users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Puppetmaster and Salvage
Puppetmaster and Salvage
 Ramuh.Konoko
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-05-10 05:19:27  
I was thinking about this for quite awhile, but I haven't really had anybody who I could ask so far, but anyways.

I haven't leveled a job to 75 in quite awhile. I don't have anything left to merit anymore because I have capped merits for all my jobs. I've been contemplating whether or not to take up a new job, and which job i'd take up, and I had some questions regarding the practicality of Puppetmaster in Salvage and Endgame.

I roughly remember hearing that Puppetmaster was great for Salvage, but after thinking about it, I don't understand how practical it would be as opposed to having a Monk instead, can somebody (or Gaea) please shine some light on this for me? Is it worth it to level to 75, merit, and gear up mainly for use in Salvage (Considering i'd like to start doing it a lot, most likely everyday if possible, in the future sometime.) ?

Also, what use does Puppetmaster have in terms of Endgame fights potential?
 Cerberus.Jiko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-05-10 05:34:35  
Coming from a 75 pup now..

..If you really wanna do salvage, level a more useful job. Mnk, Thf, Whm.. hell, you have rdm already.

You wont get into salvage with pup since you have rdm. And if it does happen, Then colour me impressed.

I'll get to your other questions later after I run to the store unless someone else gets them first.
[+]
 Siren.Cordareo
サーバ: Siren
user: Cordareo
By Siren.Cordareo 2009-05-10 06:52:17  
Puppetmaster is a great first job because you can fill in the roles that other jobs fill but take less space, but as a 4-5th job it becomes a bit more obsolete for someone to level.

By no means is it a replacement to a main healing White mage, or a full time nuking Black mage or pure damage dealing as many other jobs, but what I found was that I fit into a small little niche all my own and being able to take up the slack that my party usually encountered doing end game.

When I was doing sky we would fight the Doll NM inside the palace (I completely forget his name but he spams TP moves) and I would play BLM while there would be a PLD super tank, and then moments later post NM fight we'd farm for a pop item from the golems (forget as usual) and I'd stand back and play healer since we'd be killing multiple mobs at once and then when we farmed pots for the pop item for the 3 part NM I'd switch to warrior automaton and I'd melee since I provided some nice blunt dmg (not as good as a mnk) and I could self skillchain to bring the dmg up.

I haven't done salvage at all so I can't tell you how well PUP works in it from a personal stand point, but I have heard PUP is amazing and is one of the nice jobs to do it (from close end game friends who used to run salvage).

If you spend the time to merit Puppetmaster you can be a potent versatile tool that can fill many roles. The best example recently was in Nyzul Isle I went in as PUP/NIN using Ranger automaton, we encountered flans so I quickly swapped to BLM automaton for Fire IV (no blizz IV yet) and would Nuke deactivate, Nuke, then ventriloquy. Then on the next floor our WAR/NIN went down so I became temporary tank while he rested and when our WHM went down from links (kind of a nub group) I swapped to WHM and took over main healing while WHM rested. Needless to say we lost, but I had a blast. :)

That's all I can say about PUP from my own experiance. It's a very potent job, but requires a lot more work and preperation to be useful, i.e. Merits, Relic/Enkidu/Goliard/Errant plus /NIN, /SCH, /WHM, /WAR
 Pandemonium.Alexanderofodin
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Alexanderofodin 2009-05-10 07:03:09  
PUP is the funest job in game period you can stand back and /whm or you can go toe to toe with mobs but everyone makes fun of pup even people who get there *** handed to them by pups hell i've done a 2.3k AP and 2.3k darkness and the drg says "that all your toy can do?" people are just stuck up jerks 99% the time but hell if your looking for fun then level pup
 Seraph.Helixx
サーバ: Seraph
user: Helixx
By Seraph.Helixx 2009-05-10 08:40:14  
ok, 1st try to get into a salvage team as pup. this should show you how usefull pup is in salvage. Rather get MNK SAM WAR THF BLU RDM BLM SCH WHM, or even COR into salvage.

I hear that PUP is an excelent job, but (and i don't want to sound mean) i've yet to see one. People rather come BLM, WHM or MNK.

By all mean prove me wrong, Show me parse results of BLM / WHM / MNK vs PUP. Also if you see PUP's in usu gear, (like i do) they always have a MNK SAM or NIN leveled 75.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [142 days between previous and next post]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-09-29 14:36:50  
i think it cus a pup only needs jas and ammo slot unlocked and wham full powered automation to use, i might be wrong but think that was the reasoning
 Ragnarok.Yokyumosheemo
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: shimey
By Ragnarok.Yokyumosheemo 2009-09-29 14:56:11  
I'd rather take rdm to salvage instead of pup...I would love to take pup but it requires too much to fully unlock it, you need magic, range, equip, abilities..yadda yadda to make you automaton fully useful...

Personally if you are going for clear, i wouldnt take pup but if you are just farming, i don't see why not..but you would have to make sure all the needed jobs are covered 1st.
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-09-29 15:36:07  
Heimdall said:
i think it cus a pup only needs jas and ammo slot unlocked and wham full powered automation to use, i might be wrong but think that was the reasoning

If you plan on using mage puppet, you need magic as well. I also believe its stats are locked (int mnd mp) unless the master has those cells as well.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-09-30 06:41:35  
hmm maybe when pup first came out the automation didnt need unlocking, been years since i did salvage
 Kujata.Segaia
サーバ: Kujata
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-09-30 07:02:17  
Heimdall said:
hmm maybe when pup first came out the automation didnt need unlocking, been years since i did salvage

Thats the point. Oh well.. the topic is a bit old but...

Since Stringing Pummel and the introduction of the mini-expansion rewards... If you think PUP is still weak the PUP your facing either wears STR-rings full-time and you got a point or never tried it out and therefore are a bad player, because you should know what you can expect from other jobs even if you dont play them.

Being PUP in endgame is nice nowadays. You can do weird things of sh*t ppl dont even know because they were/are to dumb to try it out. In terms of damage, cant complain in dynamis. Stringing Pummel just owns and having a 1.2k nuke upwards every 20-30 secs will put you at the upper end of your parse-lists.

In Nyzul Isle i still prefer BLU, because i have it and it has the nice light-based sleeps you WILL need and i find PUP for this task just too slow. BLU can heal, sleep and fire tons of damage at any time.

For sky... lol i kited Despot so many times with my BLM frame because i got hate. We killed Ulla Grande(sp?) with 4 ppl and i kited it along the map with my PLD-frame (Provoke + Shield Bash = *** YEA XD). The most funny thing is the PLD frame can outDD a good SAM on Kirin most of the time. Genbu is critical tho on BLM frame. We dont have Thunder IV so logically it will only cast Thunder III, that still pisses me off.

Well tbh, if you have PUP you should know when to come as your job and when not. PUP is one of the jobs in endgame that requires a lot concentration and a good macro-management along with the neccessary merits and equip. If you can fulfill that AND know what your doing you are allowed to lol at other players. If you are still wearing full PUP AF or STR-rings at 75 please... do us all a favor quit. Your just a running stigma.

Personal complain:
Ppl are to lazy to try things out. If your doing Einherjar gdi get at least 2 DNC for the final boss... IF your whining you can't win your just a bad leader >.>
 Kujata.Segaia
user: Segaia
By Kujata.Segaia 2009-09-30 07:09:47  
now everyone must think germans are complainbies lol
 Kujata.Argettio
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2009-09-30 07:12:06  
Segaia said:
Heimdall said:

Since Stringing Pummel and the introduction of the mini-expansion rewards... If you think PUP is still weak the PUP your facing either wears STR-rings full-time and you got a point or your half-assed knowledge proves you as an idiot.

Being PUP in endgame is nice nowadays. You can do weird things of sh*t ppl dont even know because they were to dumb to try it out. In terms of damage, cant complain in dynamis. Stringing Pummel just owns and having a 1.2k nuke upwards every 20-30 secs will put you at the upper end of your parse-lists.

Personal complain:
Ppl are to lazy to try things out. If your doing Einherjar gdi get at least 2 DNC for the final boss... IF your whining you can't win your just a bad leader >.>

I agree with this.

There are far too many bad PUPs out there giving the job a bad name. A good pup with the right gear/merits/attachments then they are value to most events.

Although salvage is a little different, taking more than the minimum people is inefficient and slows the group down and unfortunately for PUPs, they aren't one of the 'standard salvage jobs' so a lot of people will over look them. PUP (like SCH) require a lot of cells to function properly, which means more farming trash mobs and less NMs.
 Kujata.Muze
user: Muze
By Kujata.Muze 2009-10-01 08:14:47  
Argettio said:
Segaia said:
Heimdall said:

Since Stringing Pummel and the introduction of the mini-expansion rewards... If you think PUP is still weak the PUP your facing either wears STR-rings full-time and you got a point or your half-assed knowledge proves you as an idiot.

Being PUP in endgame is nice nowadays. You can do weird things of sh*t ppl dont even know because they were to dumb to try it out. In terms of damage, cant complain in dynamis. Stringing Pummel just owns and having a 1.2k nuke upwards every 20-30 secs will put you at the upper end of your parse-lists.

Personal complain:

I agree with this.

There are far too many bad PUPs out there giving the job a bad name. A good pup with the right gear/merits/attachments then they are value to most events.

Although salvage is a little different, taking more than the minimum people is inefficient and slows the group down and unfortunately for PUPs, they aren't one of the 'standard salvage jobs' so a lot of people will over look them. PUP (like SCH) require a lot of cells to function properly, which means more farming trash mobs and less NMs.

I think it's a matter of preference to be honest. A Pup, purely on its own and purely speaking on terms of replacing a key job (support, tank) may not be a good idea. Yet, the strength of a puppetmaster lies first and foremost in the automaton and the brains of the player.

What people seem to forget is that a PUP needs little to no support during an event and can swap Damage types to increase the performance drastically, with a lot more control over the pet than a BST. A Pup can also function as a puller (Flashbulb trick) or even a proper support. The automaton has virtually unlimited MP. It makes it really easy to unload on cure Vs / Blizzard IVs with a potency that would be similar to a RDMs (or slightly above) if they had access to such spells.

In the case of Salvage cells, you will need the MP, Magic, Ranged and Ability (duh), secondary are CHR, INT and MND. Those shouldn't pose too much of a problem as a ton of cells drop anyhow as you progress.

In conclusion, if you want to replace a main healer / main tank, better do it with a class suited for that job, but as a back up / viable and versatile extra DD, Pup will not disappoint at all.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-01 12:16:56  
My prob w/ pup in salvage is that I only bring the key jobs to begin with. Less people on your run, less people each person has to lot against. With a set up like mnk mnk rdm whm brd thf, you're not rly gonna find any of those jobs you want to exchange for a pup
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2009-10-01 12:18:04  
But rly its the same with a lot of jobs, pld nin rng ect I don't like to bring either