users online
フォーラム » Windower » Support » Windower4 + Windows 8 = together sucks >.>
Windower4 + Windows 8 = together sucks >.>
 Odin.Machorz
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: MacHorz
By Odin.Machorz 2014-05-12 08:56:32  
Hey, I already wrote in offcial windower 4 forum, but maybe anyone here have a solution for the Windower 4 crash with windows 8?

I didnt had time to do the crash dump.

What happen: Windower 4 crash when screen change from "play button" to the log-in screen.

If anyone got solution,pls let me know^^
 Odin.Skeero
By Odin.Skeero 2014-05-12 09:08:42  
Was happening to me also. Cant use sandbox plugin and you cant have your windower folder in the same place as you ffxi folder. So move windower folder to desktop or into another partition of your hard drive. That worked for me atleast.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-12 09:11:43  
Sounds like you're missing some Windower files. Cant say which ones for certain but it seems like you might be missing the luaCore.dll

What are the current files present in your Windower 4> plugins (the dlls), and Windower 4 > updates ; folders?

and possibly even check the Windower 4 > plugins > settings (xmls)
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-05-12 09:12:18  
I run Windower 4 and Windows 8 and have had no issues, my Windower 4 automatically installed itself in the Program Files (x86) folder. Check your settings, even if it means testing a low resolution like 800x600.

As for sandbox, I've never been able to get that working, I just assumed it was a common issue.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2014-05-12 09:36:58  
Guy in my LS has the same issue. As soon as he hits Play, the game crashes. That is with Windows 8 and Windower 4, no plug-ins in use.

The Windower devs know about the issue, but from what I read, they can never recreate it to troubleshoot.
 Shiva.Siral
サーバ: Shiva
user: Siral
By Shiva.Siral 2014-05-12 09:48:29  
Yeah I have windows 8 on both my PC and my laptop and windower works fine. Have you tried turning off the secure boot in bios? I hear that causes a lot of problems on newer computers/windower.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2014-05-12 09:59:42  
I had someone in the LS have the same issue, when they upgraded to Windows 8. We found that the issue was related to not having files present. Specifically Windower 4/addons/libs/

following were not present:
  • xml.lua

• vectors.lua

• timeit.lua

• texts.lua

• tablehelper.lua

• stringhelper.lua

• slips.lua

• sets.lua

• resources.lua

• readme.md

• packets.lua

• matrices.lua

• mathhelper.lua

• luau.lua

• logger.xml

• logger.lua

• lists.lua

• json.lua

• functools.lua

• filehelper.lua

• ffxidata.json

• ffxi.lua

• config.lua

• colors.lua

• chat.lua

Also check ...addons/libs/resources for:
  • mabils.xml

• dialog4.xml

I suggest checking to see if you are missing any of these. Cause all that it took was sending them the files to make it work.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-05-12 14:52:48  
Sandbox doesn't work for Windows 8 currently, but that we may fix soon. As for thethe POL > FFXI crash, however, we don't have a clue. Some people reported they managed to fix it by reverting to older video drivers, but that didn't work for everyone. It sometimes appears out of the blue from one day to the next. Sometimes after installing something, and even uninstalling doesn't fix it. It's a complete mystery to us at this point.

It's definitely not related to the libs files.
 Odin.Machorz
By Odin.Machorz 2014-05-14 13:58:09  
Okay since so far there isnt a solution,do anyone know how I can run 2 POL/FFXI at same time without windower? :/
 Cerberus.Conagh
サーバ: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-14 14:01:24  
Odin.Machorz said: »
Okay since so far there isnt a solution,do anyone know how I can run 2 POL/FFXI at same time without windower? :/

Reinstall WIndows 8, it does not always install correctly, I used the EXACT SAME DISK, and my ***worked perfectly afterwards.
 Odin.Machorz
By Odin.Machorz 2014-05-14 14:05:45  
I have windows 8 for long time now. So not sure if its really windows 8 fault. And so far windower 4 worked fine until one of last ffxi-updates.
 Bismarck.Hsieh
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Hsieh
By Bismarck.Hsieh 2014-05-14 14:15:32  
I know that Sandbox does not work on Windows 8. That was my main problem.

I changed properties to run as admin and under Win XP or Win& compatibility mode. I also give permission for my folders to all Users. Generally that solves all my FFXI apps on Win 8.

I noticed my last update my virus scanner thought windower 4 was unsafe and disabled my access. I reinstalled Windower 4 and the problem did not come back. I keep all my FFXI apps in my dropbox folder now since I play on multiple computers and haven't had an issue.
By Jetackuu 2014-05-14 14:19:05  
Odin.Machorz said: »

On one PC fully, there's no other way (short of another 3rd party app), however you could use vmware and isolate the installations entirely into a virtual machine, vmware does direct3d acceleration which you need for XI (virtualbox's implementation of it doesn't work well enough, at least it didn't the last time I tried).

Or just use Windows 7.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [61 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Blittzjr
サーバ: Leviathan
user: tripletee
By Leviathan.Blittzjr 2014-07-14 23:43:54  
Yeah im running into this same problem through windower and POL. Did a full reinstall and still N error. Doing a fresh reinstall part 2 atm.