Criticism, Critique And Education For A New Career Samurai

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Criticism, Critique and Education for a New Career Samurai
Criticism, Critique and Education for a New Career Samurai
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2013-04-23 09:13:43  
I too am a little surprised you didn't know swapping weapons means losing your tp.

That aside - guys, at least he's willing to and wanting to learn and improve. Plenty of players (old and new) aren't.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2013-04-23 09:15:00  
Yeah the losing tp thing really surprised me. I found that out the first day of playing because I tried different weapons.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2013-04-23 09:15:54  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
If you never read forums or never took time to study wikis it's possible to be completely clueless years later.

This too.

The number of PLD's I saw, completely turtled up in Abyssea was staggering. Or the number of thieves that would don full EVA gear for everything, even exp'ing.

They couldn't understand why you'd want to put on Haste and Attack gear until I ended up spending a couple hours going through a bunch of "well, if you kill it faster, then you take less damage" style conversations.
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-04-23 09:21:02  
If you never read forums or never took time to study wikis it's possible to be completely clueless years later.

If you can play FFXI for 7 years and not realize that you lose TP when you switch weapons, I really hope you don't drive a car.
 Cerberus.Katairyu
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:24:40  
Sylph.Hitetsu said: »
One of the key parts people may have missed from that line, is "on and off". It can take a couple of months to learn the intricacies of a job, along with all the recent changes.

Personally I've taken a few 6-12 month breaks over my past 9 years, I've come back and missed huge differences in gameplay. Remember back when PLD's didn't /NIN? The change from /WAR to /NIN meant a whole new playstyle and whole new sets of gear.

If I'd missed the gap where people realised that /NIN was much more effective at mitigating damage and equally as effective at holding hate, I would've been sat in my chair shouting "wtf happened?" at my screen.

You don't learn by flooding yourself with piles of information at once. Sure, you can try to learn absolutely everything there is to know instantly - it won't work, but you can try. Memory just doesn't work like that, you need time to categorise it (like you would with school subjects - Why waste time learning addition when you can jump straight in to binary multiplication, right?)

All it takes is one or two breaks and everything you knew becomes invalid. I came back, 3 weeks ago, from another 9 month break. If it wasn't for the fact that it was 9 months and not 3-4 years (say, the 80 cap and Abyssea start) then I'd be in the exact same position - especially if I hadn't been such a XIgeek back when I played more heavily and learned as much as I could about the game. Now, I rely more on what the mathletes of XI say than doing my own maths - Why? because I don't have the time to dedicate to learning everything.

Now, even if we assume that Kata had only missed say, 6 months. If he wasn't a serious player before (a "casual" as people like to toss around), then there's every possibility that he wouldn't need to know all this, to "work well". Now, his life may have allowed him a bit more time for XI and he wants to do his damndest.

Personally, I don't think it's a troll - or he's the best troll I've ever seen. Either way, I'd prefer to consider I may have helped someone who needed it, than I had wasted 20 minutes feeding a troll.

Thank you, the thing is that my knowledge still comes from an era when you had the oldschool DD-Tank-Support EXP Party setup. Nowadays it's all about speedleveling through Page Burning and Abyssea parties.

I functioned fine as a Samurai back in the old EXP system, grabbed hold of the best Level 70 Armour I could when I hit it (I should also mention I only beat Maat a couple of months or so ago, so everything above 70, Abyssea included, is still somewhat new to me).

Again, below Level 70, you don't really need a load of gear sets, just a singular Hybrid Build will serve you fine until you get above 70. So I never really had a chance to look into it until now.

Exactly. And as much as I studied the wiki and numerous forums (FFXI forums, here, ZAM, Blue etc), I never reached above 70 until just recently, so it's only now that I'm getting waist deep in gear sets and the like.
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:26:25  
ScaevolaBahamut said: »
If you can play FFXI for 7 years and not realize that you lose TP when you switch weapons, I really hope you don't drive a car.

And if you fail to read the posts of the people you're criticizing, I really hope you're not raising children.

Cerberus.Katairyu said: »
I've been playing FFXI on and off since 2006
 Cerberus.Mindi
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2013-04-23 09:30:54  
well to be fair "playing on and off" could also mean play 3 years, 3 month break, play 1 year, 1 month break and stuff (which still is alot of playtime). Just from this wording noone can guess you mean "i started an account 7 years ago, played for some time and had like 5 years break and just returned a few months ago" (which seems to be more like it is for you?)
By ScaevolaBahamut 2013-04-23 09:32:40  
And if you fail to read the posts of the people you're criticizing, I really hope you're not raising children.

Most people notice this stuff within 20 minutes of leaving their starting town, bro

(my grandma sure thought that driving once every three weeks or so means she shouldn't be expected to remember to use a turn signal when changing lanes, though, so i guess you're in good company....?)
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-23 09:32:53  
You can also do all of the above and still be clueless.

Whether it is delusion or denial, most people who are informed are in fact clueless.

@OP:

A very easy way to start understanding would be to ask various people on your server. While you won't always meet good players, you'll notice trends in the gear used and other strategies, from there you can start thinking by yourself. Hell, I'm on right now if you want, the basics are pretty simple and it might help to have live explanation.
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:33:02  
Cerberus.Mindi said: »
well to be fair "playing on and off" could also mean play 3 years, 3 month break, play 1 year, 1 month break and stuff (which still is alot of playtime). Just from this wording noone can guess you mean "i started an account 7 years ago, played for some time and had like 5 years break and just returned a few months ago" (which seems to be more like it is for you?)

It was more like, play for two months, break for six, repeat. xD

Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
You can also do all of the above and still be clueless.

Whether it is delusion or denial, most people who are informed are in fact clueless.

@OP:

A very easy way to start understanding would be to ask various people on your server. While you won't always meet good players, you'll notice trends in the gear used and other strategies, from there you can start thinking by yourself. Hell, I'm on right now if you want, the basics are pretty simple and it might help to have live explanation.

That'd be really great, I can't get on at the moment as I'm still in the office, but I'll be on in a couple of hours or so. Do feel free to drop me a /tell or a friend request anytime, I could really use the mentoring. :)
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-23 09:36:55  
I'm at work myself but do not hesitate to send me a tell when you get on.
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:40:26  

Will do :)

Also, how're you at work but on FFXI at the same time? xD Playing from the office?
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-04-23 09:42:19  

Like, 99% off and 1% on?

Yeah, no. Troll thread.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-23 09:45:51  
A troll would try to cause some kind of upheaval, not see if people are good at teaching. But whatever, I tried to help in any case, not like I'd go oh snap even if it was a troll.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-23 09:46:06  

Also, how're you at work but on FFXI at the same time? xD Playing from the office?
I like multitasking.
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:47:19  
Carbuncle.Anesthesia said: »

Like, 99% off and 1% on?

Yeah, no. Troll thread.

I would come up with a witty response but I can't be asked to feed the troll.

A troll would try to cause some kind of upheaval, not see if people are good at teaching. But whatever, I tried to help in any case, not like I'd go oh snap even if it was a troll.

And you did help, I really appreciate your input. :)

I like multitasking.

That's probably more awesome than I can handle. xD
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-23 09:48:16  

Like, 99% off and 1% on?

Yeah, no. Troll thread.
There is an Amano owner sporting the same set as in the OP (set #1). Between Japanese and people who genuinely don't know, you can't expect this kind of things to not exist.

At least it's not a Regain Moonshade.
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:48:54  

Like, 99% off and 1% on?

Yeah, no. Troll thread.
There is an Amano owner sporting the same set as in the OP (set #1). Between Japanese and people who genuinely don't know, you can't expect this kind of things to not exist.

What's a Regain Moonshade?
 Carbuncle.Anesthesia
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: analgesia
By Carbuncle.Anesthesia 2013-04-23 09:49:16  

After reading up on typical builds as much as possible, I've assembled a couple of gear sets that I think should hold up pretty well in most situations, of course, switching back and forth between phases as needed:

TP Set:

ItemSet 297996

I've stacked as much Store TP as possible and it works out to +93 if you add the +40 Store TP SAM gets as a Job Trait. With Futsuno Mitama, I believe this works out to a four-hit build but correct me if I'm wrong. I've also ensured to stack as much Accuracy as possible to guarantee consistent hits during the TP Phase. I'm aware of the lack of Haste on any of the gear but I've never fully understood the point of putting Haste into your gear set when so many jobs are able to cast the buff regardless, it's always seemed like such a waste when you could be guaranteeing more consistent hits with greater Accuracy. Again, please do let me know why I'm wrong about this.

Understands x-hits, doesn't understand haste or the fact that you can't switch weapons, invites flames.

Yes, troll, stop talking seha.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Starkzz
By Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai 2013-04-23 09:50:11  
This guy isn't your typical troll though, he just keeps luring you in as he makes you believe he's innocent, then, when the time is right, he'll get you, no, he'll *** you.

A deadly breed, to be sure.

reminds me of "The Thing"
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 09:55:34  

After reading up on typical builds as much as possible, I've assembled a couple of gear sets that I think should hold up pretty well in most situations, of course, switching back and forth between phases as needed:

TP Set:

ItemSet 297996

I've stacked as much Store TP as possible and it works out to +93 if you add the +40 Store TP SAM gets as a Job Trait. With Futsuno Mitama, I believe this works out to a four-hit build but correct me if I'm wrong. I've also ensured to stack as much Accuracy as possible to guarantee consistent hits during the TP Phase. I'm aware of the lack of Haste on any of the gear but I've never fully understood the point of putting Haste into your gear set when so many jobs are able to cast the buff regardless, it's always seemed like such a waste when you could be guaranteeing more consistent hits with greater Accuracy. Again, please do let me know why I'm wrong about this.

Understands x-hits, doesn't understand haste or the fact that you can't switch weapons, invites flames.

Yes, troll, stop talking seha.

Of course I understand X-Hits, a Samurai couldn't make it to 70 without understanding that, at least not when I was leveling it to 70, but Haste can always be applied via a multitude of means other than gear. It's only now that I understand about the separate Haste Caps that it makes more sense to have Haste Gear too.

I've explained the Weapon Switching thing several times already, why would I need to switch weapons in a fight? Answer: I wouldn't. So why didn't I know that switching your weapon lost you your TP? Answer: Because I've never had to switch weapons in a fight.

The last line was because I knew there was a reason why Haste is so wanted on gear by pretty much any Physical DD. But I didn't understand it so I posed it in a way that would get people to explain it to me. Seriously, is it that hard to believe?

I would come up with a witty response but I can't be asked to feed the troll.

I respect the effort. Obv you aren't having trouble catching the gullibles like seha.

She's not gullible, it's called being open to inexperienced players and being willing to give advice. It's a respectable trait to have and there are many people in this thread alone who have shown themselves to have respect and decency when it comes to inexperienced players like myself, don't you dare berate them.

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »
This guy isn't your typical troll though, he just keeps luring you in as he makes you believe he's innocent, then, when the time is right, he'll get you, no, he'll *** you.

Oh for pity's sake, now this is just getting ridiculous.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-04-23 09:58:22  

Like, 99% off and 1% on?

Yeah, no. Troll thread.

Final reward from WOTG storyline. You can pick the augments, people typically pick the "wrong" ones for the wrong reasons.

Quetzalcoatl.Kenrusai said: »

reminds me of "The Thing"
How can he *** anyone, he's asking for advice.

He's genuine, swallow it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 10:00:08  

Like, 99% off and 1% on?

Yeah, no. Troll thread.

Final reward from WOTG storyline. you can pick the augments, people typically pick the "wrong" ones for the wrong reasons.

Ah right, just for future reference (I'll likely be going back over this thread from time to time to refresh my memory), what is the best reward for me as a Samurai to be picking?
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2013-04-23 10:00:58  

Moonshade Earring is your reward for finishing Wings of the Goddess missions. When you receive it, you have to choose 2 augments, see: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Moonshade_Earring. Choosing regain is a no-no, TP bonus is the way to go.

Edit: beaten, seems I type slow. For sam, attack and TP bonus.
[+]
 Cerberus.Cahlum
user: Cahlum
By Cerberus.Cahlum 2013-04-23 10:00:59  
TP Bonus +25 and Attack +4
 Cerberus.Katairyu
By Cerberus.Katairyu 2013-04-23 10:02:04  
Asura.Tamoa said: »

Moonshade Earring is your reward for finishing Wings of the Goddess missions. When you receive it, you have to choose 2 augments, see: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Moonshade_Earring. Choosing regain is a no-no, TP bonus is the way to go.

Edit: beaten, seems I type slow. For sam, attack and TP bonus.
Cerberus.Cahlum said: »
TP Bonus +25 and Attack +4

Cheers guys, I'll be sure to take note of this.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-04-23 10:02:42  
Like I said, and if he's a troll so what? I haven't argued with him, I gave advice, so I don't see why that would frustrate me in any way.
[+]