フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 175 176 177 ... 364 365 366
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-10-06 19:37:26  
Gear selection has a large role in defining what a job is capable of. It's pretty silly to try and exclude that when discussing.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-10-06 19:43:30  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
A good CP party can increase their net damage significantly by including a BLM and sacrificing fury for malaise. A MNK using kendatsuba over a mixed set loses essentially nothing from this. Thus, since you're fixated on the single situation(CP party), surely we should look at the best case scenario for a CP party..?

As far as making aeonic NMs as trivial as CP mobs, you would need no less than 3 idrises and a REA brd to cap accuracy on an aeonic mob. The limit of 12 rolls/songs is also still a concern. If you are using 4 carols, 4 rolls, honor march and blade madrigal as givens, that only leaves 2 buffs open. This leaves you choosing between capping pdif after bolster wears and getting a madrigal that the other DD can avoid for a negligible dps loss. This would increases your effective time from 3.5min to 6-8 depending on your buffers. If you're wasting a COR roll on hunters, or a GEO buff on precision that wouldn't otherwise be needed, you're even worse off.

A potential case can be made for your set as an optimal condition set, but once you lose any buff you're going to be better off in kendatsuba. The bottom line is that you're fixating on a single result because it's the result you want. It's not realistic, and despite your best attempts to try to defend it, the times when it can be made to win provide a very slight margin in it's favor.
The times when it loses, it is significantly behind, before even considering all the defensive boosts. If you only make one of the sets, kendatsuba is the correct choice.
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 19:45:31  
Fenrir.Snaps said: »
Gear selection has a large role in defining what a job is capable of. It's pretty silly to try and exclude that when discussing.
I'm not saying we should exclude it, I'm saying it's not what DirectX asked.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-10-06 19:50:57  
Asura.Sechs said: »
I'm not saying we should exclude it, I'm saying it's not what DirectX asked.

It is though, because you can't even ask that without the context of gear.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-06 19:51:55  
True, but the traits/gifts, JAs and Foil on RUN mean it will take less damage than most other DDs, even when it isn't at the top of the hate list.
For MNK, specifically, if either lands at the top of the hate list, Inquartata and Foil will far exceed the benefits of Counter and Guard.
For MNK specifically, All for One gives additional HP, in a way, against magical damage, which is what matters most, so I feel it competes rather well against Mantra despite their different durations and recast times. Obviously, there is great synergy available here if you bring both jobs to the party.
The mystery piece is Penance/Subtle Blow I and II. With a RUN, MNK and BLU all beating on a target as fast as they can, I don't hold much value for these JAs/traits. In the time it takes the AI to WS, the target would have enough TP to WS with or without the MNK. And since I haven't seen evidence of TP scaling to the benefit of enemies, it really only matters if it can TP, not if it is TPing at 1k or higher.
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-06 19:59:07  
Ramuh.Austar said: »
A good CP party can increase their net damage significantly by including a BLM and sacrificing fury for malaise. A MNK using kendatsuba over a mixed set loses essentially nothing from this. Thus, since you're fixated on the single situation(CP party), surely we should look at the best case scenario for a CP party..?

As far as making aeonic NMs as trivial as CP mobs, you would need no less than 3 idrises and a REA brd to cap accuracy on an aeonic mob. The limit of 12 rolls/songs is also still a concern. If you are using 4 carols, 4 rolls, honor march and blade madrigal as givens, that only leaves 2 buffs open. This leaves you choosing between capping pdif after bolster wears and getting a madrigal that the other DD can avoid for a negligible dps loss. This would increases your effective time from 3.5min to 6-8 depending on your buffers. If you're wasting a COR roll on hunters, or a GEO buff on precision that wouldn't otherwise be needed, you're even worse off.

A potential case can be made for your set as an optimal condition set, but once you lose any buff you're going to be better off in kendatsuba. The bottom line is that you're fixating on a single result because it's the result you want. It's not realistic, and despite your best attempts to try to defend it, the times when it can be made to win provide a very slight margin in it's favor.
The times when it loses, it is significantly behind, before even considering all the defensive boosts. If you only make one of the sets, kendatsuba is the correct choice.

One, the accuracy requirement you offered was lower than I used as a reference:
Fenrir.Cherrywine said: »
your acc is definitely not capped. and that's the lowest evasion apex mob with evasion listed on bg so you won't cap on harder things eithe. the only accessory i changed was dediton. and that particular run i had an extra 36 acc on your set instead of 36 attack.

That explains it, thank you!
Even on MNK, over 1163 isn't out of reach. In the gear I currently wear, I'm at 1092 before food and buffs.
The difference in accuracy of the ideal set and what I currently wear is... 33. So, in the ideal set, I'd be at 1125.
1125 before food and buffs. It could cap.

Thank you for running those simulations, posting the results and answering my questions!

If you need reference from other than myself...
Try here.

DHO GATES
Level 128-130, beyond the Col. Reive in the southern part of map 1
- Jagils
- Triple Bats
- Craklaws
- Crabs
Accuracy for 95% Hit Rate: 1250

Starting at 1125 accuracy without buffs or food, hitting 1250 is easy.
If we want to get fancy, Focus, even without any JSE swaps on activation, gives +40 accuracy (with max job points). When Focus is down, Aggressor could be used, which gives 25 accuracy.

So, before BRD songs and food, just counting JAs the MNK could control, accuracy in my ideal set would never dip below 1150.
It only needs 100 more to cap on Apex Crabs, which BRD songs would achieve on their own. The MNK in this situation would be free to eat anything it wanted.

Have I shown enough?

Two, don't justify your skewed results by changing the subject of the test:
We are trying to build a test for two or three different gear sets, not trying to build an ideal CP party. In common between these two goals is only that Apex Crabs are involved. Stop trying to move the goal posts.
We didn't agree to test party CP gain rate. We agreed to test set DPS. So we could nail down exactly how much more DPS my proposed set would net.
So MBing makes no sense. Test the top potential of the set with approriate buffs or go home.

And three, since you are quoting Thorny to justify yourself:
I can go ahead and say your set is top DPS when you have capped attack, capped accuracy, no concern for defensive stats. I don't even need to run a simulation to say that.

Which is what setting a baseline is all about. As targets' abilities/characteristics change, adjust the set as needed.
By Afania 2017-10-06 19:59:14  

The original statement lacks context, it said nothing about DD that can wear Ken +1.....some jobs can't, you know.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 19:59:32  
Wut? He asked: "Does a RUN in DD gear take less damage than another non-tank DD?"

It was a generic and simple question. Either you want to be anal about it and say "it's to generic to give an accurate answer!" or you try to give a generic answer, period.

Talking about SAM/MNK/NIN =/= "generic non tank-dd" because it doesn't take into account DRG, DRK, WAR, DNC and BLU (and I'm leaving outside the other jobs for pretty clear reasons)
Also I'm not even sure if SAM and NIN can afford to go 4/5 on Kendatsuba (or more) without any noticeable DPS loss. MNK can, according to Pchan at least.

Kendatsuba is a recent addition, if anything it helped those 3 jobs reach levels that were previously exclusive to RUN only, and RUN can still reach similar (if not arguably better, under some circumstances) levels of status resistance even without any specific (and very expensive!) equipment.

I call that a noticeable difference and I think it's closer to answer what DirectX originally asked.

So tl;dr yes, RUN has tipically better defensive edge than most DD jobs, even when equipping full DD gear and not the tank stuff.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-06 20:06:16  
How do you figure inquartata and foil 'far exceed' counter and guard?

Foil is '>80' evasion, but MNK and RUN have the same base evasion and RUN only has 14 more gift evasion. With dodge, they have an almost identical average evasion over time before gear(lead actually goes to MNK.. we know we have +41 from just enhancements and focus only needs to total 56 to win without focus merits). MNK has 322 on kenda+1 to RUN's 261 on typical mixed set. If foil is worth 80, that means MNK still has more evasion without wasting a cast on something that's otherwise only useful for hate. So, right off the bat, foil is nigh-useless in this comparison. Never mind that unless you're using mambos, evasion is pointless on anything worth considering defensive capability.

Inquartata is 27% parry. Counter is 27% counter(assuming godhands, if you use jolt or spharai it completely shits on inquartata). Sure, you have an accuracy check, but are you going to argue that beats guard AND a 47 evasion bonus to non-TP moves and TP moves while foil is down? If you're considering foil worth the 3 seconds of action delay, surely perfect counter comes into play as well.

You like to pretend subtle blow doesn't matter either, but there's also that.. and a generous difference in max HP when wearing TP gear. I wouldn't really say a DD RUN has more survivability than MNK.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-10-06 20:10:55  
It's not a perfect comparison since you can parry physical WS and autoattacks that are treated like WS.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-10-06 20:11:11  
Two, don't justify your skewed results by changing the subject of the test
I never changed the subject of the test and always ran vs apex crab stats.
hich is what setting a baseline is all about. As targets' abilities/characteristics change, adjust the set as needed.
so you agree, since it's a cp mob and the whole premise is to get cp as fast as possible, then you should use appropriate buffs for the situation. and since you claimed you don't take monk to anything harder, that's the situation I simulated.

Thus, since you're fixated on the single situation(CP party), surely we should look at the best case scenario for a CP party..?
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-06 20:11:47  
Yes, because Foil works amazingly on TP moves and can be kept up full time, if needed. It is definitely better than Perfect Counter.

Inquartata works regardless of ilvl and accuracy. Counter suffers an accuracy check and caps out at 95% accuracy to boot. Battuta is crazy amazing.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-06 20:16:40  
Yes, because Foil works amazingly on TP moves and can be kept up full time, if needed. It is definitely better than Perfect Counter.
Did you read anything I wrote? The best description I can find of foil is '+80 evasion during TP moves'. MNK in full kendatsuba has 66 more evasion than RUN in their standard TP set(3x adhe+1, samnuha, herc boots) with dodge down, and at least 105 more evasion than RUN with dodge up(we know that dodge is a base value +41 from JP and AF, I would bet the base value is at least 50 and you're really looking at more in the league of 150~ evasion over RUN).

80 evasion against TP moves doesn't mean much when MNK is already sitting at that evasion level vs both TP and WS.. and you're HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE if you don't realize how much of an impact spending 3 seconds on foil every 30 seconds has on your damage.

Inquartata works regardless of ilvl and accuracy. Counter suffers an accuracy check and caps out at 95% accuracy to boot. Battuta is crazy amazing.
27% inquartata at 100% is 27%. 27% counter at 95% is 25.65%. They aren't that different for physical rounds.

You try to associate Mantra with One For All, but Mantra not only has triple the uptime, but gives a 50% larger boost that applies to everything.

It's not that clear cut.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-10-06 20:18:01  
trying to bring mnk back to relevancy was a mistake
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-10-06 20:19:36  
Thus, since you're fixated on the single situation(CP party), surely we should look at the best case scenario for a CP party..?

Asura.Saevel said: »
geigei said: »
Why everyone so obsessed with CP?

Because the stats for the monsters are they are high enough level to actually matter. This makes them good targets for DPS math and a starting point for optimizations.

Why CP mobs? Well, for example, Apex Crabs range in level from 128 to 130. We know their stats, so it is easy to build tests around them.

Knowing their level allows you to make comparisons to other events, like Ambuscade, whose targets change monthly. It won't line up perfectly, as some targets will have terrible defense but high evasion, etc.
But it gives a frame to build from since we know the general ilvl of the battle when selecting it.

Well, from a commonly accepted "Best DPS" set, you can then make choices to fit your varying needs.

Is more Accuracy needed/Dispel possible? Swap in the following order a different earring/ammo/legs/hands/head/feet.

Is magic evasion truly important for this fight? Swap in different items in terms of minimal loss/maximum gain. This might put you in 5/5 ken. gear, but it isn't a foregone conclusion.

A starting point is of utmost importance.
The goal is to buff/debuff every mob down to the lowest difficulty possible. If you never see a time when your targets are crushed that low, then certainly never wear the proposed set in full. Gear to where your performance is maximized.

Come the update, maybe MNK will inherently be given more of all that it is lacking. The proposed set might apply to more of the content you experience, then. Or it might not. Things could radically change.
But we've got this starting point for today and to use as comparison for tomorrow. That is very valuable.

No need to rehash all 40 pages again. They are saved in this thread and available for reference and context. I'm not going to get through to you Austar, and I accept that. You are not my intended audience. Those that may read you say, "My sim says the sky appears green to the vast majority of people on earth." and consider that as a possible truth are my intended audience.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-10-06 20:23:46  
then you can sit here whining about how useless monk is while the rest of the world uses real gear and plays the job in situations besides double idris geo for CP level mobs.
 Fenrir.Snaps
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-10-06 20:24:08  
Wut? He asked: "Does a RUN in DD gear take less damage than another non-tank DD?"

It was a generic and simple question. Either you want to be anal about it and say "it's to generic to give an accurate answer!" or you try to give a generic answer, period.

Talking about SAM/MNK/NIN =/= "generic non tank-dd" because it doesn't take into account DRG, DRK, WAR, DNC and BLU (and I'm leaving outside the other jobs for pretty clear reasons)
Also I'm not even sure if SAM and NIN can afford to go 4/5 on Kendatsuba (or more) without any noticeable DPS loss. MNK can, according to Pchan at least.

Kendatsuba is a recent addition, if anything it helped those 3 jobs reach levels that were previously exclusive to RUN only, and RUN can still reach similar (if not arguably better, under some circumstances) levels of status resistance even without any specific (and very expensive!) equipment.

I call that a noticeable difference and I think it's closer to answer what DirectX originally asked.

So tl;dr yes, RUN has tipically better defensive edge than most DD jobs, even when equipping full DD gear and not the tank stuff.

You don't need to specifically mention Kendatsuba when asking the question, it's implied because job performance is largely tied to gear selection. If someone asked if RUN can tank as well as a PLD, would you try to exclude Aegis/Ochain from the answer because they didn't explicitly mention it in the question?

4/5 Kendatsuba SAM has 221 more magic evasion from gear than my best RUN DPS set. That applies to every element. Also, the 1 elemental resistance = 1 magic evasion has not been proven anywhere to my knowledge. I don't think you can just equate them to be equal without some kind of data.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 20:25:03  
Foil is '>80' evasion
I thought foil was not just "physical evasion" but a special form of evasion that allowed you to occasionally evade TPmoves/WS that you wouldn't normally be able to evade with just physical eva stat?
I never digged too much through into Foil but I thought that's how it worked?

Also, granted you can't fulltime it, there's also Swordplay (and MNK has Dodge I guess! For 30 lovely seconds)

In terms of survivability for very short fights where RUN can exploit all its non-SP cooldown, it's clearly above most (all?) other "generic non-tank DD jobs".
On longer fights things change and I concur MNK has several pros, including the often underestimated SubtleBlow that you mentioned.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2017-10-06 20:28:48  
its all about them nin/runs for meva!
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-06 20:29:13  
I can't find any documented testing on foil, and the bg-wiki page says it gives >80 evasion. To be clear, I'm not saying to use MNKs instead of RUNs, because the damage difference is absolutely obscene. I'm saying that they are pretty close to the same level of survivability, provided a WHM is present and both are trying to do their max damage.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 20:30:28  
4/5 Kendatsuba SAM has 221 more magic evasion from gear than my best RUN DPS set.
Is 4/5 Kendatsuba on SAM your best DPS TP set on SAM? Or something you use when you want hybrid setups?

Plus you're not factoring MDB, Tenacity and Pflug (granted the latter is less relevant on fights like Albumen)

Also, again, it's 3 jobs out of 10+
Directx didn't ask "how does full DD RUN do compared to a 4/5 Kendatsuba DD"?

Quote:
Also, the 1 elemental resistance = 1 magic evasion has not been proven anywhere to my knowledge.
Tarowyn and Clearlyamule have been discussing that recently, can go dig that data if you're interested.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-10-06 20:36:39  
you can wear 4/5 kendatsuba on SAM for a very minor hit in DPS which is offset by the fact that ***won't land on you nearly as frequently any more
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 20:37:03  
I can't find any documented testing on foil, and the bg-wiki page says it gives >80 evasion. To be clear, I'm not saying to use MNKs instead of RUNs, because the damage difference is absolutely obscene. I'm saying that they are pretty close to the same level of survivability, provided a WHM is present and both are trying to do their max damage.
On long-enough fights I agree they're pretty close, granted there's still the MDB difference but let's ignore that for the moment.
On very short fights I think RUN's CDs still give it a small edge even over MNK.

If we wanna talk about survivability though, BLU has a lot of defensive tools which do not come at the cost of DPS as well, compared to most other DDs which have to either pick defensive stances or hybrid/DT gear.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-10-06 20:37:22  
Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
you can wear 4/5 kendatsuba on SAM for a very minor hit in DPS which is offset by the fact that ***won't land on you nearly as frequently any more
lowers damage, not worth
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-10-06 20:41:51  
Quote:
If we wanna talk about survivability though, BLU has a lot of defensive tools which do not come at the cost of DPS as well, compared to most other DDs which have to either pick defensive stances or hybrid/DT gear.

They cost points and cast time; nothing is completely free.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 20:43:32  
Not very fair to compare a job with a semihybrid setup vs another one using a full DD one.

It's like "hey! my PUP in 50% DT gear takes less damage than your dualwielding PLD using full DD gear!"

...in theory xD lol
In reality RUN doesn't have many (any?) pieces which offer that amount of meva while ALSO offering very high DPS potential, like Kendatsuba.
So of course yeah, that's a clear pro for those 3 DD jobs.
But using this to say that the sentence "RUN has overall better defensive potential than most non-tank DD jobs" is false, is a stretch imho.
(which, again, was the initial point that started this sub-discussion)
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-06 20:47:45  
Siren.Kyte said: »
They cost points and cast time; nothing is completely free.
I'm very ignorant when it comes to BLU, but stuff like Saline Coat, Mighty Guard, Nature's Meditation, Cocoon, probably some other defensive stuff I know nothing about, don't they all last 2+ mins?
Sounds more than enough to put them up pre-pop for the majority of fights?
How many fights last more than 2 mins?
And even then, having all that defensive power just for 2 mins at the start of a fight is still much more than many other jobs can achieve, no?
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-10-06 20:48:14  
Not very fair to compare a job with a semihybrid setup vs another one using a full DD one.

It's like "hey! my PUP in 50% DT gear takes less damage than your dualwielding PLD using full DD gear!"

...in theory xD lol
In reality RUN doesn't have many (any?) pieces which offer that amount of meva while ALSO offering very high DPS potential, like Kendatsuba.
So of course yeah, that's a clear pro for those 3 DD jobs.
But using this to say that the sentence "RUN has overall better defensive potential than most non-tank DD jobs" is false, is a stretch imho.
(which, again, was the initial point that started this sub-discussion)

it's literally not a semi hybrid if it's like 1-2% behind the best options. the stats on them are insane. you could pick up 4/5 NQ kendatsuba and be barely worse off than using flamma +1/whatever other ***. if you want to make it slightly less hybrid you can even swap in valorous feet. it's completely fair to compare them if SAM can do stuff like swap out 3 stp for 10 status resist without a hit in dps, it's not as black as white as hybrid vs not hybrid. they just have the ability to wear more defensive gear while still maintaining dps because the gear is that good. other jobs have the option for swapping their lolginsen for staunch tathlum but apparently they think 3 stp is more important than 10% status resist
[+]
 Fenrir.Ramzus
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-10-06 20:53:23  
This is what SAM looks like normally:

ItemSet 351485

This is what SAM looks like in hybrid:

ItemSet 352473

Ammo/Head/Ring/Back swapped. Only 2 of them are actual "hybrid" pieces and the other 2 are concessions made to maintain a 4 hit. You're giving up 1 stp, 2 TA and 1 accuracy (I actually have >1200 acc in this setup which is enough to cap on anything in this game with the correct buffs)

this is legit maybe a 20-30 dps loss at most
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2017-10-06 21:12:14  
yeah but that kind of gearing paradigm doesn't apply to monk, unfortunately :(
First Page 2 3 ... 175 176 177 ... 364 365 366