Is Freedom Of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Is Freedom of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?
Is Freedom of Religion Making Sense Fundamentally?
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 15:04:46  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
And before you start in on the "prayer before meetings doesn't effect the outcome", it DOES. It clearly lays out that the officials would like God to somehow bless this meeting, and all the things that implies, including guiding them to make decisions in his name. Leave ALL those beliefs at the door. You and KN are arguing that all beliefs (or lack thereof) should be left at the door that aren't of the Christian majority.
This is false and you should feel bad about yourself for even saying something silly like this. It also just goes to show that you haven't really read much of my posts.
Ok, I admit, that particular part is more KN. You're just both taking the same side here and I lumped you together. Mea culpa.
It's not even KN... All he does is say the same thing over and over which is "Why do yuo think you can make me do what you want?" or "why do I have to do this because you want me to?"

He has repeatedly spoken of the majority's rights to do as they please to the exclusion of the minority or individual.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-09 15:04:58  
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
I see the entire process as being a platform waiting to be abused by people looking to proselytize wrapped in an innocuous cloth of 'freedom of religion'. Government is supposed to be about unity, not petty sectarian *** and this invites sectarianism. The majority will find a way to filter out other faiths while waving 'its all open to everyone' when in fact it isn't.

Open court proceedings with the Star spangled banner so everyone can feel that less American when they *** up the lyrics.
I feel like nothing is really going to change.

That's what people said about more invasive privacy breeches for national security's sake. We have to accept that at a point when we compromise our foundational values, it does cost something.

Now of course people are free to say this isn't a big deal. Maybe it isn't. I just see this as more church/state blurring where we could easily solve this with "on your own time, ladies/gents." An argument from tradition is a terrible way to justify something. Coming from the country that once held slaves and treated women as inferior to men.
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2014-05-09 15:06:21  
I also, coincidentally, fail to see how you can endorse Sparthosx when he's essentially saying the exact same thing I am.

Edit: About to travel and engage in evening activities soon, not running away, so I will leave you with this:

My issues with religion do stem from a very personal place. So I will grant you a bias involved. So if I attack your religion in personal life, you are correct to call me out. But I just can't see how it's possibly ok to have it involved in government. At all.

I'm not trying to force people to not believe in God. That would make me a hypocrite. That's a decision people have to come to on their own if we're ever to cast off our societal need for religion. It can't be forced.

But I will forever maintain that as pertains to the topic, I'm right here. Religion in government is at best for show, and at worst influencing lawmakers in inappropriate ways.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 15:07:03  
That's what people said about more invasive privacy breeches for national security's sake. We have to accept that at a point when we compromise our foundational values, it does cost something.

Now of course people are free to say this isn't a big deal. Maybe it isn't. I just see this as more church/state blurring where we could easily solve this with "on your own time, ladies/gents." An argument from tradition is a terrible way to justify something. Coming from the country that once held slaves and treated women as inferior to men.

I love you sometimes Sparth, no-homo.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 15:10:23  
And before you start in on the "prayer before meetings doesn't effect the outcome", it DOES. It clearly lays out that the officials would like God to somehow bless this meeting, and all the things that implies, including guiding them to make decisions in his name. Leave ALL those beliefs at the door. You and KN are arguing that all beliefs (or lack thereof) should be left at the door that aren't of the Christian majority.
This is false and you should feel bad about yourself for even saying something silly like this. It also just goes to show that you haven't really read much of my posts.

Ok, I admit, that particular part is more KN. You're just both taking the same side here and I lumped you together.

Mea culpa.
My argument is "let society decide"

If the majority of a small town wants to have prayer before every board meeting, then why should you say otherwise?

If the majority of a state wants to have prayer before every legislation meeting, and you are not part of that state, then why should you say otherwise? Heck, even if you are part of the state, the majority rules.

Demanding that the state or city or town or county change their proceedings to suit your needs because you are a minority just shows how much you want to rule over everyone's lives.

But I did not say "leave religion at the door"
[+]
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-09 15:10:24  
I see the entire process as being a platform waiting to be abused by people looking to proselytize wrapped in an innocuous cloth of 'freedom of religion'. Government is supposed to be about unity, not petty sectarian *** and this invites sectarianism. The majority will find a way to filter out other faiths while waving 'its all open to everyone' when in fact it isn't.

Open court proceedings with the Star spangled banner so everyone can feel that less American when they *** up the lyrics.

I shall dub the blurring of state and church as... Sturch!
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 15:11:32  
It shouldn't be the decision of the majority as it's infringing upon the rights of the minority, we don't live in a democracy.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 15:11:58  
Ok, I admit, that particular part is more KN. You're just both taking the same side here and I lumped you together. Mea culpa.
It's not even KN... All he does is say the same thing over and over which is "Why do yuo think you can make me do what you want?" or "why do I have to do this because you want me to?"

He has repeatedly spoken of the majority's rights to do as they please to the exclusion of the minority or individual.
Yes, the majority.

If you don't like what the majority is doing, move. Move to somewhere where you can enjoy yourself.

Because ask yourself this: Would you rather live in a place where you are miserable, or where you are happy?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 15:12:42  
Jetackuu said: »
It shouldn't be the decision of the majority as it's infringing upon the rights of the minority, we don't live in a democracy.
So, we don't live in a republic, and we don't live in a democracy, so where do we live now Jet?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 15:15:53  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Yes, the majority.

If you don't like what the majority is doing, move. Move to somewhere where you can enjoy yourself.

Because ask yourself this: Would you rather live in a place where you are miserable, or where you are happy?
Eh... the majority isn't always in the right. Also, if you want majority rule to be the key to making reform you might be disapointed by some of the outcomes.

I think it's great that people oppose the main stream when they believe in something. I believe people like this open up doors and ask questions that we should be asking. Maybe they have a better way maybe not but it's still important to ask.

Just because the majority might be ok to stumble about doing the same ol' for whatever reason doesn't make it the best path for us ro even a legal path.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-09 15:16:39  
So, we don't live in a republic, and we don't live in a democracy, so where do we live now Jet?
You live camped out on my lawn.

GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMNED KIDS! *shakes grandpa stick*
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 15:17:32  
When did I (or anyone one else with a brain for that matter) say we weren't a republic?
 Lakshmi.Flavin
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2014-05-09 15:18:27  
I do like a nice lawn chair.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-09 15:22:11  
Tyranny of the masses KN, look it up brah.

If a majority passes an ordinance banning members of a certain religious group from their town, are you going to defend that? They did vote on it afterall. Guess what? That's how sectarian *** starts. Same thing eating up such haunts as Iraq, Afghanistan and Europe.

Like it or not, this is the United States and though the feds can get oppressive at times, this is not a free for all and we do have some ground rules in this country.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-09 15:29:13  

It's not. Local governments will continue to avoid religious displays despite it being constitutionally allowed because of the hassle of implementing it fairly and because the threat of any missteps would lead to costly litigation. Oh yeah, you'll get retards, like the one in the article I linked, who completely miss the point of these decisions but ultimately, having this straightened out in the courtroom makes it easier to bitchslap their fundie *** back into place.

For better or worse, tradition plays a major role in constitutional interpretation, and religion is intrinsically tied to the very founding of the nation. No, this doesn't imply we are a "Christian Nation" or any of that garbage, but SCOTUS does not take any abrogation of religious freedoms lightly and will do whatever it can to preserve tradition wherever feasible.

If you haven't read the opinions of the Court yet, I would recommend it if for nothing else than to see for yourself how weak the argument against the ruling was compared to the majority opinion.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 15:32:26  
When did I (or anyone one else with a brain for that matter) say we weren't a republic?
Once, a while back. I will have to look it up though.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 15:41:42  
If I did, I must have been high.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 16:09:41  
If a majority passes an ordinance banning members of a certain religious group from their town, are you going to defend that?
Have any town/city/state in the entire history of the US passed such ordinance, and not been challenged in court?
 Siren.Inuyushi
サーバ: Siren
user: Inuyushi
By Siren.Inuyushi 2014-05-09 16:24:25  

I recall you saying that also.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 16:31:28  
Think you both be high then...
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2014-05-09 16:37:47  
To Jetackuu's credit, he kept trying to explain that the US is a republic, and not a democracy.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-05-09 16:38:36  
Bismarck.Bloodrose said: »
To Jetackuu's credit, he kept trying to explain that the US is a republic, and not a democracy.
See I recall doing that.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-09 16:39:35  
The U.S. is just a reality show for the rest of the world to watch and laugh at. Reality TV government.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-05-09 16:41:04  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
The U.S. is just a reality show for the rest of the world to watch and laugh at. Reality TV government.
So THAT'S why we have CSPAN!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2014-05-09 19:27:04  
Satanic Prayer Will Open Florida Town Council Meeting If Chaz Stevens Has His Way

Ehhhh, I'd give the troll attempt a 6/10. Too blunt.
[+]
 Sylph.Shipp
サーバ: Sylph
user: Shipp
By Sylph.Shipp 2014-05-09 19:40:08  
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
fonewear said: »
Religion isn't the problem here it is people. The people that *** about being offended or the people that don't believe in anything. Unless someone is forcing religion on you what are we bitching about again ?

There is a very active element in the Democrat party which desires to rid the world of all forms of religion but Christianity most especially. This creates an agenda where they won't accept neutrality as an option or any form of compromise that allows people with religion to openly practice it. Their beliefs against religion are so strong that they have become the thing they most despised, fanatics.

Now I'm waiting for them to accuse me of being religion and a conservative.
Poor Christian who finally realizes your religion is declining and you actually have to use proof instead of a two thousand year old book to prove a point.

*hands you a tissue*
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-05-09 19:42:06  
Study: Young Latinos losing faith
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2014-05-10 01:55:45  
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
There is a very active element in the Democrat party which desires to rid the world of all forms of religion but Christianity most especially. This creates an agenda where they won't accept neutrality as an option or any form of compromise that allows people with religion to openly practice it. Their beliefs against religion are so strong that they have become the thing they most despised, fanatics.

Now I'm waiting for them to accuse me of being religion and a conservative

Very active? Give me a break, the Dems play to religion for votes as much as any Republican. You're not religious or conservative, just delusional. Democrats just bundle religion in a more kid-friendly manner because damning your gay donors to eternal torment isn't how you get fundraised. While Republicans cling to that old time religion, the Democrats subscribe to Jesus: Prince of Persia Peace.

Christian supremacy is a disease like Islamic and Jewish supremacy best cut off at the knees before the religious fanatics plunge the world back into centuries of darkness. Just because people call out the bad acts of religion doesn't mean they want to ban public worship, just keep it out of government.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Saevel
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2014-05-10 02:46:55  
They're public officials voting on policy that effects everyone. Not just people who share their religious beliefs. So...yes. They do need to cite their reasoning for that opinion and be held accountable for it.
Their accountability will be the next election. If they pass a legislation that goes against the majority of the people they serve, they will be voted out in the next election. Politics 101.
And if that "experience" is largely "because my religion is against it", that is problematic, as they're enforcing their relgion's beliefs on everyone, whether they share those beliefs or not.
While there are zealots out there, they generally stay within the confines of the religion they hold. They don't run for public office because A) they wouldn't have the leadership abilities to manage the election campaign and B) they wouldn't have people skills to not only sway the public, but also gather donations to run an effective campaign. The people in office are not zealots, and their reasoning is beyond that of religion alone.

"Politics 101" is hardly applicable at this stage of the game.

Everything you've stated is all well and good on paper, but your suppositions don't hold water in today's political environment.

The fact that the Tea Party has elected officials supporting them disrupts your whole argument by itself.

Actually .... the definition of a democracy is such that if they aren't replaced, then the majority of their constituents agreed with what they did.

People elect government representatives, people are the ones responsible for voting. What your crying against is that you honestly feel people are too stupid to properly vote for your ideas and thus shouldn't be allowed to vote unless it's in agreement with your ideas. That is not a democracy but an authoritarian regime on the kind that we see in North Korea.

Here's a clue, politicians are not stupid. You can't get to where they are without climbing over piles of political bodies first. In order for them to get where they are, they had to first beat people smarter and more resourced then you. Once you realize that, you should then realize that everything they do is theater. They are acting that way so as to appeal to the people who voted them into office. They are no more religious then you or I but go through the motions because the people who elected them feel there should be some sort of "divine" guidance involved.

As for the American political system, it's not design to be efficient or to produce the "correct" answer, because there is no correct answer. The system is designed to be the exact opposite, to be so convoluted and difficult that it's impossible for King Romney II (insert oligarch / aristocrat of choice)to exist. The powers involved spend so much of their time / energy fighting each other that the common man can go about his / her business without interference from a federal government. Rules and laws are supposed to be decided locally because state representatives are close and more knowledgeable of what their constituents desire.

Anyway the Constitution does not forbid expressing religion, it actually protects everyone's right to equally express their own religion. Atheists can hate it all day long, but your right to be an Atheist is protected by the exact same rule that you so despise. Atheism is just another religion and the US Government can't show Atheism any preference by enforcing a removal of non-Atheist religions.
First Page 2 3 ... 7 8 9 10