users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Ranger & endgame events
Ranger & endgame events
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-10-18 08:37:05  
ok so just to start off i dont own annihilator....yet. I couldnt find a good topic to ask this in so figured why not make one that will handle most situations that rng should be used in.

Tried my first hall of mul yesterday & was a little shocked at the dmg I was dealing. First 2 tries i used hydra kofte and the cor rolls rng pt was getting were tact+chaos so my acc was probably my main killer those times. I really think our pt would be better off with hunters+chaos & heavy attack food *like i expected* but what do other groups use? I had to switch to pot-au-fu's for later attempts.

These are the sets i use outside of legion, id like advice for what i should change for high level legion & changes to improve my sets already. I use 95 Gandiva & 90 Armageddon atm, Anni will be at stage 3 after i get me a smither.

TP

Jishnu's

Last Stand

Any useful tips/info is much appreciated.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-10-18 09:27:59  
While Armageddon will outpreform Gandiva pretty much anywhere anyway, it will esspecially beat Gandiva in Legion due to mobs critical evasion traits (and critical damage - triats too, supposedly)

For Last Stand
-Sylvan Earring
-TP Bonus Moonshade

Your TP set in legion, atleast where Mul is concerned, will need a good amount of ranged accuracy, I have a set made on my profile for such situation.

And yes, Hunter's Roll+Choas+RCB.
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-10-18 14:37:08  
Yeah i remember breaking 4k on a non-harpy but ws numbers were pretty random, thank you for clearing that up. Im in the process of getting wotg finished, just have to stop procrastinating.

I like to use my relic +2 beret but i forgot how useless focusing on x-hit builds are with brava. I could def drop that & make a few other adjustmets based on that. Based on on your hall mul set, a good chunk of racc is required, even with anni's stats. Id probably have to sacrifice more rattk for my armageddon tp set, /sigh.

I might just have to drop everything & focus on finishing my anni. I could make up for most of the racc needed in gear, but the gun's stats are simply awesome.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2012-10-18 15:10:06  
I'm working on my annihilator as well, 15/70 on last stage. I do have a question about the comments in your gearsets, Kenrusai. You list one as having Aggressor up, but last I read, the ranged accuracy trait was removed from the trait, unless you dump merits into it. Is that still the case?
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2012-10-18 15:16:39  
It definitely doesn't affect ranged accuracy
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Maddog
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-10-18 15:21:03  
Any tips on convincing a group rng is viable in Mul? So far I only go rng to odin II. They make me war for Mul, for which I only have a 90 ukon and that doesn't perform like I think it should. Once I have ragnarok I'd probably use that but Anni sounds better for the time being, or does Anni has its merits vs. rag? I would think it would vs. iron giant and naraka, have yet to reach gallu/rex but we're getting there.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-10-18 15:40:20  
Cerberus.Maeldiar said: »
Any tips on convincing a group rng is viable in Mul? So far I only go rng to odin II. They make me war for Mul, for which I only have a 90 ukon and that doesn't perform like I think it should. Once I have ragnarok I'd probably use that but Anni sounds better for the time being, or does Anni has its merits vs. rag? I would think it would vs. iron giant and naraka, have yet to reach gallu/rex but we're getting there.

I don't see how ragnarok would be able to beat annihilator. It's never happened to me anyway, even with embrava + capped hasted situations. As long as you have the appropriate rolls/songs, RNG will always be the most powerful DD vs high level content. The only place RNG falters is against lower level content (where I prefer BLU).

In terms of accuracy issues, you should be fine with annihilator (rng acc +40). For mobs with increased evasion, simply use sharpshot beforehand and freeze the timer on the ???. Or, you can always ask the BRD for prelude. Our group usually has minx3 madx1. Just have the BRD do madx1 first then pianissimo over it (after the AoE update anyway).
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-18 15:52:38  
Wait, what setup are you using that you have Mad at all?

We went with:
Rag, Ryuno, Bravura, BRD, COR, WHM
SCH x3, PLD, THF, SMN
Anni, Anni, Yoichi, BRD, COR, WHM (Min x2, Chaos, Hunter's)

Melee DD did ~17-20%, Rangers did ~10-13%. Hunter's wore against Wave 2 Mantis and killed the hit rate of two of the Rangers until it was put back up.
* Do we need to adjust our buffs?
* What WS do you use? (Last Stand?)
* What food do you use? (Pot-au-feu?)
* What sub do you use? (WAR?)
* Do you melee the monster? (I assume not?)
** Related: Are you standing in AoE range?
* After the Pia patch, do you think something like SAM/DRK Rolls and Min/Prelude would be better than Hunter's/Chaos?
 Asura.Kese
サーバ: Asura
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2012-10-18 16:43:46  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Wait, what setup are you using that you have Mad at all?

We went with:
Rag, Ryuno, Bravura, BRD, COR, WHM
SCH x3, PLD, THF, SMN
Anni, Anni, Yoichi, BRD, COR, WHM (Min x2, Chaos, Hunter's)

Melee DD did ~17-20%, Rangers did ~10-13%. Hunter's wore against Wave 2 Mantis and killed the hit rate of two of the Rangers until it was put back up.
* What WS do you use? (Last Stand?)
* What food do you use? (Pot-au-feu?)
* What sub do you use? (WAR?)
* Do you melee the monster? (I assume not?)
** Related: Are you standing in AoE range?
* After the Pia patch, do you think something like SAM/DRK Rolls and Min/Prelude would be better than Hunter's/Chaos?

do you swap your cor or do you just have 2 roll/party?
we normally have cors rotating fulltime i.e cor1 (chaos/tact dd party) (hunter/courser rng party) cor2 (chaos/tact rng party) (hunter/fighter dd party) you might also want to consider bringing another dd in the spot of the 2nd brd, we normally minx3/mad wave 1, and minx2/madx2 wave 2 and up, but that also depends on if you have daur brd.

* What WS do you use? (Last Stand?) im not entirely sure on this but i think our rng mostly coro/namas spam
* What food do you use? (Pot-au-feu?) red curry bun
* What sub do you use? (WAR?) /war
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2012-10-18 17:12:03  
@Snprphnx yeah agressor does nothing for RNG, at one point I thought it did and forgot I still had agressor mentioned on my sets.

@Helel for Mul, you're going to need Racc Gear, especially if you want to use RCB.

@Maeldiar RNG while not putting out as much damage as Ragnaroks, is good for:

-Bounty Shot so don't bring a lolTHF
-low maintainence DD - Ranger puts out respectable damage while not putting alot of pressure on your mages, though if you're just gonna PD the majority of Mul, might aswell just bring all-out DD.

-Your Ranger should most definately out damage your 90 Ukon in Mul.

@Byrth
Our RNGs are about 3-4% behind 99 Ragnarok DDs
Buffs: (gjaller99) Minuet x2 (Duarb) Minuet x1 Scherzo
Chaos+Hunters Roll
Decent Ranged accuracy build+RCB.

As for WS, Last Stand if all DDs are up.
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2012-10-18 19:03:11  
Safe distance to shoot from in mul?
 Asura.Kese
サーバ: Asura
user: buhusky34
By Asura.Kese 2012-10-18 19:31:01  
yeah, unless you have a relic proc on barrage at start of engage mob(which no smart rng would do anyway), noway you should pull hate/get hit by aoe.
 Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget
By Quetzalcoatl.Wakmidget 2012-10-18 21:51:39  
Or you could make a Yoichinoyumi and never have to worry about Ranged Accuracy ever again.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [40 days between previous and next post]
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2012-11-27 20:14:52  
Had 2 questions

A. In Mul, obviously Rancor collar for TP is out of the question. I usually use Sylvan neck but is there a better option?

B. Is Rancor collar still the best TP neck piece outside Mul?

Edit: necro D:
By Aeyela 2012-11-27 20:48:02  
Carbuncle.Pwnzone said: »
Had 2 questions

A. In Mul, obviously Rancor collar for TP is out of the question. I usually use Sylvan neck but is there a better option?

B. Is Rancor collar still the best TP neck piece outside Mul?

Edit: necro D:

A. RNG FTW

B. RNG FTW

And now somebody who's done legion can answer your questions directly. Enjoy your free bump. :)
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [119 days between previous and next post]
 Cerberus.Weegie
user: Weegie
By Cerberus.Weegie 2013-03-26 19:47:56  
Necro since it applies to Legion.

I'm looking at -PDT type sets for my RNG. The linkshell has indicated that they would like me to come RNG (99 Anni) to Legion at this time, and I have thus far ignored the need for a -PDT set on RNG. Clearly I need to fix this.

So far looking at Legion it doesnt look like counting on Perfect Defense is going to carry us very far with the looming SCH & SMN nerf. I predict the need for a lot of melees to spend a lot of time in -dt, -pdt, -mdt gear while in the TP phase.

So Dux+1 gear, twilight neck, Dark rings, etc for RNG. Is there a really strong arguement for not using Terra's Staff? The intial downsides I see is the loss of Fencer and maybe Berserk.

Can't make up for the crit loss from fencer, but how much of a role does that play in Legion (seems they resist crits)? I know RNG crit isn't as nice as melee crit, but it's still nice.

If we sub SAM, Berserk is a loss, but you need to be careful how much you use it in legion anyway if you don't want to die to TP moves. Hasso adds STR, that is about the only benefit it gives, but most of us know the other benefits /SAM offer. Seigan could prove useful as well if you end up drawing hate. So for /SAM we usually use Vulcan's or Mekki, so there is a small STR loss, and maybe some STP.

I get the sacrifies we usually make doing SAM over WAR. WAR for VW is really awesome. Great for Qilin. However there are a bazillion temps in voidwatch, and it doesn't play anything like Legion. At this point, I'm more worried about survivablitiy. It would only take 1-3 extra rounds of attacks from not being dead to make up for the loss of STR/R.Att on weapon. A 2x dead RNG is useless. Taking that -20% fulltime, regardless of whether or not you got your -pdt set on fast enough, could certainly help that.

The TP bonus on WAR for Fencer does not, to my knowledge, add to your aftermath. It adds a small bonus to your damage, but its not a huge factor in and of itself. I know other jobs have to make some huge gear changes for Acc alone, let alone -pdt sets they are blinking into the whole fight. The loss of Fencer and 10 STR seems a really small sacrifice.

Laying aside the meritpo-bird-party/VoidWatch/Abyssea mind-set of who parsed highest, and getting back to the "lets win since this is hard" idea. Talking specifically about Legion (dunno how this will apply to new content), how would Terra's staff work as a weapon?
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2013-03-26 20:05:02  
As for myself, I use terra's staff in my pdt because losing 3~ shots worth of tp is better than dying. Also with the new enmity changes (and perhaps before), items with "boosts enmity loss when taking damage" may be viable to shed more hate if you happen to pull it.

http://www.ffxiah.com/search/item?&description=boosts%20enmity#adv
 Cerberus.Weegie
By Cerberus.Weegie 2013-03-26 20:15:17  
If you guys are doing runs Maeldair, shoot me a message. I'd love to help just to be able to test it. LS is still working out how to do it.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-03-26 20:36:47  
Cerberus.Weegie said: »
Necro since it applies to Legion.

I'm looking at -PDT type sets for my RNG. The linkshell has indicated that they would like me to come RNG (99 Anni) to Legion at this time, and I have thus far ignored the need for a -PDT set on RNG. Clearly I need to fix this.

So far looking at Legion it doesnt look like counting on Perfect Defense is going to carry us very far with the looming SCH & SMN nerf. I predict the need for a lot of melees to spend a lot of time in -dt, -pdt, -mdt gear while in the TP phase.

So Dux+1 gear, twilight neck, Dark rings, etc for RNG. Is there a really strong arguement for not using Terra's Staff? The intial downsides I see is the loss of Fencer and maybe Berserk.

Can't make up for the crit loss from fencer, but how much of a role does that play in Legion (seems they resist crits)? I know RNG crit isn't as nice as melee crit, but it's still nice.

If we sub SAM, Berserk is a loss, but you need to be careful how much you use it in legion anyway if you don't want to die to TP moves. Hasso adds STR, that is about the only benefit it gives, but most of us know the other benefits /SAM offer. Seigan could prove useful as well if you end up drawing hate. So for /SAM we usually use Vulcan's or Mekki, so there is a small STR loss, and maybe some STP.

I get the sacrifies we usually make doing SAM over WAR. WAR for VW is really awesome. Great for Qilin. However there are a bazillion temps in voidwatch, and it doesn't play anything like Legion. At this point, I'm more worried about survivablitiy. It would only take 1-3 extra rounds of attacks from not being dead to make up for the loss of STR/R.Att on weapon. A 2x dead RNG is useless. Taking that -20% fulltime, regardless of whether or not you got your -pdt set on fast enough, could certainly help that.

The TP bonus on WAR for Fencer does not, to my knowledge, add to your aftermath. It adds a small bonus to your damage, but its not a huge factor in and of itself. I know other jobs have to make some huge gear changes for Acc alone, let alone -pdt sets they are blinking into the whole fight. The loss of Fencer and 10 STR seems a really small sacrifice.

Laying aside the meritpo-bird-party/VoidWatch/Abyssea mind-set of who parsed highest, and getting back to the "lets win since this is hard" idea. Talking specifically about Legion (dunno how this will apply to new content), how would Terra's staff work as a weapon?

Pretty much every TP move should be stunned, if we're talking about Mul, so the only damage you need to worry about is from regular attacks, which should be easily avoided by standing ~10' from the mob. The mobs should die fast enough so you won't have to worry about hate, especially if you're using coronach, so I don't really see the point in gearing too drastically for -PDT. That said, I always use dux gear + dark rings + twilight etc. for my idle set, but you shouldn't need to use a terra staff, nor should you ever worry about popping berserk. Technically, if everyone is doing their jobs, you shouldn't take a single point of physical damage.
[+]
 Cerberus.Maeldiar
By Cerberus.Maeldiar 2013-03-26 21:05:12  
Unfortunately sometimes it's hard to get your entire alliance to be on their A game, but of course that is what is required for Mul in the first place.
 Cerberus.Weegie
By Cerberus.Weegie 2013-03-26 22:53:39  
To be blunt, our group is far too "new" to have the kinks worked out. Every move should be stunned, but at this point, I'm not sure what BLM's and SCH we have, let alone how good they are. There is certainly going to be a learning curve. We have heavily recruited, and have a lot of fresh faces that have not been taught how do do older endgame stuff. We can work it out, and maybe in the short term I might have to gear different than long term.

That being said, unless you have amazing mages (which to be honest are in short supply) TP moves WILL be getting through. I can certainly stand beyond 10' Is that the max range of all stuff? If so, then indeed there would be no reason for staff. I highly doubt it.

Bismarck.Helel said: »
Technically, if everyone is doing their jobs, you shouldn't take a single point of physical damage.

I'm not the sort of person that typically plans for everything to go perfect. I'd rather be able to plan for mistakes and have the capacity to recover. But I'll admit, I cannot remember the amount of damage we are taking anyway. It would depend if you could prevent being 1-shotted or not I guess. RNG has the luxury of running away if hurt.

And aside from rings, does RNG have access to any signifigant -mdt?