サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-10-28 19:05:14  
Fenrir.Curty said: »
Odin.Upbeat said: »
I would love to join... too bad about the whole different server thing =/

Fenrir.Curty said: »
My money's on the pld who has aegis (for nukers), o chain (for melee), almace(for phalanxers) kraken (for non-mnks), and burtgang (for mnks). Just saying.

If this said pld does not join, then some blm or cor will just come and blow everyone up (why I stopped enjoying uncapped ballista)
NIN/SCH can beat any of the PLDs you just said. Now if the PLD was using KC/Aegis, and /SCH for Sublimation it might be a different story.

vs Ochain: Just spam nukes with nuke set, It's beyond easy.
vs Aegis: Stay in Dark Arts spam Aspir, Dispel, and try to sleep. Once they run out of MP spam nukes, It'll take a lot longer to win and need luck, but it's very possible.
Vs Almace/Burt: They won't really help much in this situation.
Vs Kraken: They would probably have the best chance at winning with this just because of PLD's high club skill. It's possible to win using the same Aegis strat, but it wouldn't really be easy.

There is very little chance a nin could kill a kraken pld, it would take a TON of kiting. You're underestimating how quickly it takes down a nin. Enlight is supremely broken when paired with kraken. Pld with no mp vs a nin spamming nukes, pld would still win easily. Sleep would be your only possible defense, but pld easily combats that with /sch. Although I'd probably just stick to /rdm and fealty > gravity = Good bye ninjar.

The problem with the endark/enlight spells is MDT/MDB gear.

MDT will make the damage managable as most jobs with moderate dark rings/twilight torque can hit 5/5/5/15~ right there.

If the PLD is really pushing the Kclub then just use minveras ring and slot even more, even go as far as to wield two mdb katanas and the enlight will start hitting for low tier double digits quickly.

DRK.

Enlight isn't bad because you can absorb-attri/dispel it and PLD doesn't have composure to persist buffs and not a lot of natural ones.

Can be broken/bound then subjected to dispel-time.

Absorb-INT also greatly helps in landing sleep, unless the PLD (is smart) and wearing a ribbon/koenighands/insomnia earring, then we just start MP KO'ing and DoT him with a 19/tic at the start.

NIN.

Easily kited during fealty by a Ninja especially.

I'm not really sure about Paladin having capped accuracy vs a smart ninja even with enlight, while blinded. Especially while blinded, and all the while the ninja would be dispelling everything in the Paladin's world.

And once/if the enlight goes the club is easily 0'd out / worthless.
 Odin.Upbeat
サーバ: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-10-28 19:13:36  
Have you seen a NIN using nuke gear? I really think you're underestimating how well that works out. I've beaten many PLDs on NIN without any trouble. However like I said if the PLD is KC/Aegis, and using /SCH them the NIN doesn't have a chance, unless and only unless that PLD is total garbage.

KC would be the only thing that makes the fight really tough, and that's only if you stay close. You can always just kite around and spam Ni nukes; It's cheap, but it'll get the job done.

NIN nukes can easily hit over 300 damage, with Futae + San over 600.

About gravity, switch to Light Arts and use Erase if they get it off.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-10-28 22:12:04  
Have you seen a NIN using nuke gear? I really think you're underestimating how well that works out. I've beaten many PLDs on NIN without any trouble. However like I said if the PLD is KC/Aegis, and using /SCH them the NIN doesn't have a chance, unless and only unless that PLD is total garbage.

KC would be the only thing that makes the fight really tough, and that's only if you stay close. You can always just kite around and spam Ni nukes; It's cheap, but it'll get the job done.

NIN nukes can easily hit over 300 damage, with Futae + San over 600.

About gravity, switch to Light Arts and use Erase if they get it off.

As if Aegis and KC aren't "cheap."

What an antiquated term.
[+]
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2011-10-28 22:17:45  
Good luck with your tourney!

I would enter but it turns out I totally suck at pvp. I can't keep focused while moving around to chase people down who are moving about and to try an avoid attacks myself, it hurts my brain.

Hope you have fun though and get a good showing!
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-10-28 22:38:15  
Phoenix.Lillicarnage said: »
Good luck with your tourney!

I would enter but it turns out I totally suck at pvp. I can't keep focused while moving around to chase people down who are moving about and to try an avoid attacks myself, it hurts my brain.

Hope you have fun though and get a good showing!

Practice makes perfect. You have potential.
[+]
By ninjie 2011-10-29 07:16:49  
Assuming I dont work, I will be having some fun.
By Cliamain 2011-10-29 19:32:11  
:X
 Bismarck.Minibuddha
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Minibuddha 2011-10-30 10:54:44  
I have to say I am sorry I could not take up your challenge Urteil. I love Ballista and have been PvPing since it first began. I even took part in the Ballista Royle, which I wish SE would do again because that was truly fun seeing how people worked together and how they made each kill unique.

Funny part was most of us were expecting 1 RDM 5 RNG type of deal. You know the usual Bind and 5 sidewinder ordeal. However once we saw SAMs, WARs and BLMs we were like uh oh!

I do like your Idea Urteil and I might sound funny but it would be awesome to see you record these matches and put them on youtube. That would be quite fun! Perhaps I too will issue a ballista challenge out there and someone will see it and spread it along! That would be fun!

Anyways im babbling on! Have fun out there!
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-03 07:31:32  
Bumping to encourage new participants, hoping to give the prize of 2.0m+ to a worthy challenger!

(And a chance at the bonus prize).

Also, if you're the guy commenting in these videos:

(Seriously watch those, they are fantastic, examples of what NOT to do.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seRGl2Naow&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAyFCgm4qAE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkdYZerp28&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8skCeu85bV0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyal-oFeXwo&feature=related

Could you reply here or send me a PM I'd gladly pay for you to come be the commentator at my tournament.

Zirk? Acorn? Contact me I'll love you long time.
[+]
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2011-11-03 08:12:16  
Fenrir.Skadoosh said: »
what do CORs do in PVP? in a 1v1 situation could you just fire shot > light shot indefinitely?
I beated a rdm in pvp! He was quite shocked at my damage output the first round. Second round he won but he was left with 50ish~ hp and no mp...I dare to say he got lucky! If only I could use QD one more time...!
 Fenrir.Didgist
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-11-03 08:14:01  
Pick a server and have everyone reroll a job to 60 and stage a tournament. We'll all look badass 55 capping LB2 mobs. You could set the deadline at a month or so. It's far fetched (for some), but it's as close to a server wide ballista tourney as we can get.

Would be good to get players to show this sort of support, could definitely take this over to the official forums if there were enough people interested enough to do it. They've already copied peoples characters over to the test server solely for the purpose of testing, something similar for a tournament wouldn't be too different. I'll ask my friend when he wakes up what they did for the original tournament.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-11-03 08:16:36  
Phoenix.Urteil said: »
Bumping to encourage new participants, hoping to give the prize of 2.0m+ to a worthy challenger!

(And a chance at the bonus prize).

Also, if you're the guy commenting in these videos:

(Seriously watch those, they are fantastic, examples of what NOT to do.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seRGl2Naow&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAyFCgm4qAE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkdYZerp28&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8skCeu85bV0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyal-oFeXwo&feature=related

Could you reply here or send me a PM I'd gladly pay for you to come be the commentator at my tournament.

Zirk? Acorn? Contact me I'll love you long time.
First fight is on Bismark. So I'm gonna guess the commentator is too. I can do /sea all for you. In the fifth video: "Is this dancer *** HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE?" The answer is yes.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-03 14:44:45  
Fenrir.Didgist said: »
Pick a server and have everyone reroll a job to 60 and stage a tournament. We'll all look badass 55 capping LB2 mobs. You could set the deadline at a month or so. It's far fetched (for some), but it's as close to a server wide ballista tourney as we can get.

Would be good to get players to show this sort of support, could definitely take this over to the official forums if there were enough people interested enough to do it. They've already copied peoples characters over to the test server solely for the purpose of testing, something similar for a tournament wouldn't be too different. I'll ask my friend when he wakes up what they did for the original tournament.

I'd have everyone get a job to 95, abyssea makes this easy.

It would be pretty neat, but having our characters copied is a good idea too.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-03 14:50:00  

Official forums post I made a while ago:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/16491-BALLISTA-TOURNAMENT

Show your support?!

I mean not about /my/ server specifically, but go scream about ballista and dueling and team battling in general.
By slipispsycho 2011-11-03 15:10:03  
Why would you sub anything but NIN on DNC when you're just doing a 1v1 Ballista? And why wouldn't you use shadows?
 Fenrir.Didgist
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Didgist
By Fenrir.Didgist 2011-11-03 15:36:52  

Official forums post I made a while ago:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/16491-BALLISTA-TOURNAMENT

Show your support?!

I mean not about /my/ server specifically, but go scream about ballista and dueling and team battling in general.

I had considered 60 solely based on gear options. Which, yes, Abyssea makes this easy too. Also the amount of jackass in that thread already is amazing. I have a friend who was in the original tournament and this game is all about ballista for him.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-03 17:53:11  
I agree.

If one wants to win, then they will need better gear, and the game facilitates this better now. But as with the nature of RPG's and a persistant world, gear is a factor and it is obtainable, there is no excuse.

I have no problems and have never had problems fighting Aegis, Burtgang,Excalibur, Amanokuramano, or any relic options. I never refused them even before I had my relic, I simply wanted to overcome them.

On Dark Knight I would beat relic holders on a regular basis, I did not become 'good' once I got my gold baseball bat, in fact it is not my weapon of choice in many match ups.

There is very little gear that has impact that is comparable to just showing up on RDM, the game gets more dynamic, interesting and gives jobs many resistance gear, traits, magical sub job options and magian weapon combinations.

The higher we get the more options that open up to many strictly martial jobs, and we get less and less snuff matchups.

The release of abyssea has created many pieces of gear with up to +3 resist silence/petrify/bind/stun etc. on a SINGLE piece of gear, this +3 is a HUGE value. This alone shakes many things up for jobs that primarily rely on enfeebling and can give other jobs a chance against then when stacking gear and choosing your equipment wisley.

===============
The + does not correlate to 3% for example:
This is my theory supported by my eyeballing and years of fighting powerful enfeebling jobs, killing them, and mixing up gear sets for maximum efficiency.

IN PVP
Scenario - Silence is cast on you.

One trait of "Resist" roughly comes out to a 10% chance of a flat resist per natural trait, and somehow it factors into a chance at reducing duration (I haven't figured this out yet.) However that aside the message is: RESISTANCE IS GOOD/GOD.

You have the natural trait of resist Silence V.
You get one saving throw against silence, using your trait of V

You have natural trait of resist silence V and a +3 ring.
You get one saving throw against silence, using your trait of V.
A separate roll using a trait of ~VIII.

You have a natural trait of resist silence V and two +3 rings.
You get one saving throw against silence, using your trait of V.
A separate rolle using a trait of ~VIII.
Another roll using a trait of ~VIII.

Every piece of gear that says "Enhance" adds to your native trait, and your single 'natural' saving throw. With + gear not stacking cumuativley but giving you that # of traits another saving roll + your natural roll which is a combination of your natural traits and enhancements.

There is some evidence to suggest that different gear has different effects on 'enhancing', different flat %'s added to your initial natural saving throw.

And as always, Flawless Ribbon or get the *** out.

Resist Silence Diamond Rings: Vunkerl In. [A]
Light Earrings of Awesome: Mis. Coast [A]
Resist Petrify Earrings: Vunkerl In. [A] Questline.

With items such as the Jurfu's cloak, Apathy Gorget, Killer Shortbow, when used in tandem with augmented equipment, many jobs that are out-of-the-box powerhouses: RDM, BLU, BLM (sch sub vs them makes world of difference), lose much of their beginner's luck luster.

TLDR;
I wanted to be the best at 1v1 PvP so I went out and did my best to get the best gear, if you don't do this, then you simply don't want victory as bad as me, enjoy losing.

The general idea is that "idiots" always have good gear and that somehow makes it "unfair."

Then I propose that all the smart people with "bad" gear stop getting outsmarted by "idiots." and simply procure good gear for ourselves, if an "idiot" can do it why can't we.

Its just an excuse for lazy people, the game is about level 95 and soon 99.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-04 22:01:51  
BUMP!
====TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY==
I am not participating so the 2m (low end) prize is up in the air! Anyone could go home with it, please show up at the start time in the OP and be ready to go in Upper Jeuno.

Thank you for everyone who has expressed large degrees of interest in /tells in game, and bugging me at my various methods of social contact.

See you there!
[+]
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-11-04 22:44:08  
BUMP!
I am not participating so the 2m (low end) prize is up in the air! Anyone could go home with it, please show up at the start time in the OP and be ready to go in Upper Jeuno.

Thank you for everyone who has expressed large degrees of interest in /tells in game, and bugging me at my various methods of social contact.

See you there!
/jelly... better get someone to fraps it! or even better stream it!
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-11-04 23:05:07  
I'd be interested in watching this over stream. Could anyone provide?
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2011-11-04 23:34:01  
BUMP!

See you there!
/jelly... better get someone to fraps it! or even better stream it!

Or you could transfer. :D
 Shiva.Haptic
サーバ: Shiva
user: Haptic
By Shiva.Haptic 2011-11-05 00:02:04  
I wanna transfer, but I don't want to pay for it. >.> lol.
Stream would be kinda sick I'd watch...
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-05 00:02:15  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
I'd be interested in watching this over stream. Could anyone provide?

Supposedly the guy from those videos I posted earlier is coming to record.

**update

The guy that recorded those earlier videos AND the amazing announcer are going to record and comment on the matches.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-05 00:03:57  
Shiva.Haptic said: »
I wanna transfer, but I don't want to pay for it. >.> lol.
Stream would be kinda sick I'd watch...

BUT 3M GIL.

In all reality I actually spoke to a GM the other night that said that if I tried to do something through the official event service it would be highly encouraged and sounded like a good idea to everyone at the office.

He was sincerley upset that GM's are no longer allowed to make actual appearances, or he would mediate it himself.

I have no problem holding an event like this monthly, or bi-monthly.I might have higher buy ins with higher prizes, if this is successful I can see a final prize reaching 5m easily based on total buy ins.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2011-11-05 00:15:46  
I might be on at this time tomorrow, I've piss-poor gear/skill for PvP (from what I've read, never done it before), but I think it will be at least fun. And 25k isn't bad at all.

I'm excited to start though, if it's not too late to say I'm coming?
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-11-05 00:33:10  
If Odin got full again, and we had a free server transfer I would move. I just don't want to pay to have both my accounts moved over.
 Ifrit.Happysonic
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Happysonic 2011-11-05 01:11:06  
Bring it
By Kryztal 2011-11-05 01:11:37  
Be pretty cool if someone was sleeping for tp then
a summoner used diabolos nightmare on them....
Is there a bigger pot of people betting behind the scenes gambling
for who makes it 1st place?
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-05 01:32:10  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
I might be on at this time tomorrow, I've piss-poor gear/skill for PvP (from what I've read, never done it before), but I think it will be at least fun. And 25k isn't bad at all.

I'm excited to start though, if it's not too late to say I'm coming?

There is no RSVP just show up on game day and we'll get started.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2011-11-05 06:21:00  
Ifrit.Happysonic said: »
Bring it

[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 19 20 21