フォーラム » FFXI » General » Ubuntu ftl.
Ubuntu ftl.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-07-06 11:01:28  
Ooooookay, sooooo...
I got this virus on my computer a few days ago. It made it so I couldn't sign into it at all. (New virus, pretty common lately, I'm sure some of you have heard of it) Anyway, I wiped the hard drive and installed Linux Ubuntu on my PC. Works fine and all that, except for one problem. I can't play FFXI.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem with Ubuntu or not, because for the life of me, I can't think of anyone that I know that actually uses Ubuntu, but at this point, I really don't have a choice. So, what? Am I just doomed then? Lol.

If anyone actually uses Ubuntu, and/or has found a fix for the problem, any advice would be appreciated.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-07-06 11:20:11  
Linux noob. RTFM. If you haven't realized yet, Windows programs are not compatible with Linux, only running in emulation software such as Wine which has been painstakingly created over the last several years to allow such frivolous BS as you propose.

User submitted image
A hearty "harumph!" to you, sir.

First you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ffxi+linux

and then you: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2739

ninja edit:
Rowland said:
I think there's a girl I know who uses Linux, I think I remember her saying something about you can special order FFXI discs for linux. But I dunno if she ever got them or not.
No.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2009-07-06 11:27:21  
The structure of the two os's are completely different, if you want it to work SE would have to release a Linux version specifically. There are ways around it though you can use a windows emulator to run it but it's not very reliable last time I checked. The one I've seen used is called Wine. FFXI is the ONLY reason I still use a microsoft product.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=109404

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739

http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14827
 Ragnarok.Miraeldito
By Ragnarok.Miraeldito 2009-07-06 11:38:04  
1 of my ls mate recently installed Ubuntu on his pc and he told me that in game, so I guess is possible.
I'll ask him to get a look to this topic as soon as I see him online :)
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-06 11:46:47  
As said before, at their core the operating systems are very different, so it's not as straight-forward as most would hope, but through the use of Wine many Linux users have actually had FFXI run faster/more efficiently than in a normal windows installation.

Read Sekundes' links for a direction on where to start. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :D I laughed when I saw this thread because I'm actually in the middle of installing Ubuntu in Virtualbox. lol Good luck.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2009-07-06 12:41:36  
I've got pretty terrible luck getting stuff like this to work, but if I do get it working at the least so that there are non graphic's issues like the z problems and shadow issues people tend to have, I certainly won't be bothering with windows again. Can one hope that they will develop a release for 14 on linux?
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-07-06 13:02:08  
Sekundes said:
I've got pretty terrible luck getting stuff like this to work, but if I do get it working at the least so that there are non graphic's issues like the z problems and shadow issues people tend to have, I certainly won't be bothering with windows again. Can one hope that they will develop a release for 14 on linux?

Doubtful.

Even though it has been making significant gains in terms of market share Linux is still a minority by far for a desktop OS. Not to mention that there can be vast differences between the various Linux distros that are a barrier to making a Linux version as well. It's difficult for developers to justify the extra development time for Linux ports given the relatively tiny market. Even Mac ports are few and far between these days.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-07-06 13:46:16  
Well Mac/PC in the past was different, because Macs couldn't run windows, so you were basically stuck with your machine unable to run games, that's why some games have been ported to Mac. Now with Linux (and recent Mac), it's just a software issue, not architecture, that's why companies doesn't waste time and money to make Linux port of game, since a Linux user can basically run Windows. Ok Windows ain't free and you're supposed to buy it, but still...

As for Linux market share, cannot even count how many people are "Linux users". What matters are how many household got a computer with nothing but Linux installed on it. And that's certainly way under 0.5%. Most of Linux users still got a computer with Windows, especially if they're using it for gaming.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
サーバ: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2009-07-06 13:52:00  
http://wineffxi.org/

They've got FFXI running in linux, if your machine is beefy and can handle the emulation. I recommend trying it out at least, as learning linux could be good for you!
[+]
 Ragnarok.Belthasar
user: Belthasar
By Ragnarok.Belthasar 2009-07-06 16:15:18  
I play ffxi on my laptop from Ubuntu 9.04, with no lag, no problems, nothing, perfect emulation.

Just install latest version of Wine (1.1.24) and then follow the HowTo instructions here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2739

(just scroll down)

The laptop has a nvidia 8xxx series video card and a Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz, plus 2GB of ram. I see no slowdowns whatsoever.

Oh don't forget to install proprietary Nvidia Drivers for Ubuntu ^^
 Fairy.Azulmagia
サーバ: Fairy
user: Azulmagia
By Fairy.Azulmagia 2009-07-06 16:43:53  
I was looking forward to testing FFXI in Wine (just got Jaunty the other day)... only I lost my installation CDs. I haven't been arsed to get another copy of the game :B
 Asura.Miseko
サーバ: Asura
user: Miseko
By Asura.Miseko 2009-07-06 17:25:54  
For some reason when I had linux on my laptop, I downloaded Wine, but when I opened PlayOnline Viewer all I got was the music and a blank window, it didn't show any options.

Right now I'm going back to Windows 7, and gonna partition my hdd to put Linux on it, but I would like to figure out what happened. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks ^^;