日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
Webcomic?
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-01-18 22:53:10  
Hello all, I've been pretty stressed out lately and I think I might take up drawing more regularly.

I was thinking of doing a casual, irregular FFXI webcomic. I have a lot of funny/nice memories after all these years so I don't think lack of content would be an issue. It's just the 'structure' stuff I suppose.

I was thinking of doing it Allan-style, in other words, as sort of like an autobiographical doodad (though probably not day-to-day).

But I don't know anything about making websites or whatever, and I'm not sure having a blog for this would be the most efficient way. How would I host these pictures? How do other comics do it?

Furthermore, drawing on a tablet is pretty cumbersome. I'd actually almost rather do it pencil and paper, but that requires scanning and stuff. I'm not quite sure what would be easier, but I also want to make it -good-.

It's just that it's hard to get a point across with a single panel, like I've been doing. Some potential is lost I guess. Also, I spend quite a bit of time polishing single frame pictures since it's the entirety of the work. With a comic style gig, I might not worry quite as much about details because they won't be nearly as glaring.

I suppose I'm looking for general advice: should I avoid the idea altogether? Is a blog suitable, or do I need to learn programming? Maybe there's a visual web design thing I can use?
Any advice is welcome :) Thank you

Edit: I should probably add that I'm not doing this for fame or anything, if that's an issue. I just like reading FFXI comics, and thought it might be fun to do some myself.
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2012-01-19 01:30:51  
I used to do a web comic many moons ago back in university, which I don't think is hosted anywhere anymore (and I had a falling out with the writer.)

But it was originally hosted on this place called Keenspace, which changed names I think...

http://www.comicgenesis.com/

...basically it's a Deviant-art type thing but for comics (of any genre, slice-of-life/adventure/sci-fi/bizzaro/whatever.) You can check there for inspiration on how to go about setting it up. I think they offer free tools for laying out your images into URL-friendly pages.

As our comic took off, we hosted it ourselves with our own domain and FTP site to accommodate the uploads and place them on the HTML comic-frame. Essentially it had to have an archive, a default 'current page', and navigation tools to view previous entries. More advanced tools involve links to story-arcs or weekly-runs of sequential plot. Obviously a slice-of-life type comic wouldn't need such things though, but again you can examine other creators to see what site style suits your work.

In terms of presentation, just do what is best for you. I was the artist and I drew everything on paper and scanned it into Photoshop where I then did the lettering with Blambot font LOL.

http://www.blambot.com/

Obviously use whatever fonts or production application (Pshop/Canvas/Sketchbook Pro/whatever you like) to put your stuff together.

My suggestion about methodology is to work out a LARGE amount of comic before even worrying about the website. Given this isn't your livelihood you will be devoting free time to it...as such, it will always take a backseat to more pressing life matters. The problem with that is that your readership will notice when the comic isn't updated for weeks on end due to RL, so it is a very good idea (from a professionalism standpoint) to have a body of work built up before you go live with it.

In terms of style and expression...you will develop that as you go. I noticed the way I drew all the characters, and even how I framed the shots sequentially changed over time and I developed a better eye for storytelling (and delivery of gags/visual timing.) Just remember the Scott McCloud philosophy that words and art must always interplay...so frames that are heavy in artwork or visual storytelling shouldn't be crowded with a lot of text, or frames that require a lot of exposition shouldn't have complex artwork competing for reader attention.

You seem to have an idea already...so I'd say the hardest part is already done (you figuring out what you want to say.) The relatively easy part is the web set up and ensuring you do a good job (to your own standards of quality) of presenting your work in an easy-to-use web interface, a solid readable font, and some good advertising once you are comfortable with your site.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-01-19 14:00:08  
I see, thank you very much! :D

I will check that out.