Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1070 1071 1072 ... 1375 1376 1377
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-11 19:08:06  
This is not a conversation worth having unless someone smarter than nausi can provide an argument for tipping. Personal experience is irrelevant.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-11 19:56:57  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
This is not a conversation worth having unless someone smarter than nausi can provide an argument for tipping. Personal experience is irrelevant.

That is pretty much the liberal motto "Experience is irrelevant." Fantasy, conjecture, reading about something on the internet; the basis for all liberal decision making.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-11 19:58:39  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

That is pretty much the liberal motto "Experience is irrelevant." Fantasy, conjecture, reading about something on the internet; the basis for all liberal decision making.

So, a singular experience should dictate policy? Or are you saying that logic is a liberal agenda?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-11 20:17:31  
The latter.

However, this whole conversation is trash anyway. There is no blanket yes/no answer on tipping. Shitholes like Denny's should pay their wait staff more and they shouldn't have to be concerned with making a living on tips. I say shithole, but Moons Over My Hammy is still a great sammich.

Finer establishments though where the clients are paying for a dining experience, tips are earned by professionals. This whole conversation is insulting to people that choose service as a career like they are all charity cases.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-11 20:18:28  
Goes without saying that aman doesn't qualify.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-11 20:21:59  
If your job can be done by a high school drop out and pays less than half of minimum wage, it's not a career, it's just better than starving.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-11 20:47:30  
The latter.

However, this whole conversation is trash anyway. There is no blanket yes/no answer on tipping. Shitholes like Denny's should pay their wait staff more and they shouldn't have to be concerned with making a living on tips. I say shithole, but Moons Over My Hammy is still a great sammich.

Finer establishments though where the clients are paying for a dining experience, tips are earned by professionals. This whole conversation is insulting to people that choose service as a career like they are all charity cases.

The problem is, if you draw a line like that, someone is in charge of deciding where that line is, which means in the best case scenario, more bureaucracy. More likely it leads to worker exploitation.

Give servers standard wages. Bump prices up if need be, because there's now a 15%+ charge at the end that's not getting tacked on. The service argument has always seemed weird to me, because if a server is underperforming, they just get fired. If anything, I would assume service would get better, as servers aren't cheap to keep around anymore and you'd be more incentivized to fire terrible servers.

And I have yet to see anyone address my original three points, so there's that too. Just get rid of tipping.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-11 22:01:30  
Jassik said: »
If your job can be done by a high school drop out and pays less than half of minimum wage, it's not a career, it's just better than starving.

Does it absolutely kill you that there are high school drop outs out there that make better livings than you do?
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-11 22:13:52  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

Does it absolutely kill you that there are high school drop outs out there that make better livings than you do?

1. You have no clue what kind of living I make
2. I'm sure there are some out there
3. No, it doesn't bother me at all.

Do you have any point to make or are you just resorting to jibes now?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-11-11 22:15:33  
Do you think that you would get as good of service if you weren't allowed to tip? Have you ever been to a place outside the US that doesn't partake in tipping? Service is very often slow and terrible.

I'd say the service in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands is great. Then again, eating out in Europe is paced more casually.

Having worked as a server in HS and college, I have wondered if being reliant on tipping has an adverse effect on the experience of dining out itself, given experiences in Europe. You're not trying to hastily turn tables or worrying about that Sunday twelve top who takes up a good portion of your section.

Church crowd and temporary tax-return "gazillionaires"...

Though, I do agree with you that it is a job that everyone should experience. That grit your teeth grin works interchangeably in multiple situations.

EDIT: Can't really gauge as far as Italy and France since it was a tour group situation for both one time and France, exclusively, I was too young to be paying attention.

I will say that my uncle's favorite spot for over twenty years that is owned by an Italian family that immigrated to Germany always had phenomenal customer service.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2015-11-11 23:06:00  

Thus implying that being a server is a dead end job. Some servers can make over 300 bucks a night. Hardly a dead end job.
It is a dead end job. There are no advancement opportunities within the organization unless you are
a) willing to take a pay cut as a manager
B) consider becoming a bartender a job advancement.
C) open you own place and hope you can survive the few years it takes to get into the black

Can you make good money? Yes, on average you can.

But there are many factors that can prevent you from achieving your nighly/weekly/monthly goal that have nothing to do with your awesome server skills.

Beyond economy wide recessions or random economic issues*.
-There are managers who over staff the shift and bump every servers earning potential down.**
-There are bad sections***
-There are places that pass on normal business business expenses to the servers****.
-Not to mention customers who just want to keep sitting in that table in your section instead of leaving quickly after their meal so you can turn that table

I've had good and bad experiences in other countries regarding service. Whether it's up to your standards, I don't know since everyone has a different perspective.

*I was serving in Atlanta when Katrina hit and after people were done being scared about gas or fighting at the pumps, not many were interested in going out to a nice resturant downtown. For a couple of weeks the resturant was slow

**going from a 4 table station night to a 2 table section pretty much destorys the earning potential. For a couple of weeks my idiot, drunk, anger management issues floor manager did this to make the point not to question his judgement and to not report him to the owner. Afterwards he was down 3/4 of his staff with the owner having to offer cash bonuses to people to get them to return. However, $200 doesn't even remotely make up the difference in lost wages

***having a bar section split between multiple servers on a week night with limited sporting events. I worked for three hours before being cut....and I never had a single customer.

****Tip outs are horrible. I've worked (not for very long) in places where there were 5 people I had to tip out every night (bar, hostness, busser, dessert case reviewer, and part of the kitchen for "dressing" my plates). Then there was the place that wanted to pass on credit card per transaction charge onto servers to pay.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-11 23:39:59  
Goes without saying that aman doesn't qualify.

Ohoho you.

Why do mods still let you post? What purpose does this post serve?
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-11 23:49:32  

What purpose does this post serve? This question can be asked all day. Nice try tho.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Xantavia
user: xantavia
By Phoenix.Xantavia 2015-11-12 02:03:54  
Drama Torama said: »
What is your objection to the tipping system?

- It introduces variance in income at a pay bracket that probably doesn't have the cushion to weather a couple bad weeks
- It disproportionately hurts servers scheduled during 'dead' times
- It moves the risk of poor business from the employer to the employees

There are a lot of other, more feelsies reasons, like how it puts women servers into a position where they have to endure a certain amount of objectification if they want to make money, but the above three are solid reasons for getting rid of it that don't rely on anyone giving a ***about women, so it's a better set of arguments.

Do you think that you would get as good of service if you weren't allowed to tip? Have you ever been to a place outside the US that doesn't partake in tipping? Service is very often slow and terrible.

The tipping system is great. I have been a server before and I think everyone should have a job as a server at some point in their life just so they can understand the relationship and ethics involved with tipping. Simply put, hustle and you just might make a decent living. Kick back at the bar and pay no attention to your customers, well you'll likely pay for it.
Not sure about just a tipping job, but I've always felt everyone should work in the service industry at some point in their life, especially on the major holidays. It's a dream that people might understand long lines happen and there just isn't the staff to make it go faster, there is no magic stockroom where sold out items are kept, and employees aren't always cheery on Christmas because they were forced to work (or be fired) instead of spending the day with there family.
[+]
 Bahamut.Omael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Omael
By Bahamut.Omael 2015-11-12 06:58:11  
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Not sure about just a tipping job, but I've always felt everyone should work in the service industry at some point in their life, especially on the major holidays. It's a dream that people might understand long lines happen and there just isn't the staff to make it go faster, there is no magic stockroom where sold out items are kept, and employees aren't always cheery on Christmas because they were forced to work (or be fired) instead of spending the day with there family.

The hell you say!
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-11-12 08:35:56  
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
and employees aren't always cheery

Could have just ended it there, especially in retail.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-12 08:45:26  
Kara sorry but they banned using personal experience in this discussion. I quote Vic when I say "Nice try though."
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-12 08:48:46  

What purpose does this post serve? This question can be asked all day. Nice try tho.

It's P&R and liberal tenants are grounded in acedemia and classrooms with no real work experience to back them up. That was the purpose of my post.

Now you can answer for yours.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 08:51:32  

One is a jab at an ideology, the other is a jab at a person.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-12 08:53:41  
Thats a nice fantasy assumption with nothing to back it up, it makes me laugh but it has no basis in reality. Its just a troll attack on liberals, par for the course for you and nausi. It serves no purpose, its not true, and it was deservedly mocked.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 08:59:13  

It's P&R and liberal tenants are grounded in acedemia and classrooms with no real work experience to back them up. That was the purpose of my post.

Funny how it's generally the faux conservatives who talk about achievement nonstop but grew up with money and work in daddy's office.

With very few exceptions, everyone has had to work hard in their life. Some much harder than others, and often having that experience is what shapes their opinions. IS it not possible that someone could come to a different conclusion than you without having been carried through life?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:04:36  

1. You have no clue what kind of living I make
2. I'm sure there are some out there
3. No, it doesn't bother me at all.

Do you have any point to make or are you just resorting to jibes now?

Not a jab, genuinely curious. I'm trying to understand what is the big problem you have with someone willingly taking a job as a server under those conditions of "bust your *** and you might be able to make some decent money." Why does a certain section of the populations seek to outlaw that kind of agreement? Is it because it doesn't always work out that way? That is a risk both parties are willing to take.

It's not a dead end job by it's nature, you meet many people, some jerks and some not. You might actually meet people whom you can network with later on. I mean I viewed it that way, it lead to other jobs in college.

I eat lunch at the local UNOs often (even though UNO's is absolutely dreadful) the turnover rate for their serving staff is astronomical. The manager knows me as an acquaintance and every time I ask about it she tells me that the people she hires are unreliable and pretty much eventually don't want to come in and bust their *** to make their pay, they'd rather sit on their butts and be lazy. She in turn doesn't offer them the better shifts (why would she) and they complain about how much money they don't make.

Why is she obligated to put poorer performing servers in the prime time slots for the restaurant? Why should she not be allowed to decide how to best serve her customers?
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-12 09:04:50  
Thats a nice fantasy assumption with nothing to back it up, it makes me laugh but it has no basis in reality. Its just a troll attack on liberals, par for the course for you and nausi. It serves no purpose, its not true, and it was deservedly mocked.

The entire Presidency of Obama is all I need to provide as evidence. Uhh I read about the uhhh economy uhhh in a book once.
[+]
 Phoenix.Amandarius
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2015-11-12 09:06:13  

Funny how it's generally the faux conservatives who talk about achievement nonstop but grew up with money and work in daddy's office.

With very few exceptions, everyone has had to work hard in their life. Some much harder than others, and often having that experience is what shapes their opinions. IS it not possible that someone could come to a different conclusion than you without having been carried through life?

I have no idea what you are even talking about now.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-12 09:09:50  
So are we redefining dead end jobs for feels now? Are we also redefining "decent" money? No? Ok.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:10:36  
Missouri student VP: 'I'm tired of people using the first amendment to say whatever they want'.

Congrats liberals, you successfully coddled the next generation into a generation of fascists.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2015-11-12 09:19:03  
Oh, another attack on an ideology right? You can't even post the entire quote so the context is understood. Swing and a miss.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 09:25:26  
Missouri student VP: 'I'm tired of people using the first amendment to say whatever they want'.

Congrats liberals, you successfully coddled the next generation into a generation of fascists.

I'd be interested in seeing that actual context of the complaint instead of a pair of selective quotes in an editorial article clearly dismissive of academia.
First Page 2 3 ... 1070 1071 1072 ... 1375 1376 1377