome applicants from minority races...this isn't a requirement...

Yeah that Star Wars stuff sucks, they never should've hired Rian Johnson & JJ Abrams, *** diversity hiring woke trash.

Interesting data Thorny, thanks for sharing. I think your 70% number is...way off though? US Census bureau says that as of 4 years ago White was 57.8% Meanwhile, representation at those companies is 70+% white. I mean, I guess you could say that the hires in that particular year were disproportionate but also...probably no industry or company exists anywhere that hires all their employees at exactly proportionate rates to the racial balance of their community. And TBH, who's to say there aren't two applicants whose experience/credentials are more-or-less equivalent and then they chose to go with the POC rather than the white? The whole thing hinges on the fact that whites are more qualified than the POC who are "replacing" them. Fact of the matter is the "qualifications" for a lot of these jobs are also highly subjective and the "best" person for the job is similar. The cinematographer for Solo had decades of experience and has worked on a whole shitload of successful films...was he not experienced enough to be the cinematographer for that film, should he have not been selected, in favor of hiring a white cinematographer with 5 more years' experience? What is the solution here, please propose one? How many years' professional motorcycle driving is appropriate for a stunt driver? Which white male stunt driver do you think lost the role that cause Joi to die?

I think it's really difficult to put forth your arguments without saying that white people are better than other races though, which is racist AF in my opinion.

There's plenty to be gained by having a diverse workforce, in age, gender, race, country of origin, and pretty much any other metric. Having more perspectives is great and it brings different things to the table. If you have two similarly qualified candidates, it's probably best to pick the one that doesn't match your existing staff so you can get a qualified person who ALSO might bring up something the rest of your staff might not think of. If you haven't experienced this, maybe you need to broaden your horizons a bit.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-06 08:47:58  
Would you hire more diverse people with lower skill level that can still do the job, or would you hire less diversed people with higher skill level that may not be required for the job?

This is an abstract example that can't be extrapolated to 100 different business's hiring practices. Your link claims study results, but does not provide any peer-reviewed studies to actually back them up. I would like to see the methodology before commenting further, but I'd immediately point out that productivity inherently increases over time due to better technology, improvement of company itself, etc. Given the diversity push has also increased over time, you have a biasing factor that may not be fairly accounted for.

Further, there's no measured 'degree' to which diversity matters in this case. I can certainly understand the argument that having a handful of voices from different backgrounds and giving them appropriate attention is likely to provide new ideas, especially in creative areas. But, does that mean you should prioritize diversity to the extent that each group has representation and then prioritize qualifications.. or does it mean you should aim for complete parity between diversity over qualifications? These aren't easy questions, and there are actual peer-reviewed studies indicating that diversity of background reduces social cohesion, which would create a worse workplace experience[and worse output as a result].

Personally, on a creative project I would feel it's valuable to have input from varied backgrounds, and I would base some hires on that. On a less creative project, I would go solely off of qualifications and perceived intelligence.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 08:50:32  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
The Witcher bombing had nothing to do with diversity,

Just go do this.

Go look up the people who wrote on the Witcher sries, then look at the things they wrote before being given that job. The reason they hate the source material, is because they were not hired as fans of that material in the first place and instead hired based on group identity. So the problem is the diversity in the writing room.

If you have to hire 60% women, then you're going to hire whatever women are available that can write. Even if the things they normally write is romantic comedies and they hate Witcher and fantasy.
 Shiva.Thorny
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-06-06 09:01:34  
I think your 70% number is...way off though? US Census bureau says that as of 4 years ago White was 57.8% Meanwhile, representation at those companies is 70+% white.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US#
Seems they fudge the numbers by seperating hispanic or non-hispanic from the race question. You probably can get further into white-passing and whether people are claiming the same race on census as a job application, but I'll accept that the numbers are slightly off.

Representation at those companies is *not* 70%+ white, it's 74% for executives but only 63% for managers, 57% for professionals, and 48% for lower roles. When you incorporate the quantity of people with degrees by race, white degree holders are drastically underrepresented in every role except executive, even if you assume the 57.8% number is correct.

I'm going to skip over all your arguments relating to specific cinematographers and the stunt driver, because I never commented on those in the first place. I was solely addressing the issue of diversity in hiring bias, and I have no knowledge of their competence.

I think it's really difficult to put forth your arguments without saying that white people are better than other races though, which is racist AF in my opinion.
As long as college degrees are the primary initial hiring criteria, this can be quantified. As of 2018, the most recent year I can find, the percentage of people with a college degree by race is:
Asian: 56.5%
White: 35.2%
Black: 25.2%
Hispanic: 18.3%

I'm not arguing that whites(or asians) are better than other races. I'm stating that statistically, a higher percentage of these races will qualify for these desirable jobs. Thus, their representation would show that in a fair system. It doesn't matter how many [race] are in the country, it matters how many [race with degree] are.. which is what all of these forced diversity initiatives intentionally overlook.

If you go further, you could claim the degree is not as necessary as experience, but odds are the initial jobs to get that experience needed a degree too. There isn't full and complete data on every aspect of hiring, it's not broken down by field, etc. However, you can easily prove that a system attempting to reach proportional hiring relative to population will result in a lower hiring rate for whites or asians relative to their qualifications, and a higher hiring rate for blacks and hispanics relative to their qualifications. It's beyond debate.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-06 09:03:57  
Asura.Iamaman said: »
The Witcher bombing had nothing to do with diversity,

Just go do this.

Go look up the people who wrote on the Witcher sries, then look at the things they wrote before being given that job. The reason they hate the source material, is because they were not hired as fans of that material in the first place and instead hired based on group identity. So the problem is the diversity in the writing room.

If you have to hire 60% women, then you're going to hire whatever women are available that can write. Even if the things they normally write is romantic comedies and they hate Witcher and fantasy.

I'm not sure I've seen the end of the show, maybe the last season was bad? I loved what I've seen of the Witcher so far I thought it was amazing. It also has largely positive reviews and seems to have been generally well-regarded?

Also: you shouldn't hire the person who is the biggest fan of the source material, you should hire the person who is the best writer. What is "the best writer" you ask? I agree, that ***is really subjective so I have no idea how you have become the czar of objective qualifications for dozens of different media roles...all I can tell is that you've decided women and POC are not qualified and there DEFINITELY are better-qualified white men for every role in every movie, tv show, or video game and they should be hired instead...it's very strange.

Where did you get the idea that someone needed to hire 60% women for a role/company/project? Did you just make that up in your head to make yourself angry? Honestly, it's very telling that when you see a staff list that includes less than 50% white men you immediately assume that all the women and POC on there were hired only because of their race/gender and not because *gasp* there might be qualified non-white men in the world who can do a job effectively.
[+]
By Dodik 2024-06-06 09:10:33  
After Witcher season 2 the story got changed waaaaaay beyond any minor or reasonable changes from the source material.

It stopped being "The Witcher" and became "Everyone But The Witcher".

Including plot lines with Ciri and the sorceresses that never happened in the books, huge story lines being changed, major events being changed for no reason other than to "make it cool" or to show some unnecessary CGI battle.

Geralt kept getting shafted over and over and over, patronised by minor characters, made to look like a fool for seemingly no reason. That those characters just happened to be women made it all more obvious where that kind of writing was coming from.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 09:21:45  
Also: you shouldn't hire the person who is the biggest fan of the source material, you should hire the person who is the best writer. What is "the best writer" you ask? I agree, that ***is really subjective so I have no idea how you have become the czar of objective qualifications for dozens of different media roles.
Hence why you get the biggest fan of the source material instead of the best writer who has no idea what they're writing about.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-06 09:26:14  
Also: you shouldn't hire the person who is the biggest fan of the source material, you should hire the person who is the best writer. What is "the best writer" you ask? I agree, that ***is really subjective so I have no idea how you have become the czar of objective qualifications for dozens of different media roles.
Hence why you get the biggest fan of the source material instead of the best writer who has no idea what they're writing about.

OK, grab some dumbass off a fan forum who's never written a line of dialogue in their life then, and hope that their understanding of the deep lore of characters' hair colors helps them to write compelling dialogue and character development, I guess. Good luck! Writing isn't complicated anyway, we're doing it right now, how hard could it be?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-06 09:29:10  
Would you ask Stephen King to write a romance novel?
[+]
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Leonkasai
By Leon Kasai 2024-06-06 09:31:59  
Welp, it really was just another normal space. Guess it was just a countdown to the media tour stuff releasing.

The Blitzball dream is dead! /s
By Afania 2024-06-06 09:35:49  
Viciouss said: »

What games have you enjoyed this year?

I don't normally play the newest release, but I counted about 16 Japanese games that I played this year.

Only really love 2 out 16 games. (MegaMan X Legacy Collection and Devil May Cry 5)

Dropped 3 games out of 16(Sekiro, Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak and Gundam Battle Operation 2)

Currently playing Disgaea, which I really want to drop too, due to the game being TOO grindy in terms of mechanics.

The rest of the games are okay. Not too bad, not too good. I just consume them quickly and move to the next then forget about it.

I fail to understand the whole "Japanese dominate gaming industry" talk. Like all other games, I love small amount of Japanese games, dropped or don't enjoy many more because of preference. Japanese games aren't inherently better nor worse than games from other regions.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2024-06-06 09:36:46  
Would you ask Stephen King to write a romance novel?

He'd sure as hell be a whole lot better than the biggest fan of romance novels on the planet who's never written a book before, IMO.

It should be a balancing act between all those things and frankly, I think those roles should be separated entirely. Have a separate person who understands the deep lore of the material who's available to proof-read stuff and also a highly skilled writer who can write good stuff.

If it has to be the same person, I'd say it's a balancing act between the two and if you prioritize only knowledge of the material you're not going to end up with the best product
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-06 10:00:27  
Microsoft Recall has to be the biggest red flag to the future of Windows yet, they are implementing a system that takes screenshots every few seconds of your desktop and then uses AI to figure out what you're doing (and probably harvests that data) Not only that but if someone hacks your computer, they can currently also use it to find out masses amounts of information about you.

Right now it's optional and only in their laptop ranges, coming soon they will most likely put it into the latest versions of windows you're forced to install and then you won't be doing any naughty stuff anymore like using adblock or watching a torrent you downloaded 5 years ago.

Microsoft really needs to be broken up as a dominant monopoly, we need another OS that is actually comparable to Windows. if not for the fact Microsoft works with all the intel agencies around the world and is a US mega corporation that would happen.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-06-06 10:02:55  
Shiva.Thorny said: »
You can't intentionally elevate a disadvantaged group without taking from somewhere, it's not a zero sum game.
I think you meant it is a zero-sum game? Because that's when one player's gains result in another player's loss.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 22613 22614 22615 ... 22702 22703 22704