users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » iiPunch - Monk Guide
iiPunch - Monk Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 288 289 290 ... 364 365 366
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-10-24 11:30:36  
eh i'll test it on my lunch break. I guess a canteen to test is less annoying that swart farming on thf.
 Asura.Shiraj
サーバ: Asura
user: Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-24 11:39:50  
But on a good note, I finally got around to trying Master Trial: Unafraid of the Dark on a Monk and no hyperbole either, it was the smoothest time I have ever had doing that fight.

We tried with SAM and COR meleeing as well, but they took too much damage from TP spam, so I decided to let them back off and let Monk solo DD the Quadav and Shadow Lord.
The quadav went from 100% -> 80% without using a TP move, and only used a TP move because the SAM went to run in and Ageha it which fed a bit more TP than I would have.

So the fight will be a bit longer, but it's a hell of a lot safer, would 100% use Monk strat on that every time I can now.

Quadav took about 3-5 minutes to kill, not sure exactly, but was very fast.
Shadow Lord took about 15 minutes to solo DD down doing 3 step Shijin -> Victory -> Victory used on both mobs.

I was in a counter set the whole time, so the time taken could be improved drastically if using Empy body during Impetus.
I was just playing safe since was first time using Monk there.

Shadow Lord used about 5-6 TP moves going from 100 -> 25% I believe, I may have missed some, not sure.
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2019-10-24 11:47:01  
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Chastisers this or
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Denouements for a fresh 99 ?
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-24 11:49:04  
Denouements are really cool for a fresh Monk, and more obtainable than Chastisers.

I'd personally use Denouements as well until you get better options.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-10-24 12:03:56  
Comparing the two: Use the Chastisers if you have them until you build up the points to make this https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Karambit. The STR, Attack, TA, and TP Bonus synergizes with Monk's Strengths very well. It's going to blow Denouements out of the park.

But don't buy Chastisers, only use if you have them. I would just buy a Jolt Counter from AH and call it a day, if you're looking for a h2h right now. Its the best and most readily-accesible weapon for a starter monk and requires no commmitment or large investment, and its better than the above 2
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-10-24 12:08:10  
Jolts need 100 jp.

Denouments are super fun for brand new.
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2019-10-24 12:47:29  
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Karambit
wow these things never even seen them before and yes i have both the other 2 weapons i posted about i had it on my main and i wanted to play monk again in this era my monk was back from like 2006 on main collected monk gears over the years
 Asura.Pusheen
user: Tyrael
By Asura.Pusheen 2019-10-24 12:57:24  
Cerberus.Demonsgate said: »
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Karambit
wow these things never even seen them before and yes i have both the other 2 weapons i posted about i had it on my main and i wanted to play monk again in this era my monk was back from like 2006 on main collected monk gears over the years

I was in a similar place a year ago, I personally preferred Chastiers after going back and forth between the two. I'm currently using Karambit while working on farming Verethragna and I am very happy with them. They are an extremely competent weapon.

If all else fails and you can't buy anything less than decent, just raw dog it.
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2019-10-24 13:15:17  
so will i need to trade my chasiters when i make karambit on the last stage ?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-10-24 13:17:07  
Yes, or any other pulse weapon.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2019-10-24 13:17:34  
so will i need to trade my chasiters when i make karambit on the last stage ?

The final stage takes any Pulse weapon, so if you have others you could potentially trade in, you don't need to use those.
 Cerberus.Demonsgate
By Cerberus.Demonsgate 2019-10-24 15:38:55  
howling fists seems to be the best ws atm right? or just spam smite
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 01:12:39  
Siren.Sandraa said: »
howling fists seems to be the best ws atm right? or just spam smite

No Savagery-WAR on party: i use Vere + Victory smite
Savagery-WAR on party: i use God-hands + tornado kick & Raging fist. Both WS scale better than VS at higher tp.

This is true for zergs but if its a longer fight or event like dynamis, you will still use the same - Vsmite with impetus up and TK/Raging/HW with impetus down. Unless merited warcry is generally up for 75sec(?) with 5 min cooldown, so you can time it to use Footwork then and use Impetus when warcry is on cooldown. Also unless you specifically doesnt want to make sc or sc isnt effective, its probably more overall damage if you can spam vsmite to make constant light or radiance with WAR.
[+]
By Aerix 2019-10-25 01:41:19  
SimonSes said: »
This is true for zergs but if its a longer fight or event like dynamis, you will still use the same - Vsmite with impetus up and TK/Raging/HW with impetus down. Unless merited warcry is generally up for 75sec(?) with 5 min cooldown, so you can time it to use Footwork then and use Impetus when warcry is on cooldown. Also unless you specifically doesnt want to make sc or sc isnt effective, its probably more overall damage if you can spam vsmite to make constant light or radiance with WAR.

Does the VSmite damage comparison to TK/RF/HF account for self-Lights from spamming?
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 03:48:37  
Siren.Sandraa said: »
On my group leaders use the parse to determine who play DD and who go on support-healer.

So you telling me that everyone in your LS are aware that you win parses because you do virtual damage (by that I mean damage done over targets hp) and still you choose who play DD based on parse? Thats the funniest thing I heard this week :)

So if someone in your LS would actually kill mobs faster on lets say mnk but would be lower on parse because stardiver damage would be limited by mobs hp, then he cant play DD in your runs? Thats golden :)

Im starting to appriciate my LS even more now :)

EDIT: also bonus question. Do you have ws macro with "/p look at me, im wsing now!" Im asking because I cant understand why you keep making half of your post bolded every time? Its almost as bad as using caps lock. You can use it occasionally when you want to highlight something important, but doing it every time for half of the post just make it harder to read and lose its meaning completely.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-10-25 05:18:05  
Lmao i thought it was just me reading that

[+]
 Bahamut.Faites
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Faites 2019-10-25 05:29:02  
What augments on back / Ryuo stuff?

I'm assuming some WS's are WS Damage and others Crit?

Ryou looks like some sets are good with subtle blow for tp and others crit + ?

I can't find a suggested guide for all current best sets since latest release and job changes.

Is there anywhere for this ? I scrolled back in this to the start of October but I can't find anything.

Which WS's are best with WS Damage+ which are best with DA/TA and which are best with crit+?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-10-25 07:07:57  
I've never heard anything so ridiculous as purposely using a WS for numbers even when the monster doesn't have the HP to justify it. It's really dumb things like that which makes people feel that only damage matters "I WON DA PARZE!". Reason why RNG/COR is so fun, but it's false damage in reality. Never heard someone come out and admit they are specifically doing that just to win the parse. /facepalm

Anyways, we keep seeing the same questions every page. It might be about time we overhauled the front page, or possibly make a new guide with up-to-date gear sets.
[+]
By SimonSes 2019-10-25 07:33:53  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
I've never heard anything so ridiculous as purposely using a WS for numbers even when the monster doesn't have the HP to justify it. It's really dumb things like that which makes people feel that only damage matters "I WON DA PARZE!". Reason why RNG/COR is so fun, but it's false damage in reality. Never heard someone come out and admit they are specifically doing that just to win the parse. /facepalm

I mean he is justified a little, if he plays in LS that force you to win parses if you want to play DD job XD I would quit that LS asap tho :)
 Asura.Shiraj
By Asura.Shiraj 2019-10-25 07:51:02  
That's a huge issue imo. Having top parse is an incentive to do huge damage just makes people play reckless, they start to forget about DT sets more often, hence more deaths.
If you can win parse and have genuinely good survival cos you're not dumb, then good on you.

No one is good laying on the floor, except that one person who is /war and overwrites a WAR main's Warcry.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-10-25 08:44:04  
SimonSes said: »

I mean he is justified a little, if he plays in LS that force you to win parses if you want to play DD job XD I would quit that LS asap tho :)

Parsing to see who is top DD on trash/multiple enemies can be skewed slightly. Smashing a monster at 1% with a 1 hit WS is kind of a dirty way to get ahead. Especially if other DDs rely on multihit WS.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2019-10-25 09:09:21  
It's also luck based, since someone who picks 1 mob while everyone else picks a 2nd will skew damage toward the guy on his own due to engaging and targeting delays.
By Gandhi 2019-10-25 09:16:20  
TA, and TP Bonus

What TA and TP bonus are you talking about? Also, how does this forum feel about These guys?

My mnk isn't great, but I got these out of the gobbie box, however I already have Denouements.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2019-10-25 09:33:34  
Gandhi said: »
What TA and TP bonus are you talking about?

These

The guy above asked which was better, this or Denouements, and I stated that the stats on the above synergize well with monk already.

Definitely use the PW h2h, those are much better than Denouements. You get lower delay for comparable base damage, but that STR is quite helpful to MNK ws. Colossal Blow just doesn't work on anything cool, so you're mostly getting QA out of it. Which is cool as well. Would go with that fat STR bonus.
 Asura.Pusheen
user: Tyrael
By Asura.Pusheen 2019-10-25 09:36:39  
Gandhi said: »
What TA and TP bonus are you talking about?

These

The guy above asked which was better, this or Denouements, and I stated that the stats on the above synergize well with monk already.

To me, Chastisers are like Godhands-1. If you have Comeuppances, HQ them and use those.
 Lakshmi.Watusa
user: Watusa
By Lakshmi.Watusa 2019-10-25 11:44:36  

Win the parse, win your freedom.
[+]
By Aerix 2019-10-25 11:46:35  
Asura.Pusheen said: »
If you have Comeuppances, HQ them and use those.

That's gonna be an issue if they got the weapon from Gobbie box. Can't spend accolades for the upgrade items without the kill credit and other people are very unlikely to use their accolades for it, especially due to the Prize Powder change.
First Page 2 3 ... 288 289 290 ... 364 365 366