サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 10:09:30  
11-13-2012 05:55 AM
[BG source] [JP source]
Slycer
BG Translator

Note: My translation. This is an official DEVELOPER post from Fujito on the JP side; not a community team post. Tried to convey the guy's tone in the translation, it was markedly more informal than the normal community team posts.

Fishing!

Hello! I'm really sorry to have kept you waiting for so long for an update about fishing adjustments. As an explanation, we've had a really heavy workload recently and the situation has really been out of the programmers' hands. Since all this stuff has been going on, we haven't been able to give you any updates about this and I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, regarding the fixes that we are thinking about now, I'll post about what we have discussed up to this point.

As a side note, we are still getting our ideas together here so nothing here is set in stone. Also, as mentioned previously, we haven't yet decided when we will be introducing any of this.

Old man Fujito...give us your thoughts! Heh...

Please check out my ideas below. Rough ideas... very rough.

Basic Policy

1. Regarding the fighting element of fishing, we plan to correct this by renovating rather than removing it. As mentioned in a previous post by Oriole, we're going to leave the fighting elements in to compensate for when fishing skill isn't high enough.

2. Give fishing skill a greater impact to the extent possible to simplify operation of the rod during fighting. If you have enough fishing skill, the pole operation will be brought to a state like goldfish scooping. As far as operating the pole, we will compensate for client specification differences as much as possible to bring them all in line.

Big Changes

Input Operations after Casting the Line
Up until now, you had to continuously input directions opposite the fish to reduce their HP to the point where you could catch them. A lot of people have already pointed out to us that different performance of different machines has a significant impact on this, so I'm planning to change this to a single successful input.

In this case, upon successfully performing the input, the HP of the prey will be significantly reduced depending on the fishing rod and the fishing skill of the player. If you fail to perform the input, some HP will be restored to the prey. At this time, we're also thinking that higher fishing skill will also reduce the amount of HP restored in this situation. After performing an entry (whether a success or a failure), the rod will return to the neutral state. In other words, if you're just pounding inputs, it's not gonna work.

Movement of the Rod
Since we're changing the fishing system, we also have to adjust the movement of the rod. Right now, the rod does not stay on either the right or left for very long, and kind of swings back and forth violently, which means that you have to perform extremely short inputs and frequently press buttons as the rod changes directions.

Some of the ideas to change this would be (with continued input success) to have some kind of combo bonus (more significant HP reduction, some kind of DoT effect, make the fish unable to escape, etc.), and I'm also thinking about some other ideas (nothing final yet!).

Regen/DoT to Fish HP Based on Fishing Skill
By comparing the skill values of the fish ("resistance") and the fishing skill value of the player, the HP of the prey will either recover slowly, decrease, or remain the same. The changes will be as shown in the following table:

Skill Value Comparison
Current Spec
New Spec
Prey > Player
Regen
Regen
Prey = Player
Stay the Same
DoT
Prey < Player
DoT
Strong DoT

Basically, if the fishing skill is greater than or equal to the prey's skill level (resistance), the HP of the prey will diminish over time. This will be more noticeable than it is right now after the adjustments. With a high enough skill level, the DoT effect alone should be enough to catch a fish easily.

For example, if a person with fishing skill 100 tries to catch a carp (low resistance), due to the strong DoT effect, the HP will run out quickly without moving the rod at all. This will be very similar to the old school fishing system. On the other hand, if someone with 0 skill tries to catch Bastore Bream or Black Sole, prey that require relatively high skills, the HP of the prey will be significantly restored by regen.

We haven't yet decided exactly how much this effect will be, but we will of course let everyone check it out on the test server once we have it in place.

Other Changes

Fishing Critical
Although this mechanism is already in the game, it is not currently based on skill. So, we plan on changing this so that it's more likely to occur if the fishing skill of the player is higher than the skill (resistance) of the prey. We may also add an effect that fishing fatigue is not generated on a critical.

Fishing Fatigue
This condition is the one that prevents you from catching more than a certain amount of fish per day. This was originally put into place as a counter-RMT measure. We aren't just going to remove this because we believe then we might get even more RMT fishing than we have now. That said, we may allow more prey to be caught as a "bonus" in the following ways:
1) Successful Critical
2) Use certain items to recover fatigue
3) Catch certain prey to recover fatigue
..and so on.

These are just some ideas. We want to implement it so that it's useful but only occurs once in a while.

Fishing Rings with Various Effects

With regard to these, it's possible that they may be computed differently when the mechanism is changes. The effects will still be similar, though. Once we get further along with implementation, we may change the specifications so that they give more time to successfully input during fighting. We also want to consider weather, time, and age {{wat?}} to provide potential bonuses.

One Last Thing...

...and this is also true for other posts here. Please don't just think "we don't want this!" or "give us something else!" If you have specific comments on certain points here, then I can respond more effectively.

Please be aware that it may be difficult to introduce all these changes at the same time. With respect to fishing in particular, please be patient.

I'll post more when we have an announcement to make.

Translated by: Slycer
Subscribe
By Quiznor 2012-11-13 10:13:38  
Topic name edit go
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 10:14:26  
yeah, i havent made a topic in years, my apologies.

Edit***I'll edit this as well, just to keep the spirit alive.
 Ragnarok.Zohnax
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Baelfael
By Ragnarok.Zohnax 2012-11-13 10:17:30  
I could barely understand that translation. But I got the jist of, "We're thinking of making it like the fishing mini-game on XIV."
 Ragnarok.Legendarycloud
By Ragnarok.Legendarycloud 2012-11-13 10:30:29  
Google Translate of the original post.

"Hi there

I'm really sorry to have kept you waiting so long in relation to fishing.
I think not only hear the excuse, is a situation in which I have really heavy work get stuck, would not open hands of the programmer.
Because it is such a situation, when you can deal with it can not be stated at this stage.
I'm sorry.

With respect to the fixes that are thinking now (I'm pretty Huwa Innovation) because it is likely to be present, I think I'll post about what is fixed in at this stage, however.

As a side note, it is written now study stage, but it is not a fixed item.
In addition, as mentioned in the previous paragraph also implementation period, and pending state.

Uncle of Fujito, do you Ten opinion thing. へー Heh

Please see the perspective of the much. The roughly. Roughly.

Basic policy

•Corrections in the form of renovation rather than fighting for elements removed.
→→ According to the Oriole previous post so that you are well, I'm going to leave that as a challenge elements compensate for the element itself fighting skill is not enough.

•And now let the impact is greater than the impact of fishing skill, as much as possible to simplify the operation rod.
→ If you have enough skill even fishing, I take it to state that even if there is no fish like goldfish scooping pole operation.
→ As for pole operation, we are to be filled out by the client specifications as much as possible with little difference.

Change significantly

input operation when the pole fell
In the direction opposite to the direction of the fallen until now, was a method to reduce the HP of prey "to continue to input."
We are going to change the fact that so far from everyone pointed out, such as the difference between the performance of the machine is easy to get to the part "to continue to" input "to succeed one input" But.

In this case, when you successfully input, I greatly reduce the HP of the game, depending on the nature of the skills and fishing pole.
If you fail to enter the contrary, I restored a little HP of prey. By fishing skills, we believe the effect of reducing the amount of HP recovery of prey at this time.
If you enter, regardless of success or failure, rod returns to a neutral state.
This means that even if I gotta roll.
How to shaking of the rod
From the fact that the game system changes, how to put the adjustment itself also shaking of the rod.
and shall state that the rod does not fall on either side is too long, swings violently from side to side, with respect to what the input receiving extremely short time, make changes in the direction of making the time you can enter as much as possible.

The idea in this case, with (was allowed to continue the success of the input) could correspond to the movement of the rod continuously for example, when, greatly reduced further, such as combo bonus effect the HP prey (and slip effect, relief I think I wonder if that will be a little different flavor etc ..) is also no longer be, and stick together. (Not yet adopted the idea!)
And slip of HP regen skill game by fishing
We are determined by comparing the skill values ​​(resistance) fishing, the value skill fishing players prey took hold, HP prey or recover slowly, or not change, or decrease.
We will change as shown in the following table how the decision.

Skill value comparison > Player game = Player game Prey <player
Current specification Regen No change Slip
New specification Regen Slip Slip strength

HP is a form of prey will decrease equal to or greater than the skill value (resistance) essentially fishing, game fishing skill has value.
This is considered to adjustment phenomena such as noticeable more than the status quo, and be able to state that slip is working already around a player exceeds the skill (resistance) fishing game has. Minute, I think part of the "no change" is either extremely narrow.

For example, when a person is caught a carp fishing skill 100 skill dig low (resistance) fishing, due to the effect of strong slip, HP runs out game is at a good speed without the input pole. This is very similar to the behavior of the system early fishing.

When, on the other hand, people skills 0 Bastore and caught bream and black sole, a prey that require relatively high skills, becomes a form of status quo fishing tracing the specification that HP prey largely restored by regeneration.

Respectively, either put the curve effect how much you're going to try actually decided yet.
So you can check on the test server to everyone, of course.

For other changes

Fishing critical

It is a mechanism that has already been introduced now, now I is not generated based on the skill. So, fishing skill is more likely to occur if the skill is higher than the value (resistance) of prey fishing too.I wonder if I believe I can give the effect of added "tired" so-called, such as does not occur at that time.

"Tired"

And raise a certain amount, is a condition that can not be obtained more prey that day.
This was originally placed as a measure trader. Please note that if you cancel this, you might get contractors rife more than now. I believe that is not going to simply remove the upper limit for that, and given the possibility of setting more than caught its prey as a bonus in the following way: for example.
If successful occurrence raise critical
• Use of the item you want to recover the fatigue
•Prey to recover fatigue and raise
And so on.
Not only any ideas, I can be carried out in a manner that results in the recovery of such a change and say "Whoa" occasionally.
Various effects ring fishing
For products, there is a possibility that the numerical calculation for changes when the mechanism has changed.
I think the thing itself, though, I could use the effect as it is because it is almost, and I can use to give you a sense similar.
Something like the above, in the current situation, I believe the content outline renovation anyway.

It is at the stage of implementation start rub this further, I dropped into the specification, it is where you want to spend the time setting per input determines the success of the fighting and the length of time fishing as possible elements.

I have just the weather and time, as well as the impact of age, I would like to think as a positive factor.

Incidentally

This is also true in the case of other posts from here,
Please do not think that "! Whether there is an element that you have not written! → I do not want to adjust."
I think the point that was noticed and pointed out that you can, and you can answer.

Also, please note that it may be difficult to realize also that this is also introduced at the same time it also.
I think with respect to fishing and especially if you look really ... patiently.

Or more, until the first announcement."

Nailed it.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 10:30:56  
Yeah, i'm sure Camate will translate it tonight and have it ready for tomorrow so it's more clear.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 10:34:11  
Ragnarok.Legendarycloud said: »

Nailed it.

Yeah, i could have done that, but i chose to do a link and specify that it was translated. I used google translator as well. soo yeah.. you nailed it alright.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-11-13 10:36:53  
And this is why I love slycer's translations + Kalilla's formatting.
[+]
 Sylph.Jrpg
user: ohnogc
By Sylph.Jrpg 2012-11-13 10:38:51  
Google Translate said: »
Fishing critical

Looking forward to being able to critical fish.
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 10:39:47  
yeah. Hopefully they can come and do the table stuff they do and just delete this thread, but the jp post had been up for 3 hours, so i just went ahead and half-assed the news...kinda like my local news paper.
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 10:40:25  
Sylph.Jrpg said: »
Fishing critical

If you crit while fishing, all you get is the lower mandible of the fish.
[+]
By Avitori 2012-11-13 10:54:20  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »

I think i'll wait for the official, can never understand it like this :<
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-13 11:12:13  
So they are adjusting a fishing minigame that the majority of fishermen bypass and looking at ways to reduce fatigue.
 Ragnarok.Legendarycloud
By Ragnarok.Legendarycloud 2012-11-13 11:35:47  
Sylph.Washburn said: »
Nailed it.
Yeah, i could have done that, but i chose to do a link and specify that it was translated. I used google translator as well. soo yeah.. you nailed it alright.

I think you took my post too seriously... lol.

Sometimes it's fun to be able to quote stuff from the translate and have a few laughs. Lighten up a bit! :)
 Carbuncle.Nibu
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: nibu
By Carbuncle.Nibu 2012-11-13 11:36:43  
Sounds like the same information we got some months ago.

Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
So they are adjusting a fishing minigame that the majority of fishermen bypass and looking at ways to reduce fatigue.

I think it's more along the lines of "adjusting a fishing minigame because a majority of the fisherman bypass it."
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2012-11-13 11:39:55  
They aren't saying they're making it server-side, so the majority of fishermen will still bypass it. At worst it will kill the bots for a week or two.
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-13 11:40:31  
I see nothing to indicate that they're implementing any countermeasures to fish botting.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-11-13 11:41:27  
Hopefully they adjust it so you CANT bypass it. lol
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2012-11-13 11:43:35  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
They aren't saying they're making it server-side, so the majority of fishermen will still bypass it. At worst it will kill the bots for a week or two.

It would probably put too much strain on the servers, or else they'd have done this (make fishing server side) a long time ago.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 12:17:16  
Nailed it.

I think you took my post too seriously... lol.

Sometimes it's fun to be able to quote stuff from the translate and have a few laughs. Lighten up a bit! :)
Oh i wasn't offended, or anything. Human emotion isnt always conveyed correctly through text, hence the countless nights my gf took stuff the wrong way and i ended up on the couch over nothing lol
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2012-11-13 12:17:26  
fishing buffs are the funniest buffs
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-13 12:18:18  
yeah. Hopefully they can come and do the table stuff they do and just delete this thread, but the jp post had been up for 3 hours, so i just went ahead and half-assed the news...kinda like my local news paper.
Slycer won't be finished with it for about an hour or so.

If you can make yourself available to edit your OP with what I PM you then I see no reason to create a different thread, unless you really want it to be purple but that isn't necessary.
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 12:18:59  
As far as the fishing, the way i read it, it almost seems to be a "tap a directional button" in the right direction, and it takes off a lot of hp, but if you hit the wrong one, it'll regen. i'm assuming hp lost/gained will vary on pole/level differences between the fish and the fisher.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 12:20:18  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
Slycer won't be finished with it for about an hour or so.

If you can make yourself available to edit your OP with what I PM you then I see no reason to create a different thread, unless you really want it to be purple but that isn't necessary.
whatever is easier for you, i'll be here.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-13 12:22:02  
There is almost a full page of discussion already, so I'll just post it here and you can quote the post and put it in the OP.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 12:25:12  
Siren.Kalilla said: »
There is almost a full page of discussion already, so I'll just post it here and you can quote the post and put it in the OP.
okie doke
By AsuraVanzan 2012-11-13 12:34:56  
Fishing critical

I lol'd a little too hard when I read this. Good one :D
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2012-11-13 12:38:07  
AsuraVanzan said: »
Fishing critical

I lol'd a little too hard when I read this. Good one :D
I've actually had that happen in RL when i snagged a largemouth bass. Idk what to call it now. Overbite Bass?
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-11-13 14:18:46  
11-13-2012 05:55 AM
[BG source] [JP source]
Slycer
BG Translator

Note: My translation. This is an official DEVELOPER post from Fujito on the JP side; not a community team post. Tried to convey the guy's tone in the translation, it was markedly more informal than the normal community team posts.

Fishing!

Hello! I'm really sorry to have kept you waiting for so long for an update about fishing adjustments. As an explanation, we've had a really heavy workload recently and the situation has really been out of the programmers' hands. Since all this stuff has been going on, we haven't been able to give you any updates about this and I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, regarding the fixes that we are thinking about now, I'll post about what we have discussed up to this point.

As a side note, we are still getting our ideas together here so nothing here is set in stone. Also, as mentioned previously, we haven't yet decided when we will be introducing any of this.

Old man Fujito...give us your thoughts! Heh...

Please check out my ideas below. Rough ideas... very rough.

Basic Policy

1. Regarding the fighting element of fishing, we plan to correct this by renovating rather than removing it. As mentioned in a previous post by Oriole, we're going to leave the fighting elements in to compensate for when fishing skill isn't high enough.

2. Give fishing skill a greater impact to the extent possible to simplify operation of the rod during fighting. If you have enough fishing skill, the pole operation will be brought to a state like goldfish scooping. As far as operating the pole, we will compensate for client specification differences as much as possible to bring them all in line.

Big Changes

Input Operations after Casting the Line
Up until now, you had to continuously input directions opposite the fish to reduce their HP to the point where you could catch them. A lot of people have already pointed out to us that different performance of different machines has a significant impact on this, so I'm planning to change this to a single successful input.

In this case, upon successfully performing the input, the HP of the prey will be significantly reduced depending on the fishing rod and the fishing skill of the player. If you fail to perform the input, some HP will be restored to the prey. At this time, we're also thinking that higher fishing skill will also reduce the amount of HP restored in this situation. After performing an entry (whether a success or a failure), the rod will return to the neutral state. In other words, if you're just pounding inputs, it's not gonna work.

Movement of the Rod
Since we're changing the fishing system, we also have to adjust the movement of the rod. Right now, the rod does not stay on either the right or left for very long, and kind of swings back and forth violently, which means that you have to perform extremely short inputs and frequently press buttons as the rod changes directions.

Some of the ideas to change this would be (with continued input success) to have some kind of combo bonus (more significant HP reduction, some kind of DoT effect, make the fish unable to escape, etc.), and I'm also thinking about some other ideas (nothing final yet!).

Regen/DoT to Fish HP Based on Fishing Skill
By comparing the skill values of the fish ("resistance") and the fishing skill value of the player, the HP of the prey will either recover slowly, decrease, or remain the same. The changes will be as shown in the following table:

Skill Value Comparison
Current Spec
New Spec
Prey > Player
Regen
Regen
Prey = Player
Stay the Same
DoT
Prey < Player
DoT
Strong DoT

Basically, if the fishing skill is greater than or equal to the prey's skill level (resistance), the HP of the prey will diminish over time. This will be more noticeable than it is right now after the adjustments. With a high enough skill level, the DoT effect alone should be enough to catch a fish easily.

For example, if a person with fishing skill 100 tries to catch a carp (low resistance), due to the strong DoT effect, the HP will run out quickly without moving the rod at all. This will be very similar to the old school fishing system. On the other hand, if someone with 0 skill tries to catch Bastore Bream or Black Sole, prey that require relatively high skills, the HP of the prey will be significantly restored by regen.

We haven't yet decided exactly how much this effect will be, but we will of course let everyone check it out on the test server once we have it in place.

Other Changes

Fishing Critical
Although this mechanism is already in the game, it is not currently based on skill. So, we plan on changing this so that it's more likely to occur if the fishing skill of the player is higher than the skill (resistance) of the prey. We may also add an effect that fishing fatigue is not generated on a critical.

Fishing Fatigue
This condition is the one that prevents you from catching more than a certain amount of fish per day. This was originally put into place as a counter-RMT measure. We aren't just going to remove this because we believe then we might get even more RMT fishing than we have now. That said, we may allow more prey to be caught as a "bonus" in the following ways:
1) Successful Critical
..and so on.

These are just some ideas. We want to implement it so that it's useful but only occurs once in a while.

Fishing Rings with Various Effects

With regard to these, it's possible that they may be computed differently when the mechanism is changes. The effects will still be similar, though. Once we get further along with implementation, we may change the specifications so that they give more time to successfully input during fighting. We also want to consider weather, time, and age {{wat?}} to provide potential bonuses.

One Last Thing...

...and this is also true for other posts here. Please don't just think "we don't want this!" or "give us something else!" If you have specific comments on certain points here, then I can respond more effectively.

Please be aware that it may be difficult to introduce all these changes at the same time. With respect to fishing in particular, please be patient.

I'll post more when we have an announcement to make.

Translated by: Slycer
Subscribe
[+]
 Siren.Calnus
user: Calnus
By Siren.Calnus 2012-11-13 14:30:06  
Quote:
1) Successful Critical
..and so on.

Holy hell awesome if actually implemented.

Over all the information seems to cater to veteran fishers very nicely while adding new challenge and problems to new ones. At least at first glance it seems.
First Page 2