Screenshot Submission: Is Approval Needed? + More

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Screenshot Submission: Is Approval Needed? + More
Screenshot Submission: Is Approval Needed? + More
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-21 20:09:02  
Screenshot submission is a big feature for this site. People get on they see a list of most watched items, players, and linkshells. They see an RSS feed of the recent news, a list of the most recent topics on the forums, and a section just for recently submitted screenshots.

There is an issue, and as an example I will point out the most recent problem at the time of this post.

I would like to point out that I did not post a screenshot in this example, and this is not a rant because my entry didn't get enough views (as I did not post a screenshot). I am not affected by this, it is simply a inquiry as to why the system is like this.

As of today, August 21 2011, there were a total of 65 screenshots approved. There is no way that users are going to go through all of these.

Now, what is the issue here?

The problem is, some users post screenshots for their player page, and that's all they want. Other players post them for the community to view, and it is these who should be displayed to the community.

That isn't the only problem though. Like I said before, there were 65 screenshots approved at once. There is no way that they were all submitted today. The screenshots last approved were on august 19th, and then the ones from 20-21 all get approved at the same time on the 21'st. That is why there are 65 screenshots. Not to mention that there are some of them that have their ratings deactivated and comments deactivated. Do these really need to be displayed on the front page? This is clearly just for their player page. Every screenshot should be granted the same amount of opportunity to be viewed by the public if they wish for it to be. But when there are 65 screenshots approved at once the people who waited 2 days to finally have their screenshot approved are actually in the back of the line, and only a handful of people will ever view their screenshot. This could even make them delete the screenshot and resubmit it so it gets view time. Duplicate screenshots are always an issue, it just creates more clutter.

I have a few suggestions for the screenshot system that I think should be considered. But first, I wan't the title of my topic to be answered:

Is screenshot approval really necessary?

I ask this because I really want to know. Are there a lot of screenshots that get submitted that get rejected? Is this number large enough to hold up the system for days for them to be released in waves? We have a report feature on screenshots now, if there is something that we feel shouldn't be on this website we can report it. Instant approval would mean that people get their fair chance for views if they are after that. Speaking of that, here is that suggestion.

Suggestion: Private Screenshots

During screenshot submission we have options to disable ratings, or disable comments. Why not add one that makes them private.

Private screenshots would make screenshots bypass the front page and only show on the player page. This would create less clutter, the stuff that pisses people off and go on [-] rages and insulting the people for submitting such a useless screenshot. We don't need that in the community, the name calling and what not. It can be cut down a bit if we enable an option to just keep it to our player page, and not on the front page. We could still enable ratings and comments, but the reason for the submission wasn't for views, but simply for their player page.

You can even go a step further with this, and have an option for private screenshots to be only viewable by players on your friend list. This would make use out of the friend system on this site much more as well. Also allowing the screenshots to be viewed by the people you wanted to view them in the first place. There could also be an option to notify friends (with a PM to all your friends) of the screenshot, or the screenshot itself could be pm'ed to them with a link the the screenshot page. A lot could be done here and make the site more interactive and fun for the community. There could also be a list under our members menu (right side of the screen) of the most recent friend submissions starting from the most recent. You could even have a scroll box to scroll down and view 20 or 30 previews, and when you clicked on one it would take you to the screenshot page. Again, lowering the clutter on the public screenshots and only have the people you want to view them view them.

This would prevent clutter on the front page, including those empy screenshots that people want on their player page but don't necessarily want people to view it for a day or two to call them out for posting yet another screenshot of this weapon. It doesn't only stop at weapons, but including personal photos of yourself or so on that you don't want everyone to see necessarily, but would like on your player page.

Also, what if it's an item? Some users post item screenshots because the item page doesn't have anything. Sometimes its for fun so it's nice to share it with the community, but stuff like the item description box? If you made that type of thing private then people would still see it on the item page, but it wouldn't make a mess of the front page.

Speaking of preventing clutter, my last suggestion:

Have item screenshots viewable on the player page as well

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post a screenshot of an item for the item page, and also post it on their player page. That is extremely annoying, but I get why people do that even though I think they shouldn't. So if it is submitted under an item, have a box that asks the user "Let this be viewable on my player page as well" or something. This would prevent those duplicate screenshots that drive people crazy and proceed to do the rate downs.

Anyways, this was meant to provide some ideas as to clear out some of the clutter people post, but still give them options. If they want to post for their player page but don't want it on the front page they should be able to without having players comment on why they submitted it. There is only a limited amount of space on the front page for screenshots and only those recent 12 actually get heavy views. I'm not saying that every screenshot needs 100+ views, but when you get pushed in the back of a line of 65 or more, your not going to get very many. Plus giving the option for screenshots to only be viewed on your player page and not the front page means that people will be more willing to post them for their page. This means that there will be a larger more friendly community, and if someone really wanted to talk bad about a screenshot they have to take the effort of finding said persons player page and comment there. I see way too many screenshots of people saying something bad about the user because of the content of the screenshot and get 50 likes because people thought it was stupid as well.

If it is just on their player page and not flooding the front page then why does it matter if they post said screenshot? It wouldn't receive such nasty comments and people wouldn't have second thoughts as to whether they should post this or not because it wouldn't be approved by everyone and would get tarnished. It might of been a personal achievement for them but not by the community. Do they really need to get called out saying it's not an achievement and they are stupid for thinking so? If they want others to judge they can post publicly, but if they want to post privately then why shouldn't they be able to? So what if you can disable comments and ratings, it still gets posted on the front page. What stops others from making fun of them/harassing them on their player page as well (I see it with almost every screenshot deemed worthless by the community)? You can delete comments you don't want to see but why does it have to come to that?
[+]
 Bahamut.Degeneration
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Degeneration 2011-08-21 20:26:48  
Suggestion: Private Screenshots

I like this idea the best. :)
[+]
 Leviathan.Narshe
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Narshee
By Leviathan.Narshe 2011-08-21 20:32:06  
Kalilla should be a mod >_>
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-08-21 20:47:59  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
everything

thank you
[+]
 Shiva.Karichan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Kari
By Shiva.Karichan 2011-08-21 20:56:38  
Private Screenshots should definitely be an option, or at least a way to not have it appear on the front page.

I'd like to know how many screenshots get rejected. If it's fairly small, we could probably depend on the community to flag it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Leoheart
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-08-21 20:58:30  
Why not just have Screenshot categories instead?
VIP
By alyria 2011-08-21 21:00:08  
Quote:
I ask this because I really want to know. Are there a lot of screenshots that get submitted that get rejected?

We review them and yes some do get rejected.

Quote:
Is this number large enough to hold up the system for days for them to be released in waves?

It depends which one of us is on and if we are able to go and view the screenshots. Some of us work from phones, so screenshots may sit for a while. Sometimes it can be a few that upload a bunch at once that we will review and approve.

Quote:
We have a report feature on screenshots now, if there is something that we feel shouldn't be on this website we can report it.

We have had reports on images that we approved but then later a person may report and then send a PM about why they are reporting it. Recently we had one which was basically "harassing" another player using through screenshot. It depends on what the nature of report is, but we approve all if they aren't breaking rules.

And people can disable comments, rating, and delete.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-21 21:05:55  
Yea, and right now we do have a lot of freedom to control our screenshots. I just don't enjoy seeing this many screenshots being approved at once, that's the only reason I brought this up. I understand everyone has a life and can't be on here looking at screenshots all the time, just think that the system could be improved by allowing users to upload a screenshot without it being on the front page is all.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-08-21 21:08:19  
Keep in mind we also have a fail safe, where screenshots get auto-approved if none of us are available to approve them for X amount of time at a stretch.
VIP
By alyria 2011-08-21 21:08:41  
Yea, and right now we do have a lot of freedom to control our screenshots. I just don't enjoy seeing this many screenshots being approved at once, that's the only reason I brought this up. I understand everyone has a life and can't be on here looking at screenshots all the time, just think that the system could be improved by allowing users to upload a screenshot without it being on the front page is all.

Just seemed more than that since you wrote a huge post. If you just want to suggest the ability to submit private screenshots, you could've just said that. But I think that would be a good idea. Might be a separate script for Scragg to do it, but I think it is possible.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-21 21:09:02  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said: »
Keep in mind we also have a fail safe, where screenshots get auto-approved if none of us are available to approve them for X amount of time at a stretch.
I did not know that, but I was actually going to bring that up in my OP but forgot.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-08-21 21:11:58  
hi kalilaface

gav(renzy/darkstaruk) says hi
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-21 21:12:37  
Pandemonium.Ironguy said: »
hi kalilaface

gav(renzy/darkstaruk) says hi
hi hi <3
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-21 21:42:45  
Aly Saxena said: »
Just seemed more than that since you wrote a huge post.
It was and wasn't. When I write about something I have a strong opinion on I kinda get lost and write way too much~ Have to work on that :(
 Bahamut.Aeronis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-08-21 22:27:42  
It was and wasn't. When I write about something I have a strong opinion on I kinda get lost and write way too much~ Have to work on that :(
Lol nah, makes you look smarts :3

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-21 22:30:52  
Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Bahamut.Aeronis said: »
Lol nah, makes you look boreds :3
lol, that too. Hate fighting Bukhis :(
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2011-08-21 22:50:29  
Kalilla has a number of good ideas and we will give them some thought, although I can't guarantee we'll take her up on any of them.

Let's not all pile on to people who are willing to give the site as much consideration as her, even if you disagree with her suggestions.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-08-21 23:41:04  
Leviathan.Narshe said: »
Kalilla should be a mod >_>

No... Modship kills friendships
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-08-22 18:01:37  
Fenrir.Leoheart said: »
Why not just have Screenshot categories instead?
I think there should be screenshot categories as well, but not as a replacement for my request as it is something completely different almost.

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots

At the moment that is all we have, which isn't bad. You have the recent, the highest rated, and the most rated. But, imagine categories:

• Fan art (Lots of these)

• MS Paint Challenge Submissions

• every week, and would be fun to browse all the submissions, users would have to upload these manually though, and maybe they shouldn't be displayed on the front page? I don't think many users upload theirs though so it shouldn't increase that much (i think...)

• Comics (Also a lot of these)

• Damage Numbers (sadly a huge majority of screenshots~)

• Funny / Humor (Also a lot of these)

• Weird (Also some I guess)

• Glitches (could also include those other screenshots that arn't glitches that have been appearing lately~)

• Items (would be the most recent item page submissions)

• In game Screenshots

• Photos

• Other

And also, probably should include a section like Default or w/e to include the past screenshots already submitted, and future screenshots where users don't select a category.

There are possibly more categories, but I can't think of anything atm really. It isn't hard to browse recent submissions, but if you want to go back and find something it is almost impossible unless you know the time it was submitted then you can narrow it down.

Anyways, if there were categories like this then there would be a way to browse even older public screenshots. The front page would still display the most recent though of course.
[+]