For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 119 120 121 ... 263 264 265
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Godofgods 2015-10-03 12:13:12  
Aeyela said: »
Odin.Godofgods said: »
so basically the natural th3, the th3 from plunderer's armlets +1 and th2 from skulker's poulainesalready caps th.
Thats a lot easier then i remember'

NQ Gloves work too if you're using Sandung

I dont have that weapon. Dont even have a delve title. I had to leave a while when that content was coming into play. Was still doing 18 man plasem farming pts then.

But i had just upgraded my two pieces to the ones i mentioned above. Cant 119 the empy piece tho without vagary wins. If that caps it already then that makes things much more simple'
By Aeyela 2015-10-03 13:57:37  
You don't need a Delve clear to get it. It's the "job" weapon for Thief that you can get from Oboro. You'll just need to either beat one of the merit battles on Normal or higher to unlock access. :)

I hear ya on Delve & Vagary wins though. Struggling to get that done myself.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2015-10-03 14:35:35  
On that Oboro guy, yeah you can just get the high tier bcnm battle clear for it instead of Delve.

Aeyela if you're still on lakshmi, and on during jp hours, look for Hokutho, he does vagary pugs and accepts anyone as long as you have a job he can use. I join his shouts everytime I see it. So use translate!
[+]
By Aeyela 2015-10-03 14:59:07  
Lakshmi.Lenus said: »
On that Oboro guy, yeah you can just get the high tier bcnm battle clear for it instead of Delve.

Aeyela if you're still on lakshmi, and on during jp hours, look for Hokutho, he does vagary pugs and accepts anyone as long as you have a job he can use. I join his shouts everytime I see it. So use translate!

Alas, I moved to Odin a month ago. Very kind offer though, thanks!
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-10-04 21:12:27  
Aeyela said: »
Lakshmi.Lenus said: »

Alas, I moved to Odin a month ago. Very kind offer though, thanks!

What's your char's name on Odin?
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-10-04 21:22:27  
Here's a question to something beyond just THF.

What's the balance between MDB and MEva? At which point does one become stronger than the other, say in the same slot? Is there any resource I could read into? I couldn't quite find an exact answer on BGWiki.

I am trying to optimize MDT/MDB/MEva according to whether I receive merited Shellra V or just some random Shell V and possibly without sacrificing too much.

I am looking at something like this:

ItemSet 338244

Some items are being considered for additional stats such as DW (Samnuha Body, Floral Gautnlets in particular) or Accuracy. The set would also include the use of sheltered ring. Also, lunette ring +1 looks pretty neat, provided you can maintain latent, but I can't come up with a proper build for it that doesn't sacrifice other stats.
 Shiva.Zykei
サーバ: Shiva
user: Zykei
By Shiva.Zykei 2015-10-05 11:29:58  
Maybe swap belt and Eabani for an MDT Belt and Etoliation earring - which allows you to swap your vocane ring to shadow ring?
Loss of a few MEVA for another chance of straight up negating some dmg (And gain MDB on darksday)
By Aeyela 2015-10-05 12:01:33  
Odin.Sheelay said: »
What's your char's name on Odin?

Azenora
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-10-05 12:18:31  
Odin.Sheelay said: »
What's the balance between MDB and MEva? At which point does one become stronger than the other, say in the same slot? Is there any resource I could read into? I couldn't quite find an exact answer on BGWiki.
While MDT has a cap, MDB and MEva don't, so technically you can never have too much of either. It's pretty hard to quantify between the two since MDB depends on the enemy's MAB, and MEva vs their MAcc. After capping MDT, the best you can do is look for the pieces that have good amounts of both. A few notes though:

- Warder's Charm and Engulfer Cape don't stack together, so you might want to wear something like Twilight Torque instead.
- Consider the Shadow Ring, which has a surprisingly high proc rate (like 10-12%ish).
- Iuitl can get MDT, it might be worth looking over what pieces of you might have (particularly if they were retired) to fill in some of those slots.
[+]
By Cleric 2015-10-07 15:21:39  
I cannot seem to get the spreadsheets to open/work..

Quick question for main hand.

Ipetam (max aug) vs Taming Sari (max aug)? Assuming Dmg+16, ACC/ATK+15, (DA, STP, Critrate as 3rd aug) on Ipetam.
By Boshi 2015-10-07 15:53:45  
Taming
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
サーバ: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2015-10-27 18:29:04  
How about the Shijo From Escha- Ru'Aun? Worth lookin at or junk?
By Ulthakptah 2015-10-29 16:47:51  
I stole a Kobonoibuki from the Ru'aun Seiryu. Anyone know if these are worth using?
 Bismarck.Speedyjim
サーバ: Bismarck
user: speedyjim
By Bismarck.Speedyjim 2015-11-03 09:45:41  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
A few things:

- Been organizing crap for a new guide, I decided to focus on that before finishing the spreadsheet since the spreadsheet is constantly being updated.
- The new guide will have a variety of alternatives to give people who are looking to save money more options. A section will also discuss the benefits between various augments (applying to Taeon, Rawhide, etc) and other personal choices you can factor in like Adoulin ring.
- While certain pieces do become outdated for those of us who have been playing longer, I will still include them as part of "stepping stone" sets that returning/aspiring THFs may want to consider.
- Lustratio body path D is Att/Acc/DA, so the piece itself is garbage for THF
How's this coming along, JeanPaul?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-03 13:39:36  
Bismarck.Speedyjim said: »
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
A few things:

- Been organizing crap for a new guide, I decided to focus on that before finishing the spreadsheet since the spreadsheet is constantly being updated.
- The new guide will have a variety of alternatives to give people who are looking to save money more options. A section will also discuss the benefits between various augments (applying to Taeon, Rawhide, etc) and other personal choices you can factor in like Adoulin ring.
- While certain pieces do become outdated for those of us who have been playing longer, I will still include them as part of "stepping stone" sets that returning/aspiring THFs may want to consider.
- Lustratio body path D is Att/Acc/DA, so the piece itself is garbage for THF
How's this coming along, JeanPaul?
It's on hold for two reasons, one being the upcoming update could potentially change a lot of things, and two being I'm incredibly busy with my graduate program and classes that I'm teaching.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-11-03 13:50:10  
At this point in the game's life, I'm not sure whether a guide would hurt or help more anymore.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-03 14:14:08  
Bismarck.Ihina said: »
At this point in the game's life, I'm not sure whether a guide would hurt or help more anymore.
Well, on one side of it, it wouldn't need much to be maintained, and there are inevitably going to be people looking for information until the game is completely shut down. I guess one of the biggest things is just updated gearsets, considering how many of the posts in this thread are just "what's the latest best in slot X?".
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-11-03 15:26:50  
And that's my biggest issue with guides. I don't know exactly how long you've been frequenting these threads, but I (used to?) regularly lash out against guides because they do nothing to teach a player how to be a good, knowledgeable player and instead, just tell them what gear they should put on. Following the advent of Abyssea, there's been an ever increasing number of brain dead players who don't have the slightest idea what they're doing, only knowing they should get 'x' gear because people say it's good, and that mentality comes from getting used to having things spoonfed to them on a regular basis. New gear would come out and instead of looking at the gear, judging and seeing if they have a place in one's gearsets, people run to threads like this and wait for people to tell them.

But on the other hand, the game is approaching its conclusion. If people haven't learned by now, there's no chance they'll bother learned, whether a guide exists or not.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2015-11-03 15:38:07  
There is a danish saying that roughly goes like this
"against idiots even the good fights in vain."

i think the guides are nice for people that know thier job and lieks to get a quick view over possible gear. and is a source a maybe som extra info. but no guide will ever make an idiot a master. and when you have people here on FFXIAH literally complaining that they need to level at job up to max level instead of just getting it handed to them. you know some people don't like to put out any kind of effort to learn or master something.

Im hoping someone af SE buys out the FFXI right and relaunch it with a better 3d engine and remove some of all the recent baby mode and afk burning possibilities.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-03 15:47:30  
I agree that people generally seem put too much emphasis on gear and less on mechanics and strategy, specifically the critical thinking aspect that allows players like you or I to generate strategies. One of the main focuses of my guide is to focus on strategic elements, and I was also thinking of (separately) providing guides for certain content like Salvage. I do understand that some players are simply looking to gear for farming Dynamis or whatever, so I want provide something for them as well. I presume there are players who may also be thinking "well, after all these years, I never tried playing THF, maybe I should check it out".

I'm not sure if you're planning on sticking around beyond November, but I do appreciate your contributions, and I would definitely like it if you could critique my guide when it's finished.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-11-03 15:59:04  
I don't mean to detract from the Topic of THF, but in regards to guides in general on FFXIAH...

I posted something about how I felt the guide I've been working on/with for PUP wasn't even useful for the majority of people for more or less the same reasons that Ihina mentioned.

I got a few PMs from users who essentially said that they do like the guides and that they help even if it doesn't seem like it.

It got me thinking about how there are not a lot of contributors on the site, but there are a lot of consumers. Even though the user base is smaller than what it was before, that doesn't mean that there are not people out there who get information from guides, but otherwise do not interact with the site in any other way.

There isn't any way of knowing how many of these users there are, but they DO appreciate the work people put in to help others on this site, and it does help them. So while maybe it seems like the guides aren't helping, there are still literally thousands of players still playing every day. And if a guide helps out even a handful of those players, I'd say it's worthwhile. The ones who take the time to read and understand the information in guides are the ones who are going to stick around after they have the gear they want anyway, so those are the people I'd want to help.
[+]
By richwood 2015-11-09 18:35:26  
Considering a dive back into FFXI, been playing FFXIV for a few months since I have been gone but content flies in that game and not much do to but cap ESOs each week. I find FFXI more involved and dynamic. I have been gone since last yesr and wonder what I should expect as a returning player? Thf has been a long loved main for over 10 years; how is Thf in current content?

I am surprised non one as taken over the sticky on this thread or started another thread for ideal gear sets and viable Thf content, or I am just not seeing it.
By Ulthakptah 2015-11-10 07:47:17  
So I guess one of the things the new thf guide is going to need is an Exenterator set.

I hope the dagger works from the offhand though. I would hate to have to give up my mythic perks.
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-11-10 07:51:33  
Ulthakptah said: »
So I guess one of the things the new thf guide is going to need is an Exenterator set.

I hope the dagger works from the offhand though. I would hate to have to give up my mythic perks.

It is highly unlikely. REMs don't work that way so it's easy to assume neither As will. All you would get by offending them is higher skill.
By Colossusx 2015-11-13 18:27:57  
Any thf's out there with updated sets slightly more recent that the ones on page 1? Tho most are probable based off the random augs you get from skirm/SR/Esc. Any help would be great.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Cadant
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: cadant
By Lakshmi.Cadant 2015-11-14 07:29:09  
Can anyone point me towards a gearswap for THF or maybe their own? Preferebly a noob friendly one. I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with computer stuff. There is a SMN gearswap on the SMN forums that was easy for me to setup if anyone is familiar
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2015-11-18 11:00:50  
Has hetairoi ring been found yet? Pretty sexy thing.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-11-18 11:06:19  
Drops from Maju, a Pieste T3 NM in Reisenjima.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 119 120 121 ... 263 264 265