フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 241 242 243 ... 262 263 264
 Quetzalcoatl.Khajit
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Khajit
By Quetzalcoatl.Khajit 2021-05-14 03:41:45  
I almost never get full buffs so I've been able to be lazy, but those acc mode toggles for ws seem kinda useless for thf under normal circumstances and easily repurposed into atk cap sets under most lua.
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Timepassesbye 2021-05-14 06:07:38  
Asura.Buffyslyph said: »
1. Assuming I have a mastered thf and the TH3 job trait, does that mean I need +5 in gear for the initial +8?

2. Do I need to have +11 in gear to eventually proc up to TH14 or can I do it in my +5 in gear? From reading the thread there is quite a lot of discourse on this question, and I'm not trying to troll. Asked another way, if I'm +5 in gear can I get TH procs that go up to TH14 or will I cap at TH8?

so as was stated, yes, you would only need an additional TH 5 in gear to get your base 8.

regarding how you then get to 14- there is some confusion on this topic, but with each melee attack, you have a chance to proc TH and add another level.
things that increase that chance
-crit hits
-weapon skills
-sneak attack
-trick attack
-feint (at 5/5 it doubles your proc chance on the next attack despite the numbers saying 100%)

there is no clear cut math on this formula, but the generally understood concept is that when you attack, you have a % chance to proc to the next tier. beyond being effected by the above variables, there is an innate chance that is calculated by your current TH gear compared to your current TH level.

so for arguments sake, let's say you have TH 8 in gear, so your base hit will proc TH 8
I'm making these numbers up for this argument, but there is some information floating around with similar margins.

let's say the chance on a TH proc is 1%, so at level TH 8 with 8 gear, you have a 1% chance of getting a level up. if you get to 9, then you have a 8/9* 1% chance on another level up.

inversely, if you had TH 14 in gear and your base proc was 8, then all subsequent hits would apply a 14/8 * 1% chance to level up.

bottom line is that if you're going for TH procs, there is some merit to having higher TH gear in your SA/Ta/feint sets.

this being said, THF does attack very fast, and you can fairly easily get most mobs that take longer then 2 minutes to kill up to level 11 as long as you're using those abilities on cool-down.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
サーバ: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-14 17:47:32  
Isn't it still inconclusive whether TH above 8 actually helps proc rates further? I thought there was a more recent test implying that it probably didn't.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-14 17:53:04  
Probably means probably, not certainly

To quote other arguments: There aren't 15 million data points, test bad.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2021-05-14 17:56:11  
Yeah, but Timepassesbye was acting like the opposite (TH above 8 helps proc rate) was a known fact.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-14 18:02:59  
And some people still think TH affects Dring.

Never going to change.
[+]
By Triffle 2021-05-17 08:32:48  
Anyone have any updated sets or is the community guide on bgwiki fairly good?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-17 08:40:20  
Community guide is up to date as of yesterday

Still a note about not adding Nyame yet though.
[+]
 Bahamut.Balduran
サーバ: Bahamut
user: balduran
By Bahamut.Balduran 2021-05-19 06:34:33  
I am looking for the best Club to use on thief, can anyone please recommend? It's needed at Master Trial Black and White against the Yagudo, where I'll be mainly using dagger but will need it as a substitute for the warrior incase he gets KOed. It's an unusual setup but we are redoing it for job diversification and fun.

As per the strategy, the club WS will be True Strike.
 Asura.Gesetz
user: Cptjoe
By Asura.Gesetz 2021-05-19 07:04:02  
Bahamut.Balduran said: »
I am looking for the best Club to use on thief, can anyone please recommend? It's needed at Master Trial Black and White against the Yagudo, where I'll be mainly using dagger but will need it as a substitute for the warrior incase he gets KOed. It's an unusual setup but we are redoing it for job diversification and fun.

As per the strategy, the club WS will be True Strike.
Mafic Cudgel as far as I know.
[+]
By Triffle 2021-05-24 16:01:23  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Community guide is up to date as of yesterday

Still a note about not adding Nyame yet though.

Not full up to date concerning which daggers are best to use. That's mainly what I've been wondering. I've got every dagger except Gleti's Knife and Vajra. I still see Aenas/Twashtar as the best combo on there, but are combos like Twastar/Cento or Ternion+1 still better? Is there a use for Aenas once I augment my Twashtar fully?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Avereith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-05-24 16:28:33  
I prefer the tauret, and I have a twashtar/aeneas/cento/etc

It's just less fuss overall in terms of gameplay style, and nearly as good as anything else for 100x less the work in making it

And as the type of person who is now currently strapped for room in wardrobes, I regret even making a glass cannon-thf tp set and a rudras ws set back in the day. malignance hybrid tp and crit ws evis set only plz
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-05-24 16:51:47  
I don't know what spicy's methods entail, but he uses Aeneas/Twashtar as best. There's really no info on why and he cannot explain it here.

The sheet he goes off of may even have errors. I don't know. You can ask him on BG or Discord. ("we" need "the current" THF spreadsheet fixed up and added new stuff)

BG thread
 Shiva.Berzerk
サーバ: Shiva
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2021-05-24 17:02:39  
I use Twash/cento, Naegling/cento if not supposed to be SCing or slash weakness

EDIT: To be clear I don't really use THF on anything where I'd have accuracy problems and am well buffed a majority of the time, otherwise I'd probably consider some other options.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2021-05-26 13:11:31  
I was looking into adjusting my TP set

Twashtar
Centovente
Full maglinances
Aurgelmir Orb
Asn. Gorget +2
Reiki Yotai
Telos Earring
Sherida Earring
Gere Ring
Epona's Ring
Toutatis's Cape
- DEX+30
- Accuracy+20
- Attack+20
- DEX+10
- Store TP+10
- Phys. dmg. taken-10%

THis is a total of
STP 78
TA 18
DA 9
napkin math ( not taking anit accoun TA/da interaction) tha is around 258% increased STP

- changinh rings to chiric i drop down to 239%
- Changin cape from STP to DA i 260% a small gain of 2%pts + now there is more dmg in the tp phase
- Changin eponas to petrov dropped me to 251% TP gain
- Changing telos to ceassenace gave me 259% a miniscule boost of 1%pts but also slightly more white dmg

- changin both telos to ceassran and cape to have DA i got 261% a small gains of 3pts and again slighty more white dmg

my point is here that if we are using malignance set for tp phase the value of STP drops and the value of extra attack increases (simple multiplication fact)

disclaimer: this do not take into accounts for any other tthings like droped hitrate if you needed the acc. only TP gaing from STP and extra attakcs
By SimonSes 2021-05-26 13:42:30  
THF has 19% base TA with merits. So thats 37%TA total. You cant ignore how that impact gains from DA. 63% of DA effectiveness is not the same as 100%. You cant use "napkin math" here XD
By Crossbones 2021-05-26 15:49:43  
Personally I find using twash mh in full malignance really painful and I just swap to another dagger if that's what I'm wearing, at least most of the time. A huge perk of twash is white damage and full malignance really cuts into that hard.
[+]
By DaneBlood 2021-05-26 19:54:01  
SimonSes said: »
THF has 19% base TA with merits. So thats 37%TA total. You cant ignore how that impact gains from DA. 63% of DA effectiveness is not the same as 100%. You cant use "napkin math" here XD

You are absolutely correct
and i did the math again with taking into affect TA negative effect on DA procs.

STP10 and DA10 came out the same in this regards (less than 1% difference with no futher buffs
but DA cape won a small ground taking sam rolls into account
lost ground with fighters rolls
gained small ground if both where running

but again this is only taking into account STP vs multiattacks for TP generation
considering that multi attack also comes with increased white dmg i would take it over STP as long as tp gain remains the same

Then again you can argue that you are also feeding more tp to the mob.

No rolls
STP cape 255.2%
DA cape 254.7

Sam rolls
STP cape 312.6%
DA cape 315.3%

Fighters rolls
STP cape 281.5%
DA Cape 279.5%

Sam + fighters rolls
STP cape 344.7%
DA cape 346.0%

Howe i realized another error.
i only accounts for THF99 TA1 trait. not anything from job points.

--- edit---
and buja yup adding in the full 19% base TA turned the table
 Asura.Aburaage
By Asura.Aburaage 2021-06-15 14:50:44  
Anyone know if Steal accuracy is only based on +Steal gears, or is phys/magic accuracy a factor? Looking at AF legs/hands it's weird that the +2/3 no longer have +steal
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-06-15 14:53:41  
They did it to consolidate text.

Far as accuracy of steal, don't think anyone really knows, there's only ever been 2 instances of stealing really being worthwhile.
[+]
 Shiva.Flowen
user: Flowen255
By Shiva.Flowen 2021-06-15 14:58:27  
Asura.Aburaage said: »
Anyone know if Steal accuracy is only based on +Steal gears, or is phys/magic accuracy a factor? Looking at AF legs/hands it's weird that the +2/3 no longer have +steal

Pretty sure the only factors are mob level (compared to the stealer) and + steal gear. Back in the day there were various theories.. low mob hp, from behind etc, but I dont think any were proven.
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2021-06-19 13:55:20  
Looking to improve my Savage Blade set across a few jobs, THF included.

Things of note: Rufescent Ring can obviously be upgraded but no luck with Ilabrat or Regal ring yet. The Yetshila is also useless unless the SB is stacked. Any other things I'm missing or might perform better?

ItemSet 380336
 Shiva.Berzerk
user: Berzerk06
By Shiva.Berzerk 2021-06-19 14:26:52  
ItemSet 380337

I'd think this is BiS, but what you have is very good until you can get to other pieces.

Herculean body with STR+10-15/WSD+4-5%, acc/atk, herc feet might be good with similar augs but idk how it compares to lustratio+1 feet.
[+]
 Cerberus.Aerandir
user: aerandir
By Cerberus.Aerandir 2021-06-19 14:59:48  
Asura.Aburaage said: »
I vaguely remember a dev post about the npc-sale-value of an item being stolen being used to determine the steal rate, but I am unable to find it now. It would certainly explain why beastcoins and bone chips are so easily stolen but other more valuable items are harder to get.

My personal superstition has been "steal from behind after applying feint", and I have heard a few talk about magic accuracy possibly being relevant, but I have absolutely zero fact-based-data to back either of these up.
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-06-20 21:11:06  
Quote:
there's only ever been 2 instances of stealing really being worthwhile.

Which is why there's no point in carrying around gear for steal. S-E was always too afraid to add anything valuable to the steal pool because they were afraid RMT would abuse it. The best stuff to steal nowadays is buffs with aura steal.

Quote:
It would certainly explain why beastcoins and bone chips are so easily stolen but other more valuable items are harder to get.

What more valuable items are there? Did they add something to the game I'm not aware of? The most valuable thing I can think of that you can yoink nowadays is single I. card currency from dynamis D beastmen, and that's hardly worth lugging around a crate of gear for a niche set to try and get more often. I'd rather just aura steal a warcry and be done with it.
[+]
 Asura.Bynebill
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2021-07-03 09:17:30  
Is gleti being used in evisceration sets now? (atk cap and non cap versions).

Also is gleti knife our best evisc offhand if you don't have rudra?
 Cerberus.Aerandir
user: aerandir
By Cerberus.Aerandir 2021-07-03 13:54:13  
Quote:
The most valuable thing I can think of that you can yoink nowadays is single I. card currency from dynamis D beastmen, and that's hardly worth lugging around a crate of gear for a niche set to try and get more often.
Pretty much exactly that -- I remember Gold/Platinum beastcoins being quality steals before they fixed deaggro-respawning resetting steal tables, and you could end up with a very small handful of singles from 75-cap-Dynamis.

I also remember trying to steal Agaricus from Coppercaps in Gustaberg [S]. There was something weird with a successful steal on a Funguar physically removing a mushroom from its head, and preventing one of the "-shroom" abilities (Queasy, Numb, Shake), forcing it to use the next available one from its head. Coppercaps would have access to "Agaricus" instead of one of the other shrooms, and if you could get them to use the other two -shroom attacks before the steal, it meant you would attempt to steal the Agaricus item instead of Sleep/Woozyshrooms. You were almost always better off just farming more of them, but farming was super boring back then, especially on low drop rate items, so it spiced things up to have something else to focus on...
[+]
By Slowforever 2021-07-04 01:14:18  
Hey guys im making the 1000 tp dagger and the trials split at trial 1134. Im unsure what path to go since they are named the same. Also one of the paths says I need to do evisercation and I dont have that. Hope its not this path ; ;

Too add to this I am looking at this and the aeonic dagger for entry level big dmg- where does this 1000 tp dagger fall off? I run about 1400 acc atm on brd, plan to use with thf also. I'm curious what are some fun things you do with the aeonic and the 1000 tp dagger? The dmg must be pretty crazy.
 Asura.Bynebill
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2021-07-04 01:29:52  
Dagger Trials

scroll down til you see TP bonus weapon.

Trial order = 1133 > 1134 > 1135 > 1136 > 1907 > 2305 > 2738 > 3201
By SimonSes 2021-07-04 02:44:44  
Slowforever said: »
Hey guys im making the 1000 tp dagger and the trials split at trial 1134. Im unsure what path to go since they are named the same. Also one of the paths says I need to do evisercation and I dont have that. Hope its not this path ; ;

Too add to this I am looking at this and the aeonic dagger for entry level big dmg- where does this 1000 tp dagger fall off? I run about 1400 acc atm on brd, plan to use with thf also. I'm curious what are some fun things you do with the aeonic and the 1000 tp dagger? The dmg must be pretty crazy.

Not really that insane. On THF you will waste some of that tp bonus going above 1250tp anyway. Twashtar is much better with tp bonus dagger on THF. Naegling is unfortunately (*** Naegling monopoly...) better on BRD (on THF maybe too in non glassy build. I haven't checked tbh).
First Page 2 3 ... 241 242 243 ... 262 263 264