Is Freedom Of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is Freedom of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?
Is Freedom of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:05:12  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
[Then again, I feel that way about religion in general. So whatever.
This is my biggest problem with people that preach equality and politicians for the betterment of all people. It never truly seems like you're out for the actual betterment of society so much as what you think that might be. Religion gets brought up and immediately becomes a shitfest because well RELIGION!
What particular question do you want me to answer or what admission are you looking for me to make? I'm confused.
This is just me making a statement and calling you what you are in this situation... A hypocrite. There was no question asked, no hidden agenda.

How am I being a hypocrite?

By saying I don't think religion should be given the time of day by government? Especially one SPECIFIC religion?

You know. As it's written in the Constitution?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:10:04  
This is my biggest problem with people that preach equality and politicians for the betterment of all people. It never truly seems like you're out for the actual betterment of society so much as what you think that might be. Religion gets brought up and immediately becomes a shitfest because well RELIGION!
What particular question do you want me to answer or what admission are you looking for me to make? I'm confused.
This is just me making a statement and calling you what you are in this situation... A hypocrite. There was no question asked, no hidden agenda.

How am I being a hypocrite?

By saying I don't think religion should be given the time of day by government? Especially one SPECIFIC religion?

You know. As it's written in the Constitution?
You're being a hypocrite because you preach equality... you preach about politicians working for the good of their constituents but that really only seems to be the case when they're doing what you want. Here it all seems to be about your disgust for religion which you're entitled to and it may even be warranted but this has nothing to do with what's best for the people. This is just what you want.

Edit: I also think you should go and read the constitution again and learn more about the seperation of state/religion. It will be good for you.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 14:12:02  
This is just what you want.
Same thing as I said earlier.

Why should we conform society to meet one person's needs?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:18:02  
How am I being a hypocrite? By saying I don't think religion should be given the time of day by government? Especially one SPECIFIC religion? You know. As it's written in the Constitution?
You're being a hypocrite because you preach equality... you preach about politicians working for the good of their constituents but that really only seems to be the case when they're doing what you want. Here it all seems to be about your disgust for religion which you're entitled to and it may even be warranted but this has nothing to do with what's best for the people. This is just what you want. Edit: I also think you should go and read the constitution again and learn more about the seperation of state/religion. It will be good for you.

As pertains to the discussion:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

So basically, you're saying it needs to be interpreted in an entirely concrete fashion and as long as no actual law is passed, it is ok for Christianity -- due to its majority -- to tacetly act as the de facto established religion of the country, thereby prohibiting other religions (or lack thereof) from being adequately represented or freely exercised?

I can't even freely exercise atheism in my own family. How many politicians do you think are actually atheists or just straight-up don't give a damn about religion, but endorse Christianity to win votes?

You don't think that's a problem at all?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-05-09 14:18:34  
This has already been posted but I think it needs to be repeated
Quote:
“The freedom of religion doesn’t mean that every religion has to be heard,” said Bedrosian, who added that he is concerned about groups such as Wiccans and Satanists. “If we allow everything … where do you draw the line?”

The supervisor campaigned on the idea of eliminating the policy, and the ruling has breathed new life into his idea for a policy that could lead to the exclusion of non-Christian groups from the invocation.

Commenting on Monday, Bedrosian said he envisions a setup by which the supervisors would approve, individually, people from their districts to offer the opening prayer. That system would hold supervisors accountable to their districts, he added.

When asked if he would allow representatives from non-Christian faiths and non-faiths, including Jews, Muslims, atheists and others, the Hollins District supervisor said he likely would not.
http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/roanoke_county/roanoke-county-supervisor-ready-to-strike-prayer-policy-after-supreme/article_95c8b212-d4a5-11e3-81c0-0017a43b2370.html?mode=jqm
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 14:18:58  
How many politicians do you think are actually atheists or just straight-up don't give a damn about religion, but endorse Christianity to win votes?
I can think of one..............
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-09 14:19:33  
OBUMMER
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 14:20:53  
Finally woke up Ihina?

Or are you still talking in your sleep?
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:20:59  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
How many politicians do you think are actually atheists or just straight-up don't give a damn about religion, but endorse Christianity to win votes?

I'd bet money that there are even some Tea Party-supported pundits who profess Christianity solely for the purpose of keeping their position.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 14:24:50  

I'd bet money that there are even some Tea Party-supported pundits who profess Christianity solely for the purpose of keeping their position.
Your probably right.

But then again, I don't go to every elected official and say "Do you believe Jesus is your one and only savior?"

Because that would make me a hypocrite.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2014-05-09 14:24:50  
I'm just laying low right now; planning on having someone throw a shoe at me so I can gain sympathy from other FFXIAH users.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 14:26:52  

edit: not a selfie. My hair is wilder than that.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:27:27  
Your probably right. But then again, I don't go to every elected official and say "Do you believe Jesus is your one and only savior?" Because that would make me a hypocrite.

Most of them can't wait to tell you.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:29:49  
It didn't make a law respecting an establishment of religion. It stated that it does not violate the constitution to say a prayer at a meeting like this.

It does not state that it has to be said. It does not state that it has to be christian.

So please explain to me how the constitution was violated here.

How else are you supposed to interpret it? Oh yes... If the word religion comes within 2 feet of the word government nuke that are before they get any closer!

I gave you an example of how they could easily be equally and adequately represented and exercised. You chose to pretty much ignore it lol.

As for your family idk what that has to do with the government or anything really. Sounds like you have some personal issues to sort out that you let roll on to another topic of discussion.

How man politicians get married to get poll numbers? How many politicians take stances that they don't give a ***about just to go up in the numbers... only to turn around on them when they get in office... but religion is somehow different now? Voters, American citizens should change for you because you don't think things are the way they should be? It's one thing to say government should not act based on any sort of religious notion but the American citizens are as much entitled to put the people they want up on the throne as you are based on their own personal values or whether they like the shoes the other guy was wearing...

You don't even seem to be able to see past your own bias to see that your argument is completely flawed.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:32:21  
Sparth made a better argument in one post than you have this entire time and the funniest part about all of this is that personally I think it's dumb to have a prayer before the meeting to. Even sharing a similar opinion you couldn't even convince me that it's a good idea to do away with this practice.

You said previously that if its a decision that has anything to do with religion it should be examined and I replied that any decision should be examined and thoroughly so. Your examination when it comes to this seems to begin and end with the word religion and the judgement Get rid of it lol...
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-09 14:38:43  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Bringing up the SSB and saluting the flag was to point out it was solely about religion and not about anything practical like wasting time.

They shouldn't be respected in any of those places?

The state does not endorse any one religion but when you have largely Christian prayers being said on government time whilst isolating other prayers from other religions you're effectively endorsing Christianity. I use Altana and FFXI because it's so obvious that no one would give me the time of day to speak about crystals, banishing darkness or tears wept for us all because it's a bunch of nonsense.

Supreme Court saying tradition and "well, no one is proselytizing" is simply opening the doors for that to happen. When Muslims ask for prayer time will these government buildings work out a schedule to satisfy everyone? Will the FSM get their time to speak? Satanists?

It quickly becomes the government getting involved in religious squabbles when it could easily say "on your own *** time people" and be done with it.
It's simple. You put up a time limit everyone gets their own slot that legitimately wants one and you go on with it.

So basically lets eat up more government time with a spreadsheet for every religion (including protest religions) and hope the drone in charge of that isn't religiously motivated or biased? Somehow, I hear the big government types screaming in my ear.

How many forms will I need to fill out to get Altana heard at a court hearing about where we're going to dump barrels of ***?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:44:28  
Bringing up the SSB and saluting the flag was to point out it was solely about religion and not about anything practical like wasting time.

The state does not endorse any one religion but when you have largely Christian prayers being said on government time whilst isolating other prayers from other religions you're effectively endorsing Christianity. I use Altana and FFXI because it's so obvious that no one would give me the time of day to speak about crystals, banishing darkness or tears wept for us all because it's a bunch of nonsense.

Supreme Court saying tradition and "well, no one is proselytizing" is simply opening the doors for that to happen. When Muslims ask for prayer time will these government buildings work out a schedule to satisfy everyone? Will the FSM get their time to speak? Satanists?

It quickly becomes the government getting involved in religious squabbles when it could easily say "on your own *** time people" and be done with it.
It's simple. You put up a time limit everyone gets their own slot that legitimately wants one and you go on with it.

So basically lets eat up more government time with a spreadsheet for every religion (including protest religions) and hope the drone in charge of that isn't religiously motivated or biased? Somehow, I hear the big government types screaming in my ear.

How many forms will I need to fill out to get Altana heard at a court hearing about where we're going to dump barrels of ***?
I'd say it'd be more like religions already deemed legitamate by the feds.

Allowing a guy that is doing it just to attempt to make a point doesn't have to be done and isn't disrespecting any formal religion.

Like the satanist guy who said he gave up his pabstivus beliefs and then still wanted his pabst poll put up even though he doesn't believe anymore!

Let's be honest they'd probably get more done just organizing this than what they actually do anyways.
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:45:15  
Quote:
How else are you supposed to interpret it? Oh yes... If the word religion comes within 2 feet of the word government nuke that are before they get any closer!

I fail to see why this is viewed as problematic.

Religion : Government.

Two seperate things and never the two shall intertwine.

Why is that bad?

You keep insulting me, telling me I'm a hypocrite.

Why is it hypocritic to want religion to be completely seperate from government?

Why does it make me a hypocrite to not want Religion sticking its nose into decisions regarding people's rights?
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-09 14:48:03  

"welcome to the DMV. The Department of Motivated Vana'dielians. Now if you'd just step into this line over here, sir."
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:48:40  
And before you start in on the "prayer before meetings doesn't effect the outcome", it DOES.

It clearly lays out that the officials would like God to somehow bless this meeting, and all the things that implies, including guiding them to make decisions in his name.

Leave ALL those beliefs at the door.

You and KN are arguing that all beliefs (or lack thereof) should be left at the door that aren't of the Christian majority.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-09 14:50:25  
I see the entire process as being a platform waiting to be abused by people looking to proselytize wrapped in an innocuous cloth of 'freedom of religion'. Government is supposed to be about unity, not petty sectarian *** and this invites sectarianism. The majority will find a way to filter out other faiths while waving 'its all open to everyone' when in fact it isn't.

Pray before you get into the halls of government. Keep your religion out of my government. History is on my side, your faith is not.

Open court proceedings with the Star spangled banner so everyone can feel that less American when they *** up the lyrics.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:51:27  
Quote:

I fail to see why this is viewed as problematic.

Religion : Government.

Two seperate things and never the two shall intertwine.

Why is that bad?

You keep insulting me, telling me I'm a hypocrite.

Why is it hypocritic to want religion to be completely seperate from government?

Why does it make me a hypocrite to not want Religion sticking its nose into decisions regarding people's rights?
You already admitted that this prayer has nothing to do with making any kind of decision regarding people's rights or anything.

In any case I'm going to end this discussion here. My part in it at least as you don't really seem interested in reading anything I've actually posted or even having somehting resembling an unbiased conversation here.

Have a good day sir. /tips hat
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:54:01  
I see the entire process as being a platform waiting to be abused by people looking to proselytize wrapped in an innocuous cloth of 'freedom of religion'. Government is supposed to be about unity, not petty sectarian *** and this invites sectarianism. The majority will find a way to filter out other faiths while waving 'its all open to everyone' when in fact it isn't.

Open court proceedings with the Star spangled banner so everyone can feel that less American when they *** up the lyrics.
I feel like nothing is really going to change.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:55:20  
Quote:
I fail to see why this is viewed as problematic. Religion : Government. Two seperate things and never the two shall intertwine. Why is that bad? You keep insulting me, telling me I'm a hypocrite. Why is it hypocritic to want religion to be completely seperate from government? Why does it make me a hypocrite to not want Religion sticking its nose into decisions regarding people's rights?
You already admitted that this prayer has nothing to do with making any kind of decision regarding people's rights or anything. In any case I'm going to end this discussion here. My part in it at least as you don't really seem interested in reading anything I've actually posted or even having somehting resembling an unbiased conversation here. Have a good day sir. /tips hat

I've read everything you've written. None of it has been compelling, you're just pretty much automatically saying "no" to everything I've said, combined with insults and repeatedly saying I'm bias and a hypocrite.

But whatever you say, I guess. I've respected your opinion in other discussions, but you're blatantly bias for Christianity and you seem to think that by repeatedly accusing me of bias and hypocrisy you can doge that fact.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:55:27  
And before you start in on the "prayer before meetings doesn't effect the outcome", it DOES.

It clearly lays out that the officials would like God to somehow bless this meeting, and all the things that implies, including guiding them to make decisions in his name.

Leave ALL those beliefs at the door.

You and KN are arguing that all beliefs (or lack thereof) should be left at the door that aren't of the Christian majority.
This is false and you should feel bad about yourself for even saying something silly like this.

It also just goes to show that you haven't really read much of my posts.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 14:58:48  
And before you start in on the "prayer before meetings doesn't effect the outcome", it DOES. It clearly lays out that the officials would like God to somehow bless this meeting, and all the things that implies, including guiding them to make decisions in his name. Leave ALL those beliefs at the door. You and KN are arguing that all beliefs (or lack thereof) should be left at the door that aren't of the Christian majority.
This is false and you should feel bad about yourself for even saying something silly like this. It also just goes to show that you haven't really read much of my posts.

Ok, I admit, that particular part is more KN. You're just both taking the same side here and I lumped you together.

Mea culpa.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 14:59:26  
Quote:
I fail to see why this is viewed as problematic. Religion : Government. Two seperate things and never the two shall intertwine. Why is that bad? You keep insulting me, telling me I'm a hypocrite. Why is it hypocritic to want religion to be completely seperate from government? Why does it make me a hypocrite to not want Religion sticking its nose into decisions regarding people's rights?
You already admitted that this prayer has nothing to do with making any kind of decision regarding people's rights or anything. In any case I'm going to end this discussion here. My part in it at least as you don't really seem interested in reading anything I've actually posted or even having somehting resembling an unbiased conversation here. Have a good day sir. /tips hat

I've read everything you've written. None of it has been compelling, you're just pretty much automatically saying "no" to everything I've said, combined with insults and repeatedly saying I'm bias and a hypocrite.

But whatever you say, I guess. I've respected your opinion in other discussions, but you're blatantly bias for Christianity and you seem to think that by repeatedly accusing me of bias and hypocrisy you can doge that fact.
You're a silly person because while I may be arguing for this atm I've already admitted that I share a similar opinion to yours. So no you don't read all of my posts. I've never said anything remotely endorsing christian prayer as the sole prayer. So again your talking about things that never happened.

You are a hypocrite and I've explained why I think that.

You are bias when it comes to religion. I think anyone here can see that exept for you. You have no interest in having a discussion... other than to tell me that religion has no place anywhere.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 15:02:06  
And before you start in on the "prayer before meetings doesn't effect the outcome", it DOES. It clearly lays out that the officials would like God to somehow bless this meeting, and all the things that implies, including guiding them to make decisions in his name. Leave ALL those beliefs at the door. You and KN are arguing that all beliefs (or lack thereof) should be left at the door that aren't of the Christian majority.
This is false and you should feel bad about yourself for even saying something silly like this. It also just goes to show that you haven't really read much of my posts.

Ok, I admit, that particular part is more KN. You're just both taking the same side here and I lumped you together.

Mea culpa.
It's not even KN... All he does is say the same thing over and over which is "Why do yuo think you can make me do what you want?" or "why do I have to do this because you want me to?"
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 15:03:57  
You're a silly person because while I may be arguing for this atm I've already admitted that I share a similar opinion to yours. So no you don't read all of my posts. I've never said anything remotely endorsing christian prayer as the sole prayer. So again your talking about things that never happened.

I've read you words, but they are not in agreement with the points you're trying to make. "Set aside time for all the people to have a moment..." Why? What could possibly be the advantage to this? Just don't have prayer involved with government at all. Why is that such a terrible solution!?

You are a hypocrite and I've explained why I think that. You are bias when it comes to religion. I think anyone here can see that exept for you. You have no interest in having a discussion... other than to tell me that religion has no place anywhere.

It has no place in government.

What you do at home or in your place of worship is your business.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 9 10