Gay rights abroad
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:36:13  
Your strawman is irrelevant to everything.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-05 18:37:03  
Fenrir.Jinjo said: »
Your strawman is irrelevant to everything.

No, it's really not.
 Odin.Headstrong
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Headstrong 2012-08-05 18:37:07  

>:
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:37:22  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
Fenrir.Sylow said: »
If oppression were easy to understand, then people would stop doing it.
You can't honestly be that naive. You're implying that people are oppressive simply because they don't understand.

Okay fine, then people who aren't sociopathic would stop doing it.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:38:21  
Then go ahead, seriously. Explain to me what it feels like to be oppressed as an LGBTQ individual. Not being sarcastic.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-05 18:38:35  
Y'all need to read some more Edward Saiid and Jared Diamond to understand why oppression happens. It has nothing to do with a lack of understanding as to what something feels like.

Cognitive dissonance, ahoy.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:38:44  
Since I speak for all gay people, mods, please *** lock this thread.
[+]
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-05 18:39:11  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
The hell did I just walk into?

Jinjo's trying to prove that straight people literally cannot have any sense of emotional understanding or empathy for the plight that gay people undergo, and others insist that if you aren't straight you can't comment because you're 'privileged', whatever the *** that means.

You can try to empathize if you want, but you will never actually know what it's like. I feel as though that's really basic.

STOP hiding behind this statement when you have no argument left to give, you ask for acceptance like everybody else yet you make statements like this indicating that you are somehow special from the rest of the world. You are going against the very principle the LGBT community is striving for.
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:39:17  
Ramuh.Laffter said: »
I don't think it's quite that simple.

Assuming that someone of a marginalized class is speaking for all members of that class just because they're willing to open their mouths and speak is oppression.
How the... I don't even know how you came to that conclusion.

It was oppression when Martin Luther King Jr spoke for the entire Black community one day?

This is what I read from that.

One may not want to be the said representative, but as soon as one puts their opinion out to another community freely, making it open to interpretation and debate, they are one.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2012-08-05 18:39:29  
Well, it is page 9...
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:40:05  
Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
Y'all need to read some more Edward Saiid and Jared Diamond to understand why oppression happens. It has nothing to do with a lack of understanding as to what something feels like.

Cognitive dissonance, ahoy.

You really like strawmanning. Nobody has said it is the cause. Sylow stated that it would be less likely to continue happening if everyone knew what oppression felt like/were even aware they were enforcing it at points.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:40:19  

Assuming that someone of a marginalized class is speaking for all members of that class just because they're willing to open their mouths and speak is oppression.

It was oppression when Martin Luther King Jr spoke for the entire Black community one day?

One may not want to be the said representative, but as soon as one puts their opinion out to another community freely, making it open to interpretation and debate, they are one.

So then I'm to assume you speak for all straight people, right?
By Artemicion 2012-08-05 18:41:04  
It's unfortunate we're at ends with each other when we all share a relatively like minded sense of civil progression. All because of semantics and subjective accounts of individualistic misunderstandings.
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:41:21  

I am not saying I believe myself to be, but it may be interpreted that way and that is fine with me.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2012-08-05 18:41:23  
Valefor.Slipispsycho said: »
You can't honestly be that naive. You're implying that people are oppressive simply because they don't understand.

Okay fine, then people who aren't sociopathic would stop doing it.
That's still incredibly naive, bordering on delusional..

You don't have to be sociopathic to use oppression even when you understand fully what it does or what it feels like. The same as you don't have to be a serial killer or sociopathic to kill people in times of war.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:42:50  

I am not saying I believe myself to be, but it may be interpreted that way and that is fine with me.

The thing is, though, that it isn't. That's what he's getting at.
 Fenrir.Sylow
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-08-05 18:43:51  

Of course you are. Because you don't have to worry about "harming the position" of straight people.

But with us, you can use any misstep against us and say "Well, I don't really support gay people as much anymore because you're being mean to me."

Do you see the differencre?
[+]
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:44:30  

The thing is, though, that it isn't. That's what he's getting at.
I understood that. There is always a chance an impressionable person (in this case, me learning from you, specifically, about the numerous rights the LGBT community is trying to secure) would believe it.
By Artemicion 2012-08-05 18:46:50  
It's a matter of perception really.
If I act like a gross pig to a woman, she'll passively interpret that behavior towards men in general or even men of straight orientation. When in reality, it was just me that spoiled it for a bunch of others.

The same can apply to gays. If someone acts mellow dramatic, camp, or otherwise undesirable with their given behavior, it would reflect poorly on the community of their orientation. It's nor fair or correct, but it does happen. It's my hope that people reflect experiences upon individuals rather than blanketing social circles as a whole.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-08-05 18:47:08  

Of course you are. Because you don't have to worry about "harming the position" of straight people.

But with us, you can use any misstep against us and say "Well, I don't really support gay people as much anymore because you're being mean to me."

The issue with this is that I believe you have every right to be angry (a very basic right that you are not denied, I might add). I am not just giving permission for it. I am not going to jump and change my belief that you deserve the right to feel human just because my feelings might get hurt by someone. I may be one of the few who can say so, but by god, I am on your side even though I couldn't possibly understand.

Call it blind faith or call it bigotry. Humans deserve to be treated as humans.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2012-08-05 18:47:31  
So wait. You're pissed off you're the minority? Has nothing to do with oppression, it has to do with being a minority. The most heavily oppressed don't even have a voice or figure head in media.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-05 18:48:26  

No, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and attempting to put Laffter's statement out of context to compensate your argument. He already said he does not speak for everyone that is straight and that it's up to you how you interpret that. That should be enough clarification but you are using it as a scapegoat. Nobody with any sense will turn against an entire community because of the opinions of one individual.
By Artemicion 2012-08-05 18:48:27  

As I noted before, it's a responsibility to work on not giving personal experiences as an excuse to negatively project upon groups of others, no matter how wide or narrow. It works both ways, regardless of whether one is in the majority or minority.
 Fenrir.Toogood
user: toogood
By Fenrir.Toogood 2012-08-05 18:49:43  
Since I speak for all gay people, mods, please *** lock this thread.

I don't see why it should be locked. You two opened the discussion on what it has evolved to. The thread isn't in your favor, so you guys quickly pull the victim card and set the bar for aggression and anger in all of this. Lie in it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:49:55  
Ugh, straight people.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2012-08-05 18:50:01  
I understood that. There is always a chance an impressionable person (in this case, me learning from you, specifically, about the numerous rights the LGBT community is trying to secure) would believe it.

If you want an impression of the LGBT community. Don't judge them by individuals online. Make genuine real-life friendships. There is often a lot of misinterpretation online.

These forums, especially, often develop into hostile pissing contests. Much has to do with different age groups, education, upbringings, etc...

There are all different types of LGBT- just like there are all different types of straight people.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2012-08-05 18:50:32  
I'm a little confused at what you're trying to get across, Sylow.

You want equality (to be treated as a human), but you're saying I shouldn't ignore that you're different?

Aside from acknowledging that difference, what else can be done without interacting with you differently than any other person I'm not very familiar with?
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xueye
By Quetzalcoatl.Xueye 2012-08-05 18:50:36  
Then go ahead, seriously. Explain to me what it feels like to be oppressed as an LGBTQ individual. Not being sarcastic.

At the core of it, it feels like drowning.

You ever start drowning? You're gasping, barely breaking the surface, treading water I think the term would be, getting enough air to continue your own suffering.

It's a lot like that, you see.

Because oppression, oppression feels an awful lot like you're drowning, and you know what the life guards do? The life guards keep swimming over to you and grabbing your necklace. And what do they do?

They put another stone on it before you swim away.

So you're treading water, you can't catch a break, you're suffering. You can't do anything to help yourself, because you can't find the damn ocean. How do you fight an ocean? So you keep treading that water, drowning, drowning, drowning.

Your lungs are filling up with water, and this is the part where you're losing the will to fight because your society of lifeguards keeps tossing stones on your necklace. They don't want you back on the beach: they want you drowned. They never want to hear from you.

The pain, the pain that someone hates you so much for some stupid *** reason that doesn't matter at all, is strong: pain because they don't even want to hear you, they just want you gone. It's cold. It's cold, it's grim.

And you think of your partner on the beach. He keeps trying to swim out to give you some hope, to help you make it through the ocean of troubles you're drowning in, but the lifeguards, they keep holding him back because they hate you all so much. They just want him to suffer, and the shear barbarity of that makes your blood absolutely boil.

As you tread water out there, you know you are alone, even in a sea of drowning people. You can't help each other, because there are so many stones around your neck that you're going to drown unless some of the people on the beach that aren't drowning decide to help you out, decide that you deserve the right to live too.

It's cold, it's barren. Everyone sees you drowning, but no one wants to lend a hand except a small few -- and those guys, they're being held back by everyone else.

Imagine that: even the people that want to help you, they can't, because so many people just baselessly and senselessly hate everything there is to do with you just because of something so trivial.

And it's so damn easy to drown, but you want to keep trying to get back to the shore: because there's people you love, there's things you want to do.

They won't even let you swim to shore properly like the other "normal" people, because they hate you.

How could another person just hate so much? It hurts, it burns your eyes trying to fathom it. You didn't do anything wrong.

You've done nothing wrong, you can't fight, and they keep trying to see you die.

Tell me I don't understand what it feels like.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-08-05 18:51:28  
Okay. No. It feels different for every person. Lol.
 Ramuh.Sagittario
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2012-08-05 18:52:29  
Ugh, straight people.

Again, another fine example of how you place yourself on some sort of pedestal and burst into tears and claim you are being victimised when asked to climb down.
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12