Anyone On Cerb With Hearing Loss?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Cerberus » Anyone on cerb with hearing loss?
Anyone on cerb with hearing loss?
First Page 2
 Cerberus.Alcholic
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Redge
By Cerberus.Alcholic 2013-03-29 08:07:19  
yo, was just wondering if theres people on cerb who's like me.
ya see, i was born with damaged ear nerves, so as result, i have a 90% hearing loss. so yeah u guessed it, im deaf, and therefore, cant join on vent or skype or w/e. im asking this now is cuz i had a recent chat with my LS leader and one of the things had me wondering.. are there others like me, or am I alone?
 Cerberus.Zaub
user: Zaub
By Cerberus.Zaub 2013-03-29 09:25:08  
About 80% loss in left ear, 50% right, plus bad tinnitus... I hear your pain loud and clear
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2013-03-29 09:52:57  
WHAT?!?!
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2013-03-29 09:57:21  
I have bad tinnitus and some hearing loss, I'm going in a few weeks to get another hearing test (new place... they weren't happy with the last place that got my aids...)
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2013-03-29 10:03:19  
Leviathan.Catnipthief said: »
I have bad tinnitus and some hearing loss, I'm going in a few weeks to get another hearing test (new place... they weren't happy with the last place that got my aids...)

same here. I worked on sheet metal for 12 years with no protection.
 Asura.Draus
サーバ: Asura
user: Draus
By Asura.Draus 2013-03-29 10:09:57  
Does that place take care of you now or get you with a loophole?
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2013-03-29 10:36:09  
Asura.Draus said: »

Nah I switched on my own free will, the last place wanted to charge me for maintenance that should be included free with my warranty. The new place takes care of me TONs better.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2013-03-29 10:46:23  

not 100% sure who you were asking but in case it was me,

I was supposed to have protection in, so ya, not free.

but they did sit me in this office & I get paid better, so, idk, a wash maybe.
 Cerberus.Alcholic
By Cerberus.Alcholic 2013-03-29 11:06:23  

Nah I switched on my own free will, the last place wanted to charge me for maintenance that should be included free with my warranty. The new place takes care of me TONs better.

U have my sympathies. I went thru the same thing with my aids, rediculously expensive for such a tiny piece of tech. At first, insurance refused to cover it since their policies dont really cover lifetime disablities. Actucally, im hearing theres movement to repeal the ADA act.
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2013-03-29 11:08:13  
Cerberus.Alcholic said: »

U have my sympathies. I went thru the same thing with my aids, rediculously expensive for such a tiny piece of tech. At first, insurance refused to cover it since their policies dont really cover lifetime disablities. Actucally, im hearing theres movement to repeal the ADA act.

sad, yeah I had the same issue, my insurance won't touch buying anything like that, I go through a seperate ... Company?... Institution? (I dunno what they would class themselfs as lol) to get me my aids.
 Cerberus.Rhyen
user: Rhyen
By Cerberus.Rhyen 2013-04-01 08:24:05  
REDGE MY LOVE. I think I mentioned this to you in game before but it's worth repeating here. I have hearing loss/tinnitus too. Some people jokingly (mostly) give me ***for refusing to use vent (honestly I probably wouldn't anyways because it ruins the immersion factor of the game to me or I have something else going in the back ground) I do my best to tell anyone who takes issue with me not joining them on vent it's nothing personal. Some will always just see it as an excuse but that doesn't really bother me. Just do what you do and type out that ***, if people don't like it, what can you do?

I could only see this being an issue if you wanted to be in a LS that requires vent for events but I've been in plenty of successful LSes that didn't NEED vent or other voice chat to win things smoothly so that's never been an issue for me. Anyways my hearing loss isn't as bad as yours so I can't say I know exactly what you're going through but the tinnitus drives me nuts at times so in a way I do feel your pain.
 Bahamut.Haymitch
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Haymitch 2013-04-01 08:36:23  
Well, I am on Bahamut. I am deaf as well. I was born with damaged ear nerves. You are not alone. I almost don't get into LS just because of the vent stuff. It was sorta unfair, but I was able to get in anyway because my friend doesn't mind to type everything to me what they were planning to do with the events. If people dont like it, just screw them. Find right people who is willing to work it out with you.
By Toebag 2013-04-01 08:50:36  
I'm not on Cerb, but I feel you.

I've had to wear hearing aids since the age of 4.

Still the Vent/TS stuff doesn't bother me, I know I'd rather not try it, than struggle to hear and get frustrated, and asking people to repeat themselves time and time again.

@Haymitch: That is very unfair. I'm disgusted with the leaders of that LS for being so discriminatory because of being unable to use Vent/TS.
 Fenrir.Reece
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Reece 2013-04-01 08:58:34  
I don't think it's so much the factor of be on vent to win events.
A lot of people I know like it because you can 'get to know' a player a lot better and detect different emotions/attitudes rather than typing.

/shrug

I feel for you though I hate it when it happens for a min or two let alone permanently.
 Cerberus.Deadplaything
By Cerberus.Deadplaything 2013-04-01 09:02:38  
I can't hear you...
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-01 12:22:45  
Perhaps a strange question, but I'm curious. Some of you obviously have less hearing loss, but for those of you who have a harder time hearing, do you play FFXI with the music? Perhaps with it turned up, or in ear buds?
By Toebag 2013-04-01 13:22:13  
I don't play with the game music on. I get bored of it after a while. I could easily play with other music on, and believe me I love my music.

I could play with headphones on, or if I take my hearing aids out I could use ear buds.. I'd need to turn the volume louder when using ear buds though.
I've been told I have 'severe bilateral hearing loss', sounds bad, but I know I'm pretty lucky, met people with much worse hearing than myself.

For me at least, and I'd assume for others, it's a normal part of our lives and it doesn't interfere with what we do. In some things we're obviously disadvantaged, I won't pretend we're not. TS/Vent is a prime example.
I have a heavy reliance on lip reading, it helps me identify and shape the sound of the word into what it is meant to be. If I couldn't see your lips when you were talking to me, I'd probably mistake what you were saying. That's why I refuse to use Vent/TS.
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-01 13:54:53  
Fair enough. Thanks for the perspective! I seriously appreciate it.
 Sylph.Ashiya
サーバ: Sylph
user: Ashee
By Sylph.Ashiya 2013-04-01 14:11:46  
I don't think its right for people like that in the game to give those with a disability crap about not being on vent or even keep them out of the ls for the matter. Thus why I never joined some heavy event Linkshells, too many rules and regs and alot of *** kissing and favoratism. *Alot like high school basically*

Anyways, kuddos to you guys who play the game!
 Shiva.Bailiegrace
サーバ: Shiva
user: Bai
By Shiva.Bailiegrace 2013-04-01 14:23:26  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Perhaps a strange question, but I'm curious. Some of you obviously have less hearing loss, but for those of you who have a harder time hearing, do you play FFXI with the music? Perhaps with it turned up, or in ear buds?
I play with the in game music off.
 Cerberus.Alcholic
By Cerberus.Alcholic 2013-04-02 19:50:18  
Cerberus.Rhyen said: »
REDGE MY LOVE. I think I mentioned this to you in game before but it's worth repeating here. I have hearing loss/tinnitus too. Some people jokingly (mostly) give me ***for refusing to use vent (honestly I probably wouldn't anyways because it ruins the immersion factor of the game to me or I have something else going in the back ground) I do my best to tell anyone who takes issue with me not joining them on vent it's nothing personal. Some will always just see it as an excuse but that doesn't really bother me. Just do what you do and type out that ***, if people don't like it, what can you do?

I could only see this being an issue if you wanted to be in a LS that requires vent for events but I've been in plenty of successful LSes that didn't NEED vent or other voice chat to win things smoothly so that's never been an issue for me. Anyways my hearing loss isn't as bad as yours so I can't say I know exactly what you're going through but the tinnitus drives me nuts at times so in a way I do feel your pain.

ahh rhyenn! i didnt know u were in pretty much the same boat as me. nice to know!yeah i have similar problems with my hearing. the ringing, buzzing and beeping. keeps me awake at nights sometimes. doctors havent detected tinnitus at all, so they concluded it as an side effect to my nerves damage. :(
 Cerberus.Meatster
user: Meatster
By Cerberus.Meatster 2013-04-02 20:05:21  
Im mostly deaf in right ear and have awful ringing inside them all the time. Sucks know the feelin.
 Cerberus.Alcholic
By Cerberus.Alcholic 2013-04-02 20:54:54  
Cerberus.Meatster said: »
Im mostly deaf in right ear and have awful ringing inside them all the time. Sucks know the feelin.

wow u too meatster?!
 Cerberus.Drayco
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2013-04-02 21:19:44  
My buddy's wife is 90% deaf. Two things that are pretty unique about their relationship.

First, they can have conversations with each other from across the room just reading lips...

Second, when she gets pissed off at him, she just pulls her hearing aids out. Its awesome lol
 Cerberus.Wulfgarson
By Cerberus.Wulfgarson 2013-04-02 21:34:46  
90 % deaf in left, 40% hearing impared in right. cant/wont use vent. learned basic sign about 5 years ago. no background music, effects turned up to 100. idiots and <call> give me migraines. the worse thing about all of it is i used to be a fairly decent musician before. the money for aids isnt available, since my insurance company says its a pre-existing condition. bless all of you/us.
By Tylaar 2013-04-02 21:35:34  
Cerberus.Alcholic said: »
yo, was just wondering if theres people on cerb who's like me.

There's no-one like you Redge! ;)

I have tinnitus also.. too much ignorance in my youth rocking out with amps and drums blazing and no ear protection. I can still hear reasonably well, but once I'm in a crowd/noisy area with lots of background rambling, pretty much the vocal frequency ranges disappear. It is a little better if I wear earplugs actually, shaving off those high frequencies must let the ears focus on the 1-3kHz range better, or something.
First Page 2