users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Brand new ranger level 1
Brand new ranger level 1
 Bismarck.Reyke
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-08-17 07:39:02  
So I have been thinking about leveling ranger or corsair. What advice would you guys offer to a brand new ranger? Also what do rng mostly sub these days?
 Sylph.Rebo
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2012-08-17 07:57:52  
If you are serious about it, take up woodworking.
 Bahamut.Ragni
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ragni
By Bahamut.Ragni 2012-08-17 08:01:43  
Sylph.Rebo said: »
If you are serious about it, take up woodworking.

And smithing/alchemy/synergy for bullets :)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-08-17 08:14:56  
Bismarck.Reyke said: »
So I have been thinking about leveling ranger or corsair. What advice would you guys offer to a brand new ranger? Also what do rng mostly sub these days?

Mostly sub WAR or sub SAM. Some sub BLM or BLU or RDM for WF spam.
 Bismarck.Reyke
user: reyke
By Bismarck.Reyke 2012-08-17 13:54:30  
Wildfire is currently the best ranged WS isn't it? Is it better in the hands of a cor or rng? Im kinda considering cor cus bard is my first love but idk.
 Bismarck.Phetty
user: Phetty
By Bismarck.Phetty 2012-08-17 14:05:54  
Wildfire is better in the hands of a corsair. Rng has Last Stand though which is the strongest ranged ws. If you want low hate generating ws make relic gun over emp.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-08-17 20:42:28  
I expected to see a screenshot of a lv1 RNG with Annihilator in their invi
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-08-17 20:43:24  
Bismarck.Reyke said: »
Wildfire is currently the best ranged WS isn't it? Is it better in the hands of a cor or rng? Im kinda considering cor cus bard is my first love but idk.

It's the strongest magical WS, but whether it's stronger than physical WS or not is depending on the NM....on mobs like Bismarck or B.rex, you will see WF do higher WS than physical WS, on mobs like Qilin or Fjalar, you will see physical WS beats WF. Ideally you'd want both WF access and one strong Physical WS for RNG,such as JR or last stand. And maybe one low enmity WS(relic) when enmity is an issue.

RNG actually has access to better WF gears, such as Tjukurrpa Mantle, AF3+2 feet, Seiryu's Kote. RNG also has higher innate AGI. In an deal WF build for both jobs, RNG should pop higher number. COR has fireshot dmg boost+20%, but in event like VW when 1000 ppl spamming WS and magic, sometimes COR won't get the benefit of fireshot dmg boost. When both COR and RNG spamming WF on same NM, COR won't necessary do higher WS dmg than a RNG.

Personally I think RNG has higher gear requirement though, since you need multiple relic/empy to handle different situation, and quite possibly KC even. While COR just need 1 empy and get the job done.
 Fenrir.Eneas
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Eneas
By Fenrir.Eneas 2012-08-17 21:06:12  
lvl WW while LFP.
Ghelsba is a good start to log and crafts lumbers and ammo. Just make sure to bring a lot of wind/earth crystals.
 Bismarck.Kuroganashi
By Bismarck.Kuroganashi 2012-08-20 18:26:41  
do alchemy / WW / Smithing / Goldsmithing (covers Bullets / Arrows)

Alch main > smith / Goldsmith sub = Bulletts

also Alch makes Arrowheads / Boltheads XD
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [226 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2013-04-04 02:33:59  
Me and my friend are starting to level COR & RNG and I want to make sure we're getting our gear priorities right.

Typically, I can get a melee DD right (Haste/STP > Acc > Attack > STR/DEX), but for Ranged Attacks - I can only guess!

I'm assuming:

Preshot: Rapid Shot gear
Midshot: Snapshot+ > Racc > RAtt > STR/AGI

I know there's not many options before 30 for gear (and even then, it's pretty limited), but I'm one of those meticulous planners and like knowing things're sorted in advance. Especially with the faster levelling pace, it would be nice to be able to pick up gear in advance and level into it.

So, in all, how far off was I with my order of priorities?
 Ragnarok.Phettyx
user: Phetty
By Ragnarok.Phettyx 2013-04-04 02:40:51  
Preshot you want snapshot/rapid shot then switch into stp/racc/ratt/etc.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-04-04 07:59:02  
Preshot gear for Snapshot. Rapid shot can actually mess up your YP gain if it procs and you don't have time to swap into your TP build.

TP - once you are leveled up, get the Store TP gear needed to balance out your x-hit for which ever weapon you are using. After that stack Ranged Attack and STR gear. Check the annihilator-rng-tp-sets-what-and-why/ thread. It is targeted mostly at relic gun stuff, but it can cover a lot of questions, gear-wise, that you may have.

For merits, stage one merits on RNG are meh. Stage 2, most people seem to go 5/5 on Snapshot and Recycle. Recycle due to using Af2+2 head with augment in your TP build. It give 1 TP per merit whenever recycle procs. With merits, the AF 2+2 head, and Libiccio Mantle, you should get over a 50% recycle rate.
 Asura.Hoshiku
サーバ: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2013-04-04 13:53:25  
Try power search for snapshot and you'll see your options. The only ones not listed are augmented khepri feet, augmented blood gloves, and augmented abyssea trophy body. And to echo everyone else, yes snapshot for preshot and then hitbuild/ratk/str for the shot.