Ragnarok.Leysritt
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Leysritt
By Ragnarok.Leysritt 2014-04-09 15:48:48  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
So what else can we use guns for?
Sport. Fun. Hunting. Target Practice (well, one could consider that sport). All of the above.

I use mine for target practice. Put my M16 on top of a box and shoot it with a slingshot. HELLZ YEAH
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-09 15:51:15  
Sport. Fun. Hunting. Target Practice (well, one could consider that sport). All of the above.

A knife can do all of these. It can also dig a hole. I'm curious to see you dig a hole with a handgun. Please do try and post a video of it.
 Lakshmi.Deces
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2014-04-09 15:51:25  
Caitsith.Shiroi said: »
But then again, the whole purpose of a knife is to cut. Like how the whole purpose of a gun is to expel a projectile in a straight line at an extremely high speed.

How humans use it is the whole idea.

So any individual should have the right to have nukes, because it's purpose is only to blow things up. Doesn't mean people will use them to murder.
Sure. Only issue is the mass destruction and fallout associated with a nuclear weapon.

Plus, it is used with the intention of killing people.

I don't see how knives, guns, and nukes compare.
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
サーバ: Shiva
user: Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-09 15:53:42  
Lye said: »

A knife can do all of these. It can also dig a hole. I'm curious to see you dig a hole with a handgun. Please do try and post a video of it.
Fire repeatedly? It wouldn't be a particularly good hole, but I doubt the pocketknife that I bring with me to work (to stab ***, obviously, not because I work in a blue collar field or anything) would make a much better hole in the ground.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2014-04-09 15:56:46  
So if the only issue is the danger, how do you draw the line of what is too dangerous and what's not? Would a rocklet launcher be ok? Grenades?
Why dont you go and make a Hand Grenade and show it to a cop and see what happens. Is ignorance bliss?
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Dawnn
By Dawn Charis 2014-04-09 15:58:13  
So if the only issue is the danger, how do you draw the line of what is too dangerous and what's not? Would a rocklet launcher be ok? Grenades?

any idiot who has taken a general electronics course can make a tiny EMP too, so maybe we should monitor all of our web activity to prevent terrorism, oh wait #PRISM

I blame violent video games, we should ban those too, wait no let's make them all register and get a license
[+]
 Odin.Godofgods
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Godofgods 2014-04-09 16:01:57  
Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Bismarck.Josiahkf said: »
Jetackuu said: »
Not to mention that some people deal with tragedy by using comedy as a distraction as the tragedy is "too real" for a lot of people to handle, including people that have probably spent years stuck in a video game.
Wow. You are just really gung-ho into digging a metaphorocal argument-grave today señor.
You have a problem with me asserting that some individuals on this site may not have the capacity to deal with tragedy other than to crack jokes about it?

I'm not necessarily saying there's anything wrong with it either, I'm very neutral to it, and merely stated my opinion of what I observed, so what has your panties in such a knot?
I'm not angry at you or anything it's just that the bolded is a very odd thing to say, akin to me saying "well some people can't handle this type of trauma healthily, including severely personality-flawed forum addicts" or something similarly random.

I use comedy for most everything, low or high. It is also a good cooping mechanism as he stated for those that are able to use it.

Unfortunately this is a perfect example. I watched my dad sacrifice everything in his life for the sake of his family (and mainly me.) Far beyond anything i would expect a person to do, and quite literately far beyond anything i am physically capable of doing (at any point in my life.) And one day before my 21st birthday i got injured which left me disabled (ironically doing the same job he was at the time.) He still took care of me. Point being, you can understand my level of respect and affection for him.

And when he unexpectedly died just a few months back (nothing like walking in to see why someone didn't get up after the alarm clock and instead finding a corpse..) i still maintained a fairly upbeat attitude through the use of comedy despite the obvious and severe pain. So it is by no means a 'metaphorical argument'. Its very true.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-04-09 16:02:52  
Its like people don't understand that a knife cannot deal the type of widespread damage any rapid firing weapon can. That video of a knife-wielding assailant closing distance with a cop before he can draw his weapon is cute until you realize that in the time an assailant takes to do that - other people can flee. You can simply run from a knife-wielder.

Knives limit you to one person at a time or the element of surprise as you furiously stab people. Most of the time these wounds aren't fatal where gunshots are effective at ending lives in rapid succession.

How many people died today? Right.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Dawn Charis 2014-04-09 16:05:50  
I am sort of disappointed in humanity, I mean how many adults/teachers ran by him without even attempting to stop him? It's not like the kid is a *** tank
Then people hide behind the excuse "You never know until you are in that situation", I mean man the *** up. I have a scar on my hand from saving my friend from being stabbed by some drugged out junkie trying to stab him with a pencil (true story)

An excellent illustration here would be how Turkeys on a ranch survive, the second a snake (it's natural predator) goes into their pens, they generally team up and kill the snake. I can't even count the times I went out to feed them and found dead snakes, rats, and other stuff.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2014-04-09 16:05:59  
Way to miss the point, all I'm saying is it's just legitimate to debate on gun control.

I'm not saying ban all the things, but if some things are deemed too dangerous for civilians like grenades, maybe we should re-think about the use of guns.

You are aware that this thread is about a stabbing spree right?
By Dawn Charis 2014-04-09 16:10:55  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Its like people don't understand that a knife cannot deal the type of widespread damage any rapid firing weapon can. That video of a knife-wielding assailant closing distance with a cop before he can draw his weapon is cute until you realize that in the time an assailant takes to do that - other people can flee. You can simply run from a knife-wielder.

Knives limit you to one person at a time or the element of surprise as you furiously stab people. Most of the time these wounds aren't fatal where gunshots are effective at ending lives in rapid succession.

(bolded the widespread part)
20 stabbing victims, which was stopped in progress due to some senior and the vice principal tackling him.

Sandy hook had 27 fatalities at the school, and 2 injuries

If the VP and that student weren't there to stop the stabbing there could have been MANY more. There's a difference of 10 victims total and sure some of them are nonfatal, but it generally looks like you can attempt to kill 20~ people before police are able to respond.
 Leviathan.Kincard
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-04-09 16:12:11  
Lakshmi.Deces said: »

You know the first person that brought up guns was someone that was pro-gun, right?

Picking at individual cases will never really convince me. FTR, I'm mostly indifferent about gun control. I don't really care if guns get banned, but I've never seen any good reason to spend millions on government programs etc that would be required for controlling them.

The poster child a lot of pro-control people like to talk about is Australia after their 1996 gun buyback. It's not easy to make a direct comparison since Australia had different laws, but as far as I can tell, while their gun crime rates have gone down (obviously less guns = less gun violence, I never understood why a statistic about a specific type of crime was relevant), their violent crime rates (Assault/murder/etc) haven't budged in any notable manner. You can even check the AIC yourself if you want.
[+]
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-09 16:12:56  
Dawn Charis said: »

20 stabbing victims, which was stopped in progress due to some senior and the vice principal tackling him.

If the VP and that student weren't there to stop the stabbing there could have been MANY more. There's a difference of 10 victims total and sure some of them are nonfatal, but it generally looks like you can attempt to kill 20~ people before police are able to respond.

Does it generally look like you can attempt to kill 20~ people before police are able to respond?

Is that really your conclusion having read this article/thread?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-09 16:13:24  
but it generally looks like you can attempt to kill 20~ people before police are able to respond.
You can attempt anything. Success is the measure of, y'know, success.
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-09 16:15:13  
Leviathan.Kincard said: »
The poster child a lot of pro-control people like to talk about is Australia after their 1996 gun buyback. It's not easy to make a direct comparison since Australia had different laws, but as far as I can tell, while their gun crime rates have gone down (obviously less guns = less gun violence, I never understood why a statistic about a specific type of crime was relevant), their violent crime rates (Assault/murder/etc) haven't budged in any notable manner. You can even check the AIC yourself if you want.
How has the homicide rate changed, though? The issue is not violence so much as deadly violence.
By Dawn Charis 2014-04-09 16:16:16  

Does it generally look like you can attempt to kill 20~ people before police are able to respond?

Is that really your conclusion to this article?

I guess I really don't have a conclusion, just making a point that you can cause widespread damage with knives as well as guns. Is 20 victims not enough for you?
[+]
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2014-04-09 16:16:34  
I just heard from someone in my class that this guy was actually just trying to teach kids about knife safety. He really wanted to make sure they all got... the point.
[+]
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-09 16:18:40  

I guess I really don't have a conclusion, just making a point that you can cause widespread damage with knives as well as guns. Is 20 victims not enough for you?
Make a bomb threat at a high school football game and it's easy money that more than 20 people will be injured (in the ensuing stampede to get out, I mean). Injuries happen all the time and, though inconvenient, are not generally going to result in a meaningful change of lifestyle, much less loss of life. The problem you're running into is that you are trying to equate a couple scratches and a handful of survivable but serious injuries with death.
By Dawn Charis 2014-04-09 16:19:33  
Shiva.Onorgul said: »

Make a bomb threat at a high school football game and it's easy money that more than 20 people will be injured (in the ensuing stampede to get out, I mean). Injuries happen all the time and, though inconvenient, are not generally going to result in a meaningful change of lifestyle, much less loss of life. The problem you're running into is that you are trying to equate a couple scratches and a handful of survivable but serious injuries with death.

About 5 of the victims were confirmed to be in critical condition, just throwing that out there
 Leviathan.Kincard
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kincard
By Leviathan.Kincard 2014-04-09 16:20:22  
How has the homicide rate changed, though? The issue is not violence so much as deadly violence.

From AIC

Lye
By Lye 2014-04-09 16:20:45  

Do you truly believe the potential damage caused by knives and guns used by students against one-another is comparable?
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-09 16:23:19  
Or I suppose, if you have to choose between a student attacking other students with a knife or a gun, which would it be and why?
By Dawn Charis 2014-04-09 16:23:28  

Do you truly believe knives and guns are comparable in student use to hurt one-another in a school?

Rather than separating the two, why not address them both at the same time and look at the root causes of the incidents. Is there really NOTHING that can be done to prevent this from happening?
 Shiva.Onorgul
By Shiva.Onorgul 2014-04-09 16:23:38  

From AIC

Curious. Though this is actually the first time I've heard Australia mentioned in this context. Normally people mention the United Kingdom. Anecdotally, I've heard that violence remains (they are infamous for soccer hooligans, after all), but am uncertain about the issue of murder.
 Lye
By Lye 2014-04-09 16:23:58  
no.
 Lakshmi.Deces
By Lakshmi.Deces 2014-04-09 16:24:57  

You know the first person that brought up guns was someone that was pro-gun, right?

Picking at individual cases will never really convince me. FTR, I'm mostly indifferent about gun control. I don't really care if guns get banned, but I've never seen any good reason to spend millions on government programs etc that would be required for controlling them.

Indeed I do, I was merely pointing out the liberal inconsistencies of this thread as well as the fort hood incidents of people being butchered that don't fit the script of their liberal un American agendas
 Shiva.Viciousss
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2014-04-09 16:30:26  

Indeed I do, I was merely pointing out the neoconservative inconsistencies of this thread as well as the fort hood incidents of people being butchered that don't fit the script of their neocon un American agendas

And you have done a great job displaying why no one takes you seriously.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 13 14 15