users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Strap for BLM
Strap for BLM
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-31 09:17:42  
Also, everyone's math is citing the damage boost is .03 mab when going from 10% > 13%. However, won't gear that has +magic crit rate have the same decreasing returns that double attack does when stacking the trait?

If my math is right, adding a wise strap to a 10% base will only increase your mab by .027. Amirite?

edit: ignoring bonus from emp +2 gloves
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-05-31 09:23:43  
Sylph.Krsone said:
Asura.Tawhoya said:
Does anyone know what the latent req are for Ossa grip?
No but suggestions as to what it could be hp/mp/tp trigger using ice spells possibly on iceday or ice weather Possibly only procs if conserve mp or magic crit hit happens? I still personally wouldnt bother buying one, inventory issue.

I am mostly wondering about it for Herculean Slash on drk. I am not sure how to test MAB though. I am willing to test it, however, if I can get some insight on how to go about it.
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-05-31 09:25:00  
Ahhhh good point maybe latent only active wen engaged to a mob like regain moonshade earring.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-05-31 10:09:09  
Awesome. Thanks for the help.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 11:59:45  
Cerberus.Kaht said:
Also, everyone's math is citing the damage boost is .03 mab when going from 10% > 13%. However, won't gear that has +magic crit rate have the same decreasing returns that double attack does when stacking the trait?

If my math is right, adding a wise strap to a 10% base will only increase your mab by .027. Amirite?

edit: ignoring bonus from emp +2 gloves
No. Existing mcrit gear doesn't change it's average impact (and I'm not sure why you're saying everyone, because I sure didn't do that), just the % increase in damage from said increase. You're trying to calculate the latter and then calling it MAB when you should be calculating the former and then working out its increase in damage as a percentage.

Bismarck.Kyaaadaa said:
For me, 13% crit rate, I see at least one proc of crit per NM, saving me effectively the casting of a Tier IV spell, both the MP and the time. Can 1 INT do that also?
A crit with AF3+2 gloves is what, +15 MAB? I don't think 1.95 average MAB is actually saving you a T4 on average if you're only nuking enough to see 1-2 procs on average.
 Cerberus.Kaht
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kaht
By Cerberus.Kaht 2011-05-31 12:08:08  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
No. Existing mcrit gear doesn't change it's average impact (and I'm not sure why you're saying everyone, because I sure didn't do that)

Sorry, I mistyped and meant .3 and .27 for my figures above.

Also, if you have the time, could you explain why there would not be decreasing returns from stacking +m.crit gear, and showing the correlation to DA and why it does?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 12:17:56  
Cerberus.Kaht said:
Also, if you have the time, could you explain why there would not be decreasing returns from stacking +m.crit gear, and showing the correlation to DA and why it does?
I never said it doesn't have decreasing returns.

Adding MAB without altering spell base damage adds the same numerical amount of damage every time you increase MAB by a certain amount. Linear returns with respect to damage added per nuke, which is where people get confused and try to argue stats like DA have linear returns. In practice we care about the percent increase in DPS (or damage per nuke, as it were), which is where decreasing returns come into play. However, if you're just working it out via rule-of-thumb (1.6 INT = 1 MAB or whatever the common rule is these days), all you need is the amount of MAB added on average because you can then compare it to the amount of INT you're giving up. It's not as precise, but it's effective enough for general use.
 Leviathan.Alas
サーバ: Leviathan
user: alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-05-31 16:18:01  
Assuming 3% additional magic crit rate is actually 2.7% factoring in diminishing returns, your crit damage would have to exceed 223 bonus damage on a crit proc for Wise Strap to pull ahead of 1 Int in a DoT situation. (This assumes 1 Int =~6 damage - which last I checked was what 1 Int did for me)
However, when nuking in Abyssea where 2-shotting mobs is the standard, 1 int is not going to make the difference between 2-shotting and 3-shotting. Adding a greater chance at critical damage proc may be beneficial if the damage increase is enough to allow for greater frequency of 1-shots. If it doesn't, then what you have in your sub slot is completely irrelevant, thus people saying use a Vivid Strap. Vivid +1 has 1 Int on it too, but good luck finding one of those. The only way you're doingitwrong is using an Elementa Grip. That thing is just garbage and doing absolutely nothing for you if you have capped ele skill and merits. Hell, merits may even be a complete waste at this point. Haven't met anything inside or outside Abyssea that requires adding in M.Acc or Skill.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-05-31 16:22:28  
Leviathan.Alas said:
Hell, merits may even be a complete waste at this point. Haven't met anything inside or outside Abyssea that requires adding in M.Acc or Skill.

Merits are worthless now. Only ones that actually matter are Enhancing, Blue Magic, Summoning, and Dark Magic. Could make a case for Healing skill(cursna) and like... String skill(horde lullaby AoE).
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-31 17:22:51  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Leviathan.Alas said:
Hell, merits may even be a complete waste at this point. Haven't met anything inside or outside Abyssea that requires adding in M.Acc or Skill.

Merits are worthless now. Only ones that actually matter are Enhancing, Blue Magic, Summoning, and Dark Magic. Could make a case for Healing skill(cursna) and like... String skill(horde lullaby AoE).
^

Only magic merits that really matter now are those that contribute something other than macc. Ninjutsu could also potentially be included, since skill at time of cast affects the proc threshold of Migawari (AF3+2 body still procs when damage is taken, not time of cast).
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-05-31 17:26:04  
i merited ninjutsu for super nuking damage