Game: FFXI
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-05 20:06:46  

07-05-2012 07:15 AM
[source]
Oriole
Community Rep

[dev1126] Fishing Adjustments

• An upper limit on the frame rate for fishing animations has been implemented so as to decrease the gap experienced between different platforms.

Subscribe

07-10-2012 05:20 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

As some players have been testing out these adjustments on the test server, there were some comments mentioning that the processing felt a bit laggy.

Yoji Fujito mentioned in a post on the JP forum that there is a possibility that this could be a bug due to the imposed frame rate limitation; however, the original goal was to eliminate the difference between PC capabilities as well decrease the gap between different platforms, so slower processing is more or less what was being aimed for.

He also mentioned that the next phase of these fishing adjustments is to change the system so that instead of fish HP decreasing while you constantly hold down the directional keys, HP will decrease if you hit the directional key once.

If you haven’t tried it out for yourself yet, we highly recommend you test it out and let us know your feedback so we can relay it to the Development Team while it is still on the test server.
Subscribe
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-05 20:35:08  
Oh finally, I've been waiting all my life for a change of this magnitude. Never again will I be wanting for my fishing animations to be 10 fps instead of 30.
[+]
 Odin.Terren
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Terren 2012-07-05 21:52:08  
I still don't understand why they even made fishing difficulty scale with FPS to begin with. What the hell kind of programming is that?
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-07-05 21:53:52  
Right. Because the *frame rate* is the reason PC fishers make so much more gil than xbox/ps2 fishers.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-05 22:26:02  
It's to help non botting fishers on PC to fish like you can on PS2.
[+]
 Leviathan.Korialstrasz
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Korialstrasz 2012-07-05 23:57:37  
I've never played on a PS2. What is the significance of this?
 Bahamut.Bekisa
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Bekisa 2012-07-06 00:23:47  
I've played on all three platforms; fishing on a PC is by far harder for fish that move faster than PS2 or Xbox (Xbox a little more like PC though). I've been told slower PC's and higher end PC's differ as well but can't say from experience.

Since the frame rate is higher for PC, your rod moves much faster. It's really noticeable on fish like Ryugu Titans.

But PC has access to Windower, so I'm willing to call it even ;)
By Damantha 2012-07-06 05:03:19  
So does this mean PC users can finally catch a dang gug?
 Odin.Tsuneo
サーバ: Odin
user: Tsuneo
By Odin.Tsuneo 2012-07-06 05:11:49  
What? PC users can catch gugs with the proper rings.
[+]
 Phoenix.Nerji
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Nerji
By Phoenix.Nerji 2012-07-06 05:51:12  
You can use programs to slow down your pc so your fps is about ~15 which does make fishing a lot easier
 Carbuncle.Nibu
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-07-06 16:48:11  
The point is, non-botting fishers on the PC have to go to greater lengths to catch a fish as easily as PS2 players. Using rings/lowering your FPS on a PC basically only "evens" the playing field. And then, of course, PS2 players can use rings to make it even easier for them to catch fish, which gives them the edge again (in terms of how easy it is to drain a fish).

Of course, this update only has significance for those who legitimately fish without a bot, so while I have reason to be excited, I can respect that others do not.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-07-10 18:42:31  
07-10-2012 05:20 PM
[source]
Camate
Community Rep

Greetings!

As some players have been testing out these adjustments on the test server, there were some comments mentioning that the processing felt a bit laggy.

Yoji Fujito mentioned in a post on the JP forum that there is a possibility that this could be a bug due to the imposed frame rate limitation; however, the original goal was to eliminate the difference between PC capabilities as well decrease the gap between different platforms, so slower processing is more or less what was being aimed for.

He also mentioned that the next phase of these fishing adjustments is to change the system so that instead of fish HP decreasing while you constantly hold down the directional keys, HP will decrease if you hit the directional key once.

If you haven’t tried it out for yourself yet, we highly recommend you test it out and let us know your feedback so we can relay it to the Development Team while it is still on the test server.
Subscribe
 Bismarck.Xurion
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Xurion
By Bismarck.Xurion 2012-07-19 09:11:38  
Quote:
Interesting.

Either this will require the player to hit a different key to stop the automatic pulling, or this will mean the end of replenishing fish stamina by pressing the wrong directional key vs the rod.

Edit: lol@Camate using the term HP instead of stamina.
By Avitori 2012-07-26 18:37:59  
This framerate change is making my eyes bleed...please change it back
:(
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-07-26 18:50:00  
So wait... the process feeling laggy is a bug with cutting the maximum, already shitty frame rate in half? A bug? God damn.