サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2012-01-29 10:43:05  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Lakshmi.Galith said: »
Cerberus.Punky said: »
Well the original question is /war or /sam in VW

for me /sam wins every time - a quick macro of seigan > third eye > fanatics drink can save your life. Bezerk can kill you. Meditate can be used to proc faster and more procs = 6+ dd getting dusty wings so more damage. This macro also allows u to use fanatics at the last moment in some situations thus increasing its life.

If you just look at the individual /war may do 5-10% more damage. Even if it was 20% more it has alot less survivability. If u survive u do more damage and always in these comparisons is the assimption you live. In VW damage can fly around the dd. You need to live to do damage. Keep some survivability.

I see your /sam and seigan macro and raise you a /war with a -DT set.

With this we move from a situation of "OMG Third Eye just wore off" to a situation of "I'm going to berserk, souleater, last resort, warcry, and aggressor at the start and I don't care if I pull hate"

So, whenever you use all these sexy JAs, you always gimp your dmg by wearing DT gear to kinda negate all the JAs? :P
Not like Either of them would be an issue in most VW fights anyways, as you start with a fanatics, and you can usually overwrite it fulltime the whole fight.

I hope you're kidding, but I'll elaborate. I blow all the JAs at the start of the fight because that is when you will have access to the most fanatics drinks you should be able to cover the duration of the JAs with your physical shield and turn the first 2-3 mins into a zerg. Now that's all good on paper but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way and the -DT set lets you take the AoEs that would normally 1 shot you without a Fanatics. Halfway through the fight usually some other DDs are capped on hate and this set again lets you take a few hits resulting in hate loss and the ability to safely pull back.

You don't normally even need to click the -DT macro until half if not all the buffs wear off. However, when your fanatics does wear off it makes all the devastating attacks in VW rather manageable. This makes it a bit easier for you to get healed which means maybe you won't have to spam a bunch of potions. If you can do that then you can try to limit the temp usage to mainly just fanatics ensuring it has the highest chance to be recharged on grellow procs. I usually keep an eye out for EV or HV procs I know our party can get in order to reapply the temp buffs.

Further utility is the ability to activate Scarlet Delirium at the start of the fight.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-01-29 11:39:06  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Cerberus.Punky said: »
Well the original question is /war or /sam in VW

for me /sam wins every time - a quick macro of seigan > third eye > fanatics drink can save your life. Bezerk can kill you. Meditate can be used to proc faster and more procs = 6+ dd getting dusty wings so more damage. This macro also allows u to use fanatics at the last moment in some situations thus increasing its life.

If you just look at the individual /war may do 5-10% more damage. Even if it was 20% more it has alot less survivability. If u survive u do more damage and always in these comparisons is the assimption you live. In VW damage can fly around the dd. You need to live to do damage. Keep some survivability.

I see your /sam and seigan macro and raise you a /war with a -DT set.

With this we move from a situation of "OMG Third Eye just wore off" to a situation of "I'm going to berserk, souleater, last resort, warcry, and aggressor at the start and I don't care if I pull hate"

So, whenever you use all these sexy JAs, you always gimp your dmg by wearing DT gear to kinda negate all the JAs? :P
Not like Either of them would be an issue in most VW fights anyways, as you start with a fanatics, and you can usually overwrite it fulltime the whole fight.

I hope you're kidding, but I'll elaborate. I blow all the JAs at the start of the fight because that is when you will have access to the most fanatics drinks you should be able to cover the duration of the JAs with your physical shield and turn the first 2-3 mins into a zerg. Now that's all good on paper but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way and the -DT set lets you take the AoEs that would normally 1 shot you without a Fanatics. Halfway through the fight usually some other DDs are capped on hate and this set again lets you take a few hits resulting in hate loss and the ability to safely pull back.

You don't normally even need to click the -DT macro until half if not all the buffs wear off. However, when your fanatics does wear off it makes all the devastating attacks in VW rather manageable. This makes it a bit easier for you to get healed which means maybe you won't have to spam a bunch of potions. If you can do that then you can try to limit the temp usage to mainly just fanatics ensuring it has the highest chance to be recharged on grellow procs. I usually keep an eye out for EV or HV procs I know our party can get in order to reapply the temp buffs.

Further utility is the ability to activate Scarlet Delirium at the start of the fight.

I were half way kidding, ofc, but not like \sam can't use a DT set aswell >_>
 Cerberus.Punky
user: Cerbpunky
By Cerberus.Punky 2012-01-29 11:41:19  
The fundamental problem behind your argument /war can wear this DT set is so can /sam. /sam has got an extra tool for survival (seigan third eye), sekkonaki for an extra weapon skill, meditate for faster tp gain. You will therefore get procs faster as /sam and live longer. Also blowing all abilities at the beginning of the fight may not be best decision with bezerk on you may not need to warcry to cap attack.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2012-01-29 12:01:09  
Drk/whm so I can regen with souleater up duh learn to play dark.
[+]
 Hades.Ferusio
サーバ: Hades
user: Ferusio
By Hades.Ferusio 2012-01-29 12:21:16  
/sam also has hasso for that min where lr is down 10% ja haste is better than 0, pretty sure sombody will have said this already but im eating and cba scrolling back so im just gonna say what i think sorry if sombody else has said, /sam gives beter x hit, hasso, seigan, zanshin, sekka vs war zerk, 10% da, aggressor and warcry. Most of the time i cap attack on most mobs so zerk is useless and i cap accc so aggressor is useless so becomes 10% da versus 10% haste where you would have 0 seigan and third eye and one less hit or so to ws. In sitiuations where you are not capping acc or attack ( T6 VW etc.) /war will help you hit where you may not so i would use it there otherwise /sam or your doing it wrong.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-29 12:55:33  
Why has this degenerated into a discussion that centers around Seigan being the reason to sub SAM? Seigan has nothing to do with why you are subbing SAM.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Returner
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-29 15:08:31  
I really like to drink some of those coolaid that you ppl who think 3rd eye can block AoE are drinking. You might as well pop Dreadspike during the zerg while you are at it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kuryomi
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kuryomi
By Leviathan.Kuryomi 2012-01-30 09:08:40  
ill probably be blasted as a noob for this but... here goes...
i am some what new to being a drk, i found i fully enjoy the job and am doing what i can to research it in depth and gear properly.

i get for zerg war is best sj, i almost always /sam for meriting and w/e im doing. But seen someone posted /mnk is best in aby? Plz explain that to me. Is that count with empy gs too?

Also what is attack cap? My attack shows 999 w/ LR and like 900ish w/o. Got it max merited.

edit - got LR max merited. looks like i ment got attack merited lol
 Bahamut.Atoreis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Atoreis
By Bahamut.Atoreis 2012-01-30 09:22:07  
There is no cap on att.

Menu only shows 999 because its probably some ps2 limitation.
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-30 11:13:56  
/mnk for counterstance in abyssea. Mainly due to the fact that with two additional atma, your counter rate is higher than the 50% without counting accuracy outside of abyssea. So at 70% counterrate, again without counting accuracy, it becomes a very viable option both offensively and defensively. Also, in abyssea, you have higher HP so that prevents the one downside counterstance gives, which is high damaging TP move.

You really need to understand why mnk is so powerful inside abyssea to understand why drk/mnk is. Counter rate caps at 80%, so with two atmas and counterstance, you are pretty much just 10% off from being a mnk. The only difference is really that mnk have the option to /nin to neglect some damage, but you will rarely see mnk/nin over mnk/war.

You should just try it, it really makes a huge difference both offensively and defensively providing that you are tanking.

If you are not going to tank, then sub /sam. This is mainly for Drk + Whm for lowman in abyssea if you don't have mnk lvled. You can pretty much tank everything a Mnk can, and now at lvl 99 it just becomes that much easier. You have slightly better proc options too than Mnk.
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-30 12:08:17  
Nevermind

I hate DRK/MNK in abyssea but probably because I have a decent MNK.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-30 17:50:30  
How do you have "slightly better proc options" than a job that covers all Blue staggers except Hexastrike during blunt window?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Nevill
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2012-01-30 18:04:28  
Josiahkf said: »
the only thing that really beats monk for proc options is a war/nin with 13/13 red procs. so I have no clue what he's talking about either

What Katana am I missing?
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-01-30 18:18:04  
Looked it up out of curriosity. If I'm counting right not counting subs

mnk 3 red, 14 blue

drk 5 red, 12 blue

Granted drks blue procs are spread over all 3 time periods.

I think there is that gold smithing katana, but I dont believe war can get the 200 katana skill to get :ei, or enough GK skill to get the 2nd GK one.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-30 18:24:32  
Getting mobs at the right time is so hard..

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Sonoske
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Sonoske
By Phoenix.Sonoske 2012-01-30 18:30:33  
WAR can reach both Blade: Ei and Koki. Ei requires full merits and 2 pieces of katana skill+ gear. Koki requires full merits and 4/4 pieces of gear, the bushi, justice torque, GK headband, and that dyna ring with skill+5.
 Ragnarok.Returner
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-01-30 18:34:29  
Sorry for my mistatement, but mainly was talking about red proc. I can't honestly remember the last time I tried to proc blue on anything in abyssea.

I kept thinking that now a day ppl are doing abyssea only for empy. I personally haven't gone to Abyssea for more than a few months until I recently decided to lvl bst and wanted some seals.