First Page 2 3 ... 147 148 149 ... 262 263 264
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-20 14:34:11  
Gonna add some notes about the big Aeonic 9 in regards to THF:

• Kirin: A very useful fight for Larceny, as Kouryu can use PD or Invincible, an you want to kill him as fast as possible. If you're back-tanking it, stealing either will last long enough to make Flail a non-issue (especially with our own PD), meaning you can sub WAR. Weak to wind and resistant to dark/earth, so using Light SCs would be better.

• Warder of Courage: Main issues with this fight are the wyverns and Benediction. Invincible is his heads-up for Bene, and you can lock it with a SC. Larceny on Invincible won't stop Bene, though. You could use it instead to stop Soul Voice (and thus Virelai), with Call Wyvern being your cue to anticipate it. Only weak to dark.

• Teles: Like WoC, you can choose between Larceny on SV (mute aura, charm stuff) or Invincible (Dia aura). Due to its length and how crippling mute can be (1 min, only way to heal would be JAs and items), you'll want to Larceny SV. Aura Steal after Clarsach Call is cool. Also weak to dark and piercing, and absorbs wind, so don't use Frag or Light.

• Onychophora: A very nice fight for THF. Make sure your crew knows to all use WSs that won't SC together (ie: only use Mandalic/Shun/Upheaval) to bypass his summoning adds and using instant wipe WS. This leaves only his absorb phases gimmick to deal with. Save wings/Monarchs and stuff for below 50% when he's in phys absorb. Ready TA or SA during these phases as well, so you can get the most from your timers, and thus greater spikes in damage.

• Schah: Very tricky fight with melees due to the aoe statuses and damage. Amnesia, paralyze, bind, plague, etc. Whatever your setup is, kill speed on the adds is paramount, so coordinating SCs can help tremendously. THF doesn't really have anything unique to bring to this fight, so it's up to you.

• Erinys: Until people figure out how to break his aura, THF will be the top job for this (and even after, yay piercing bonus). Make that Magian TP Bonus dagger for offhand and get some Regain gear. STP gear for wings and Quick Draw helps too. SC doesn't matter cuz he resists them heavily.

• Albumen: Piercing weak, no special magic weaknesses. Aura Steal can be handy for Phaeosynthesis sometimes. He also uses 1hrs, which while not especially threatening, you might as well grab a Hundred Fists or something. Watch out for Counter.

• Vinipata: Very strong to piercing, lots of high damage and bad status. This is a bad fight for THF, and I would suggest altering your strategy or changing jobs.

• Zerde: PDT, aoe regular attacks, and a WS you need to stun to make the fight manageable, this is another fight where THF wouldn't work very well (but anything's possible). Considering his proc is to get hit with lots of Fire damage (his weakness), meleeing this is a little silly.

[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-20 16:36:40  
Does anyone use a third ambuscade cape? I have STP and WSDMG ones already (with dex, acc/atk), so wondering if anyone made a third which is not a dual wield piece for salvage?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-20 16:42:19  
Having a FC cape is really useful for Utsusemi or even doing stuff /RDM or /BLM (Salvage, farming dumb old areas). I think most people would put defensive stuff (AGI/INT/MND and Meva/Eva) on it, but I'm lazy and just went with INT/Macc/Mdmg and I'm content with using it for Aeolian Edge, Lunge, /BLM nuke farming, etc.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-20 16:49:28  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Having a FC cape is really useful for Utsusemi or even doing stuff /RDM or /BLM (Salvage, farming dumb old areas). I think most people would put defensive stuff (AGI/INT/MND and Meva/Eva) on it, but I'm lazy and just went with INT/Macc/Mdmg and I'm content with using it for Aeolian Edge, Lunge, /BLM nuke farming, etc.

I do like to use Aeolian Edge.. I don't use /rdm or /blm too often, but anytime I need some magic damage I have an AE set. Perhaps INT, Macc/Dmg and WSdmg would be best?
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2016-10-20 16:57:53  
Quote:
INT/Macc/Mdmg and I'm content with using it for Aeolian Edge,

I have my doubts that that even beats a 30 DEX/10WSD mantle for Aeolian Edge.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-20 17:01:56  
Siren.Kyte said: »
Quote:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Could just use my WS mantle for that. I'm pretty stumped lol.
 Sylph.Oraen
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2016-10-20 17:03:06  
Evis has fallen by the wayside these days, but a crit rate cape would be great for it. If nothing else, it's still incorporated in multistep darks.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-10-20 17:07:02  
Sylph.Oraen said: »
Evis has fallen by the wayside these days, but a crit rate cape would be great for it. If nothing else, it's still incorporated in multistep darks.

Yeah I was thinking about making one, but I was hoping for something different. I also thought about an AGI cape just for Trick attack, but TA is literally non-existent these days, even more so on its own with no WS.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-20 20:42:28  
Quote:
I'm not sure how the calculation works in regards to dINT, and I think it would depend on whatever else you're wearing and what enemy. Since I have both, I could give them a shot in a few situations (fodder, Vagary, Escha) and see how they do.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-10-20 23:59:21  
Quote:
I'm not sure how the calculation works in regards to dINT, and I think it would depend on whatever else you're wearing and what enemy. Since I have both, I could give them a shot in a few situations (fodder, Vagary, Escha) and see how they do.

For AE INT is going to beat DEX as DEX/INT are same mod and then dINT is the multiplier. WSD should beat MAB though, but that makes it so it doesn't double dip for lunge.

As for Ambuscade capes, here are the ones I currently have:

STPback={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','Accuracy+10','"Store TP"+10',}}
WSback={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','DEX+10','Weapon skill damage +10%',}}
DWback={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','"Dual Wield"+10',}}
FCback={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'HP+60','Eva.+20 /Mag. Eva.+20','Mag. Evasion+10','"Fast Cast"+10',}}
Critback={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','DEX+10','Crit.hit rate+10',}}
Exenback={ name="Toutatis's Cape", augments={'AGI+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','AGI+10','"Dbl.Atk."+10',}}

STPback is for standard melee. WSback for your general dex ws, DW back for when I'm lacking sufficient haste, FC back for my idle piece and spells and Mageva set, Crit for evisc and Exen for exen. AE is probably my cape if I can get myself to login to beat the frogs for this month.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-21 00:21:17  
We know that, it's a question of whether DEX/WSD would beat INT/Macc/Mdmg. The idea was really more to minimize the amount of capes to carry.
By Boshi 2016-10-21 00:35:03  
Dex/wsd wins
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-10-21 00:47:52  
We know that, it's a question of whether DEX/WSD would beat INT/Macc/Mdmg. The idea was really more to minimize the amount of capes to carry.

Well, that's also going to be based a bit on your other gear. Do we have a full set for AE too? If so, I wonder why consolidating capes is a huge concern if you're going that all out, but I know in your case (as is mine) that's because of the RUN and THF overlap, which helps consolidate gear in the overall anyway. If you have a full set, the WSD will almost certainly win out over MAB, even if it's DEX over INT. The base damage increases isn't that significant for AE last I mathed it out.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-10-21 01:17:49  
I think you're misreading what I'm saying. There was never a question about using MAB augment (this is on a INT/Macc/Mdmg/FC cape) nor any neglect to notice other pieces of gear. Just comparing the two capes, which ultimately will depend on the enemy/location.

dINT and Macc are probably going to be capped in anything below 119, especially Abyssea, so I don't question that DEX/WSD would win there (either is overkill). It changes in something like Vagary though, which is where I'm actually concerned about how much damage I'm going to do, and whether I'll get resisted or not.
 Asura.Ladyofhonor
By Asura.Ladyofhonor 2016-10-21 01:29:19  
If magic accuracy is any sort of an issue there's only one option on the table.
 Siren.Chinzu
サーバ: Siren
user: Chinzu
By Siren.Chinzu 2016-10-21 16:01:22  
Sylph.Oraen said: »
Asura.Kiyarasubrosa said: »
Well, keep in mind majority of end game players are very ignorant/elitist so expect most groups to go DD = "BLU or gtfo". Meta jobs are PLD, WHM, BLM, COR, GEO, BLU, BST, and SCH. I have to prove myself as a thief to get into end game events and I am still improving myself. It's a struggle. If it was that easy, then every thief would be in an end game LS having the best gear.

That's idiotic PUGs that say that ***. Every endgame shell knows better than that idiotic drivel. My shell consistently clears HELMs and I am literally the only BLU involved.

You can continue to defeat yourself and play the victim all you'd like, or you can open your eyes and realize that organized endgame and PUG shouts for Ambuscade are actually a little different.
By mrlooolz 2016-11-01 06:10:13  
Hello. Can someone give me some basic sets I should shoot for? I already have the information sorted out for daggers. Or maybe ya'all can share some sets? Also any popular Lua around. I do this for most of my jobs. Pick a lua, understand it then tailor it to my equip.
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-11-02 13:51:09  
I deleted my THF spreadhsheet and would really like a current one. Could anyone post theirs? I tried going back a few pages, but no luck. Thanks.
 Odin.Ewellina
サーバ: Odin
user: colway
By Odin.Ewellina 2016-11-03 07:36:56  
need to know best combo of daggers baring the folowing daggers:
taming sari (str +3, dex +3)
2 x shijo
malevolence (int+9, macc +10, mab +9, FC+4),
Nibiru knife,
Atoyac,
Sandung (can upgrade).

Currently using taming in main and a shijo path D in offhand, and compensating for the extra DW in tp sets by not using suppa. (im also only at 40JP).
Is there a better combination? please include paths for augments. thanks
By Rezwobwastaken 2016-11-03 09:34:59  
Does anyone have a tier list for daggers?
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-11-03 10:58:25  
Rezwobwastaken said: »
Does anyone have a tier list for daggers?

There's no tier list, it depends on what you're doing. If you're choosing between an RMEA to make, the only one that most people would agree seems fairly lackluster is Mandua. Twashtar/Aeneas/Vajra are all good and it just depends on what you're doing as to what is best.
By Rezwobwastaken 2016-11-03 11:39:18  
Sorry I should have been more specific which non rme would be best?
 Neb
By Neb 2016-11-03 11:49:45  
For Main
Good Augment Skinflayer
Taming Sari Max Augment

For Off hand
Shijo
Sandung

IMO for non RMEA's
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2016-11-03 11:55:07  
from "Fresh 99 thief starting gear" thread

Non-RMEA dagger notes:

STARTING DAGGERS - You can get these within a day, realistically
  • eminent dagger (7000 Sparks from RoE NPCs): Can't go wrong with this.

• homestead dagger (30000 Bayld from Craggy Bluff in East Adoulin): A decent counterpart to Eminent Dagger, and will make Reives (should you do them) much faster. I still carry one in case I want to do Wildskeeper Reives. If you're short on bayld, spamming low level skirmishes can be effective, or trade in unwanted WKR/RoE gear to Runje Desaali in East Adoulin.

• atoyac (Tchakka or Mog Kupon AW-WK): As it can be augmented with Prah Janimhar in West Adoulin to have Occasionally Attacks Twice, this dagger will be extremely useful for offhand on anything where accuracy isn't an issue. Other recommended augments may vary based on how you gear and play, but you can't really go wrong with STP, WSD, Crit Rate, or Crit Damage.

• leisilonu +2 (Old Skirmish or Mog Kupon W-SCC): I would only suggest this because the Kupon is pretty easy to get. You'd likely retire it very quickly, even if you tried augmenting it (augmenting this sucks).

INTERMEDIATE DAGGERS - You might need help to get any of these daggers. Their relative performance will depend on the rest of your gear and buffs.
  • izhiikoh (Dakuwaqa, Foret de Hennetiel Delve superboss): A very well-rounded dagger, only surpassed these days because newer daggers do what it can and more. Delve requires 3 people for entry though, and Dakuwaqa isn't easy for beginners, so you'll likely need support from either experienced friends, a LS, or a capable pick-up group. Can also be bought from Forri-Porri for 200k plasm, but that's a steep price for a replaceable dagger.

• Ipetam (Alluvion Skirmish Rala, or Mog Kupon W-ASRW): With the RoE Intermediate, you could get one of these solo relatively easily. Requires good augments to beat Izhiikoh, so you might want to just use it in the short term and throw some cheap stones until you replace it.

• jugo kukri +1 (Vedrfolnir, Cape Teriggan Unity NM): Amazing offhand dagger, though you'll probably replace it with Taming Sari or Shijo. Massive jump in difference between this and the NQ; don't settle for the NQ, though dual wielding them is actually pretty decent. Could probably get this with shouting for help, as the NM is popular and not terribly difficult. Unity Event going on this month as well, so you've got a greater chance for getting this.

• Sandung (Oboro JSE Weapon): This dagger is pretty expensive these days, and isn't particularly useful unless you can fully augment it (requires beating Rhapsodies of Vana'diel), further increasing the cost. No real long-term use either, as the accuracy augment doesn't compare to it's low benefits. Pre-augments, it's pretty awful. With augments, it's fine, but it'll still lose to a Taming Sari. I would highly recommend against making one since your gil can be better spent.

• ternion dagger +1 (Mephitas, Garlaige Citadel Unity NM): Not that great, as it lacks DEX and has lower skill than the rest. Probably the weakest of these daggers, but it's still better than the starting daggers.

• Odium (Plouton, Vagary superboss): A good mainhand dagger, and the added jobs are a nice bonus. Roughly par with Izhiikoh. Added death is pretty rare.

HIGH-END DAGGERS
  • shijo (Amymone, Escha - Ru'Aun 125 NM): Path D is ideal, though bear in mind that the extra 5 DW may hurt you if you're over the amount you need. Great to offhand with Taming Sari main.

• taming sari (Sinister Reign; requires beating Adoulin Missions): Best non-RMEA dagger. Only reason not to use this would be for utility purposes. Requires a bit of luck to get, though, and more so to get the max augments. With crap augments, it's still better than most other daggers. This should be your eventual target if you don't want to make a RMEA. Using two is an option and a very strong combo, especially for the accuracy.

• Skinflayer (Strophadia, Reisenjima 135 NM): With good augments, it can potentially rival Taming Sari, but more often than not it falls short. Probably easier to get though.

• malevolence (Sinister Reign; requires beating Adoulin Missions): Best Aeolian/magic damage dagger, not impressive melee damage though. Even with crap augments it's pretty great.

SKIPPABLE DAGGERS
  • nanti knife (AH or crafted): Doesn't really provide much, especially for the cost. Save your gil for better investments.

• blurred knife/+1 (AH or crafted): There are some people who might suggest this, but for the most part it's not really useful for THF (only provides Haste and some acc). In most situations, you'll be getting Haste anyway, either from players or support trusts. The only places you might not would be something like Salvage (assuming you're not /RDM).

• Everything Else: The rest either come from harder content than better daggers, or are otherwise not worth the investment. If you do happen upon an improvement by chance (like from the daily Goblin Box), then by all means use it until you can replace it.

Odin.Ewellina
サーバ: Odin
user: colway
By Odin.Ewellina 2016-11-03 12:29:57  
much apreciated for the info. Coincidently my judgement on my daggers were prety correct then, tamin main shijo D off
By Verda 2016-11-03 13:28:51  
Shijo A is what I would use tbh going by spreadsheets, if you don't need the dw.
 Neb
By Neb 2016-11-03 15:12:26  
I would t the Dex from D out parse the dmg from A since ws dmg is most of our output?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-11-03 16:13:18  
D is superior provided you're not overdoing the DW. It can shift more in A's favor if you're starved for attack.
By Boshi 2016-11-03 16:58:46  
Issue with shijo arizes once you hit 550 jp. If you're using adhemar body (which is the normal standard these days) in magic capped situations it's gonna put you over on dw.

Could go and set out to make a competitive fern Ta4 herc body to justify shijoD ... but that's a whole 'nother endeavor.

Side note: jugo still nice to keep around if you're doing something like farming dynamis where every ws is gonna overkill every mob
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2016-11-04 01:46:51  
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
I deleted my THF spreadhsheet and would really like a current one. Could anyone post theirs? I tried going back a few pages, but no luck. Thanks.

mlem
First Page 2 3 ... 147 148 149 ... 262 263 264