The Sears Tower No Longer Exists.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The Sears Tower no longer exists.
The Sears Tower no longer exists.
 Fairy.Ninelives
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Ninelives
By Fairy.Ninelives 2009-07-18 08:02:36  
I'm reading this topic and seeing people compare the Sears Tower to the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, and the Great Wall of China. Really? REALLY?

It's an office building. A big office building, but a place of business nonetheless. Buildings, arenas, sports stadiums, and performance venues are bought and renamed every day. I'd argue that Wrigley Field is the "most iconic building in Chicago" over the Willis Tower, but if new ownership decided to rename it the Chicago Tribune Field or sell the naming rights to some random cell phone company who cares? The building is still there.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 11:35:12  
I would normally just stop at this point, because at least I know most people care about these kind of issues, but hell I got some time to kill before dynamis so let's start.

Faiye said:
Blazza said:
I'm not sure why you have a problem with me having a problem with people caring about the name change Barti :p

Seriously, I don't really give a ***either way, I just don't understand how people could get worked up about something that really doesn't effect them at all.

Clearly you're not from Chicago...

Ok. This makes sense, as he is not even from the USA.

Chupacabra said:
Blazza, If we stop caring about inanimate objects like buildings and cars... What we will care/obsess about? Other people!? ... uggh, I threw up a little in my mouth.

It's not just a building the Sears Tower is a landmark. Landmarks represent history. So what would have us caring about? Human rights abuses in other countries? Yeah cause the average American can actually make a difference about this. I do care about other people, but I'm not going to make a post about my best friend, mother, father, other family etc., not a lot of people have heard about them. If I posted a thread about my mom's double knee replacement surgeory, or my step-grandmother having lung cancer, I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge conversation topic.

Blazza said:
I think you're the one that's missing the point. The point is, I really don't give a crap, it's just a name, call it what you want. To you, it still is, and always will be Sear's Tower, so it really doesn't matter a damn what it's actually called now does it?

As for buying a landmark, why wouldn't you? You'll probably find that most sporting venues are owned or sponsored by major corporations for the sole purpose of sticking their names on it for advertising, and without that sponsorship, some of your favourite sports would have no-where to be played.

As for the Yankee stadium, well, they're not ripping down Sear's tower and re-building it somewhere else, it's just a name change, so that example hardly fits.

Moral of the story: Get over it, it's a name.

Faiye said:
Blazza said:
I'm not sure why you have a problem with me having a problem with people caring about the name change Barti :p

Seriously, I don't really give a ***either way, I just don't understand how people could get worked up about something that really doesn't effect them at all.

Clearly I'm not from America and don't get worked up over pointless ***.

Like you have guess, I do think renaming Landmark isn't pointless ***. And I'm not missing you're point! You just don't care about the renaming of buildings. Point taken, so there's no reason to let you know why people care. Cause as you have said you don't care. So what can I say, if you don't care, you don't care. I was just letting you, or trying to make you understand *WHY* people do care.
Buying landmarks and renaming them to you're business, believe or not is, considered without heart or compassion for those who grew up with these landmarks names.

Raikan said:
Faiye said:

Clearly he's not from the USA.

The Sidney Opera House is now the Trevor L. Lechleiter Performing Arts Venue.

Also, your moral is stupid.

Yeah good example, would have used it if I knew he was from that country. But as you can see he doesn't care about the name changes of Landmarks, so although I totally would have used your example, a nice one by the way, he doesn't care. We could call it the Emo performing arts center, and well guess what, he still wouldn't care. So...

Faiye said:
Blazza said:

Clearly I'm not from America and don't get worked up over pointless poop.

FTFY.

I think everyone here got your point on your first post. So maybe you can put your money where your mouth is and stop getting "worked up" and posting the same reply over and over again.

Exactly. Thank you.

Ninelives said:
I'm reading this topic and seeing people compare the Sears Tower to the Statue of Liberty, the Eiffel Tower, and the Great Wall of China. Really? REALLY?

It's an office building. A big office building, but a place of business nonetheless. Buildings, arenas, sports stadiums, and performance venues are bought and renamed every day. I'd argue that Wrigley Field is the "most iconic building in Chicago" over the Willis Tower, but if new ownership decided to rename it the Chicago Tribune Field or sell the naming rights to some random cell phone company who cares? The building is still there.

Sears Tower = Landmark. Once you can grasp that concept, then all other landmarks can be used as an example. FYI: Eiffel Tower wasn't used, but would have been a nice example if people cared.

You're right though on this point, If the name changes, the building is still there. We know this. But the name is important as the building itself to those with a heart and compassion for history. /End this talk, because so far we found 2 people who have no heart in a historic sense.

Eternaltriumph said:
Let's go to Australia and change the names of Dingos and Kangaroos. does it make sense? No. Would Australians be pissed? Yes. Would they USE the new names? No.

How does it fit it? Australia is known for those animals, just like Chitown is known for the Sears Tower and being the "Windy City".

Bad example, but you're heart's in the right place. Nice try though, seriously.

Bartimaeus said:
I'm not sure why you have a problem with people caring about the namechange, Blazza lol.

3 hours from Chicago and every man woman and child here knows what the Sears Tower is. The name is part of the memory and history of the tower itself.

^^ I should have just quoted this from the beginning!

Kungfuhustle said:
WE GIVE A CRAP BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANYTHING ELSE TO GIVE A CRAP ABOUT.
/ramblerambleramble

LOL! There is other stuff to give a crap about, but this is recent and well something people feel they could actually affect.
/end rambliningramble

Kungfuhustle said:
I WANT TO RENAME CALIFORNIA TO "HOMOVILLE!"

LOLZ! Extreme example. Would this upset anyone? After all it's just a name...

Ludoggy said:
Its like renaming the Triborough bridge RFK bridge...its really just lame

Yeah it was!

OK anyway I'm done. Gotta work on my buffer now for dynamis.

So If you don't care about the names of historic buildings, that's fine. But if you wonder why people care and we explain to you why, then stop saying you don't give a ***. Cause we do!
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-18 11:41:33  
So, because I don't care about the name change of a building, I want your step-grandmother to die of lung cancer?

Whoa, I'm an ***.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-18 11:42:50  
Lets rename the Sears Tower to "Big Target", cz you know them terrorists got their eyes on it.

Yeah, Homoville is a bit extreme, but its accurate.

I don't wanna obsess over other people, they're not as big/cool/shiny as inanimate objects.
 Lakshmi.Rylis
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Rylis
By Lakshmi.Rylis 2009-07-18 12:20:56  
Eh.. Buildings get renamed rather often.. And despite that it is a popular and 'historic' building, it isn't any different, really..

Many people will still call it the same as they had before, and only in the terms of formality shall it actually see a difference..

It's similar to many ballparks, stadiums, fields, etc..

In Cleveland, you have Jacobs Field, which was often referred to as 'The Jake'.. Last year, the naming rights expired, and it was renamed to Progressive Field (because the insurance company purchased the rights).. Do you think anyone calls it Progressive Field?

Names are a silly matter.. Something is whatever you call it, really.. As it turns out, the building didn't respond when you tried calling it Sears Tower, either.

As for what is and isn't a landmark.. By the logic of 'landmarks shouldn't be changed' and similarly by the logic that a 40-year old building is a landmark, we shouldn't build anything on any portion of the planet, as it's all a big landmark. Who can objectively qualify a landmark?

And in the end, if you have decided that it is a landmark, and that it is such because it has a strong history and overpowering notoriety within the city of Chicago, it shouldn't matter if the name changes because it shouldn't be anything other than an official name that won't be used, anyway.

Otherwise, the building simply has no inherent and necessary name, and when the name is phased out, only a few people will be sitting there saying that the city can't live without the name being what it used to be.
 Fenrir.Meeky
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Meekriot
By Fenrir.Meeky 2009-07-18 13:13:53  
Blazza said:
So, because I don't care about the name change of a building, I want your step-grandmother to die of lung cancer?

Whoa, I'm an ***.

Dude, you reply to every thread. Damn
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-18 13:15:08  
Meeky said:
Blazza said:

Whoa, I'm an ***.

Yeah, not much else to do atm while I recuperate from getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Levelling my blm just seems like too much effort right now -_-
 Fenrir.Meeky
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Meekriot
By Fenrir.Meeky 2009-07-18 13:16:28  
Blazza said:
Meeky said:
Blazza said:

Whoa, I'm an ***.

Yeah, not much else to do atm while I recuperate from getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Levelling my blm just seems like too much effort right now -_-

Wisdom teeth suck, in that case, {Understood} /comfort lol
サーバ: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-07-18 13:17:05  
Blazza said:

Bummer...luckily I never had to get mine yanked, they came in just fine.
 Asura.Sharpe
サーバ: Asura
user: Takezaki
By Asura.Sharpe 2009-07-18 13:42:00  
Brilliant PR by Willis here. All this moaning is playing right into their hands. If people had just kept quiet then people would have gone on calling it the Sears Tower. Now everybody is "OMG I can't believe it's called the Willis Tower" they've got far more publicity from the people moaning about it than I think they ever could have imagined getting.
 Odin.Moondaddy
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-07-18 14:19:12  
blazza just needs to down a few more pain meds then he be ok
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-18 14:43:19  
I'm going to rename the Mid-West to "BORING"
 Bahamut.Rumaha
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Rumaha
By Bahamut.Rumaha 2009-07-18 15:19:13  
Sharpe said:
Brilliant PR by Willis here. All this moaning is playing right into their hands. If people had just kept quiet then people would have gone on calling it the Sears Tower. Now everybody is "OMG I can't believe it's called the Willis Tower" they've got far more publicity from the people moaning about it than I think they ever could have imagined getting.

Honestly, this is correct lol.

But i think its stupid they changed the name yea.
 Cerberus.Nieko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-07-18 18:24:57  
/
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-18 18:27:37  
NUFFING I SAY!
 Cerberus.Nieko
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Nieko
By Cerberus.Nieko 2009-07-18 19:09:55  
Kungfuhustle said:
I'm going to rename the Mid-West to "BORING"

this
 Lakshmi.Dmnone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: dmnone
By Lakshmi.Dmnone 2009-07-18 20:29:08  
Just say its been renamed i that George bush had attacked again
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 21:02:57  
Blazza said:

Whoa, I'm an ***.

Lol! You must be bored, how out of that whole post you got that... baffles the mind!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 21:04:45  
Moondaddy said:
blazza just needs to down a few more pain meds then he be ok

Or maybe he's just taking too much, LOL!
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-18 21:15:08  
I'm going to rename Florida to "Retirement/Spring Break CUNTRY", gonna rename Alaska to "Satan's Freezer", Texas to "Republicanville", New York to "Fuggitdaboutit", and Las Vegas to "Satan's Playground"
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 21:17:10  
Kungfuhustle said:
I'm going to rename Florida to "Retirement/Spring Break CUNTRY", gonna rename Alaska to "Satan's Freezer", Texas to "Republicanville", New York to "Fuggitdaboutit", and Las Vegas to "Satan's Playground"

LOL! I think Satan's Freezer might attract more tourists too.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-07-18 21:18:11  
LOL@NewYork. haha :x
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-18 21:18:38  
Oh yeah, Los Angelos will be renamed "Crip & Blood Ville"
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 21:35:31  
/derail

User submitted image

User submitted image

/end derail
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-08-01 19:41:48  
Let's buy the Statue of Liberty and rename it the statue of .. hmm... Hello Kitty Sanrioville and see how most Americans feel about it lol Some would probably start a riot.

People will care if it means something to them and they won't if it's something that never crossed their mind, it's simple to understand, Blazza. I think I get the people's point. Eventually, you will realize that the USA were not called the USA, 1000 years ago (the land belonged to people who are mostly dead as we speak), and that in 25000 years, they most definitely won't be called that anymore. They'll be called whatever else and people will once again attach some meaning to whatever it is called, and whatever history it has. Because people feel it makes their life less meaningless.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-08-01 19:50:43  
Omg, let's not start this ***again.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-01 19:53:25  
I WOULD LIKE TO RENAME FLORIDA "MY GIANT ***", BECAUSE ON THE MAP, IT LOOKS LIKE MY GIANT ***!
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-08-01 20:01:42  
Kungfuhustle said:
I WOULD LIKE TO RENAME FLORIDA "MY GIANT ***", BECAUSE ON THE MAP, IT LOOKS LIKE MY GIANT ***!

kinda limp dont you think?
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-08-01 20:03:17  
Ludoggy said:
Kungfuhustle said:

kinda limp dont you think?

no, Im just hung lol... Besides, if it got an erection, we'd be *** Europe right in the face
[+]
 Ragnarok.Psyence
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-08-02 00:32:21  
Ninelives said:

To me, it's just constructions that people attach meaning to. You may feel that a monument like the wall of China is any different than a commercial building like the Yankee stadium or a military building like the Pentagon, but in the end, all those things were made with money, and with money in mind. Politics, war, etc. it's just profit, nothing more to it unless you're into fairy tales and sh*t.