users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drk tanking
Drk tanking
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-31 07:25:20  
I dont think its 1/3 as ive had catas heal me up for 1/2 of the cata damage that was in dyna beau on the fomors. I think amount drained is based on your int vs mobs int.
 Asura.Jem
サーバ: Asura
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2012-10-31 07:28:35  
Urteil is talking specifically about PvP there.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-31 07:35:47  
Ah never PvP with my apoc i thought it would have been the same in there.
 Asura.Fondue
user: Caliber
By Asura.Fondue 2012-10-31 07:52:01  
Aby with 3hp atmas doing catas naked after clicking off hp buff would probably be a good way to tell?
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-31 08:05:44  
Odin.Creaucent said: »
I think amount drained is based on your int vs mobs int.

Based on what?
 Sylph.Binckry
サーバ: Sylph
user: Binckly
By Sylph.Binckry 2012-10-31 08:09:02  
Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I'm pretty sure Catastrophe goes through blink, I'll test this soon.
Unless it's different from the Animated Scythe, then it should go through blink/shadows. I trio'd the scythe before and group was all ready /nin to dodge Cata, that wasn't a very bright run (/.\)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 08:10:06  
MND affects silence rate on guillotine, therefore int = drain on cata
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
user: Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-10-31 08:22:01  
what about just fighting things we know the raw stats on? greater colibri come to mind but im not sure they could take a full blow head on even nakid... kirin is a good option, if i remember right it had 110 int

if its anything like the spell its just random in general lol

something about this reminds me of that tootsie pop commercial...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-31 08:24:18  
Drain is a magic effect which is your int vs mobs int. Same way slience is white magic and is effected by mnd. I did think that every magic effect on a ws had a mod that effected proc rate or potency.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-31 08:25:34  
Drain spell potency is determined by Dark Magic skill:
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Drain/Aspir_Spell

Accuracy of the Drain Spell is affected by INT. I've never heard of Cata being obviously "resisted" against non-undead though.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-31 08:27:19  
Drain is a magic effect which is your int vs mobs int. Same way slience is white magic and is effected by mnd. I did think that every magic effect on a ws had a mod that effected proc rate or potency.

So speculated?

Some of my best drains have been on high lvl mobs like Morta, I'm sure my Elvaan INT is much lower then Mortas. Just saying. Speculating is how most noobs in FFXI end up in terrible gear sets.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-10-31 08:28:39  
it was determined years ago int has no effect on drain (spell), since the rules on cata drain seem the same id guess so are the effects of int other than the free macc, not raw boost to the drain itself

or we could all go back a few years and break out the mab pieces!
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2012-10-31 08:36:42  
Sylph.Binckry said: »
Phoenix.Urteil said: »
I'm pretty sure Catastrophe goes through blink, I'll test this soon.
Unless it's different from the Animated Scythe, then it should go through blink/shadows. I trio'd the scythe before and group was all ready /nin to dodge Cata, that wasn't a very bright run (/.\)

It definitely goes through Utsusemi but Blink definitely absorbs it in normal circumstances (in PvP I don't know). Blink and Utsusemi are not the same thing.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 08:40:48  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
Drain spell potency is determined by Dark Magic skill: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Drain/Aspir_Spell Accuracy of the Drain Spell is affected by INT. I've never heard of Cata being obviously "resisted" against non-undead though.

The rate is noticeably inconsistant though. I've had whiff swing w/ zanshin proc heal like a cure 5 and then 4-5k grand-slams not top me off when fighting a mob at 100%.

I have noticed that valkyries/odin stereotypically give low-end return (dark based resist?) even when doing V1.
I also have COMPLETELY EYEBALLED the assumption that arcana mobs almost exclusively top me off on a non-miss.

The only constants I seem to notice is that 300 tp cata is -300 accuracy and if you're in red hp or desperately need cata to land it'll miss.
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2012-10-31 08:43:37  
Everyone knows that Cata has a secret mod where its acc is proportional to HP %!
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-31 08:54:17  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
Drain spell potency is determined by Dark Magic skill: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Drain/Aspir_Spell Accuracy of the Drain Spell is affected by INT. I've never heard of Cata being obviously "resisted" against non-undead though.

I've had whiff swing w/ zanshin proc heal like a cure 5

???
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-31 09:42:03  
Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »
it was determined years ago int has no effect on drain (spell), since the rules on cata drain seem the same id guess so are the effects of int other than the free macc, not raw boost to the drain itself

From what people have said in here theres been no proper testing done on catas drain effect up until recently cata was the only ws to actually do this. But yes taint it was speculation but why else would cata have an int mod instead of just agi and why wouldnt the int effect the drain? This could be the difference of getting 30% of the damage compared to 70% it cant just be random.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-31 09:47:23  
Ragnarok.Zeromega said: »

From what people have said in here theres been no proper testing done on catas drain effect up until recently cata was the only ws to actually do this. But yes taint it was speculation but why else would cata have an int mod instead of just agi and why wouldnt the int effect the drain? This could be the difference of getting 30% of the damage compared to 70% it cant just be random.

INT is a damage modifier.

Scourge is MND and CHR. The stats effect damage.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-10-31 09:59:20  
chr increases the crit rate of the aftermaths duh!

in either case a clear line drawn is push more dmg = higher possible max drain, random as it is
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-31 10:11:19  

The rate is noticeably inconsistant though. I've had whiff swing w/ zanshin proc heal like a cure 5 and then 4-5k grand-slams not top me off when fighting a mob at 100%.

I have noticed that valkyries/odin stereotypically give low-end return (dark based resist?) even when doing V1.
I also have COMPLETELY EYEBALLED the assumption that arcana mobs almost exclusively top me off on a non-miss.

The only constants I seem to notice is that 300 tp cata is -300 accuracy and if you're in red hp or desperately need cata to land it'll miss.

Zanshin can't proc on WSs. So it was a DA proc that you say healed you for more HP than it did damage, I assume. That's the first time I've heard anyone claim Cata is capable of healing for more HP than it does in damage.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 10:12:26  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
???

what?
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-10-31 10:13:16  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
???

what?

Zanshin can't proc on WSs.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 10:24:57  
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Zanshin says:

"Normal Zanshin triggered by the above proc conditions can proc on Weapon Skills." but if both of you claim it can't I'm sorry that I wasn't aware of that before hand.

The "Cure 5 comment" was just hyperbole to illustrate how varied i've noticed the amounts to be. I've had full damage catas not top me off and partial damage catas give me more than my fill.

My comments on this page were peppered with jokes and the term eyeballing... I didn't think anyone would hold me to the letter.

Again, I wasn't aware zanshin couldn't proc on ws (and have no idea why the wiki says it can). I take most things I read on there to have been tested in some manner and don't bother to go re-test ***I assume to be right.

edit* thanks byrth for editing the page but now I look like a crazy person :|
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-10-31 10:48:04  
Sorry, someone (Daisetsu?) posted a fairly convincing test within the last few months that showed it can't. Before that I thought it could. I must have been too busy to update the page when that happened.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 10:51:40  
No, I just feel like an *** for spreading mis-information and was trying to defend myself T.T

O well, lesson learned.
 Odin.Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-10-31 11:04:23  
No, I just feel like an *** for spreading mis-information and was trying to defend myself T.T

O well, lesson learned.

Same here i always thought the int effected the drain but obviously not. D=
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-10-31 11:05:29  
No, I just feel like an *** for spreading mis-information and was trying to defend myself T.T O well, lesson learned.
Same here i always thought the int effected the drain but obviously not. D=

how dare you point out my hypocrisy! *feels like 2x *** now*
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-10-31 11:39:22  
Blame the BLMs. They want to believe INT is everything.
 Ragnarok.Zeromega
By Ragnarok.Zeromega 2012-10-31 11:52:06  
Diabolos.Raelia said: »
Blame the BLMs. They want to believe INT is everything.
INT all the things!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-10-31 13:58:30  
INT affects Steal yo