users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Just wondering about pld/sam
Just wondering about pld/sam
 Sylph.Lalo
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-07-01 20:12:03  
I'm a bit slow sometimes so may be it's been discussed already but i just wanted a quick answer. Would Pld/sam work in end-game stuff, i.e. tanking HNMs, gods, etc..

I mean seigan tanking seems very possible and it does not require any tools and it does not have to be casted, so no interruptions.

Yes, i'm aware of the lack of voke, but some events require pld/nin and yet the pld still does not have voke.

Idk... i'm just a bit tired and curious and bored.....

thnx
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-01 20:26:32  
I don't even play PLD, but my first impressions are from a tanking aspect dropping your shield and Utsusemi for abilities meant to soak up a few hits while providing better DD capabilities isn't too hot of an idea for a PLD. You'd be looking at using GS or I guess E-staff, either way the DD effect or Dmg reduction would be pretty negligible in comparison and would be more akin to a mix of blood and blink tanking, without really beating out either method. NIN's would kill for that sexy shield-block action.

Plus a tank's best friend are long-casting single-target spells for you to catch your breath on, and in this case you'd lose shield bash and would have to rely on someone else stunning or just eating a nuke altogether. lol

In short, pld/nin and pld/rdm have kind of been perfected as far as I can tell, so I can't see the need to mess with the recipe too much until some better offerings come along.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2009-07-01 20:29:31  
All other issues aside, Seigan has the unfortunate effect of screwing over your magic recasts which would interfere with flash, one of your main sources of hate. That and Seigan is rather unreliable and doesn't benefit from having support like utsu does (haste/march improving recasts).
 Seraph.Caiyuo
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-01 20:40:28  
Tarowyn said:
All other issues aside, Seigan has the unfortunate effect of screwing over your magic recasts which would interfere with flash, one of your main sources of hate. That and Seigan is rather unreliable and doesn't benefit from having support like utsu does (haste/march improving recasts).
lawl, didn't even think of that. This, more than anything, is your main reason to abandon pld/sam. Without voke, your recasts are your only line of defense and all the haste gear in the world can't counter the gawdawful seigan effect. D:
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-07-01 20:44:30  
No, the shield is too good to give up.
 Sylph.Lalo
サーバ: Sylph
user: jdelabra
By Sylph.Lalo 2009-07-01 20:45:03  
Oh i totally forgot about those nasty recast effects ><
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-07-01 20:45:51  
No.
Atonement, Atonement, Atonement!
Gives you way more DD Capability that using (I'm assuming) a G Sword on /sam.
If you're worried about casting interruptions use /rdm and aquaveil ;-P
 Odin.Karusan
サーバ: Odin
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-01 20:50:25  
Seigan you need to be dual wielding right?

Unless you're doing JoL or kiting Kirin there's not really any reason to lose shield end-game.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-07-04 01:28:14  
Seigan/Hasso work only if you are using a 2handed weapon.
 Seraph.Greyfin
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-07-04 01:33:38  
End-game: No , Merits: Yes, it can work, its been done and it works very well with the proper gear ^^
 Shiva.Artemicion
サーバ: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 01:35:31
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Gogo B- Great Sword usage? >_>;;
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-07-04 01:41:11  
Yup, it can work, it has been tested previously, for merits that is, and you have to be properly set up with a bardx2 or bard + corsair.

You forget SAM has a low polearm skill , yet that works really well in merits.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 01:43:30

True, however that's mainly because of the piercing bonus vs. flying mobs and it's rather convenient that most merit parties consist of colibri killing. I just can't see a great sword pulling of an equal balance of functionality, especially since many of the best GS weapon skills have INT mods which PLD is greatly lacking.

Not that secondary mods are of great significant importance but it sure as hell wouldn't help their case.
 Seraph.Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-07-04 01:46:23  
Yeah it would, I can't seem to find the vids and posts about it, but it was rather impressive what G.Sword PLD could do , PLD has access to a ton of the same gear a DRK has. Homam etc. for TP, and Heca for WS.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 01:48:34

Yeah, fortunately PLD has ridiculously high base STR and access to some of the best DD gear in the game including for TP builds as well. I suppose the type of GS and the mobs you're fighting are the primary factor for how well this can be pulled off.

Best I can see a PLD can use is the Subduer
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-04 01:54:19  
The thing about Subduer is, ideally you'd try for a 6-hit build if you're /SAM and 444 delay means there's no way you're getting a reasonable 6hit build. I'd favor Algol.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 01:56:59

Oh right... I'm so spoiled by SAM main I forget I have STP merits and a high tier natural trait of it. So yeah, Algol would definitely be favorable for a 6 hit build. Also I can only imagine how sexy that triple attack would be if it were to kick in on Spinning Slash.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-04 02:25:52  
The only problem with the 6hit is actually making the build without sacrificing precious ACC... Rajas, Brutal, and Chiv Chain are basically a given, or swap Chiv for PCC and use an Ecphoria Ring... Askar and Aurum bodies sacrifice too much, so Enkidu's Subligar fills out the build to the needed 12 sTP. Sattva/Tamas owners are SOL, there's no way they'll have high ACC with a sTP body. 10 ACC from fulltiming Hasso will help compensate for the B- skill.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-07-04 02:43:54

Sometimes the extra hit to reach 100% is worth keeping vital stats than sucking your way to what would be a six hit build, but really turns out to be an 8-9 hit build because you got rid of so much potential accuracy lol.
 Fairy.Legado
サーバ: Fairy
user: SirVergil
By Fairy.Legado 2009-07-04 03:08:13  
Don't Forget Seigan can't take in magic like a Stone V from Kirin, but /nin utsu can absorb that. So /sam is out of the question. Unless you want to DD.
 Seraph.Goldey
user: Goldey
By Seraph.Goldey 2009-07-04 03:29:37  
As has been said, PLD/SAM in endgame is just bad news, but coming from experience PLD/SAM for DD is really fun. With the strength gear (Hecatomb/Ares) and TP (Homam) it's really fun to see the numbers you can put up.

I mostly go to Campaign to mess around with it but end up tanking every mob I fight instead ><; Guess its the enmity merits to blame for that :3
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [145 days between previous and next post]
 Odin.Gellvos
サーバ: Odin
user: Gellvos
By Odin.Gellvos 2009-11-26 12:22:23  
whats the point in a shield if you are back tanking? or kite tanking