Bismarck.Jonadriel
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-07 15:56:01  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Bismarck.Jonadriel said: »
But you built the MYTHIC. That's what it's for, for pup. It's for the dmg increase lol. You can farm dynamis/VW easily without it. Kenkonken are built to radically increase a pup's dmg output.
True, so, there's no need to sacrifice other good stats that can be added if dmg is not a prob, and I can assure you, for me, dmg is not a prob at all.

If your dmg "isn't a problem" why on earth are you asking for suggestions? Clearly there is room for VAST improvement. Also, as clearly shown with math, subtle blow is hardly a "good" stat and easily sacrificed.

I ask for suggestions cause I can assure you I don't know everything and I like considering other ppl's thought and make changes accordingly, as u can see I am doing. But ultimately is my choice based on what I think will work best after all the suggestions.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-07 16:03:08  
Yea, I agree. I'll make sure to change cape when fighting mobs when all that matter is pure raw dmg. But when I am solo stuff I think i'd prefer not to get +10% dmg, but it all depends on what I am fighting anyway.
Ok I get it no rancor when it's dangerous, but you should still benefit more from Pantin than Vellanous.
 Bismarck.Zagen
user: Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-02-07 16:04:52  
Bismarck.Zagen said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
That +5 Subtle blow is totally game changing...

Total subtle blow is +22. No need to be sarcastic if trying to prove a point. I'll appreciate being nice about trying to make someone see that, based on your personal thoughts, is not the best option.
Before factoring Subtle Blow you're feeding 9 TP a hit.
100 / 9 = 11.11 (12 hits to feed 100+ TP)
Subtle Blow +12 (my suggestion) = 7.9 TP a hit.
100 / 7.9 = 12.65 (13 hits to 100+ TP)
Subtle Blow +22 = 7 TP a hit.
100 / 7 = 14.28 (15 hits to 100+ TP)

Your 10 Subtle blow saves you 1 round at the cost of 3-4 DPS.
I totally get the balanced thing now.

Edit: Doesn't factor additional Subtle Blow from AGI which could actually make that extra 10 partially/completely useless.
Cool, thx for putting time to math that, I appreciate it. I see the difference now, still, -9 tp less for an enemy when soloing can make a difference when fighting T+ mobs. A bit that pulls me down is that I still don't see the need for the sarcasm.
You asked for suggestion on a pure master DD set. Certain assumptions are made based on that such as:
1) The monster can barely hit you, so there isn't a need to sacrifice damage for survival.
2) The monster can hit you but your puppet (with or without reactivates) can safely keep you alive.
3) You have a healer able to keep you alive.

In none of these situations is 10% damage going to hurt you to the point it's a concern. The sarcasm is because you fail to grasp that idea. You spent a lot of gil on a weapon yet fail to grasp basic concepts of fighting.

Also a further note on Subtle Blow, it does nothing when a monster's HP is above 25% as TP moves are random once above 100% TP, also if a monster has regain, or can use TP moves at will. You're grasping at reasons to justify gimping yourself.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-07 16:11:47  
Last time I checked the thread tittle is Puppetmaster TP gear. A very general way. Nowhere I said it was for pure DD set. Actually, I did said that I don't consider only dmg and that I also consider what I use my PUP most for.

And thx for your info on subtle blow, I appreciate letting me understand a bit more how it works and is applied; I just wish u were a bit less defensive or sarcastic. In n oway I am trying to validate my set over yours or other thoughts, I just want to learn more than what I know.
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 16:11:59  
That +5 Subtle blow is totally game changing...

Total subtle blow is +22. No need to be sarcastic if trying to prove a point. I'll appreciate being nice about trying to make someone see that, based on your personal thoughts, is not the best option.
100 / 9 = 11.11 (12 hits to feed 100+ TP)
Subtle Blow +12 (my suggestion) = 7.9 TP a hit.
100 / 7.9 = 12.65 (13 hits to 100+ TP)
Subtle Blow +22 = 7 TP a hit.
100 / 7 = 14.28 (15 hits to 100+ TP)

Your 10 Subtle blow saves you 1 round at the cost of 3-4 DPS.
I totally get the balanced thing now.

Edit: Doesn't factor additional Subtle Blow from AGI which could actually make that extra 10 partially/completely useless.
Cool, thx for putting time to math that, I appreciate it. I see the difference now, still, -9 tp less for an enemy when soloing can make a difference when fighting T+ mobs. A bit that pulls me down is that I still don't see the need for the sarcasm.
You asked for suggestion on a pure master DD set. Certain assumptions are made based on that such as:
1) The monster can barely hit you, so there isn't a need to sacrifice damage for survival.
2) The monster can hit you but your puppet (with or without reactivates) can safely keep you alive.
3) You have a healer able to keep you alive.

In none of these situations is 10% damage going to hurt you to the point it's a concern. The sarcasm is because you fail to grasp that idea. You spent a lot of gil on a weapon yet fail to grasp basic concepts of fighting.

Also a further note on Subtle Blow, it does nothing when a monster's HP is above 25% as TP moves are random once above 100% TP, also if a monster has regain, or can use TP moves at will. You're grasping at reasons to justify gimping yourself.

dat 3 attack... lol
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 16:39:14  
Zagen, for the record, even when a mob can hit you, if you're soloing on pup, it's still fine to use rancor back. I used it for farming DC mobs in dynamis (That's what Jon uses his pup for) and would tank like 3-4 at a time if I linked. Deactivate healing is just as easy as deactivate nuking. Quick C6's for like full hp are dope. Just sayin'.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-07 16:41:56  
Zagen, for the record, even when a mob can hit you, if you're soloing on pup, it's still fine to use rancor back. I used it for farming DC mobs in dynamis (That's what Jon uses his pup for) and would tank like 3-4 at a time if I linked. Deactivate healing is just as easy as deactivate nuking. Quick C6's for like full hp are dope. Just sayin'.
Men u gotta stop assuming u know everything. I don't use PUP just for dynamis, wich is what u are implying. It is just one of the things I use it for.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-02-07 16:42:20  
After much thought, this is the TP set i'll use from now on. Think this is the set that works best for me. Thoughts are welcome.
Usu Legs+1 to get you capped haste and Rancorous Mantle (Pantin depending on target) would be improvements based on a quick comparison on spreadsheet.

Haste with that set is around 22% but Abatteur subligar adds more to a TP set than usu+1 legs.

This is what i found more surprising than the other things pointed out. The added 3% haste to a set that isnt capped will do much more than the +3 str/dex 7acc & lolSB without factoring the extra attack gained.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-07 16:44:22  
Carbuncle.Pwnzone said: »
After much thought, this is the TP set i'll use from now on. Think this is the set that works best for me. Thoughts are welcome.
Usu Legs+1 to get you capped haste and Rancorous Mantle (Pantin depending on target) would be improvements based on a quick comparison on spreadsheet.

Haste with that set is around 22% but Abatteur subligar adds more to a TP set than usu+1 legs.

This is what i found more surprising than the other things pointed out. The added 3% haste to a set that isnt capped will do much more than the +3 str/dex 7acc & lolSB without factoring the extra attack gained.
Yep, I factored that wrong. In not good at math.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 16:50:17  
Men u gotta stop assuming u know everything. I don't use PUP just for dynamis, wich is what u are implying. It is just one of the things I use it for.

I didn't say that was all you used it for.... But it's the main thing you said you use it for, other than VW which you should really take 0 dmg 99% of the time in VW.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2013-02-07 16:50:21  
It might help to explain what exactly you plan to use that set for in order to avoid everyone assuming it's for run-of-the-mill content like Dynamis.
[+]
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-07 16:51:06  

I didn't say that was all you used it for.... But it's the main thing you said you use it for, other than VW which you should really take 0 dmg 99% of the time in VW.
Again no, u assumed wrong. When I said is just one of the things I use it for is exactly that, just one of the things I use it for.

Bah, I give up.
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-02-07 16:51:19  
So then what are you aiming at with your gear set? I mean thus far all I know is Dynamis and VW in which case my suggestions and a few others are the way to go.

What exactly are you fighting that is threatening enough that 10% Damage Taken matters but not threatening enough to be hiding behind your puppet, evasion gear, shadows, etc?

Edit: beaten! blast you Pleebo and your distracting avatar...
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 16:52:36  
So then what are you aiming at with your gear set? I mean thus far all I know is Dynamis and VW in which case my suggestions and a few others are the way to go.

What exactly are you fighting that is threatening enough that 10% Damage Taken matters but not threatening enough to be hiding behind your puppet, evasion gear, shadows, etc?

You forgot, "or maxing out haste". It's kind of important considering ab subligar doesn't even offer defensive bonuses really.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 16:53:37  

Again no, u assumed wrong. When I said is just one of the things I use it for is exactly that, just one of the things I use it for.

Bah, I give up.

No, I'm not wrong. You specifically said, dynamis farming, VW and "soloing hard content', but no content that pup can solo is really that "hard" honestly. I love pup to death but it's not gonna solo insane stuff like rdm used to above and beyond all the other jobs. Nor did you even mention what that "hard content" was.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 16:56:35  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
It might help to explain what exactly you plan to use that set for in order to avoid everyone assuming it's for run-of-the-mill content like Dynamis.

Even on max content like Legion, I'd think he'd be wanting/needing to cap haste and dmg output. Hell things in legion by my understanding drop fools quick as hell with DT- gear or not, so that added dmg from rancor wouldn't matter much lol
 Asura.Fondue
サーバ: Asura
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2013-02-07 17:01:57  
using rancor in legion lololololololololololol
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 17:03:29  
Asura.Fondue said: »
using rancor in legion lololololololololololol

lol clearly I don't do legion, but from what others have told me, you're dead either way, without PD, so it's w/e lol. Idk... bad example? Either way maxing out dmg output on fodder is easy and no risk involved, and even on whatever harder content you care to use as an example, having the whm puppet by your side eliminates most risk factors.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-02-07 17:12:44  
using pup in legion lololololololololololol
ftfy

Jokes aside, I did suggest Tenryu for the haste issue since he didn't seem willing to drop pants :x (that's what she said).
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-07 17:25:39  
using pup in legion lololololololololololol
ftfy

Jokes aside, I did suggest Tenryu for the haste issue since he didn't seem willing to drop pants :x (that's what she said).

Even with Tenryu he'd only be at 24, no? Though I guess that's good enough?
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-02-07 19:07:09  
Zagen said:

This is a bit off.

Since he's working on a second mythic, I assume the first one is at 99. That means -50 MA delay.

Pup: 320 base delay at 99, +49 for weapon, -50 for weapon special, -10 for AF3 neck = 309 delay == 155 delay per hand (or 154? don't remember which way it rounds).
Aside: caps melee delay at 66% haste.

155 delay is 4.7 TP per hit. That means base TP given to the mob per hit is 4.7 + 3 = 7.7, not 9.

That would be 13 melee hits to give the mob 100 TP.
12 Subtle Blow reduces TP given per hit to 6.7, or 15 melee hits to give the mob 100 TP.
22 Subtle Blow reduces TP given per hit to 6.0, or 17 melee hits to give the mob 100 TP.

Sehachan said:
Considering SB caps at 50% and on anything where it would change something I'd expect a 20~30 dAgi, you're not far from cap either way

dAgi is a separate multiplier from Subtle Blow, and does not affect where Subtle Blow caps.

Zagen said:
Also a further note on Subtle Blow, it does nothing when a monster's HP is above 25% as TP moves are random once above 100% TP

Not entirely true. Subtle Blow (and dAgi) determines how long it takes to reach 300 TP. A mob's choice to use a TP move between 100 and 300 is random, but it -will- use a TP move when it hits 300. The faster you reach 300 TP, the faster you're guaranteed to have a TP move used against you.

In most Dynamis cases, you'll probably have the mob use 2 TP moves against you if you fail to proc [edit: if proc'ing JA; proc'ing WS may take longer, feed more TP, etc]; maybe 3 with low Subtle Blow, but not too likely. If you proc, the only concern is being short of damage to kill the mob, and letting it un-stagger at low health. To reduce the risk of that, you want to increase your damage output, not increase your Subtle Blow.

On the gear set, I'd definitely go for Usu +1 legs over Abatteur. 3% haste + 6 att vs 3 str + 3 dex + 7 acc, where needing acc is unusual in today's game state, Usu should always win. Abatteur only in an acc-starved setup. Given the rest of your build (+50 acc), hopefully that will be rare.

On the damage taken of the Rancor Mantle: If you're not a Taru, suck it up. At most, for any other race, you'll be put at the survival level of a Taru's HP, and aside from Legion Taru's don't have much trouble there (though it can still be annoying to be killed by a 1k TP move). If you -are- a Taru, caution may be advised, depending on what you're fighting.

Mostly, though, I'd just recommend an emergency defense gear set that swaps in PDT gear and removes things like Rancor, and use that whenever things get shaky.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-02-07 19:28:14  
For the record, Jona used Pup on anything he can, and he does a damn fine job at it.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-08 04:58:33  
Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Zagen said:

This is a bit off.

Since he's working on a second mythic, I assume the first one is at 99. That means -50 MA delay.

Pup: 320 base delay at 99, +49 for weapon, -50 for weapon special, -10 for AF3 neck = 309 delay == 155 delay per hand (or 154? don't remember which way it rounds).
Aside: caps melee delay at 66% haste.

155 delay is 4.7 TP per hit. That means base TP given to the mob per hit is 4.7 + 3 = 7.7, not 9.

That would be 13 melee hits to give the mob 100 TP.
12 Subtle Blow reduces TP given per hit to 6.7, or 15 melee hits to give the mob 100 TP.
22 Subtle Blow reduces TP given per hit to 6.0, or 17 melee hits to give the mob 100 TP.

Sehachan said:
Considering SB caps at 50% and on anything where it would change something I'd expect a 20~30 dAgi, you're not far from cap either way

dAgi is a separate multiplier from Subtle Blow, and does not affect where Subtle Blow caps.

Zagen said:
Also a further note on Subtle Blow, it does nothing when a monster's HP is above 25% as TP moves are random once above 100% TP

Not entirely true. Subtle Blow (and dAgi) determines how long it takes to reach 300 TP. A mob's choice to use a TP move between 100 and 300 is random, but it -will- use a TP move when it hits 300. The faster you reach 300 TP, the faster you're guaranteed to have a TP move used against you.

In most Dynamis cases, you'll probably have the mob use 2 TP moves against you if you fail to proc [edit: if proc'ing JA; proc'ing WS may take longer, feed more TP, etc]; maybe 3 with low Subtle Blow, but not too likely. If you proc, the only concern is being short of damage to kill the mob, and letting it un-stagger at low health. To reduce the risk of that, you want to increase your damage output, not increase your Subtle Blow.

On the gear set, I'd definitely go for Usu +1 legs over Abatteur. 3% haste + 6 att vs 3 str + 3 dex + 7 acc, where needing acc is unusual in today's game state, Usu should always win. Abatteur only in an acc-starved setup. Given the rest of your build (+50 acc), hopefully that will be rare.

On the damage taken of the Rancor Mantle: If you're not a Taru, suck it up. At most, for any other race, you'll be put at the survival level of a Taru's HP, and aside from Legion Taru's don't have much trouble there (though it can still be annoying to be killed by a 1k TP move). If you -are- a Taru, caution may be advised, depending on what you're fighting.

Mostly, though, I'd just recommend an emergency defense gear set that swaps in PDT gear and removes things like Rancor, and use that whenever things get shaky.
Awesome men, thx a lot for clearing me that out. I'll make gear changes and sets accordingly. Hope most ppl were as clear and polite when giving gear advice. I have one question though, on the delay is factored the haste I get from puppet? Think that should make a difference too in the tp given to mob or am I wrong?
On Legion and Einherjar v.2 I don't really consider taking my PUP, usually go RNG or SCH since is more useful and more team-friendly than PUP. Rest of alliance-type events I take my PUP accordingly to set ups and strats. And i'm mithra. ^^
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-02-08 09:06:05  
Awesome men, thx a lot for clearing me that out. I'll make gear changes and sets accordingly. Hope most ppl were as clear and polite when giving gear advice. I have one question though, on the delay is factored the haste I get from puppet? Think that should make a difference too in the tp given to mob or am I wrong?
On Legion and Einherjar v.2 I don't really consider taking my PUP, usually go RNG or SCH since is more useful and more team-friendly than PUP. Rest of alliance-type events I take my PUP accordingly to set ups and strats. And i'm mithra. ^^
Do you realize the suggestion for gear is still the same that I initially pointed out? You know the suggestion that you've been arguing against.
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-08 09:40:32  
Sometimes is not what u say but how u say it. Change gear just cause someone say without questions or proof is just not the way I do things or should be done. A respectful and meaningful post prove to be more efficient and better accepted than a sarcastic and arrogant one, consider it for when in future posts u think u improve something for someone that ask for advice.
Also, he just helped me set two different sets by his explanations when in dynamis, one for before proc and one after proc. And not just dynamis, but setting different sets for other stuff like soloing salvageI and II, doing all tiers of ZNMs for mythics, limbus and Einherjar v1, top tiers of abyssea NMs, etc.
 Bismarck.Zagen
By Bismarck.Zagen 2013-02-08 10:39:02  
I'm sorry I didn't hold your hand enough and expected you to take a second look at your choices based on my mentions of haste and a spreadsheet(Motenten's in case you were wondering) instead of defending your gear with weak arguments. I'll consider that next time I try to help or give a suggestion.

Everything you mentioned as stuff you do doesn't require gear specialization. Though if you were trying to solo something like Apademak on PUP/DRK or PUP/BLM then you'd want a hybrid haste/evasion build.
[+]
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-08 10:54:47  
Also, he just helped me set two different sets by his explanations when in dynamis, one for before proc and one after proc. And not just dynamis, but setting different sets for other stuff like soloing salvageI and II, doing all tiers of ZNMs for mythics, limbus and Einherjar v1, top tiers of abyssea NMs, etc.

on all of that content you basically want to max out your dmg anyways, which were sets we told you about, that which subtle blow isn't make or break (especially in the case of the V mantle). You're ALWAYS going to have a pdt-/mdt-/DT- set anyways, no matter what content you do. DT- sets are macroed out when needed, not full-timed....
 Bismarck.Jonadriel
By Bismarck.Jonadriel 2013-02-08 11:22:07  
Yea guys, u were right, guess u always are if that's what u wanted to hear. I had a wrong understanding of how SB worked and Motenten helped me have a clearer view of it's mechanics without being an ***.
Hope this set an end to my tp gear set discusion and u guys can carry on with your lives.
 Odin.Eikechi
By Odin.Eikechi 2013-02-08 11:23:43  
Yea guys, u were right, guess u always are if that's what u wanted to hear. I had a wrong understanding of how SB worked and Motenten helped me have a clearer view of it's mechanics without being an ***.
Hope this set an end to my tp gear set discusion and u guys can carry on with your lives.

lol really dude? people were giving you improvements and explanations and you basically scoffed at most of it, then 1 person says 1 thing about SB and you're like "oh it's so clear now...", THEN you get a 'tude about it mate? meh. GL to ya though.
[+]
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2013-02-08 11:51:32  
Quote:
I have one question though, on the delay is factored the haste I get from puppet? Think that should make a difference too in the tp given to mob or am I wrong?

Which delay? The 309 delay (155 per hand)? That's the delay that affects your TP gain, affected by Martial Arts, Dual Wield, Blitzer's Roll and Delay -x% (eg: Sword Strap). Any and all 'haste' effects (gear haste, spell, Marches, Sambas, Hasso, Desperate Blows) have no impact on TP gain per hit, either for you or the mob, though it will obviously affect gain per second.

If you mean the mentioned 66% haste to cap delay, that's the sum total of all forms of haste that will still have an impact. If you have 25% gear haste, Haste, Marches and Haste Samba (dnc main) all together for something like 75% haste, 9% of that is going to waste.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 ... 10 11 12