users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Phoenix » 100,000,000g Bounty
100,000,000g Bounty
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 76 77 78
 Carbuncle.Zirk
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 02:44:24  
When it comes to 1v1 PvP DRK, I'm pretty sure Urteil's gear selection/experience/skill is unmatched.

The only way I see to beat him, and what my strategy revolves around, is the sad thing about 1v1 PvP in that some jobs just outclass other jobs to the point where even if the weaker job has better gear or experience or skill, the job difference is too much to overcome. I hope to take the PvE environment out of the equation as much as possible since Urteil clearly has me beat there, I don't have any extensive 1v1 PvP gear, or really any recent endgame gear for my planned job (not even any empyrean+1 gear).

I hope to win just by selecting a job that outclasses DRK to the point where his gear and experience can't bridge the gap against me. I have zero play testing with my ideas, and chances are it's not going to pan out, but if I do some testing and think I still have a shot at winning, I will probably server transfer one of my characters to Phoenix, it will at least be cool to see Urteil live in action.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-11 02:46:20  
Bahamut.Eorphere said: »
Not that it can necessarily happen (unless maybe we all spam SE with requests), but imo, the most fair way in terms of gear would be to have both parties pick from every available option. Otherwise, how else could we know in those close fights?

Don't do that. Some stupid people from 2004 have already been doing that, it sucks and it's lame.
 Phoenix.Urteil
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Urteil89
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 02:47:39  
It is true that like life, true equality is not going to exist in here either.

However when I finally give in and make that claim, when I really feel that I cannot overcome what I am fighting.

I want to see the mechanical reason and know that my execution was perfect that it is this stupid game holding me back, not me.

I want to test it.
And test it.
And know.

Not think.
Not assume.
Not excuse.

How neat would it be to be truly justified to say that, rather than being butthurt.

I want the day when I say "I cannot kill this." To be true.
Not a sorry excuse for what I should have done and could have done.
[+]
 Bahamut.Eorphere
サーバ: Bahamut
user: eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 02:51:16  
Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I'm only a Dark Knight.
I'd show you my gear set and tell you to get to work.

I'm interested in going up, you should be too.

Oh, I am confident I couldn't beat you even if I had better gear. That isn't my point. And personally I know nothing about DRK. I guess I was just bringing up some discussion about what is fair. You hide nothing in your offer. Anyone taking you up on it knows what they are getting into. There is nothing unfair about that.

I am just wondering if PvP can really get going if SE would make it such that you can enter, choose the level, select any gear for that level, and have at it.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 02:52:18  
I'd hate it.

I want my character unmolested and my power and victories solely because of my effort to master the game.
[+]
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 02:53:56  
I'd hate it.

I want my character unmolested and my power and victories solely because of my effort to master the game.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 02:54:31  
But you can choose the exact specs that your character has
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:00:21  
I guess that isn't necessarily true. I guess if the level is chosen under 99 then you couldn't.

Then let's assume you only partake in 99 battles. Your character will not be touched. You can choose to be exactly how you are now. Your opponent, however, can have equal gear. That isn't okay with you?
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 03:01:27  
Sure it is.

I'm gearing to fight Aegis99/Burtgang99.
Not Adamas/Shikargar.

But that isn't how this game works.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:05:14  
Sure it is.

Not Adamas/Shikargar.

That is what I thought. Then why would you be opposed to a PvP where you can choose your gear? Ultimately I think this can become something huge. But when you limit the contenders to what they have/are able to obtain, you also limit the participants.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:08:55  
Hence the reason that the level 60 cap has been mentioned.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 03:10:45  
PvE doesn't work that way, neither should anything else.
That isn't PvP that is consistent with the game world or systems.

We don't say "Well yea I wish I could just INSTANTLY get all this legion gear, you know what, just let me pick a relic mythic, when I log in."
It cheapens it and makes it separate.

If there was a game called:
FFXI Battle Online, sure.

But that isn't relevant to this online game, the PvP needs to be consistent with the rest of the world.
If you want it, put in the time, its an MMORPG.

I'm quite fine with limiting lazy people out of the equation, this entitlement is what ruins the holistic nature of the virtual universe.
 Phoenix.Cliamain
user: Mondoggie
By Phoenix.Cliamain 2012-10-11 03:10:55  
Sure it is.

Not Adamas/Shikargar.

That is what I thought. Then why would you be opposed to a PvP where you can choose your gear? Ultimately I think this can become something huge. But when you limit the contenders to what they have/are able to obtain, you also limit the participants.

He went out to get his gear. Why shouldn't the person that is taking him on/learn go out and get their own. If it were me i'd have a lot more pride if i fought him with something i earned and worked hard to get. Wouldn't be any fun if the game just said here, take it and fight.
[+]
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:22:59  
Look, there are so many factors working against a real PvP scene. Yes, some people just don't want to lose. That has been mentioned so many times. The other major factor I have come to realize is gear. People who think they are good but don't have/can't get the gear won't even consider approaching you.

That isn't true of everyone. But, come on... your thread has gotten so much buzz. Yet how many people have taken you up on your offer?

You clearly are the staple of FFXI PvP. From your earlier posts you said that one of your motives was to bring people to PvP.

My guess is that right now, you are the best. But if this thing can take off, and people start taking the time to learn the details of it, you will be topped. But like early sports figures whose records are being demolished today, they will always be remembered.

If enough people want it, SE will respond. I won't lie, I am not so sure there are... and even though I probably wouldn't actually participate, I would love to watch it. I am sure I am not alone in this.

Let's shoot for SE to allow PvP across servers, and more tournaments. I don't know, maybe people want it to be a small intimate thing. If so, then ok.

That is my bit, disregard it if you don't care.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:23:46  
Phoenix.Cliamain said: »
Sure it is.

Not Adamas/Shikargar.

He went out to get his gear. Why shouldn't the person that is taking him on/learn go out and get their own. If it were me i'd have a lot more pride if i fought him with something i earned and worked hard to get. Wouldn't be any fun if the game just said here, take it and fight.

But if he can just take it and beat him, what does that say?
And again, him having what you have doesn't take it away from you.
 Valefor.Sapphire
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-10-11 03:27:23  
Questions for Urtell
1) Do you play on ps2, xbox or pc?

2) If you play on pc, do you use spellcast or a mod that prevents your opponent from blinking when they gearswap, or a mod that allows you to swap+equip gear stored in a satchel? I dont play with any of these mods, im curious if you do.

From glancing this thread it sounds like you have a dizzying amount of situational gear at your disposal, im just curious how you manage that with 80 inventory.
I love being a spellcasting DRK so I have alot of odd gear pieces like macc/mdb scythes and other situational pieces and have to devote my satchel space to DRK and manually swap in some things (no mods)

3) Do you allow rematches as long as someone continues to have the entry fee item? I kinda fancy the idea of learning pvp the fast+painful way standing off against you (Sometimes the best teacher is harsh defeat) provided your availability+rematch options are agreeable.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 03:28:29  
Items that have usable enchantments can't be used right?
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 03:29:55  
If people want to topple the best in PvP, I suggest they get to work.

Go get the gear, just like the body builder works out, and the martial artist trains. Then refine your execution.

Why does PvP get treated special with this idea of entitlement?
Its stupid, and it should not.

If you want to be the dark iron clad badass wielding a flaming sword then go make some friends, conquer the content, own a castle and get the resources to match your "skill" that will "topple" me.

If they just give gear away that destroys and goes against every other system in the game, separates the systems and makes them not relevant to each other.

You can do cross server fights, arenas etc, and not give people who feel entitled the things they don't deserve.

They just don't want it bad enough. Go get the same thing had and show him how its really used, and he'll know you got it the same way he did, and it will drive in the point all the harder.

The strength this game possess is that believe it or not EVERY other system has aspects that feed into PvP, making people who want to be good at PvP do them. If they then in turn made PvP victories or rewards that fueled other content, you would achieve a synergism that would really keep people involved.

This synergy is a rare strength, and needs to be protected.
 Phoenix.Shiomi
user: Shiomi
By Phoenix.Shiomi 2012-10-11 03:30:45  
Valefor.Sapphire said: »
Questions for Urtell

2) If you play on pc, do you use spellcast or a mod that prevents your opponent from blinking when they gearswap, or a mod that allows you to swap+equip gear stored in a satchel? I dont play with any of these mods, im curious if you do.

From glancing this thread it sounds like you have a dizzying amount of situational gear at your disposal, im just curious how you manage that with 80 inventory.
I love being a spellcasting DRK so I have alot of odd gear pieces like macc/mdb scythes and other situational pieces and have to devote my satchel space to DRK and manually swap in some things (no mods)

3) Do you allow rematches as long as someone continues to have the entry fee item? I kinda fancy the idea of learning pvp the fast+painful way standing off against you (Sometimes the best teacher is harsh defeat) provided your availability+rematch options are agreeable.

... Are you being for real?
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 03:33:09  
Carbuncle.Zirk said: »
Items that have usable enchantments can't be used right?

That's a consumable, so yes.
 Carbuncle.Evviva
By Carbuncle.Evviva 2012-10-11 03:34:17  
Sure it is. I'm gearing to fight Aegis99/Burtgang99. Not Adamas/Shikargar. But that isn't how this game works.

My hats off to you sir. You seem to understand what many may not.
It's something huge already, something that has been huge for a very long time.. albeit very much so hidden.

But I digress, as I previously mentioned in this thread, variety is the spice of life and as such 1v1, team, 99, 60 what have you, all have a place in the wide spectrum of the game.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 03:34:32  
Questions for Urtell

PC

Not in Ballista I want to see gear swaps, not sure one exists.

You'll get one shot at the huge reward, but I don't mind doing lesser bets with you whenever I have free time while you are on the server.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 03:34:33  
@Shiomi This thread is most viewed on FFXIAH, so of course people are going to come in and don't know how PvP works, don't need to leave comments like that.

In PvP any gear swap results in a 10 second penalty where you are basically stunned for the duration.
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:34:33  

Go get the gear, just like the body builder works out, and the martial artist trains. Then refine your execution.

If you want to be the dark iron clad badass wielding a flaming sword then go make some friends, conquer the content, own a castle and get the resources to match your "skill" that will "topple" me.

If they just give gear away that destroys and goes against every other system in the game, separates the systems and makes them not relevant to each other.

You can do cross server fights, arenas etc, and not give people who feel entitled the things they don't deserve.

They just don't want it bad enough. Go get the same thing had and show him how its really used, and he'll know you got it the same way he did, and it will drive in the point all the harder.

I wish it were the same. You used the body builder example. Let me offer you several relevant differences:

1. Generally that is his RL job.
2. He cannot buy an account to give him that body.
3. He cannot pay 1M gil to get that extra piece of gear from a merc.

and really, most importantly:
4. Skill: compare the skill of a video game player with variables such as gear, etc. to the skill of a body builder
 Valefor.Sapphire
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Sapphire 2012-10-11 03:34:34  
Forgive my ingorance of ballista, since noone ever does it on my server. Are non visible gear swaps not allowed? That would sort of ruin any strategy regarding weapon changing.
My post is completely serious, sorry if that comes as a shock for whatever reason. Aside from mythic building im rather bored with ffxi and pvp sounds like an interesting diversion
 Bahamut.Eorphere
By Bahamut.Eorphere 2012-10-11 03:35:19  
I am not trying to belittle your work at all... I admire it to a very high degree. But you have to understand how different it is.
 Phoenix.Urteil
By Phoenix.Urteil 2012-10-11 03:36:38  

I wish it were the same. You used the body builder example. Let me offer you several relevant differences:

1. Generally that is his RL job.
2. He cannot buy an account to give him that body.
3. He cannot pay 1M gil to get that extra piece of gear from a merc.

and really, most importantly:
4. Skill: compare the skill of a video game player with variables such as gear, etc. to the skill of a body builder

Its something he does and wants to be passionate at, and works to be good at it, it is not handed to him.
Buying the account doesn't matter because you could work for the account. I didn't buy mine!
If I spend 3 hours to make gil to buy an item from somebody there's really no difference at all.

You want to give a magic button that gives you everything, then say that people can't get merc'd gear from others? Which is legitmatley going out, killing the enemy?

I didn't farm EVERY alexandrite, I certainly bought them from people on my server with the gil I made which is equivalent to merc'ing I just didn't have to zone/be in party.

If you had to zone/party in some other theoretical system for alexandrites RAEX I would have used my gil to buy them all the time from others regardless.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 03:38:27  
Forgive my ingorance of ballista, since noone ever does it on my server. Are non visible gear swaps not allowed? That would sort of ruin any strategy regarding weapon changing.
My post is completely serious, sorry if that comes as a shock for whatever reason. Aside from mythic building im rather bored with ffxi and pvp sounds like an interesting diversion

Only the ammo slot can be changed without penalty.
 Phoenix.Cliamain
user: Mondoggie
By Phoenix.Cliamain 2012-10-11 03:38:56  
Phoenix.Cliamain said: »
Sure it is.

Not Adamas/Shikargar.

But if he can just take it and beat him, what does that say?
And again, him having what you have doesn't take it away from you.

But then again you didn't win cause you worked hard to obtain something. You won cause the makers of the game got to hold your hand and give you what he had to bust his *** for.
 Carbuncle.Zirk
By Carbuncle.Zirk 2012-10-11 03:40:30  
It is still viable to work gear swaps into a 1v1 strategy however, if you are slept or petrified for 30-45 seconds, could change gear in there with little draw back.
First Page 2 3 ... 14 15 16 ... 76 77 78