users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD gear help
PLD gear help
 Garuda.Aurilius
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-07-28 12:08:48  
Black mandies in the tree. PLD/DNC to keep yourself alive. You can always bring a rdm if you want more healing and refresh.

You're going to be gimp as hell in the parry department though.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-07-28 12:15:21  
Aliceisback said:
I was skilling up shield on my RDM before i leveled PLD i got it to 171? I did this on the yagudo in Castle of Oztroja. Wondering if anyone has any better suggestions i could use to cap shield on PLD once I hit 75 with it.

Use this shield.

Also throw on as much shield skill+ as you can and fight things that are T+ to your PLD or easy prey on your 75 RDM. As well, if your doing this on RDM try to get on some -evasion and/or -parrying gear so shield procs more.
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-07-28 12:15:43  
Ya just want to skill up my crap. Wanted to link / aggro a bunch of mobs and go PLD/RDM and have a WHM cure me then zone or something when the WHM is out of mp etc.
 Carbuncle.Kyri
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-28 12:15:58  
im always down for skilling
 Garuda.Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-07-28 12:25:30  
173 is the shield cap for 54 pld. I would say if you could find a bunch of mandies in the high 50s/low 60s range (if they exist), you could probably handle a couple of them beating on you at 75.
 Siren.Broly
サーバ: Siren
user: Broly
By Siren.Broly 2009-07-28 12:31:16  
Shield skill is hit or miss. Im still getting shield skillups when im out fighing dc+ on PLD. Just help people break latents on there weapons and get some testimonies, lol. Thats how i skilled it up and lvled my NPC while doing it and getting some exp. I hate skillup parties, i like to multitask. Helping people get testimonies gets favor points also, lol. Shield skill will rise eventually, expecially if u do dynamis and sea/sky. Dont worry about shield skill until 75, it will rise as you pty. The tougher the mobs, the faster it will lvl.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2009-07-28 12:31:44  
Idle tank set
Enmity Kite set
MDB Set
PLD/WAR
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-28 12:34:01  
OK, i don't necessarily disagree with the individual pieces of gear people are posting here. But it seems an alarming number of paladins seem to think it's a good idea to fulltime one set of gear. It's not. Exactly what gear you have isn't nearly as important as how you use it.

Hopefully you have windower. Download spellcast. Go to
http://wiki.windower.net/plugins/spellcast/userxml and pick out a paladin xml set from one of the kindly players who uploaded theirs. I based mine off of Subzero's set, personally. Whatever you do, make sure you have a melee set(haste/attk/acc) a fastcast set for flash and shadows(haste/fastcast), a kiting set if you have the gear for it, an oshit set for below 20-30% hp(full evasion or koenig/kaiser, depending on your resourcses), an enmity set(IR as soon as you can get it, Adaman set/askar feet until then), and please, please, a cure cheat set(hp minus gear, then hp+ gear directly before the cure)

Please don't fulltime a little bit of each type of gear and be mediocre in all situations. Use spellcast to melee in full melee gear, voke/sentinel/rampart in full enmity gear, shadow/flash in haste gear, etc.

I think paladin is one of the hardest jobs in the game to truly gear properly, but the results are well worth it.

Edit: Oh, and finish nyzul/get atonement. It's vital.
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-07-28 12:51:17  
Ok i'm SMN burning my PLD to 75. I'm curious as to where i can skill up my shield to 276 with maybe a support healer. I have the light buckler and shield torque etc. Hopeing the mobs will be MNK type so they hit nonstop lol.
 Carbuncle.Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-28 12:53:44  
ugggghhh alice... really? if any job shouldnt be burned i think its pld..
then again.. dont you smn burn all your jobs?
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-28 12:54:50  
Aliceisback said:
Ok i'm SMN burning my PLD to 75. I'm curious as to where i can skill up my shield to 276 with maybe a support healer. I have the light buckler and shield torque etc. Hopeing the mobs will be MNK type so they hit nonstop lol.

Korrigans in the Tree.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-28 12:55:01  
Aliceisback said:
Ok i'm SMN burning my PLD to 75.

;;
 Carbuncle.Vepreubian
user: vep
By Carbuncle.Vepreubian 2009-07-28 12:55:10  
wow man if youre gonna smn burn a respectable job like pld just quit the game
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-28 12:55:36  
XD
sorry i didnt mean to laugh i just why.. why x.X
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-28 12:56:21  
I'm of the opinion that anybody who burns a main job (other than SMN, maybe) is doing it wrong. It's one thing to burn subs, but come on...
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-28 12:56:42  
If you're smn burning your PLD to 75 for the sake of your ls, i assure you you're screwing your ls if you ever attempt to tank endgame with it.
[+]
 Bismarck.Idevlboy
サーバ: Bismarck
user: idevlboy
By Bismarck.Idevlboy 2009-07-28 13:00:15  
Aliceisback said:

Lol GL with this. I leveled PLD the right way (minus 72-75 where i had to level in campaign battle because no one uses pld in higher level camps >.<) and it still took me almost 4 months of tanking HNM/Dyna/Endgame to finish out shield skill.
[+]
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-28 13:00:56  
Aliceisback said:

PLD lvls fast enough dont need to burn it

Sevourn said:
If you're smn burning your PLD to 75 for the sake of your ls, i assure you you're screwing your ls if you ever attempt to tank endgame with it.

QFT ^

need a few months to get the basic down on PLD
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-28 13:01:28  
id burn thf but only because i have every skill needed and im already lv 60

but yea, i see way too many people abuse it and they well, one alot of hard core job lvers worked HARD on it, i dont see smn burning as any accomishment besides no better then buying a acc you dont know how to play
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-07-28 13:02:02  
I'm going to skill up its crap. There wont be any difference. And i dont SMN burn a ll my jobs. Only job I have SMN burned besides blu and sam for sub is SMN.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-07-28 13:04:11  
Aliceisback said:
I'm going to skill up its crap. There wont be any difference. And i dont SMN burn a ll my jobs. Only job I have SMN burned besides blu and sam for sub is SMN.

lol

You keep thinking that. Numbers aren't everything.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2009-07-28 13:04:12  
Aliceisback said:

hest is my buddy n all but the two of you live in the tunnel x.X
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-28 13:04:32  
Btw skill'ing up SMN is annoying as hell

probably worse then anything

also SMN skill are so important for all BPs

so yeah even burning SMN is kinda bad imho

only thing id burn would be subs or jobs I have skill cap'
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-28 13:04:53  
Aliceisback said:
I'm going to skill up its crap. There wont be any difference.

The difference is you won't know how to tank any more than if you bought an account with PLD75.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-07-28 13:06:51  
I burned SMN for the sole purpose of mountain buster + Aura pots lol. And my PLD is just BACK up. Dont plan on it being a omfgpld you know?
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-07-28 13:09:37  
I know how to tank as it is. Tanking is np for me I used to tank some of the gods on RDM/NIN but I was missing some essiental items that are near impossible to obtain on this server. So until i obtain these items PLD will work for me.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2009-07-28 13:13:47  
eh, i could detail the differences between tanking rdm and tanking pld, but i'm pretty sure you're going to do what you're going to do. so smn burn PLD, and have fun tanking your first god. I will say if there is one part of the equation that can't be done half-assed, it's the tank.
 Carbuncle.Aliceisback
By Carbuncle.Aliceisback 2009-07-28 13:15:45  
Trust me I'm not going to tank my first god w/o practice. Not saying I will be putting my whole time into PLD but enough so it can back up tank on gods.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2009-07-28 13:16:09  
when shadows are down your shield will! not proc Q.Q
 Garuda.Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2009-07-28 13:17:10  
Ok, I'm sorry but paladin tanking really isn't as hard to learn as you people are making it out to be. In reality, no job in this game is really difficult to learn. This game is all about time sinks, and that's the bottom line.

Alice, just get all your skills capped and multiple gear sets. Have your shell start you off small with things like Genbu and Faust, and you'll eventually get it.

Playing this game is not rocket science, and some of you are too *** hardcore into this nonsense. It's a game, and its not a difficult one at that.
[+]