フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
For the Shinies! A Guide for Thief
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 264 265 266
 Asura.Pentacat
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: saiko
By Asura.Pentacat 2013-04-16 00:01:31  
More dex for crits while trying to proc TH?
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-16 00:18:18  
Asura.Pentacat said: »

Sneak attack generally covers that. I can't really see the point in keeping it just to raise TH due to the dex on it, I could use Lokis if I wanted more crits.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-16 00:32:52  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Sneak attack generally covers that. I can't really see the point in keeping it just to raise TH due to the dex on it, I could use Lokis if I wanted more crits.

Has there ever been any conclusive testing or an admission from SE that TH upgrade rate is higher on critical hits outside of SATA?

Edit: only thing i remember seeing from SE recently about TH was confirming that the higher the TH you have on the greater the chance to upgrade, something about feint supposed to be 100% upgrade when 5/5, and testing that TH level does scale correctly.
 Cerberus.Kylos
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2013-04-16 00:34:59  
Odin.Jassik said: »

Has there ever been any conclusive testing or an admission from SE that TH upgrade rate is higher on critical hits outside of SATA?

I don't know, I don't really think about it, because we know you could hold a mob and try and pile on as much TH as you can, theres still a chance the thing you are after won't drop, so no need to specially gear for raising TH levels except putting in TH gear.
 Asura.Pentacat
user: saiko
By Asura.Pentacat 2013-04-16 00:42:25  

I don't know, I don't really think about it, because we know you could hold a mob and try and pile on as much TH as you can, theres still a chance the thing you are after won't drop, so no need to specially gear for raising TH levels except putting in TH gear.

I've only noticed TH rising on crits. I could have sworn this was tested and put on a wiki somewhere.

As for not getting the drop or whatever, 99% of the time it's THFs only job, so I make sure to always do my best at it.
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2013-04-16 09:15:06  
the th upgrade animation looks like a crit, but check the actual log message.
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2013-04-16 09:43:59  
the th upgrade animation looks like a crit, but check the actual log message.

A crit with enlight proc ;P
By Otomis 2013-04-19 02:36:20  
Just for the sake of my own curiosity being a mandau twashtar owner, working on getting both 99 some day. The new macoquetza dagger I found to be a concern. I know other have stated it would not end up being an issue as 99 relic and empy dagger will still be the top notch. My wonder is by how much would they remain to be so? Really would hate to see 99 mandau to just become an off hand dagger tot his. No matter how I stretch the numbers or tweak the gear sets the macoquetza pales to a 99 mandau, and even to a 99 Twashtar. It is completely out classed by a very far margin for Thfs wishing to use 99Mandau/99Twashtar set up.

As I said I know it was stated bunch, just for my own security had to sit and play with the possibilities. glad to see other are correct in their statements and all of our hard work is proven > then just some high damage.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-04-19 11:55:23  
Odin.Godofgods said: »
Ragnarok.Flippant said: »
chocaliztli mask: Best headpiece for Exen and TA Mercy; reasonable TP headpiece (as in, pretty much +/- with Nemetona, Skadi +1, and Khepri depending on situation), but I'm assuming it's going to be difficult to get, so you're probably better off with easier choices like Neme or Skadi +1.
xux trousers: Mmm, best evasion hybrid pants? Haven't looked at daggers yet and, since nothing totally stuck out to me, I probably won't for a while.
any idea how these are aquired?

Any update on these?
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-04-19 12:01:20  
Otomis said: »
being a mandau twashtar owner, working on getting both 99 some day...Really would hate to see 99 mandau to just become an off hand dagger tot his.

99twash 55 dmg 176 delay 20 dex offhand
99mandau 55 dmg 176 delay 0 attk offhand.

If theres ever gonna be a time mandau gets outclassed as a mainhand, it wouldnt beat 99 twash offhand anyway.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Enceladus
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-04-19 14:56:00  
Ragnarok.Flippant said: »
chocaliztli mask: Best headpiece for Exen and TA Mercy; reasonable TP headpiece (as in, pretty much +/- with Nemetona, Skadi +1, and Khepri depending on situation), but I'm assuming it's going to be difficult to get, so you're probably better off with easier choices like Neme or Skadi +1.
xux trousers: Mmm, best evasion hybrid pants? Haven't looked at daggers yet and, since nothing totally stuck out to me, I probably won't for a while.
any idea how these are aquired?

Any update on these?

Tchakka and Colkhab, respectively.

Also want to amend my statement that Thurandaut are best hands for Exen when otherwise 3/5 Thaumas. Skadi+1 is better in situations that fSTR is not capped, as per Malizia's post. Too bad I only checked after I bought them ;<
By Otomis 2013-04-19 22:58:40  
Anyone want to double check this set for me. Seems this may be the better haste set to go with now since we have confirmed that thuran head is 5% DW.
ItemSet 297558

As opposed to this set of course.

ItemSet 248837
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-04-19 23:02:15  
If the 1st set does win, wouldnt you swap legs to skadi+1 for the initial set bonus of 3% crit rate?
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-04-20 01:08:39  
I don't see Thurandaut Chapeau winning unless you need the accuracy, in which case, you'd want to stick to Thaumas Kecks.
 Sylph.Krsone
By Sylph.Krsone 2013-04-20 01:19:28  
True indeed, for a min I thought it was 17 acc 7 attk on the skadi pants is why (the 1 piece of skadi ive not done yet) the mask and sash are giving a decent ammount of attack too.
By Otomis 2013-04-20 01:37:57  
yes I thought loosing the crit rate and attack would lesson th possibilities of using the first set. But just playing around with gear swapping things in and out I came across it with XML. Mithra 12/12 Str/Dex Yellow Curry, no other fancies turned on beside haste samba from /Dnc. Seem ot be a solid win across multi Lv's of looking at it.
By Otomis 2013-04-20 06:44:31  
Another interesting though is Leisilonu, which when shown via stream augmented with NQ stone gave the 3 Str and 4 Dex with 3 additional damage. This being the case what would be be looking at for higher augment upgrades? even with only those upgrades it becomes a respectable off hand.
 Asura.Karbuncle
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2013-04-20 10:15:52  
one of the better Augments on Leislonu has it about DMG:66 and Critical Hit Rate +5%.

Its on the JP WIki as far as i know, SOrry i don't have an exact link but its somewhere in the "Skirmish" Thread on BG.
 Ragnarok.Flippant
By Ragnarok.Flippant 2013-04-20 15:08:56  
JP Wiki link

DMG+14 Crit rate+5 is the max augment reported so far, but it seems in spreadsheet, it only needs DMG+10 (with no crit rate) to beat 99 Twash offhand; even when it sweet spot, it's close enough when it's not still ahead that I'd call it a better offhand than 99 Twash overall.

Been sitting on 1400 plates and 60 dross for a month in debate ;l
 Sylph.Agentblade
By Sylph.Agentblade 2013-04-20 15:52:02  
If Th doesnt proc on DA/TA hits, would it be safe to assume to add crit. hit rate / damage gear in slots not being used up by TH gear? Or if Acc not capped, a hybrid of both?

*Edit: while still keeping 26% haste!
By Otomis 2013-04-20 18:17:52  
Sylph.Agentblade said: »
If Th doesnt proc on DA/TA hits, would it be safe to assume to add crit. hit rate / damage gear in slots not being used up by TH gear? Or if Acc not capped, a hybrid of both?

*Edit: while still keeping 26% haste!

Aye I use a fully different gear set for TH haste with high crit rate. And I never take my TH gear off at all on bosses that the myth says it will effect, lol. IE NQ salvage II bosses for that extra chance at alex. I use a different macro line for DPS when just clearing things out or farming dyna, I mean is it just me or has everyone else found wear TH gear in dyna about useless.
 Odin.Godofgods
By Odin.Godofgods 2013-04-20 18:20:02  
Reps made a post about it a good while back. Taking TH gear off wont effect th value on a mob. But taking it off, will make it less likly to increase the th value while attacking.
 Ragnarok.Lulo
user: Lulo
By Ragnarok.Lulo 2013-04-21 05:07:04  
For SA mercy would heca cap+1 (da+3 attack+10) win on thurandaut or?
By Otomis 2013-04-22 12:33:51  
Ragnarok.Lulo said: »
For SA mercy would heca cap+1 (da+3 attack+10) win on thurandaut or?

I have thuran winning but but so very little they are almost equal if you have 10 attack and 3DA
 Cerberus.Caius
user: Lavid
By Cerberus.Caius 2013-04-24 13:38:48  
I know I'm behind in the times. I don't have rudras or mercy but for solo TA/SA do JA's not reset delay? isn't keeping a bunch of haste and Dual wield gear on just silly? SA/TA is just going to do less dmg than it could. If you happen to attack faster in the next attack round by keeping all of that haste/DW gear on, are you really increasing your DoT that much? Making up the missed SA/TA dmg and attacking a bit faster?

I know most people just use TA/SA for increasing TH but i just like to get the most out of it when i use it, seems silly to handi-cap it.

Side question as well....Thurandaut tabard for TA, is that going to pull away from lokis and/or Athos's bodies crit dmg? Or is that just more keeping haste instead of increased dmg gear?
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2013-04-24 13:53:55  
People use haste/dw gear for sa/ta to advance the next attack round, not make the SA/TA round come out faster.
 Cerberus.Caius
user: Lavid
By Cerberus.Caius 2013-04-24 13:56:53  
Yeah i guess thats what i meant, didnt explain myself very well.
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-04-25 02:17:07  
Sylph.Malizia said: »

Evasion Hybrid Set
ItemSet 296002

Krsone is also responsible for this set too, but the idea behind it is pretty simple: take your TP set, remove the minor DPS pieces, and add evasion in those slots. So, while this set is built around having the Goal TP set, you can still make the concept work with any TP set you currently have.

So, say we're working off the base TP set? You'd also want to replace the neck, back, and one of the rings. You don't want to swap out the Twilight belt, but you should be ok swapping out assassin's poulaines +2 for raider's poulaines +2 for the huge evasion bonus. ocelot trousers are also an excellent leg piece here.

Also, obviously not everyone has a defending ring, but excellent alternate options include the portus annulet or an alert ring.

another great combination is, or in general to consider is panthalassa sash when you pair it in the set above with raider's poulaines +2 you get +15 Agi, +21Evasion,(+11AGi+18Evasion on Sigyn+Scouts) you can also add Bendis's hairpin or to use this belt together with Ocelot Pants when Xux is not availible

kinda this:

ItemSet 298342

This set as hybrid focus more on evasion for tradng in some att/str/dex. What is better? i dont know.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2013-04-25 13:57:19  
Sylph.Malizia said: »
STR. This is your WS damage modifier, at 60%. Since the fTP of Mercy Stroke is 3, Your base damage is modified by 3*0.6 = 1.8 per point of STR. STR also increases your base damage indirectly thanks to attack bonuses and fSTR.

DEX/AGI. This is added to your base damage thanks to your Sneak/Trick Attack. If you're using Raider's Armlets +2, it's 1.2 * DEX for Sneak Attack,

as i recall it the ws dmg is (D+fSTR+WSC)*fTP

so the added effect into base dmg from SA is also multiplied by fTP .
its not said in the above guide which could leade to believe str is better than dex in you SA set

the guide says
0.6*3ftp = 1.8 for str
1.2 = 1.2 for dex during SA

and it should be
0.6 * 3ftp = 1.8 for str
1.2 * 3ftp = 3.6 for dex during SA

or im a missing something ?
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-04-25 14:04:17  
the SA damage isn't multiplied by http://ftp.

(D+fSTR+WSC)*fTP+DEX

STR would be 1.53 base damage and DEX would be 1.2 with Raider's +2
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 264 265 266