users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Corsair » Light shot
Light shot
 Bismarck.Nesumi
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Homa
By Bismarck.Nesumi 2013-05-28 23:49:17  
I have never had much problem landing any shots until SoA and these new mobs can be pretty resisty at times from T4, T5 in certain zones to megabosses. So, I have a question or two about light shot.

Can anyone comfirm that Dia 2 can be doubled up with 2 light shots while Dia 3 can not be?

When your light shot misses, would you still get the +5 effect? I remember reading that the effect still works, but couldn't find where I read it from anymore. Might go testing it out myself, but just wanting just check here first.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 04:55:33  
Correct on both.
For example on the second question, Light shot would be useless on any boss since you can't sleep them, but you don't need to land it to make the added effect proc.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-05-29 12:22:49  
Floating this out there and we may have discussed this elsewhere, but I forget if we did or not.

I used to think that light shot had to land and sleep something to enhance dia. This is not the case, as we now know.

In the same vein, have we been wrong about Dark Shot/Leaden Salute? Can you, in fact, buff Leaden Salute with AF3+2 feet without having to land/dispel something, or is it actually "working as intended" by being inconsistent in this fashion?

Or would a "missed" dark shot still enhance, say, Bio...but still not boost damage beacuse the damage boost is a seperate effect of the boots and shot enhancements are seperate factors from AF3 damage boosts?

(I'm pretty sure I just reasoned out and answered my own thought process there, but I digress.)
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 12:26:25  
I believe it's the last thing you said. The boost to bio still works even with a missed dispel, but the boots debuff doesn't. I think Afania tested this about Leaden.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-05-29 12:37:29  
Yeah. As you may notice, as soon as I started running it through my head I realized I wasn't exactly coming up with exciting new ideas. I just had to run in through the "SE's crazy game mechanics" filter in my brain and realize why we weren't about to get lucky here.

As much as I appreciate dispel/sleep, I miss light/dark shot just doing damage. Especially as in losing dark shot doing damage, AF3+2 boots subsequently devalued Death Penalty even more compared to Armageddon.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 12:39:50  
Something like 2 years ago they said they'd put damage on Light and Dark shot(and native enfeebles to the other 6)...I am still waiting.

Anyway DP post update is gonna be *** in hands awesome since it's gonna have bumped damage for even higher QD damage and an awesome ws with Wildfire.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-05-29 12:42:02  
I have had the missed argument with a few other CORs in my LS. To me, if Light/Dark Shot has no effect, then the JA is actually landing and the primary effect (sleep/dispel) didn't proc, however since it landed, then he added debuff effect will proc.

Now if it is a full miss, then then the added debuff effect has no chance of procing.

Similar to en-spells. You canget the extra magic damage if you deal 0 melee damage, but you can't deal magic damage if you miss the target.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 12:44:38  
Light/Dark shot to completely miss though is rare, most of the time it just fails. And one thing is the basic boost of the JA, another is the debuff that boots apply to the mob which is what is believed to be necessary to land completely.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-05-29 12:54:08  
I have seen a lot of misses on Legion bosses.

Also, concerning 99 Death Penalty. At what point does the extra damage get calculated? Is it right after initial damage formula, before staff, MAB, and weather?

I wonder how pissed off 99 DP users will feel about RNG/COR being able to out damage their QDs
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 12:56:04  
Rangers won't do more QD than a DP cor. Surefire Arquebus is still largely behind DP.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2013-05-29 13:12:50  
99 Anni + New Plasm Ammo = 2*(76+196)=544 base DMG, not counting the REM change

99 DP + Midrium Bullet = [2*(64+115)]*1.6 = 470 base damage - that is assuming the QD DMG increase is in that stage. And since COR never gets the high damage ammo that RNG gets, I assume Midrium is the top ammo
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 13:22:30  
They mentioned the new delve ammo, bullet was stated to have 196 damage and be content level 14(if they put new craftable above that it'll be an insane price that nobody pays..ormolu bullets or something lol)
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-05-29 13:26:50  
ormolu bullets are a nice step, but i'm still holding out to be able to dart my excal for an out-of-abyssea brew
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-05-29 13:41:49  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Something like 2 years ago they said they'd put damage on Light and Dark shot(and native enfeebles to the other 6)...I am still waiting. Anyway DP post update is gonna be *** in hands awesome since it's gonna have bumped damage for even higher QD damage and an awesome ws with Wildfire.

I still might be the only person not excited about Empyrean weaponskills being transferable. If for no other reason than the fact that residue and dice are going to be mad annoying to come by...and I really, really, really don't want to kill Hovering Hotpot again just to make an inferior weapon to transfer weaponskills. -.-;
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-29 13:42:48  
Oh believe me, the idea of needing to camp those nm again makes me want to use the gun to shoot myself.
[+]
 Asura.Jem
サーバ: Asura
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2013-05-29 13:51:14  
I am assuming COR will get the new Plasm ammo purely because they kinda linked it to being able to purchase the Delve weapon. In my mind that means the ammo will be available to the same jobs that are on the Delve weapon but obviously we don't know either way yet.
 Ragnarok.Afania
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2013-05-29 15:16:26  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Floating this out there and we may have discussed this elsewhere, but I forget if we did or not.

I used to think that light shot had to land and sleep something to enhance dia. This is not the case, as we now know.

In the same vein, have we been wrong about Dark Shot/Leaden Salute? Can you, in fact, buff Leaden Salute with AF3+2 feet without having to land/dispel something, or is it actually "working as intended" by being inconsistent in this fashion?

Or would a "missed" dark shot still enhance, say, Bio...but still not boost damage beacuse the damage boost is a seperate effect of the boots and shot enhancements are seperate factors from AF3 damage boosts?

(I'm pretty sure I just reasoned out and answered my own thought process there, but I digress.)

Light shot/dark shot miss/no effect issue was posted very long time ago. I may not remember the detail correctly and SE may ninja change it in past 2 years, but this is how no effect/miss for light/dark shot works:

If you use light shot on unsleepable NM, you will get "miss" msg, you can still enhance dia effect and but I've never test light nuke dmg after a missed light shot.

If you use light shot on a sleep-able mob, wait for 30 sec and use light shot again, you will get "no effect" msg. If you nuke with holy right after 2nd "no effect" light shot, your holy dmg won't increase. It did increase if you nuke right after mobs slept with 1st light shot.

I think "no effect" dark shot also won't enhance leaden salute.
If mob has nothing to dispel, you get "no effect" msg but not "miss" msg. I'm not sure whether "no effect" dark shot work on bio or not though. It may be possible that no effect msg still increase bio effect but just no dark nuke dmg.
 Bismarck.Nesumi
By Bismarck.Nesumi 2013-05-29 22:48:38  
Light shot misses A LOT for high tier new content mobs. Was able to land it 3/12 of the time on the delve bee boss, landed ~1/25-30 on T-rex. T4 and T5 morimar have lower than 10% land rate. All of these mobs are sleepable. This is why I wanted to know for sure if missed light shot adds any effect boost to Dia 3. It's kinda tricky to test because I can only test on these mobs.
By Afania 2013-05-30 00:29:01  
Bismarck.Nesumi said: »
Light shot misses A LOT for high tier new content mobs. Was able to land it 3/12 of the time on the delve bee boss, landed ~1/25-30 on T-rex. T4 and T5 morimar have lower than 10% land rate. All of these mobs are sleepable. This is why I wanted to know for sure if missed light shot adds any effect boost to Dia 3. It's kinda tricky to test because I can only test on these mobs.

It also misses on any un-sleepable NM. I think you may need a different gear set/merit if you want to sleep T4/T5.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-30 04:48:37  
I slept eft nm loads of time when trying to recover from a wipe once. Landed every single time, just got shorter and shorter due to resistance build. And I used my usual damage QD set. I honestly didn't believe you could sleep the naakuals(why would you anyway).
 Bismarck.Nesumi
By Bismarck.Nesumi 2013-05-30 05:42:46  
No, the intent is not to sleep them, it's to get the Dia 3 boost effect. And, yes they can be slept. Fought and won the bee boss here already anyway. Eft is a lower tier mob, I landed in one shot every single time too. It's really some of the T4-T5 and megabosses that are hard to land the shot on. I used almost all AGI/M acc gears available in game pretty much, besided the new ring that will come from boss and need more plasm to get the uber pants. Capped AGI and QD M acc merits here.

ItemSet 301775
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2013-05-30 05:46:50  
I get that was the intent...but what I meant was why would you even check if sleep landed(since I thought it wasn't possible on naakuals). Cause as we know the dia boost procs without sleep too.

That qd acc set can be improved anyway with Armageddon, faith torque, moepapa ring and arvina ring. And omphalos bullet of course.
 Bismarck.Nesumi
By Bismarck.Nesumi 2013-05-30 05:53:37  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I get that was the intent...but what I meant was why would you even check if sleep landed(since I thought it wasn't possible on naakuals). Cause as we know the dia boost procs without sleep too.

That qd acc set can be improved anyway with Armageddon, faith torque, moepapa ring and arvina ring. And omphalos bullet of course.

Well , I don't know for sure and a lot of ppl think it's a myth that you don't need to land it (which is why I started the thread!) Bullet doesn't wanna drop for me. Got it a dozen times on mule. ; ;
 Asura.Kurriko
サーバ: Asura
user: chasca
By Asura.Kurriko 2013-05-31 01:17:23  
Whats confusing about the miss/no effect message? Miss means the mob resisted, no effect means it has no effect (because it has nothing to dispel or is already asleep). It's identical to enfeebling magic's Resist/No effect messages.

Being able to sleep Naakuals would give you another make-shift Stun. The benefit being it won't impact the speed in which the enemy builds resistance to stun. If you could sleep Naarkuals then you could save Stun for bad TP moves and just Light Shot any damaging magic Aga/Ajas.
Not that it's a big deal though as you'd be using Aegis Plds and mainly Rangers if you have any hope of clearing delve naarkuals.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [121 days between previous and next post]

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2013-09-28 13:54:11  
+10% slow, and no not double dmg dot

Post deleted by User.