フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Absorb - XXX
Absorb - XXX
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-03-04 19:16:19  
If we already have helices covered, I sub DRK on BLM when I do Voidwatch because the DRKs never try to proc Dark Black Magic weaknesses.
 Fenrir.Minjo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-04 19:17:23  
That is preferable, yes. BLMs with /DRK available are scarce unfortunately.
By ikariiiii 2012-03-04 19:22:29  
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Keep your argument on track. You seem to be the only person here who's under the impression that I think you should stand around touching yourself when in a position where engaging isn't momentarily practical. It's entirely disingenuous to say things like "everything isn't a colibri party" when, yes, everything is a colibri party, and the kind of specific situation where your spellcasting is counted upon as is in the case of Voidwatch is entirely unprecedented and isolated.

Playing DRK properly is virtually indiscernible from playing SAM, WAR, and every other DD properly, and anyone who tells you otherwise is extraordinarily unfamiliar with game mechanics.

You're even contradicting yourself while trying to prove me wrong. "everything is a colibri party" but then there are times when it isn't? Right. That's my point.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-04 19:30:05  
Occasionally casting a stun does not make you fundamentally different than other DD jobs. Twist my message and interpret all of the contradictions you'd like, but as I said, you're the only person having clarity issues with my posts.
 Shiva.Karmessurma
サーバ: Shiva
user: Decadence
By Shiva.Karmessurma 2012-03-04 19:40:04  
If you're in the mindset that "Casting spells that give my job stat bonus/TP is terrible" Then by all means, go ahead and lower your potential on Dark Knight. While you're at it, lower the bar more, and don't use your job abilities either.

This game isn't called "Parsing Fantasy XI", and in the end, every job has it's own uses and unique abilities/spells to set it apart from every other job. If you feel that you don't like those unique options for that particular job, then maybe not playing it is a better option, since there are 19 other jobs to try.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-03-04 19:42:51  
Just doing stuff because you _CAN_ is kinda silly when it's better not to do it.
DRK have lots of handy spells, they'r just very situational.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-04 19:44:28  
Just because it exists does not mean it's useful in any meaningful way in a given situation. It's not a matter of liking or disliking a particular ability, it's a matter of being practical. How often do you have Footwork up on that Verethragna MNK? When's the last time you sang Scop's Operetta on that BRD?
[+]
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-04 19:44:37  
Dark Seal + Nether Void + Duration+ Gear + Absorb-VIT before you engage!

fSTR for everyone, amirite?

No?

Okay. I'll go sit in a corner.
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-03-04 19:45:57  
Shiva.Karmessurma said: »
If you're in the mindset that "Casting spells that give my job stat bonus/TP is terrible" Then by all means, go ahead and lower your potential on Dark Knight. While you're at it, lower the bar more, and don't use your job abilities either.

This game isn't called "Parsing Fantasy XI", and in the end, every job has it's own uses and unique abilities/spells to set it apart from every other job. If you feel that you don't like those unique options for that particular job, then maybe not playing it is a better option, since there are 19 other jobs to try.

Which, like he said, unique snowflake. How is it benefiting anyone by going around using the excuse 'I'm using Absorb VIT on this thing because my job can use it and yours cannot'

Also, TP? It has been stated a numerous amount of times that you should be swinging fast enough where casting spells is actually going to DECREASE your tp gain. Are you 50 miles away from the mob for whatever reason? Ok, use your dumb spells. The point is, trying to utilize something that in the long run is basically a waste of time has no point
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-04 19:46:07  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
Just because it exists does not mean it's useful in any meaningful way in a given situation. It's not a matter of liking or disliking a particular ability, it's a matter of being practical. How often do you have Footwork up on that Verethragna MNK?
If he says anything besides "I gave up at Apkallu," then he's doing it wrong.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-03-04 19:46:29  
Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Dark Seal + Nether Void + Duration+ Gear + Absorb-VIT before you engage!

fSTR for everyone, amirite?

No?

Okay. I'll go sit in a corner.

If only they increased duration\made it not decay over time, that might've been worth it in stuff you have lots of DDs on :p
 Shiva.Karmessurma
By Shiva.Karmessurma 2012-03-04 19:47:40  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Just doing stuff because you _CAN_ is kinda silly when it's better not to do it tho.

It is always a good idea to be situational. There are plenty of time where spells for the most part will not land on a specific mob at all. But to completely count out spells at your disposal at all times of your gameplay is completely foolish.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-04 19:48:39  
Cerberus.Kvazz said: »
Just doing stuff because you _CAN_ is kinda silly when it's better not to do it tho.

It is always a good idea to be situational. There are plenty of time where spells for the most part will not land on a specific mob at all. But to completely count out spells at your disposal at all times of your gameplay is completely foolish.
Congratulations on being late and not reading then, because nobody has stated that they are *completely* useless.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-04 19:48:47  

Except that they're not bonuses, they're detriments.

And if you're going to irrationally chastise those who don't use all of the terrible unique abilities of the job, I'd love to hear about how RDM and WHM who don't whip out their clubs and swords during VW are equally unprepared for their jobs.
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2012-03-04 19:52:02  
I do DRK to most things if I can help it. When in VW any tier, I'm 99% strictly ws spam / ws proc job. Outside of VW where nobody seems to remember, I use ABS=Attri on mobs a lot. I don't really do it for the buffs themselves but as a way to take off buffs like protect, blaze spikes etc... I also use drain / II, and aspir when doing things outside of VW. Bio is a great spell to use for obvious reasons, but usually takes a back seat to Dia when that's an option. Poisonaga for shadow removal, and break/bind/sleep for adds when applicable. Obviously dread spikes / endark are the most common spells that I cast outside of stun. I do agree with everyone when saying that abs-str/vit/dex/etc... and ele magic are close to useless as spells can get, although abs-acc is pretty decent when you don't want mobs hitting you when you get links.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-03-04 19:54:14  
On that note, apoc blind add effect and absorb acc completely caps your evasion on any EP mob in dynamis, pretty funny on monk mobs :P
By GraddHelian 2012-03-04 19:55:41  
Casting spells to receiving a 'bonus' that degrades over time and kill your overall damage output is not a benefit in the very least.

The time spent casting will always be more beneficial just swinging your weapon for your next Resolution/Cata/Guillotine/WhateverDrkSpamsNow.

This has been known for years, but the fact that there are idiots out there that think casting such spells is beneficial never ceases to amaze me.
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-04 19:56:49  
As odd enough as I'm sure this will sound from me, the "idiots" part may be a bit counterproductive in getting them to listen to your message.
 Shiva.Karmessurma
By Shiva.Karmessurma 2012-03-04 20:01:55  
Fenrir.Minjo said: »

Except that they're not bonuses, they're detriments.

And if you're going to irrationally chastise those who don't use all of the terrible unique abilities of the job, I'd love to hear about how RDM and WHM who don't whip out their clubs and swords during VW are equally unprepared for their jobs.

Since you mention VW, then, as far as clubs go for WHM, they have exclusive access to a club weaponskill that can at times, be an important procs (Although the chances are low that it would happen, always a possibility).

VW is something there odd things can happen at times. Am I endorsing every WHM or other mage jobs go to the front line immediately? No. Because that isn't their primary role. But there are times where my BRD gets dagger procs on occassion, and being prepared will not hurt you, only make you better.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-03-04 20:03:23  
Not their primary role? Kind of like how spellcasting isn't a DRKs primary role? Kind of like.. my point?
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-04 20:04:49  
Wing > Hexa > Backlines.

Not even the same thing as trying to use absorbs on DRK.
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-04 20:05:29  
BRD doesn't really have much better to do than trigger dagger/staff/club anyway, once songs are up.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-04 20:07:46  
Bismarck.Sylow said: »
BRD doesn't really have much better to do than trigger dagger/staff/club anyway, once songs are up.
Except argue. But how knows, maybe if the BRD melee'd they'd actually keep up my marches.
 Carbuncle.Sanders
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sanders
By Carbuncle.Sanders 2012-03-04 20:33:09  
When I have a luxurious amount of time to buff before attempting a WS for solid epeen, I throw out some absorbs (str/vit/acc), do the Souleater/LR and serk/aggressor if /war... then Torcleaver or Resolution for the same average damage. The subsequent, completely unbuffed WS will then simply DA/TA and accomplish my epeen unannounced.

So... let the BRDs/CORs/TempItems do the buffing for you. They're instant, more potent, and they don't waste 20+sec of your time when you could be doing something more productive. I love that DRK can cast, but save spells for staggers.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-04 20:38:47  
The only spell I can say that a DRK should potentially be casting aside from the obvious ones (occasionally) is Absorb-AGI. It's a pretty decent increase to your alliance's critical hit rate assuming it lowers the stat by the same amount that you absorb.
 Leviathan.Duzell
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Duzell 2012-03-04 20:54:01  
I did have fun casting absorb attri on Carrabosse stealing its 10/tic regain. one of the few cases where casting actually improves your WS frequency.
[+]
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2012-03-04 21:36:45  
Leviathan.Duzell said: »
I did have fun casting absorb attri on Carrabosse stealing its 10/tic regain. one of the few cases where casting actually improves your WS frequency.
I lol'd as I did this at every pixie VW fight I went to
 Shiva.Ashmulder
user: AshMulder
By Shiva.Ashmulder 2012-03-04 23:59:40  
Absorb-Charisma, cuz im not pretty enough.
[+]
 Phoenix.Urteil
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-03-05 08:47:51  
I still don't understand how this thread is going on.
 Phoenix.Lillicarnage
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Lillica
By Phoenix.Lillicarnage 2012-03-05 09:02:05  
Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I still don't understand how this thread is going on.

Because this is an FFXIAH forum, where the moderators jump all over pictures with boobies or the word "damn" in them, but closing a question thread that has been answered, derailed, rerailed, beaten like the dead horse it is, turned to stone, and squeezed until blood came out would be a travesty to all mankind.
[+]