users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » PDT- and fell cleve
PDT- and fell cleve
 Fenrir.Kelyn
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Yummee
By Fenrir.Kelyn 2011-08-24 18:53:42  
I'm getting ready to start cleaving Throngi to build an empy weapon for a MNK. Does anybody else agree that its faster to kill all of those NM, than to cleave KI's? I'm really curious about what kind of experience people have had re: Chloris pops.
 Asura.Kese
サーバ: Asura
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2011-08-24 19:09:37  
Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
Asura.Kese said: »
why not a war eva set?
I think, so correct me if i'm wrong someone, that evasion checks before retaliation does. AKA, you'd need to get hit for it to activate. And imo, retaliation is just too sexy to pass up, nothing like insta-100TP.
ur thinking bout it too much
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-08-24 19:11:02  
Unless you have a full alliance or very close to it, you'll find that it's faster to kill the NMs. Getting friends and LSmates exp is a nice side benefit to cleaving, but if you're focused on getting the Emp done as fast as possible I'd stick with the NMs.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-08-24 19:17:26  
why not a war eva set?
I think, so correct me if i'm wrong someone, that evasion checks before retaliation does. AKA, you'd need to get hit for it to activate. And imo, retaliation is just too sexy to pass up, nothing like insta-100TP.
If survival is upmost importance, I guess you could try an eva set, but WAR has a C in evasion. You could probably get by in Tahrongi but on T-IT in Heroes I'd go for -pdt bc you will get hit regardless
 Fenrir.Curty
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2011-08-24 19:34:36  
My question is why not try war/rdm cataing with the right atmas on mandies.. even gimp phal will reduce your damage taken extensively. I would shoot for -50% pdt if you are soloing (which is easy with earth staff), but if you are comfortable or have outside help can switch to plutos. Plus, amber kills for gold chests hurray :)
 Asura.Kese
サーバ: Asura
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2011-08-24 19:41:05  
why not a war eva set?
If survival is upmost importance, I guess you could try an eva set, but WAR has a C in evasion. You could probably get by in Tahrongi but on T-IT in Heroes I'd go for -pdt bc you will get hit regardless
your stilllllllllllllllllllll thinkin bout it too much
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-08-25 01:39:51  
lol, yeah its tahrongi canyon, you don't need to put much thought into it. Just make sure to track down Bhumi for his enhanced amber light, FC generates a lot of ruby obviously. Hardest part about cleaving in tahrongi is getting the lights capped.
By floydtrey1 2011-09-19 22:42:33  
I want to build my war up for FC'ing, not for selling xp, but for farming, many of those items that drop are worth 100-200k each already and they drop pretty quick. I'm thinking take 2/3 friends out, and just let them afk while doing house work or whatever and just wack the mobs, let them come back, go sell and do it again.

I want to be able to make some gil, while helping my ls make gil so it is a win win situation for my ls mates.

Some merrit points on the side never hurts either ^^...

But none of us have much gil. We've played for years but we normally stick to the old fashion XP'ing.

My war is only lvl 58 atm so what would I need to have to do a "Mini" FC for Cruor/Item farming?

EDIT: ( I do plan to work my 58 war to 90-95 the old fashioned way before I try this )
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [31 days between previous and next post]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-10-20 15:39:21  
Bumping this,

Versa Head(2% PDT) or Adaman Barbuta with 2 tick Regen/Twilight Helm

I honestly can't decide. id like Valhalla/the new haste/PDT helm. But until then which is best?
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-20 15:54:41  
You could also add an augmented Genbu's Kabuto to your list (up to 4 Haste, 3Pdt and other less relevant augs).

Given the fact your need for Pdt will vary depending on whether you have a supporting mage or not, I wouldn't necessarily consider a 2Pdt head a substantial/necessary improvement (if even an improvement at all).

Iirc, the bonus provided by a 2pdt increase was even lower at higher pdt values (something from a discussion I had with Nightfyre on another similar topic. Can't quite point out which atm and it could be the other way around) Here's the quote I'm referring to:

Either way, I tend to prefer Twilight Helm's 2 tic Regen and higher Base Def / Stat Bonuses.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-10-20 16:06:07  
Odin.Sheelay said: »
You could also add an augmented Genbu's Kabuto to your list (up to 4 Haste, 3Pdt and other less relevant augs).

Given the fact your need for Pdt will vary depending on whether you have a supporting mage or not, I wouldn't necessarily consider a 2Pdt head a substantial/necessary improvement (if even an improvement at all).

Iirc, the bonus provided by a 2pdt increase was even lower at higher pdt values (something from a discussion I had with Nightfyre on another similar topic. Can't quite point out which atm and it could be the other way around) Here's the quote I'm referring to:

Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Nothing should be one-shotting you in PDT gear, so consistency is preferable if it reduces more damage on average. We begin with the following:

This set has 30% PDT (assuming two 5% Dark Rings in place of the Jelly Rings) and doesn't even sacrifice your weapon.

PDT has increasing returns, and the -evasion on Metallon Mantle is negligible. 4% PDT with this set is a 6.06% reduction in average damage taken. I've heard Shadow Mantle's proc rate to be ~7%, which would be better in this case.

If we upgrade to Valhalla Helm/Breastplate, add a repelling collar, and add an augmented Darkness Earring with 2% PDT (from Scattered Shells, Scattered Mind), that brings the total to 36/40%. 4% PDT here is a 6.66~% reduction in damage, still favoring Shadow Mantle.

Basically, you need a Dring or PDT augmented axe to bring your PDT high enough to favor Metallon Mantle over Shadow Mantle, and even then it probably wins on Darksday.

Either way, I tend to prefer Twilight Helm's 2 tic Regen and higher Base Def / Stat Bonuses.

Well thank you, Going to stick with my Adaman Barbuta for now(2 tick regen and shinryu wont put out wtf :/ )
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-20 16:12:59  
Wow, old post. Dark ages where DDs couldn't cap PDT etc.

It's honestly not going to make a lot of difference either way for cleaving. PDT head would be better than a barbuta but any defensive gear beyond what is sufficient to keep you alive til the mobs die is a luxury in the specific case of cleaving.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-20 16:14:15  
Np :)

I'm sure you'll get better suggestions if you post your Pdt build though. Nonetheless, GL with Shin.

Edit @ Night: I know I know, but the math in it is still good!
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-10-20 16:16:30  
Basically this

Need Magma Gauntlets/Jingang Greaves. PDT-3/MDT-3 Ring and the other is PDT-6/MDT-5. I need to farm another good ring though.

Augged Dark Earring(s) as well. The new ammo would also be nice.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-20 16:23:59  
Aim for the top! Aim for -40/Cap DT build !!!

I hate the fact Mollusca mantle price has gone up by Millions :(
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-10-20 16:27:59  
Get a -6% pdt dark ring and 2 -2% pdt dark earrings and ditch that bravura :<
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-20 16:29:35  
Carbuncle.Wulfshadow said: »
Get a -6% pdt dark ring and 2 -2% pdt dark earrings and ditch that bravura :<

NEVAR!!!

Not until I get it at least!!!
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-10-20 16:31:45  
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Basically this

Need Magma Gauntlets/Jingang Greaves. PDT-3/MDT-3 Ring and the other is PDT-6/MDT-5. I need to farm another good ring though.

Here's another good option
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-10-20 16:33:13  
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Basically this

Here's another good option

Hasn't been any on the AH in awhile.
0 Last Seen 2 weeks 3 days Ago
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2011-10-20 16:41:07  
they drop pretty frequently when people actually do the conflux if you wanted to try doing walk of echoes, assuming others are willing to do the conflux as well

but still, it's an option to consider
 Fenrir.Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-10-20 16:42:24  
they drop pretty frequently when people actually do the conflux if you wanted to try doing walk of echoes, assuming others are willing to do the conflux as well

but still, it's an option to consider

Honestly it looks really good, I haven't touched WoE in awhile but I'll give it a shot later this week.
 Carbuncle.Joeywheeler
user: Novax
By Carbuncle.Joeywheeler 2011-10-20 16:44:52  
Sucks here, doing Chloris atm. Jp all over my Chukwas, like dying and ***idk.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-20 16:59:27  
Odin.Sheelay said: »
Aim for the top! Aim for -40/Cap DT build !!!

I hate the fact Mollusca mantle price has gone up by Millions :(

Enjoy your capped haste/PDT/MDT build. Granted you don't really need the STP if you're getting beat on...
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-10-20 17:02:40  
War can't use ace's gear.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-10-20 17:02:53  
One day...
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-20 17:05:01  
Ramuh.Austar said: »
War can't use ace's gear.
You'd think I'd remember this by now. Like I said though, the STP doesn't really matter if you get hit at least once (which I'd assume you would).
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-10-20 17:05:30  
yeah just bugged the crap out of me :(
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-10-20 17:07:02  
FIXED NOW HAPPY

ENJOY TAKING HALF DAMAGE FROM EVERYTHING

I may or may not be slightly jelly that Bravura takes less damage than Apoc in a defensive TP set. Still have Cata though!
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-10-20 17:08:16  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
FIXED NOW HAPPY
yes
[+]