フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Ashman's Amazon Cart
Ashman's Amazon Cart
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-03-03 15:17:47  
While I admit that the NASA stuff sounds interesting to me, I'm pretty sure we're getting a bit far off base of the original request with that.

Maybe I'm wrong.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-03-03 15:34:44  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
In between reading a lot of the items Kara has up there (and Patrick Rothfuss, Sam Sykes, etc), here are some of the non-fiction reading:

Mauve, by Simon Garfield
IGNITION! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark.
Fastener design manual, Richard T. Barrett, NAsA Reference publication 1228
Spacecraft System Failures and Anomolies Attributed to the Natural Space Environment, NASA Reference Publication 1390
Using Sorties vs. Flying Hours to Predict Aircraft Spares Demand, Craig C. Sherbrooke

A good number of the above are freely available in PDF form. NASA reference manuals are usually pretty interesting if somewhat narrow in focus.

And yes, I do realize that I might be a bit odd.

I feel this might put me on a "person of interest list" if not read behind a proxy.
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-03-03 15:36:32  
Hmm. Well, the first one won't, at least. Hi NSA!
[+]
By fonewear 2014-03-03 15:36:59  
I mostly read books about Philosophy so unless you are into that I probably don't have any good recommendations sadly.

I've tried to read Hunger Games and books like that never been able to get into it.
By empx 2014-03-03 16:04:31  
Dawn Charis said: »

Ashman said:
I actually own this and choke. I still have yet to read them because I saw parts of choke (the film) and thought the movie was awful. I'll definitely give it a reconsider.

Both are excellent choices. The film adaptation of Choke was awful but the book is fantastic. If you enjoy unique writing styles and are interested in something different/unexpected, I suggest giving Pygmy (also by Palahniuk)a whirl. The story is questionable but the presentation is mind-blowing.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-03-03 16:09:42  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
In between reading a lot of the items Kara has up there (and Patrick Rothfuss, Sam Sykes, etc), here are some of the non-fiction reading:

Mauve, by Simon Garfield
IGNITION! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John D. Clark.
Fastener design manual, Richard T. Barrett, NAsA Reference publication 1228
Spacecraft System Failures and Anomolies Attributed to the Natural Space Environment, NASA Reference Publication 1390
Using Sorties vs. Flying Hours to Predict Aircraft Spares Demand, Craig C. Sherbrooke

A good number of the above are freely available in PDF form. NASA reference manuals are usually pretty interesting if somewhat narrow in focus.

And yes, I do realize that I might be a bit odd.

I feel this might put me on a "person of interest list" if not read behind a proxy.

That'd be an awfully dorky government watch list. If you think the NSA gets bored of seeing people's sexts...
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Dawnn
By Dawn Charis 2014-03-03 17:40:50  
empx said: »
Dawn Charis said: »

Ashman said:
I actually own this and choke. I still have yet to read them because I saw parts of choke (the film) and thought the movie was awful. I'll definitely give it a reconsider.

Both are excellent choices. The film adaptation of Choke was awful but the book is fantastic. If you enjoy unique writing styles and are interested in something different/unexpected, I suggest giving Pygmy (also by Palahniuk)a whirl. The story is questionable but the presentation is mind-blowing.

its an epic story of sex changes and ***'s
with occasional drug abuse
my kinda world <3
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [72 days between previous and next post]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-14 12:26:09  
Just started reading the "Gentlemen ***" series by Scott Lynch.
-The lies of Locke Lamora
-Red seas under red skies

It is seriously enjoyable so far. The storyline is a cross between Ocean's Eleven, the Godfather, and the Blacklist set in a medieval fantasy world.

If you are offended by blood, death, and strong language; this is not for you.

Edit: the books are worth the bump!
By Zyla 2014-05-14 13:11:25  
i personally read alot of paranormal romance type novels, here's a list of some of my current favorites:

vampire academy series
bloodlines series (vampire academy spin off, ongoing)
morganville vampires series
house of night series
anything by Gena Showalter
most of lynsay sands works (romance)
by the light of the moon, dean coontz, great read
the iron fey series by julie kagawa

hope these would fit in line with your preferences, happy reading ^^
 Shiva.Ahleah
サーバ: Shiva
user: Ahleah
By Shiva.Ahleah 2014-05-14 21:52:49  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
Just started reading the "Gentlemen ***" series by Scott Lynch.
-The lies of Locke Lamora
-Red seas under red skies

It is seriously enjoyable so far. The storyline is a cross between Ocean's Eleven, the Godfather, and the Blacklist set in a medieval fantasy world.

If you are offended by blood, death, and strong language; this is not for you.

Edit: the books are worth the bump!
I second this nomination, best read I've encountered in past year (Haven't read new sanderson yet!)
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [79 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-08-01 10:59:29  
Sort of off topic / sort of on topic (might buy from amazon).

Thinking of buying new bluetooth headset. I have a motorola finity headpiece that's nice for "work ***" but I was thinking more along the lines of a "fitness headset". Basically something comfy that fits good which i can use to tune out my surroundings while i work out. Style can take a backseat to performance/comfort/leastlikelytofalloffhead etc.

Anyone have suggestions?

Android (HTC ONE) if it matters.
By volkom 2014-08-01 11:07:04  
Not a fan of bluetooh headsets. If you want something to drown out the noise of the surroundings, what about a bose quietcomfort 15?
It comes with a long cable audio cable you can plugin and the sound quality is really good. Also it has the noise cancellation feature which is really cool and makes you feel like you're in space.

Not sure of your budget though. I also heard that jaybird bluebuds are nice too
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-08-01 13:53:21  
volkom said: »
It comes with a long cable audio cable you can plugin and the sound quality is really good.

Is it long enough to be intrusive? I don't wanna trip over it or yank that ***out of my ears if i'm mid run. Also the lack of cord made it easier to "package" my phone while running.

I'll take a look
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-08-01 13:57:44  

Thinking of buying new bluetooth headset. I have a motorola finity headpiece that's nice for "work ***" but I was thinking more along the lines of a "fitness headset". Basically something comfy that fits good which i can use to tune out my surroundings while i work out. Style can take a backseat to performance/comfort/leastlikelytofalloffhead etc.

Anyone have suggestions?

I've had a few, I've never found one that's comfortable for working out.

But I sweat like a sonofabitch. Like, a lot. So.

I've found I have to stick with regular earbuds. It's just easier that way.
By volkom 2014-08-01 14:35:40  
volkom said: »
It comes with a long cable audio cable you can plugin and the sound quality is really good.

Is it long enough to be intrusive? I don't wanna trip over it or yank that ***out of my ears if i'm mid run. Also the lack of cord made it easier to "package" my phone while running.

I'll take a look

just tie it

Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-08-01 14:50:38  

Anyone have suggestions?

Using sennheiser NX 685 at the moment. They actually stay in while running, which seems to be an impossible feat for normal earbuds (at least in my ears).

I had a previous pair of MX 85, but they don't seem to produce them anymore.

They cause me some discomfort if I wear them for extended periods (doing yardwork/housework for hours), but no issues of note when running up to 20k at a time.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [260 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2015-05-05 07:47:54  
I came back to comment on something else but i wanted to post here in regards to this after backreading hoping to scrape together something else i wanted to read:

Quetzalcoatl.Xueye said: »
American Gods by Neil Gaiman was one of the most captivating reads I've read in years. It's modern day fairytale, fantasy stuff.

I bought a combo-hardcover that has both this and anansi boys. I thoroughly enjoyed both books. At first when finishing them I felt that I was disappointed because the books felt not to go how i wanted them to and ended "semi" ambiguously. However, enough months have gone by now that I feel at peace with that feeling and on the whole enjoyed both very much. It's nice as a change of pace to have a book that doesn't leave you feeling "everything went as expected" etc.

When i bought this book (probably a couple months after originally making this thread) it recommended an omnibus comprising the the "chronicles of amber (1-10)" by Roger Zelazny. These ~1200 pages were definitely an excellent read. However, THE MOTHER-F'ER DIED AFTER WRITING BOOK 10 LEAVING THE CLIMAX UNWRITTEN. Holy ***, the last book ends with several big questions open as well as several plot allusions, omens, and cliff-hangers. THIS is not what i mean by a refreshing sense of difference in the last paragraph.

I've been thinking of picking up discworld for 20 years. The recent passing of Sir Terry has brought this to light yet again. It is however an intimidating investment to capture his whole collection assuming i like the books. Same with Xanth. I loved the Xanth books as a teen (a male teen going through puberty didn't hurt) but i only got like 8 books in. Even if i get a good deal, the whole collection is going to be a significant investment.

/cry

I wish i enjoyed television :C
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-05-05 08:47:22  
Pratchetts books are worth reading multiple times, if that makes a difference.

Also, if you want to look for used books Betterworldbooks.com has world-wide free shipping and multiple sellers with new, used, and ebook formats
[+]
By Wordspoken 2015-05-05 11:28:58  
The better part of Discworld series is that you don't really need to read previous books to enjoy one. IMHO, don't be intimitated by the 20+ books and just go for it!
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-05-05 12:29:20  
Definitely read it. Also, libraries.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2015-05-05 13:23:39  
Also, libraries.

This is going to sound really really lame or really sad. I've always wanted a library. Like....

one day i want this in one room of my house:

Anyhow, I have a think about buying books. I don't borrow. It also sucks because part of the neurosis involves hardcovers. I lost a good lot of books in a move a while back but I could probably fill half of a wall.
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [69 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2015-07-13 11:47:53  
Has anyone read this:

Leviathan_(Westerfeld_novel)

yes/no/maybe?

I'm ok with young adult part. Steampunk inside of literature would be newish for me. Worth?
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 12:04:40  
Has anyone read this:

Leviathan_(Westerfeld_novel)

yes/no/maybe?

I'm ok with young adult part. Steampunk inside of literature would be newish for me. Worth?

Sounds interesting.

I should try to do some steampunk/dieselpunk/decopunk reading if I can find some. It would help me with a few things I'm currently working on myself I think.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2015-07-13 12:21:06  

this pic always pops up in desktop background threads and it piqued my interest in the whole mess.
By Ramyrez 2015-07-13 12:24:04  
Aside from Scandinavia looking like a collection of living phalluses, that's pretty cool.
 Bahamut.Milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2015-07-13 12:46:46  
Also, libraries.

This is going to sound really really lame or really sad. I've always wanted a library. Like....

one day i want this in one room of my house:

Anyhow, I have a think about buying books. I don't borrow. It also sucks because part of the neurosis involves hardcovers. I lost a good lot of books in a move a while back but I could probably fill half of a wall.
I felt that way for a long time.
We're looking at massively downsizing the number of hardcopy-books we have. The convenience of having all the books I want in such a small and utile package is hard to pass up. Plus the fact that the space and conditions necessary to keep books is significant, and I'm frankly tired of boxing and moving them. I'd still keep the reference books and manuals, and books that I really enjoy and read often, but others that I've not read in probably close to a decade now?
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [207 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2016-02-05 07:51:10  
Hi everyone! Missed you :*

I decided that I don't want EVERY book i read to be on a bookshelf. I broke down and bought a Kindle Paperwhite. Anyone got any new suggestions?

I'm thinking about buying the discworld series (although even digital versions are still 8$ a book).

Also, i read the leviathan series and it was good for teen lit (better than your average vampire teen romance of the last ten years but i've read better too). I would recommend for the semi-unique steampunk aspect.
Administrator
By Rooks 2016-02-05 07:52:29  
The Discworld series is fun. Start with The Colour of Magic, but where you go from there doesn't really matter.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2016-02-05 07:55:45  
Rooks said: »
The Discworld series is fun. Start with The Colour of Magic, but where you go from there doesn't really matter.

It blows my mind that there are libraries of books written to tell you what order to read these books lol.