フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 130 131 132
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-09 10:51:23  
Taint said: »
I'd be all for bringing Bow back. Yoichi was my second Relic and one of my Favorites.

I can certainly understand the nostalgia with Yoichi- the weapon itself just has so many problems. Lackluster Weaponskill attached to it, incredibly lame aftermath that is both unnecessary and difficult to take advantage of (+30 racc for a Ranger these days is pointless, and +5 snapshot is hard to gear for varying preshot sets depending on AM up/AM down, along with varying based on Flurry levels), and the issues associated with Bow damage over Marksmanship....I don't see any kind of future for Yoichi no matter what they do.

My hope for Archery improvements (hell, it may also come with Ranger's job changes down the line) is twofold: some change to a weaponskill giving Archery a TP-scaling, WSD/AGI based WS to compete with Last Stand-improvements to Empyrean Arrow may do this; an increase to critical damage, not rate, attached to archery over marksmanship (that in my mind is a silly RPG/medieval weaponry desire, that a piercing arrow would have the highest critical damage possible due to the shredding and piercing nature of the design, even moreso than a bullet....again its silly, just a personal thing).

Ideally, giving archery a magical weaponskill in the lines of Wildfire (I'm not dreaming, I don't expect it on par with Trueflight) would be huge. But again, doesn't really line up with the history of the weapon.

I dunno folks, any other ideas on how to "fix" archery?
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2019-02-09 10:54:50  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
+5 snapshot is hard to gear for varying preshot sets depending on AM up/AM down
pretty easy in ashitacast actually.
By fonewear 2019-02-09 11:01:52  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Taint said: »
I'd be all for bringing Bow back. Yoichi was my second Relic and one of my Favorites.

I can certainly understand the nostalgia with Yoichi- the weapon itself just has so many problems. Lackluster Weaponskill attached to it, incredibly lame aftermath that is both unnecessary and difficult to take advantage of (+30 racc for a Ranger these days is pointless, and +5 snapshot is hard to gear for varying preshot sets depending on AM up/AM down, along with varying based on Flurry levels), and the issues associated with Bow damage over Marksmanship....I don't see any kind of future for Yoichi no matter what they do.

My hope for Archery improvements (hell, it may also come with Ranger's job changes down the line) is twofold: some change to a weaponskill giving Archery a TP-scaling, WSD/AGI based WS to compete with Last Stand-improvements to Empyrean Arrow may do this; an increase to critical damage, not rate, attached to archery over marksmanship (that in my mind is a silly RPG/medieval weaponry desire, that a piercing arrow would have the highest critical damage possible due to the shredding and piercing nature of the design, even moreso than a bullet....again its silly, just a personal thing).

Ideally, giving archery a magical weaponskill in the lines of Wildfire (I'm not dreaming, I don't expect it on par with Trueflight) would be huge. But again, doesn't really line up with the history of the weapon.

I dunno folks, any other ideas on how to "fix" archery?

How about a WS that does magical and physical dmg...I know it sounds crazy but it might work !

Maybe arrows that ignore magic defense...

Something that doesn't lock arrows to physical dmg.

Make flaming arrow WS overpowered...literally burns mobs over time.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-09 11:09:27  
fonewear said: »

How about a WS that does magical and physical dmg...I know it sounds crazy but it might work !

Maybe arrows that ignore magic defense...

Something that doesn't lock arrows to physical dmg.

Hybrid weaponskills are fun for great screenshots but I've had difficulty getting ones like Hot Shot to consistently perform at the level of say Trueflight. It might be doable, but when I compare to that situation, I'd rather have a straight magical WS for bow that's competitive than a hybrid one that occasionally is crazy good and usually is meh.

Arrows with PDL+ or something like that might be interesting. Would limit the buff to Archery not Ranger as a whole.
[+]
By fonewear 2019-02-09 11:11:56  
Since SE doesn't use logic they probably would say we could just add magic WS to bow but...that makes too much sense. We need to make it overly complicated !

Your arrows do fire dmg only on firesday !
[+]
By kunami 2019-02-09 11:15:37  
Some sets I have made that are just pulled from other posts before they go in the node:

ItemSet 364975

ItemSet 364973

ItemSet 364974

Ambuscade Weapons aren't in FFXIAH yet =\

For melee TP, how good is Scout Gorget PDL vs Iskur/Anu Torque etc...
For dual wield, Suppa or Carmine Cuisses?

How real is Decimation now?
 Asura.Zanosan
サーバ: Asura
user: Kutsurabi
By Asura.Zanosan 2019-02-09 11:24:56  
For your TP set Samnuha + Suppa should be better than Carmine + Telos and +2 neck will beat out Anu when you get use out of the PDL. For rings, Epona's and Petrov, I think, would be better?
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-02-09 13:11:24  
kunami said: »
Some sets I have made that are just pulled from other posts before they go in the node:

ItemSet 364975

ItemSet 364973

ItemSet 364974

Ambuscade Weapons aren't in FFXIAH yet =\

For melee TP, how good is Scout Gorget PDL vs Iskur/Anu Torque etc...
For dual wield, Suppa or Carmine Cuisses?

How real is Decimation now?

I've always thought Decimation was similar to Ruinator. Honestly it's a shame Mistral Axe wasn't on the Ambu axe. It would compliment RNG well since it can be used at 15' away from a target.
[+]
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2019-02-09 15:08:33  
Bow can still be used but it's only gandiva really and its very few fights like dyna wave2 boss bow is pretty good am3 from gandiva then apex arrow to ignore defense
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-02-09 18:30:15  
Asura.Zeroburning said: »
Bow can still be used but it's only gandiva really and its very few fights like dyna wave2 boss bow is pretty good am3 from gandiva then apex arrow to ignore defense

This is a good point, Gandiva is honestly probably the best RNG weapon on wave2 boss (but it gets trashed by magical WS on wave 3). It’s also perfectly fine, and occasionally could be ideal, on Omen and most RNG—friendly Ambuscades.

Certainly not necessary though, as you can use Last Stand with any of the RMEA marksmanship weapons for pretty similar results in the same situations - even if marksmanship falls somewhat behind Gandiva for those scenarios. And obviously, marksmanship adds the extremely valuable magical WS options. But if you also have a Gandiva, hey, it has its uses in a lot of current endgame.

Quote:
Dynamis
Speaking of Dyna weapons/WS, are people getting better wave 3 results with TF than WF with any weapons other than Gastra (without a RUN weakening the NM to Light)? Even with Gastra, how do TF/WF compare? I’ve rarely come RNG to Dyna since wave 3 existed, but recently had the chance and was surprised at just how much better WF was doing for me. Was using Armageddon (unaugmented at the time, but now r6 so getting even more favorable to WF), but still, wondering if WF holds up on the other weapons.

Now, I know the real answer is unfortunately that I should change to COR for even better Leadens and two extra party rolls. But I’m still curious, in the event I end up in there on RNG again some time.
 Phoenix.Iocus
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2019-02-09 18:44:13  
Apex Arrow doing anything close to the weaponskill description would be a step in the right direction. I was so underwhelmed the first time i used it. Aeonic bow is pretty rare because no one has anything nice to say except arrows for Jishnu's.

I'm usually decent at understanding game math so please correct me if I'm wrong. fSTR is based off Weapon Damage and in the case of Ranged it's only the Ranged Slot, not the ammo slot. Bows have higher fSTR caps in an era where stats a plentiful. Gun WSs are all AGI based and have better ftp ratings and slightly higher natural pdif cap.

If I'm right about the above then the easy fix is changing Apex and Jishnu's stat modifiers to STR. Apex is for abusing +2 neck and 3 ranks of pdl+. Make it more than 3.0 FTP or make it have multiple shots, anything to make the words fourfold make some sense please. Jishnu's is for white damage builds with decoy shot. 70 STR and 20 AGI on Gandiva would certainly make it more attractive than 70 DEX and 20 STR. The set bonus on empy armor will also naturally make a Jishnu's build look good so long as the pieces aren't rubbish and have some crit/crit dmg/dead aim on them.

This is the part were you all say you hate me: The moonshade earring has a property that damage occasionally varies with TP. I don't know if it work on ranged damage in truth and i know no one wants to give up TP bonus earring for any reason. If Jishnu's Radiance with that earring aug became the strongest physical RNG build because it scales up to an additional 2x multiplicative bonus on top of all the other multiplicative bonuses like crit damage, empy am3, and empy set bonus, then I would probably pick it. I'm not sure how this would apply to Gandiva and not Armageddon outside of blatant favoritism to Bows on Ranger's Job adjustments. When Empy sets come out, I'll probably flop my aug to try it out and attempt to make Jishnu's good because it's shiny and blinds me to common sense.
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2019-02-09 18:58:36  
even without Gam/Ry Gastra Tf can still do capped 9's if buffed properly i never really used Wildfire in wave3 was either doing Last stand or Tf in wave 3
By kunami 2019-02-09 19:25:09  
A little section is in the node now for melee stuff. I don't plan on doing rows for each level of haste or anything but there are a couple TP sets and SB/Evisceration
 Asura.Zanosan
user: Kutsurabi
By Asura.Zanosan 2019-02-09 20:01:31  
Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
Quote:
Dynamis
Speaking of Dyna weapons/WS, are people getting better wave 3 results with TF than WF with any weapons other than Gastra (without a RUN weakening the NM to Light)? Even with Gastra, how do TF/WF compare? I’ve rarely come RNG to Dyna since wave 3 existed, but recently had the chance and was surprised at just how much better WF was doing for me. Was using Armageddon (unaugmented at the time, but now r6 so getting even more favorable to WF), but still, wondering if WF holds up on the other weapons.

Now, I know the real answer is unfortunately that I should change to COR for even better Leadens and two extra party rolls. But I’m still curious, in the event I end up in there on RNG again some time.

I can't say that I've done Wildfire with RNG in Dynamis, but I have on our CORs, and seeing as they have better weaponskill gear than RNG, I can pretty confidently say that TF is much much better. Wildfire is a great alternative to Leaden on Wave 3 where you don't have Tenebrae Rayke on the Volte mobs, but it won't beat Trueflight on Volte. On the Wave 3 boss itself, I'm not sure how WF fairs since I don't think we've used it before, but seeing the damage that TF and LS pumps on it I highly doubt it. My reasoning being that because of the circles, the Wave 3 boss is SDT neutral between all the elements. Overall impression of Wildfire on Volte is that it's surprisingly decent. I had much lower expectations of it. But, yeah, it's only really an option for COR in my opinion.
[+]
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2019-02-09 20:15:23  
TF Affinity on Voltes is superior. This has to do with natural increased susceptibility of light damage on Fomor/Shadow Family of mobs.. Although as Zanosan stated, WF is not that bad of a second option.. Add a little dash of SCH Firestorm II love on it for some extra spice alongside RUN Gambit/Rayke...
[+]
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2019-02-09 21:16:12  
Im in Zan's boat here to never done Wildfire really on Rng because either you got gastra or fomal doing Trueflight only time i seen Wildfire used is by the Cors because we have more rngs then cors in my group and would do Lux Gam/ray Tf on fodders and Last stand hits pretty hard on the circles when you capped buffs
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-02-09 22:27:00  
Ahhhh... thanks everyone. Yeah, I totally spaced on the Voltes being weak to light, and I was only thinking about the Disjoined boss.

The RNG run I did last week was one where we had tanks sac the Voltes (while alliance just killed fetters) to get to mega boss ASAP. So I was only thinking about the boss, where TF kinda sucked.

In that sense, kinda cool that RNG really gets use out of three different WS for the stuff of consequence. Last Stand (or Jishnu) for wave 2 boss, TF for wave 3 voltes, WF for wave 3 boss (maybe Gastra TF still wins out, but I can't imagine any other weapon having the same results outside of the limited time where Rayke/Gambit is on... which gimps your CORs if you're weakening the boss to Light)

So yeah, RNG for Volte farming. Makes sense. If just rushing to boss to fill people's masks, WF seems to have a role. If you aren't just telling the RNGs to come COR instead.
[+]
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2019-02-09 22:39:45  
i mean in the runs ive done all the wave 3 boss even with them doing teneb Gam and rayke on the boss i have yet to lose on the parce Vs Cors using Trueflight on the boss thats with Cors keeping double shot and triple shot up full time with loaded deck merited i mean the Cors was right behind me on most of the runs i was only winning by 2~3% on the parce but we also ran a different set up then the set up that was posted in the cor forums
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-02-10 15:44:55  
Asura.Zeroburning said: »
i mean in the runs ive done all the wave 3 boss even with them doing teneb Gam and rayke on the boss i have yet to lose on the parce Vs Cors using Trueflight on the boss thats with Cors keeping double shot and triple shot up full time with loaded deck merited i mean the Cors was right behind me on most of the runs i was only winning by 2~3% on the parce but we also ran a different set up then the set up that was posted in the cor forums

Devil's advocate position = depending on your group's priorities (i.e., are you aiming to optimize for zone boss, or farming Voltes), having RNG swap to COR can be better for the group due to similar DPS from that player plus two more rolls to benefit the whole party. If CORs are only 2~3% behind RNG on a parse, that should be easy to more than make up via an extra couple of rolls for every DD in the party. Assuming you're trading out the RNG for a fairly well equipped COR (though with so much shared, I'd imagine most RNG have pretty solid COR setups as well).

For zone boss, I'd encourage people to at least see how your WF performs. I have good sets for both TF/WF (obviously almost the same gear), and I was very pleasantly surprised by WF. I personally don't have a Fomal or Gastra, so the advantages they give to TF over WF (TP Bonus, Gastra associated WS) may make it a case where sticking to TF is better damage. But if you're using Armageddon, WF seems like it will win comfortably - that was my experience even prior to getting some augments on Arma, and the gap will only widen with augs. For anyone using Coronach, Sharanga, or non-RMEA, those would be interesting to see and those weapons might also favor WF on boss.
 Odin.Slycooper
サーバ: Odin
user: Slycooper
By Odin.Slycooper 2019-02-10 16:31:53  
I have done dyna on RNG with a gastra and it does well on all aspects of the clear run. You can kill stones with the COR, the mid boss takes decent TF damage most of the time. The Volte mobs and fetters take good damage and so does the end boss.

One thing to look at is your Magic Accuracy. I notice that come wave 3 I need to add a little more MACC to my TF set.

I did just fine and could keep up with the other COR's. I was also in the tank party with no DD buffs at all.

Having the gastra is a large boost to your wave 3 damage.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-02-10 17:03:58  
There's a 12 song+roll cap. There is no 4 roll cap.

Post deleted by User.
By kunami 2019-02-12 11:27:40  
If anyone could get me some pictures of Crit AM3 cape, Jishnu's cape and melee capes that would be really great, especially if you can match the window style already in the node.

I will put your name in the credits, if that's any incentive.
 Cerberus.Resetti
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Freezepop
By Cerberus.Resetti 2019-02-13 23:35:21  
If anyone could get me some pictures of Crit AM3 cape, Jishnu's cape and melee capes that would be really great, especially if you can match the window style already in the node.

I will put your name in the credits, if that's any incentive.

Crit AM

Jishnu's

Melee

Trueflight Dream
By Pantafernando 2019-02-14 06:03:17  
I borrowed the COR guide (with permission) and stuck all of the community's work here over the last couple years in it. Don't need to make it a sticky or anything, but it's there for people's convenience if they want to use it to answer the repeated set questions we seem to get a lot in here.

node 365

Better to start a new thread otherwise this will be quickly buried in those pages and none will find it again.

Post deleted by User.
By kunami 2019-02-14 07:02:14  
Quote:
Better to start a new thread otherwise this will be quickly buried in those pages and none will find it again.

I plan to make a new thread once I add a few more finishing touches and polish.

Any ideas for a funny/clever name? I am trying to stick with "ranger" puns like "Home on the Range" etc...
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-14 12:07:29  

I plan to make a new thread once I add a few more finishing touches and polish.

Any ideas for a funny/clever name? I am trying to stick with "ranger" puns like "Home on the Range" etc...

1. "Oh to Suffer the Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Critics" (credit: Shakespeare)

2. "Bury me where my Arrow Falls" (Robin Hood)

3. "The Bow-hemian Rhapsody"

4. "Archery and Marksmanship- all the DPS, but a few Drawbacks"

5. "Arrow-dynamics: The study of Ranger'ing"
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-02-14 12:32:28  
Or if you prefer the Marksmanship direction of things:

1. "Keep your powder dry"

2. "Well-armed with Loaded questions"

3. "Bite the Bullet"

4. "Trigger Happy"

5. "Shootin' fish in a barrel"

6. "JRA: Juenoian Rifle Association-protecting your right to bear arms in Vana'diel!"
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 130 131 132