users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Group 1/2 Merits @ 99
Group 1/2 Merits @ 99
 Cerberus.Aydogan
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Aydogan
By Cerberus.Aydogan 2011-12-28 09:48:16  
Hey folks, I am in the process of getting my DRK to 99 and am wondering what I should merit for Groups 1 and 2. I know there are already a couple of threads regarding DRK merits, but from what I found they seemed a bit old and am not sure if people have different mindsets with the new 99 level cap. Any help is appreciated - thanks!
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-12-28 10:17:03  
Last Resort Recast
Last Resort Effect
---
Desperate Blows
Diabolic Eye

iirc they increased the LR duration to 3mins making meriting it vastly more lucrative. It does however require you to make a good HP/Haste setup for Dread Spikes.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-28 10:22:39  
Lakshmi.Galith said: »
Last Resort Recast Last Resort Effect --- Desperate Blows Diabolic Eye iirc they increased the LR duration to 3mins making meriting it vastly more lucrative. It does however require you to make a good HP/Haste setup for Dread Spikes.

Pretty much this. I currently have 5/5 into dark seal but I recognize that is not the norm (nor would I recommend people go that way). Muted soul is about as useful as meriting aggressive aim.....
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-12-28 10:26:26  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Last Resort Recast Last Resort Effect --- Desperate Blows Diabolic Eye iirc they increased the LR duration to 3mins making meriting it vastly more lucrative. It does however require you to make a good HP/Haste setup for Dread Spikes.

Pretty much this. I currently have 5/5 into dark seal but I recognize that is not the norm (nor would I recommend people go that way). Muted soul is about as useful as meriting aggressive aim.....[/qu[quote='Ragnarok.Ashman' pid=1685000]

Pretty much this. I currently have 5/5 into dark seal but I recognize that is not the norm (nor would I recommend people go that way). Muted soul is about as useful as meriting aggressive aim.....

With VWNMs resisting so many absorb spells I couldn't fault anyone for wanting Dark Seal. Sadly there are just so many absorb spells.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-28 10:28:32  
I use dark seal for tough to stick stuff on pil, mostly. That or the super magic bursted Drain II but the Last Resort group 1 and Desperate Blows group II should be a lock. You can get away with 3/5 desperate if you are going to have hasso or haste samba up full time. I still went 5/5 desp blows for the times it's prudent to seigan/third eye (then I can keep the 25% JA haste with shadows up, and only lose the str/acc from hasso). I recommend 5/5 DB but SOME others will tell you otherwise.
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2011-12-28 12:20:47  
I use dark seal for tough to stick stuff on pil, mostly. That or the super magic bursted Drain II but the Last Resort group 1 and Desperate Blows group II should be a lock. You can get away with 3/5 desperate if you are going to have hasso or haste samba up full time. I still went 5/5 desp blows for the times it's prudent to seigan/third eye (then I can keep the 25% JA haste with shadows up, and only lose the str/acc from hasso). I recommend 5/5 DB but SOME others will tell you otherwise.

5/5 LR effect and timer.

5/5 DB for sure. 5/5 lets you cap JA haste and ride Seigan or use other subs and still cap.

AF2+2a Feet might alter that to 4/5 if it indeed is a delay enhancement. (6.25% per merit or something along those lines) But that would be for Apoc users only since other DRKs will want haste on their feet.

5/5 DE would be my recommendation for the 2nd set, even with excellent gear and Apoc I've parsed in the mid 80s for ACC on some harder VW mobs. The HP loss shouldn't be a problem with proper sets and temps. Muted Soul and Dark Seal have extremely limited use.

After I finish AF2+2a feet I'll work on hands to test what Augments DE actually does.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-12-28 12:26:32  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
5/5 DB for sure.

I appreciate you agreeing. There are still some people who hold on to the 3/5 that was more common at 75. It drives me nuts but there are many still roaming about that like to argue.