users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » New to Fishing
New to Fishing
 Quetzalcoatl.Tanag
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Tanag
By Quetzalcoatl.Tanag 2012-08-02 16:32:43  
I've been thinking of getting into fishing as there seems to be a good amount of profit to be had. I have a few questions though.

What's the best guide to follow for skilling up now?
Is there still a cap of 200 attempts a day? If so how long will it take to get to 100 skill?
How much profit can actually be made? I see crazy numbers thrown around like from 3 to 9 mil a day. That seems crazy, is there any truth to it? If yes, how? (if you dont wanna give away secrets thats cool, I'm speaking generally)
What guild KI are an absolute must? Is it just the ones to get Ebisu?

Really appreciate any help. It's difficult to wade through all the information, and to know whats still correct between the fishing changes that have happened.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-08-02 16:46:17  
Quetzalcoatl.Tanag said: »
I've been thinking of getting into fishing as there seems to be a good amount of profit to be had. I have a few questions though.

What's the best guide to follow for skilling up now?
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/25905/lets-talk-fishing/33/#1707457

Is there still a cap of 200 attempts a day?
There is a cap of 200, Ebisu provides a 5% increase for 210 I believe.

If so how long will it take to get to 100 skill?
If you fished to cap everyday, a few months... maybe a month.

How much profit can actually be made? I see crazy numbers thrown around like from 3 to 9 mil a day. That seems crazy, is there any truth to it? If yes, how? (if you dont wanna give away secrets thats cool, I'm speaking generally)
9 mil...a day

It would be more like 500k - 2 mil depending on what you're doing at the end, and if there is a new fish in demand then that will greatly increase your profit.

What guild KI are an absolute must? Is it just the ones to get Ebisu?
I personally did:

Waders > Fisherman's Apron > Serpent Rumors > Fisherman's Signboard > Fishermen's Emblem (when it came out)

I don't have any others, and that order might not be appropriate for you, it's just how I did it.

Get Rumors, Apron, and Emblem at least.

Really appreciate any help. It's difficult to wade through all the information, and to know whats still correct between the fishing changes that have happened.
np, hope you enjoy fishing!
[+]
 Sylph.Zefyr
サーバ: Sylph
user: Zefyr
By Sylph.Zefyr 2012-08-02 16:49:29  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Is there still a cap of 200 attempts a day?
There is a cap of 200, Ebisu provides a 5% increase for 210 I believe.

To clarify: it's not 200 attempts. It's 200 reeled in items, fish or monsters (I believe). When skilling I always cancel items and monsters (the messages you get are different so you can tell now what you've hooked), so you can actually reel in 200 fish.

Edit: now I'm second-guessing myself. Is it bites, or reeled-in things? I know that if you cast and "don't catch anything" that doesn't count toward the 200, but I'm not 100% sure on bites that you cancel. I think they don't count but now I'm not sure.
 Bismarck.Dreadnot
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dreadnot 2012-08-02 17:02:39  
It's 200 reeled in catches.
 Quetzalcoatl.Tanag
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tanag
By Quetzalcoatl.Tanag 2012-08-02 17:07:45  
Appreciate the responses. Kalilla thats loads of info, thanks!

I thought 9 mil was crazy and couldn't be true. 500k-2mil is still pretty nice.