Spell Sets
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 11:47:31  
Bahamut.Yoroitsune said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Bandwagon Blu reporting in!!! At least I'm asking for advice on how to do it right :/ Lately it seems blu's just want all the grellow spells and refresh trait.

This is pretty much all of what blu is useful for.

AoE TE burning and proc spells.

If you're using it for anything else you're doing it wrong.

No, you are wrong.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 11:48:17  
BLU is the strongest non buffed DD outside of Abyssea. BLU is the second best healer in the game. BLU can outclass a lot of DD inside abyssea with Almace and makes an adequate tank as well, provided no HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE attacking speed/gimmicks that would otherwise prefer evasion or counterstanced tanks.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-14 11:50:40  
And Vereth MNK won't outdamage Ukon WAR. Is Vereth MNK useless?!

Not to mention Almace BLU can outdamage Vereth MNK sometimes... it's a bit of a toss up among the high tier empyreans.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-14 11:50:49  
Bahamut.Yoroitsune said:
If you're using it for anything else you're doing it wrong.

We have a very good BLU in our low man set for lolgrellow (half the spells in may!). I am using it for "giving me something to do and to dump merits into" and "a fun job to *** around with solo when im bored". If that's "doing it wrong" then there really is no fun left in FFXI :<
 Bahamut.Yoroitsune
user: ForteGSX
By Bahamut.Yoroitsune 2011-04-14 11:53:10  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
And Vereth MNK won't outdamage Ukon WAR. Is Vereth MNK useless?!

Not to mention Almace BLU can outdamage Vereth MNK sometimes... it's a bit of a toss up among the high tier empyreans.

You've been playing with the wrong mnks then !
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-14 11:55:01  
Mathematically, Ukon WAR is top DD in the game. CdC has the potential to and often outdamages Victory Smite and of course BLU has extremely powerful spells/solo SC potential (CdC => Benthic). BLU has a wide range of debuffs/different damage types etc to choose from to fight against MNK's vastly superior melee DoT.

I wouldn't say it's cut and dry.

EDIT: Aside from Ryunohige DRG!
 Bahamut.Yoroitsune
user: ForteGSX
By Bahamut.Yoroitsune 2011-04-14 11:58:45  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Mathematically, Ukon WAR is top DD in the game. CdC has the potential to and often outdamages Victory Smite and of course BLU has extremely powerful spells/solo SC potential (CdC => Benthic). BLU has a wide range of debuffs/different damage types etc to choose from to fight against MNK's vastly superior melee DoT.

Protip: MP runs out.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 12:00:38  
lol
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-14 12:04:29  
MP is just a supplement to your damage! I wouldn't want to be constant casting cause it'd hurt my Almace anyway. Refreshes tend to cover my MP expenditure.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-14 16:50:03  
Bahamut.Yoroitsune said:
Protip: MP runs out.
So does hp :)
By kkcare 2011-04-14 18:04:18  
SO help here am alway whm but i like to try my blu in abyssea can you tell me what good spell to use on NM FOR yellow proc
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 18:10:42  
kkcare said:
SO help here am alway whm but i like to try my blu in abyssea can you tell me what good spell to use on NM FOR yellow proc

Spam foot kick and it will proc eventually ^^
[+]
 Sylph.Darkei
サーバ: Sylph
user: Darkei
By Sylph.Darkei 2011-04-14 18:20:52  
question, which atmas/spells are good for exp-party? especially in dolls,
last night I'm surprised for the average damage performed by a BLU with decent (nothing amazing) gear, but he speed the party incredibly killing the dolls almost as blm
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-14 18:25:29  
Standard BLU with no Almace, RR/VV/MM might be best or RR/MM/Apoc. Many don't care for the insta cast on Apoc but it really is a nice perk. I have insta casted twice in a row on gob rush for a total of 3 and dealt around 4k dmg or so, the TA is also a bonus for tp phase. VV mainly for spells but also helps TP for vorpal. QC, Gob rush, delta thrust, dissv, vanity dive, BT all good spells to spam. With MM and decent refresh in gear you can spam it up.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-14 18:53:29  
i thought smite was pretty good, haven't seen much of cdc. i thought smite was better than cdc (maybe it is outside of abyssea?), what are the numbers like?
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2011-04-14 20:34:38  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:

An pld with an ochain with 40 mobs feeding them tp can out dd everyone. You can ws faster than with a brew, it's just a little unwieldy to use and you'd better not turn your back. Just a little bit funny when you see it...
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-14 20:47:21  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
i thought smite was pretty good, haven't seen much of cdc. i thought smite was better than cdc (maybe it is outside of abyssea?), what are the numbers like?

Smite is amazing and in raw stats, the best WS in the game. The nice thing about CdC is that the DEX mod means you can pile on DEX for both critrate and damage: MNK (and most jobs) must choose.
 Bismarck.Zeota
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Zeota
By Bismarck.Zeota 2011-04-15 07:44:15  
So over 48 hours into being an almace BLU and I've wound up tanking every NM our group has fought at some point. I think I'm starting to become hooked on BLU/WAR.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-15 07:59:01  
Bismarck.Zeota said:
So over 48 hours into being an almace BLU and I've wound up tanking every NM our group has fought at some point. I think I'm starting to become hooked on BLU/WAR.

Why /war?
 Bismarck.Zeota
By Bismarck.Zeota 2011-04-15 08:05:41  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Bismarck.Zeota said:

Why /war?
Stacking berserk/warcry/t.roar before cracking off a WS. Why else? I tried offhanding a Genbu's shield for a bit to experiment with fencer, but I had better results just dual wielding like usual.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-15 08:35:50  
I wasn't attempting to call you out. I am new to blue mage (<< OP) and wanted to know "why" lol. I didn't know if you defender'ed for cannonball and i assumed berserk would cause you to lose more enmity per hit you took. I was just looking for information :/
 Bismarck.Zeota
By Bismarck.Zeota 2011-04-15 11:21:50  
Well cannonball was big back in the days of 75 and people used /thf in a number of big fights (Odin, turtle, behemoth to name a few). I really don't use cannonball much anymore these days outside of having to claim contested mobs (i.e. gukumatz). I've done blu/war in stuff like einherjar back in the day for pulling and for the final ACP fight. Cocoon+defender are hot ***.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-15 11:22:52  
Bismarck.Zeota said:

Yus, I hope you have some PDT/MDT sets cause as soon as you get Almace on BLU you're pretty much permanently tanking :|
 Bismarck.Zeota
By Bismarck.Zeota 2011-04-15 11:32:23  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Bismarck.Zeota said:

Yus, I hope you have some PDT/MDT sets cause as soon as you get Almace on BLU you're pretty much permanently tanking :|
I'm starting to see what you meant by "if you don't constantly pull hate, I want your DD's". We usually bring 1-2 fairly decked out WARs with ukko's and a decently geared masamune SAM and I've ripped hate from them a number of times. I never realized what a paradigm shift this thing really was.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-15 11:40:00  
Even the WoE version rips hate. Then again alot of the tanks/DDs out there aren't that great. Most the time when I was doing nms with blu it would be stand around with VV for regain /sigh do red ws. Then after proc do one CDC and regardless of how much hp the tank had taken down by himself generally pull hate. Definitely if I CA benthic onto it lol
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-15 11:50:11  
Quote:
I'm starting to see what you meant by "if you don't constantly pull hate, I want your DD's". We usually bring 1-2 fairly decked out WARs with ukko's and a decently geared masamune SAM and I've ripped hate from them a number of times. I never realized what a paradigm shift this thing really was.

Indeed, I love it to death >:3 luckily BLU is a good tank!

I highly recommend setting sTP/DA traits if you haven't already. Almace is challenging to play because there are so many different ways of playing it, but I personally like to play as a full melee using my spells as supplements to my damage.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-15 11:52:13  
Raen can you make me an almace pretty please
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-04-15 12:01:44  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Raen can you make me an almace pretty please

If only we were inheriting Bahamut..... So much more would be getting done T.T
 Bismarck.Zeota
By Bismarck.Zeota 2011-04-15 12:18:33  
Well not really though as you'd just have more people fighting over the more contested NM's.