フォーラム » FFXI » General » Chocobo Help
Chocobo Help
 Sylph.Jax
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 12:39:15  
Hi!
I had a question about chocobo abilities because I can't seem to figure it out and find the answer.
I have read the wiki chocobo guide multiple times, so I do know the requirements for a chocobo to learn an ability.
The thing is.. I taught my chocobo "Gallop" within a span of maybe... 4 days? A week tops..
And now I'm trying to teach it "The Story of a Worrisome Chocobo." I probably have read this story over and over for about 50 days and it has yet to learn anything. He's about 90 days old already, his affection is 95% of the time regards as a parent and both receptivity and discernment are both average.
Does anyone know why he's not learning this story? Am I doing something wrong? Please help it's really driving me nuts!
Thanks ^0^
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-15 12:51:50  
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but so far that's all I've found on that matter:

Quote:
Remember, as Chocobo grow older, they learn much slower until they eventually cannot learn at all -seemingly around 100 days or so- with dramatic slowdown long before that. If spread too thin, the "balanced chocobo" may not learn all the desired abilities, or even get close to 1st class in just two attributes, let alone all four.
Think that'd be an issue yet?

Link: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Chocobo_Raising_Guide
 Sylph.Jax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 12:54:02  
If I been reading the same story to it since day 39, why hasn't it learned it yet?
My chocobo is almost 100 days old, really doesn't seem fair since I've been reading to the fool for over 50 days!
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-15 12:55:28  
The higher your Discernment is, the better the chances of it "learning" a story. It's possible that "Average" isn't high enough to learn it.
 Sylph.Jax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 12:57:29  
My chocobo learned Gallop with "A bit deficient" though... (?-?)
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-15 13:03:12  
Well is he a first generation birdy? That article goes on to say:
Quote:
Especially if this is your first generation, be wary of making a chocobo that is too average and useless. Balance is much better achieved in well managed training and breeding. Specialization in a particular attribute, though in the short-term may seem unbalanced, helps to produce much better baby chocobo's later on. It is easier to breed two chocobo with opposing attributes (a racer and a digger) to get a "balanced chocobo" then it is to attempt and do it all at once in the first generation.
It may just be that he's a big loser that is easily intimidated by hulking metal arms? Either way by now I don't think he's going to learn it if the article is correct about the number of days. :/
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-15 13:04:07  
Quote:
Discernment - is a must for anyone who wants their chocobo to learn new abilities. This increases the likelihood of learning an ability. While it is still possible to learn an ability with low Discernment, the chances are slimmer and some abilities appear more difficult to aquire with low Discernment than others. It is possible to raise this to average quickly to learn two abilities, and switch the care plan to have a first class speedy chocobo. You may want to consider raising this attribute if you are interested in digging for treasure, as it increases the distance between how far you need to be to the chest to dig it up.

Because it can learn one story, doesn't mean it's guarenteed to learn another. Like Caiyou quoted, age plays a big factor and it's possible your chocobo is simply too old to learn anything else. My choco had learned both stories I wanted it to before it was 25, so I can't really give any other information about it based on personal experience. All I know is I fed mine aimed towards the "Digger Chocobo" work in the Wiki Guide.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-15 13:05:11  
you can also only learn two abilities so make sure he hasnt already learned 2. also, just out of personal opinion i normally go with burrow/bore for digger chocobo breeding and gallop/(cantor or auto-regen) for racing chocobos. remember that they can pass along traits to offspring (allowing you to spend more time on teching stats instead of abilities at youth) if you decide to become serious about breeding.

from wiki:
Quote:

Your chocobo will auto-retire on day 129. (Note: At no point is it necessary to retire your chocobo in order to ride it, breed it or anything else. Retire it only if you wish to begin raising a new chocobo.)
You will be updated daily on your chocobo's status, as well, all cutscenes from the young chocobo phase will still occur in this phase.
On or around day 43, you may receive a message "Your chocobo is in the prime of its life." It was once "Your chocobo's attributes are at its peak" even though its stats could and would still increase after this point. It is assumed that this was a mis-translation that has been corrected.
On or around day 43, you may receive a message "You have done a magnificent job raising this chocobo. Now is the best time to improve its attributes. I must say, <name chocobo> is beginning to develop quite a distinguished air." You may or may not have both abilities by this day.
On or around day 64, you may receive a message saying something about how distinguished your chocobo looks. It has been shown that once you get this message the chocobo's attributes no longer increase through the use of care plans. It may still be possible to increase stats with carrots and the racing association's intense training programs however.

i have found, personally, that my chocobo gets HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE after day 43 for learning abilities. Also, when i was first breeding before i had ingrained abilities to pass along from the parents, it was extremely hard for me to 1) take them up to average Discernment and Receptivity AND 2) learn 2 abilities and still get them to First Class in Strength and Endurance.

It did pay off though because i had a Black digger chocobo with capped stats and burrow/bore and i still have a capped stat blue female with gallop and auto-regen (i should go and get my choco torque D:).

If you need any help with choco breeding id be happy to post again.
 Sylph.Jax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 13:05:32  
No! This is my like 4th chocobo! He's the first one I tried to build for digging but what the ef.
GAWD. Stupid chocobo! Wasted months trying to perfect him. >:O Now I have to start all over again, what a drag..
Thanks Caiyuo lolz
 Sylph.Jax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 13:07:04  
Thanks guys! So glad I finally know what the hell went wrong. Guess it's time to retire this one now. :(
/cry
He was even pretty :(
 Sylph.Jax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 13:07:32  
Hitetsu said:
Quote:
Discernment - is a must for anyone who wants their chocobo to learn new abilities. This increases the likelihood of learning an ability. While it is still possible to learn an ability with low Discernment, the chances are slimmer and some abilities appear more difficult to aquire with low Discernment than others. It is possible to raise this to average quickly to learn two abilities, and switch the care plan to have a first class speedy chocobo. You may want to consider raising this attribute if you are interested in digging for treasure, as it increases the distance between how far you need to be to the chest to dig it up.

Because it can learn one story, doesn't mean it's guarenteed to learn another. Like Caiyou quoted, age plays a big factor and it's possible your chocobo is simply too old to learn anything else. My choco had learned both stories I wanted it to before it was 25, so I can't really give any other information about it based on personal experience. All I know is I fed mine aimed towards the "Digger Chocobo" work in the Wiki Guide.

and wait, chocobo can learn abilities before adulthood?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-15 13:08:52  
they can learn abilities as soon as you can read them a story assuming their stats are high enough
 Sylph.Jax
By Sylph.Jax 2009-07-15 13:10:50  
so thats like the moment they come out of the egg... i wish i had known this 3 chocobos ago....
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-15 13:14:41  
You still need the stories! lol The guy from the article I keep quoting seems to have some good insights on how to go about breeding, combining and figuring out the best method for getting what you want out of your birdies. I gave up on mine long ago, but he was red and Top Strength, which is all that matters to Sandy Elfs, naturally. :D
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-15 13:20:55  
Caiyuo said:
but he was red and Top Strength, which is all that matters to Sandy Elfs, naturally. :D

^
 Carbuncle.Kyri
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-15 14:07:44  
chocos have driven me insane, like really, Blue male + blue female = black male WTF?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-07-15 14:09:40  
Kyri said:
chocos have driven me insane, like really, Blue male + blue female = black male WTF?

Black male, Blackfemale = Yellow female wtf >_>

I want white!