Are You A Lukewarm Christian?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Are You A Lukewarm Christian?
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 19 20 21
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-01-31 13:29:41  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Also, at the end of the day very few people care if you believe some God (why not a Goddess?) created the universe and left it for us to *** up or exist in. We can agree to disagree there and move on with our lives. The problem lay in people who believe God is regulating our sex lives, wants you to be circumcised by a rabbi sucking the foreskin off your fresh cut penis, believes pork is unclean, routinely cares about who is sticking what where, believes nonbelievers should be put to the sword, treats women like garbage, has laid out some prophecy involving magic Jews in Jerusalem and is going to destroy the world with cataclysms once the legendary evil is awoken in the form of the President/Pope/whoever seems charismatic. Your beliefs are all well and good till you start wanting the world to conform.
That's human nature. Theology, in some cases, may be the platform used to push those beliefs in the way that things should or shouldn't be done there would still be people pushing for things that you might consider illogical or out of place.

You don't have to be religious to be pro-life. You don't have to be a Jew for a parent to make the decision to circumcise their children. You don't have to be a muslim to not want to eat pork.

So everyone should conform to what you think is the right way to do things?
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-01-31 13:30:19  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Is it because invoking the concept of perpetual change is adverse to what some denominations symbiotically "need" from their parishioners?
It is probably more the other way around; people generally like unchanging absolutes, particularly when it comes to being able to tell someone else they are bad.

The denominations serve the market, by providing the best customized services their parishioners can buy. Go invisible hand go!
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
サーバ: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2014-01-31 13:31:42  
Valefor.Endoq said: »
Please note that I posted this in the "Politics and Religion" topic, so please no hateful or anti religion remarks or flame-wars.

This post is for my fellow Christians, but I welcome all who are not, but do have a genuine interest in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

I spent many years being a lukewarm Christian after I first accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and savior, and in the last year or so I have devoted myself to him and my life has changed for the better in ways I never imagined possible. and today in my studies I came across some informative websites that touched on some issues that have bothered me for some time now.

Here is the info from those websites.

Bible Verses about lukewarm Christians:

Another thing that seems to be left out these days is the teaching of what repentance is. Is asking for forgiveness without repenting really meaningful? To truly mean it is to repent from that sin, to repent is to turn away from it, not because of the consequences but because of a genuine disdain for sin. To repent and then turn back to the same sin again is like a dog eating its own vomit just to become sick all over again...

ScaevolaBahamut said: »
I was to understand the entire point of Christian Apologetics was there is no way for a human being to NOT be "lukewarm", by this standard, but Jesus died to make all that okay and all that was really needed for a Christian to be good in the eyes of God was to repent and try to do better, y/n?

Christian Apologetics: Checking Your Privilege Since 325 AD
Yes all that is required it to repent and accept Jesus Christ as your only savior and Lord. This post was more to help further that relationship with god and to live our full potential as we try our best to walk in his foot steps, yes it is impossible to reach perfection but that is part of the test to, in life we learn how much we need his guidance and how short we fall compared to him, but we must all try our best no matter how many times we inevitably fail and in all this is learn things like humility and compassion and the realization that no one is in any position to pass judgement and look down onto any other person
Bump
By fonewear 2014-01-31 13:31:49  
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-01-31 13:35:02  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Flavin said:
It has nothing to do with how I feel. I never once said that I feel that you are wrong just that you are wrong.
It has everything to do with how you feel Flav. It always does. You're predictable like that. Even this post, you don't breach yourself. In case you still don't get it, it was an analogy for the sake of understanding. Negative, neutral, positive, was a way to lead through a simple concept and then apply it to the more complex concept that was being discussed. If you're arguing so heavily the analogy, you've missed the forest for the trees.
So you know how I feel now and why I post what I do? breach myself? lol... What you said wasn't even enough to incite feeling. It was vague at best and didn't do much to explain anything. You spent more time attacking me for my "feelings" than you did trying to explain any point you were trying to get across.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-01-31 13:37:20  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Same ol religious hatred by people of no faith. Careful non-believers, in a previous life, secularists who had the capacity, started packing up those of faith onto train cars and sending them off to gas chambers...
This is too perfect.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-01-31 13:37:41  
fonewear said: »
The question should be why are you religious or why you chose not to follow religion.

I'd like to know why people chose this (or whichever) specific religion. Why a monotheistic religion and not a polytheistic religion?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-01-31 13:38:10  
Fone, it's page 14. You know you shouldn't exist, why are you denying your own nonexistence?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 13:39:31  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Amandarius said:
But you yourself just said you believe in something that we cannot witness in the only dimensions that we are privy to and bound to. That's belief in something you can never prove. That's religion.
I'm at a loss here. What is it that I believe in?

And no, that's not religion – whatever that assertion was supposed to mean, it's not a religious stand point. It is not a core set of values or a belief structure that surrounds the belief-in and worship of gods.

You said information is limited which implies belief in dimensions we cannot observe.

What was flawed in my claim? What other option is there. There either was an origin or there was no origin. No beginning is illogical. So we are left with a beginning which means there was nothing that became something. That is also illogical. Or you can assume that not only did the Universe have no origin but it never existed at all. Again illogical. You can observe anything you want in space and time one if the above will be the Absolute answer and they are all illogical.

We do observe the big bang, though, it's a theory formed from the observation of the universal microwave background and motions of celestial bodies. There are well established laws of the universe that are from those observations and can be tested repeatedly with the same results. It is quite different than the observations of supernatural forces and entities because they are consistent and repeatable, supernatural occurrences are unrepeatable and inconsistent. They aren't the same thing.

Wrong again Jassik. I believe in the Big Bang and any scientist that also does tell you that they have no explanation for the big bang or anything that would have been before the big bang to bang in the first place. The theory is that Universes spring up from nowhere and from nothing. The Big Bang is a moment of creation, something from nothing like I said all along. It is illogical. You agree with me stop arguing.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 13:39:42  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
fonewear said: »
The question should be why are you religious or why you chose not to follow religion.

I'd like to know why people chose this (or whichever) specific religion. Why a monotheistic religion and not a polytheistic religion?

That is good question that probably won't get answered here. Lack of caring maybe ? Not informed enough on other religions. I'm not sure.

What do you think Kara ?
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-01-31 13:40:40  
Also, at the end of the day very few people care if you believe some God (why not a Goddess?) created the universe and left it for us to *** up or exist in. We can agree to disagree there and move on with our lives. The problem lay in people who believe God is regulating our sex lives, wants you to be circumcised by a rabbi sucking the foreskin off your fresh cut penis, believes pork is unclean, routinely cares about who is sticking what where, believes nonbelievers should be put to the sword, treats women like garbage, has laid out some prophecy involving magic Jews in Jerusalem and is going to destroy the world with cataclysms once the legendary evil is awoken in the form of the President/Pope/whoever seems charismatic. Your beliefs are all well and good till you start wanting the world to conform.

Sry bud, proponents of atheism and secularism have killed and caused far more horror in the world than religious zealots ever have.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-01-31 13:40:54  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
That's human nature. Theology, in some cases, may be the platform used to push those beliefs in the way that things should or shouldn't be done there would still be people pushing for things that you might consider illogical or out of place.

And like human nature, the religion follows suit. Same goes for the bizarre obsession with sex, women and control inherent in the authors of these religious texts. Theologians are all over the place like human opinions and for every fundamentalist there are many theologians who I can agree with on pretty much every topic other than the God claims they make. Theologians are people.

Quote:
You don't have to be religious to be pro-life. You don't have to be a Jew for a parent to make the decision to circumcise their children. You don't have to be a muslim to not want to eat pork.

You're right, you don't and no one would care in secular society outside general disagreements akin to "which color drapes look best in a room?" but when you inject divine mandates, hold beliefs that you can murder, torture or rape people who disagree with you and justify it by saying it is 'the will of Heaven' (citation please?) is where things get decisively ugly for religion.

Quote:
So everyone should conform to what you think is the right way to do things?

No, and that's why we have secular society. You can believe what you want but we're supposed to balance our rule of law such that one religion doesn't take complete control. Because we know once one side gains complete control, the blood starts to flow.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 13:41:09  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Fone, it's page 14. You know you shouldn't exist, why are you denying your own nonexistence?

Because Keanu Reeves thinks I'm a good actor. That should have won an Oscar for Bill and Ted.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 13:43:59  
Aman, it'll click eventually but believing that a God created the universe based on your logic still leaves you quite a distance from the Christian interpretation of God. Following your logic, you'd end up a deist, like the founders and not a Christian.

You must make another cosmic leap in beliefs to wind up at Christianity. One most definitely informed by your being born and raised around Christians in the United States in the late 20th century.

I'm not even participating in your Crusade against Christianity Spart. Move along now.

*swats fly*
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-01-31 13:44:44  

Because if you think worshipping one god is a timesink try thousands.

I stubbed my toe, I need to make an offering to the god of pain.
Victory! The goddess of victory must be praised.
A fine harvest! Thank the god of harvests!
Delicious wine! Thanks, god of wine and parties.
Dawn! Praise be to Altana.

*** it, they're all getting a form letter. Email to gods@gmail.com
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-01-31 13:46:16  
your Crusade against Christianity Spart
Wow, way to be wrong about someone.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 13:46:24  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
The circumcision practice might actually be a positive thing!

I'm not a girl (or a guy who likes guys) but turtle-necks look *** gross.

Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
I just don't get all this... It seems like people are saying "I don't believe in this" but then going "but don't mistake that for a belief!" like having a certain belief is wrong or it somehow likens them to theism in some weird way. Wtf..

A "real" atheist wouldn't even care to go insofar as to say "i don't have religion". They're the type of people who aren't even posting right now. The type of person who would even readily label themselves an atheist usually had "their no-no spot" touched by religion or adopted a way of thinking that reflected being anti-religion. Regardless of charizard's anecdote about 1 atheist meeting with "old jews" the majority of people who call themselves are young and impressionable college agers. The older generation just doesn't give a ***unless you stand to become more popular by your mudslinging (like that Gervais fella who made a movie that he thought was funny and then started to ride the wave of popularity afterwards). The young "atheists" are they type of people who would smoke to spite their parents. They'd embellish a story to get attention. If "atheism" were as simple as "people who disbewhateverjetcalls it" there wouldn't be a word for it, right? It would just be "normal people" or "non believers". The fact that there's a whole system of beliefs or "club" for them to be in makes them just as much sheep as they imply a religious person is. This is contradictory to the "cool kid" mask they're trying to wear. Since they're not the theist-neutral they claim to be, they get full on mad when you imply they share anything with someone of faith.

Some "old" people pick it up. The idea behind that being that they're becoming scared of their own mortality. Kinda like me being like "i busted my *** doing what you wanted and things got worse for me", the elderly might look at it like "maybe if i act out, you'll have to intervene". "The ones who squawk the loudest are the ones crying the loudest to be proved wrong" is something they used to teach about evangelization. I don't wanna die and go to nothing, do you? Does it make sense that at the end of road someone might be looking for a detour more?
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 13:46:30  

Because if you think worshipping one god is a timesink try thousands.

I stubbed my toe, I need to make an offering to the god of pain.
Victory! The goddess of victory must be praised.
A fine harvest! Thank the god of harvests!
Delicious wine! Thanks, god of wine and parties.
Dawn! Praise be to Altana.

*** it, they're all getting a form letter. Email to gods@gmail.com

I thought it was @hotmail.com
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-01-31 13:46:45  
Aman, it'll click eventually but believing that a God created the universe based on your logic still leaves you quite a distance from the Christian interpretation of God. Following your logic, you'd end up a deist, like the founders and not a Christian.

You must make another cosmic leap in beliefs to wind up at Christianity. One most definitely informed by your being born and raised around Christians in the United States in the late 20th century.

I'm not even participating in your Crusade against Christianity Spart. Move along now.

*swats fly*

He probably has "Zeitgeist" playing on infinite loop....
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-01-31 13:49:05  
Thanks FFXIAH, it seems that I am no longer interested in online games, travel, and electronics hardware sites.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2014-01-31 13:51:30  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Thanks FFXIAH, it seems that I am no longer interested in online games, travel, and electronics hardware sites.

thank you orange bar for you have saved me from asian / arabic singles.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 13:51:45  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »

Google told me yesterday to date Muslim women. It turned out better than I could have hoped.
[+]
By fonewear 2014-01-31 13:53:40  
You would think a gaming site would give me ads for geek dating but apparently Arab singles are all the rage.

[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-01-31 13:53:58  
Wrong again Jassik. I believe in the Big Bang and any scientist that also does tell you that they have no explanation for the big bang or anything that would have been before the big bang to bang in the first place. The theory is that Universes spring up from nowhere and from nothing. The Big Bang is a moment of creation, something from nothing like I said all along. It is illogical. You agree with me stop arguing.
You don't understand the Big Bang theory then. It doesn't attempt to explain creation nor is it concerned with anything prior to t(time)=0. It attempts to explain all moments from t>0.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-01-31 13:54:41  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Sry bud, proponents of atheism and secularism have killed and caused far more horror in the world than religious zealots ever have.

Calm down, Nausi! Now's not the time for fear. That comes later.
No one cared who I was until I put on the label atheist.
Let us not stand on ceremony, Mr. Nausi.
Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Nausi? Members of the League of Atheist Nazis!
And you betrayed us!
I AM the League of Atheist Nazis, and I'm here to fulfill Adolf Hitlers destiny!
You fight like a younger man, with nothing held back. Admirable but mistaken.
Oh, you think capitalism is your ally. But you merely adopted the capital; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the Nazi until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!
The capital betrays you, because they belong to me!
I will show you where I have made my home while preparing to bring genocide. Then I will break you.
Your precious armory, gratefully accepted! We will need it.
Ah, yes... I was wondering what would break first...
Your spirit, or your body!

Let the games begin!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-01-31 13:58:48  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
You don't understand the Big Bang theory then. It doesn't attempt to explain creation nor is it concerned with anything prior to t(time)=0. It attempts to explain all moments from t>0.

Exactly, and theoretical physicists will tell you they have no data concerning the time before T=0 and aren't attempting to explain it with the big bang theory. They don't accept the theory as the end all or the beginning, they use it as the currently accepted model of the universe as we observe it.
By fonewear 2014-01-31 14:02:37  
This Big Bang Theory does it air on TBS ?
 Cerberus.Tikal
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2014-01-31 14:03:04  
Ashman said:
A "real" atheist wouldn't even care to go insofar as to say "i don't have religion". They're the type of people who aren't even posting right now. The type of person who would even readily label themselves an atheist usually had "their no-no spot" touched by religion or adopted a way of thinking that reflected being anti-religion. Regardless of charizard's anecdote about 1 atheist meeting with "old jews" the majority of people who call themselves are young and impressionable college agers. The older generation just doesn't give a ***unless you stand to become more popular by your mudslinging (like that Gervais fella who made a movie that he thought was funny and then started to ride the wave of popularity afterwards). The young "atheists" are they type of people who would smoke to spite their parents. They'd embellish a story to get attention. If "atheism" were as simple as "people who disbewhateverjetcalls it" there wouldn't be a word for it, right? It would just be "normal people" or "non believers". The fact that there's a whole system of beliefs or "club" for them to be in makes them just as much sheep as they imply a religious person is. This is contradictory to the "cool kid" mask they're trying to wear. Since they're not the theist-neutral they claim to be, they get full on mad when you imply they share anything with someone of faith.
This is probably the most uneducated bile I've ever read on this site. Props to you Ash for lowering the bar. Pro-tip: Atheism is a term coined a long time ago, used as an insult. People took it up willfully as a moniker in the 18th century.
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2014-01-31 14:04:40  
Eastern religions?

sry got super busy over here for no reason.

short answer: yar.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2014-01-31 14:07:51  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Exactly, and theoretical physicists will tell you they have no data concerning the time before T=0 and aren't attempting to explain it with the big bang theory. They don't accept the theory as the end all or the beginning, they use it as the currently accepted model of the universe as we observe it.

I do understand the Big Bang theory. It is a moment of creation. There was no space or time before it. If you do not want to say space and time were "created" in the Big Bang then what word would you like to use to make it feel like you are right and I am wrong? Acknowledging the big bang is acknowledging a beginning.
First Page 2 3 ... 13 14 15 ... 19 20 21