フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Apocalypse or Ragnarok
Apocalypse or Ragnarok
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-03-09 17:52:45  
If you had to pick one, Apoc is a no brainer. It changes the job and the way you play it. (obviously) It also allows you to shuffle gear around to maximize gear sets.

I have yet to find a Rag user that is properly geared for the weapon. (5-6 TP sets,3-4 WS sets) I'll have mine soon, just so I can gear it and test it. I have not been impressed with the weapon so far, but most people don't gear/macro/play like I do.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-09 17:55:37  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Bahamut.Serj said: »
Well, those are the players who never got anything accomplished in the game at 75 cap.
Apoc vs. Ragnarok aside, this is completely fallacious.
^

Sylph.Arckain said: »
Question ever since the lvl caps increase started and game changed. Did anyone else notice the number of and elitist and the ego that follows increased dramatically with every major update?

Not trying to be a ***. Just sick of everyone painting ***so black and white. that being said.

Both are great weapons In their own way.

I think you should focus on how you play dark knight and then pick the weapon the best suits your play style and needs.
I noticed the opposite, actually, and game mechanics really are pretty black-and-white most of the time.

Asura.Failaras said: »
I know that for a large amount of things Ragnarok is a slightly better weapon, but this is hilariously wrong:
Quote:
Given the choice, I would absolutely go with Ragnarok. Outside of the roaming instances that I mentioned, an Apoc DRK will be better of using any old GSD with Resolution. A Ragnarok DRK will always be using Ragnarok.
Everyone seems be be focusing on the drain being the only reason to use Apoc, when in reality the power of the weapon comes from the huge amount of attack, accuracy, and free gear slots you gain.
The benefit of Cata's haste is prone to extreme variations depending on the conditions you're operating under. For instance, if acc is capped and you have 2x marches then it's very hard to fully capitalize on aftermath with LR up because you're already able to sacrifice 10%ish gear haste without aftermath. If you're playing defensively then that's another matter, but obviously in that case the drain is also quite relevant.

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
There's a vast difference between 'minor margin' and '2x the damage'. I can check later as I'm busy now.

There's a fair share of hyperbole going on here aside from me. I am genuine though being that the Cata's I saw at 95 kept up with Resolution, and that was before the 99 bump. I just don't see it being as bad of a blow out as people here are making it out to be.
I'll try and go into detail later tonight. Last comparison I did was with marches so it was obviously skewed against Apoc, but I can do a more detailed workup. Qualifications for a "giant gap" are obviously subjective though.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-09 17:56:56  
Catastrophe keeping up with Resolution? I'd like to see the gimp who was doing the Resolution.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2012-03-09 17:58:30  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
If you had to pick one, Apoc is a no brainer. It changes the job and the way you play it. (obviously) It also allows you to shuffle gear around to maximize gear sets.

I have yet to find a Rag user that is properly geared for the weapon. (5-6 TP sets,3-4 WS sets) I'll have mine soon, just so I can gear it and test it. I have not been impressed with the weapon so far, but most people don't gear/macro/play like I do.

Since when do you need 6 TP sets for Ragnarok? lol..
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-09 17:59:35  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Catastrophe keeping up with Resolution? I'd like to see the gimp who was doing the Resolution.
Also, this... If Cata was truly keeping up with Reso at 95 I can only assume the Reso user had OAT GS and gear weaker than that of the competing Apoc, or else was suffering from accuracy issues. Reso really does destroy Cata, on the order of a 40-50% increase in per-WS damage if comparing 99 Rag to 99 Apoc (and thus granting Cata the full 40% boost).
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-09 18:01:04  
Maybe the monster had a fresh Utsusemi: Ni up, in which case Catastrophe totally would be better.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-09 18:01:36  
Phoenix.Chomeymatt said: »

You're only making his point. I can think of 6 TP sets for Ragnarok quite easily.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-03-09 18:03:27  

Well, let's say 3 levels of accuracy for normal sets.
And 3 levels of accuracy for when you have LR + marches (need less haste) ?
That's 6 right there.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2012-03-09 18:03:34  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »

You're only making his point. I can think of 6 TP sets for Ragnarok quite easily.

You can't 5hit, you can 6hit with the new Askar gear, there's not much differences with a 7hit. Lastresort / march gear. That's 4ish max. Please tell me the last two.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-03-09 18:03:53  

Yep, Sadly i only have 3 TP sets for apoc atm =/ i know im gimp. But i Dont really do VW with drk atm. so i dont have a "I have brd and cor or i have brd no cor, and etc" sets atm. i only have solo/low man.

but its easy to be able to come up with 6+ sets for each weapon.
 Fenrir.Terminus
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2012-03-09 18:04:15  
Oh for sure. Bashful, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, and Doc - and that's just off the top of my head.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-03-09 18:05:47  
Standard low acc TP set, high acc tp set(rarely sees use, lamorak and T6 that last longer than agressor/DE duration), Last resort+March set for all realistic purposes. I have yet to see a (good) apoc even come close in VW. 3.1-3.7k resolution averages in my parses, how much is entropy doing?

I get that you love your apoc, and yes apoc does have purposes other than dealing damage. Just stop spouting that it is the superior DD weapon.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-03-09 18:07:27  
Also, this... If Cata was truly keeping up with Reso at 95 I can only assume the Reso user had OAT GS and gear weaker than that of the competing Apoc, or else was suffering from accuracy issues. Reso really does destroy Cata, on the order of a 40-50% increase in per-WS damage if comparing 99 Rag to 99 Apoc (and thus granting Cata the full 40% boost).

Even with OaT Gsword Resolution was keeping up with Ukkos which trashed Catastrophe. Though the DRK did have a good Entropy set and it was pretty close to Reso. Maybe on average 200 points less (Impressed me for a 100% INT mod though)
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-03-09 18:11:13  
Honestly, Ragnarok is the better weapon for all out offensive, bar none. Apocalypse offers you only utility at the cost of a somewhat significant damage decrease. Not talking about the drain either, as that's mostly irrelevant. There aren't many times where your Catastrophe is life and death if your support is bad enough to warrant that situation to manifest to begin with. The main draw of Apocalypse is its ability to allow you to augment TP sets with stats other than haste, which in most cases is also somewhat irrelevant but can be useful in certain circumstances.

If I had a choice between an Apocalypse and a Ragnarok, I would go with Ragnarok simply because I would never be without support if I was on DRK, as there are better jobs to do the things that you would be trying to do to make Apocalypse a relevant asset.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-03-09 18:13:33  
Apoc is good for the survivability it grands, in that you can cap haste and keep capped PDT/MDT with aftermath active. I'm assuming this kind of utility will be valued for things like Legion anyways.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2012-03-09 18:14:02  
I too am missing something here where Apoc is some kind of sub par weapon.

Apoc is a beast, it offers a style of playing that's strictly unique to DRK. Cata/Entropy WSs will open up more options for solo/duo play. You'll be able to do more with less people

Rag is a beast, it offers flexibility across three jobs, Scourge's aftermath and Resolution spam will probably out-parse almost everything in the game.

Personally I went with Apoc.

However situated they are towards the game is it currently is, there's no telling how that will shift as 99 endgame develops further.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-03-09 18:15:08  
Scourge is a waste of a WS, but yes both weapons serve different purposes and are both highly useful.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-03-09 18:17:28  

Resolution on Ragnarok 99 is doing 50% more than Cata on 99 Apoc is?
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-03-09 18:20:26  
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Scourge is a waste of a WS

It does look cool.
NOT A TOTAL WASTE.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-03-09 18:21:41  
Touche, I also like to spam it at Qilin for some Koki-like TH up in this ***.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2012-03-09 18:22:05  
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »
Touche, I also like to spam it at Qilin for some Koki-like TH up in this ***.

Drops NQ daggers.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-03-09 18:27:07  
Moar gorgets.
 Bismarck.Sylow
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Sylow 2012-03-09 18:34:23  
Well, you didn't have decent players at the Legion event either, nor optimal job setups. Sooooooooooooooooo, yea.

And if everyone's busy curing the wars and sams, you shouldn't be on drk :)

Duh, you should be on DNC.
[+]
By Gimpness 2012-03-09 18:52:33  
NO! Bad Sylow! :3

loldnc!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-09 19:11:23  

You can't 5hit, you can 6hit with the new Askar gear, there's not much differences with a 7hit. Lastresort / march gear. That's 4ish max. Please tell me the last two.
Standard, LR + Marches, and the following variants on those sets:

-accuracy
-PDT hybrid

makes at least 5-6 sets without exploring any potential variations in x-hit or otherwise varying builds based on buffs.

Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Resolution on Ragnarok 99 is doing 50% more than Cata on 99 Apoc is?
Was going by memory, 40% is more accurate given current top-end gear.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-03-09 19:23:08  
and what about Resolution VS Entropy? Thats what you should be looking at. 3 dusty wing catas in VW will last through most fights. which at 99 do decent dmg. then follow those by Entropy. I know entropy falls behind Res. but i dont know by how much.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-09 19:30:02  
A bit under 30% at a quick glance.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-03-09 19:45:18  
also night, do DA,TA,QA procs on entropy/reso still count as 1.0? or since ftp is carried over on all hits on these ws are they the same .75 at 100%tp? (excluding ele gear)

Also would an 8 hit entropy out damage an 8 hit reso at 100%tp?

i would ask about 200/300% but it seems as though resolutions ftp scales better than entropys'

Just curious is all^^
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-09 19:52:04  
Bismarck.Nevill said: »
War/Sam
Quoting for emphasis

Bismarck.Sylow said: »
Well, you didn't have decent players at the Legion event either, nor optimal job setups. Sooooooooooooooooo, yea.

And if everyone's busy curing the wars and sams, you shouldn't be on drk :)

Duh, you should be on DNC.
Really hope it revives healing style DNC. D:
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-03-09 22:22:52  
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
also night, do DA,TA,QA procs on entropy/reso still count as 1.0? or since ftp is carried over on all hits on these ws are they the same .75 at 100%tp? (excluding ele gear)
I've no proof either way but I would presume fTP does transfer to DA/TA/QA attacks.

Quote:
Also would an 8 hit entropy out damage an 8 hit reso at 100%tp?
If it did it would be due to the difference in base damage between the two weapons. Reso's fTP isn't all that much lower and its WSC is significantly more favorable. Both can spike well into the 6k range with good rolls on pDIF and even beyond that with Scarlet Delirium and/or Souleater.

EDIT: A quick base damage count says Entropy still loses at 8 hits.

Speaking of Entropy,
Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
and what about Resolution VS Entropy? Thats what you should be looking at. 3 dusty wing catas in VW will last through most fights. which at 99 do decent dmg. then follow those by Entropy. I know entropy falls behind Res. but i dont know by how much.
Well, that's still a WS that could have been a bigger WS. You're gaining WS frequency (in theory, not necessarily in practice if mob dies before LR goes down) and thus hopefully making that up within the one minute timeframe, but it's not pure gain. Also I tend to avoid doing comparisons within the context of Voidwatch unless specifically building for Voidwatch.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10