Random Politics & Religion #00

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #00
Random Politics & Religion #00
First Page 2 3 ... 1071 1072 1073 ... 1375 1376 1377
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2015-11-12 09:28:26  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Missouri student VP: 'I'm tired of people using the first amendment to say whatever they want'.

Congrats liberals, you successfully coddled the next generation into a generation of fascists.

College students say a lot of dumb things, news at 11.

Seriously, though, does no one actually understand the first amendment anymore? It feels like we as a nation used to have a better grasp on the concept, but that might just be my oldness talking.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:31:38  
Drama Torama said: »
Missouri student VP: 'I'm tired of people using the first amendment to say whatever they want'.

Congrats liberals, you successfully coddled the next generation into a generation of fascists.

College students say a lot of dumb things, news at 11.

Seriously, though, does no one actually understand the first amendment anymore? It feels like we as a nation used to have a better grasp on the concept, but that might just be my oldness talking.

See, you say things like this and I have hope for you my friend. I'll say it as clearly as I can.

Kids today are being taught a liberal agenda that seeks to indoctrinate that political disagreement from the agenda is (and can only be) "hate speech" and should not be tolerated.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 09:33:30  
Jassik said: »
If your job can be done by a high school drop out and pays less than half of minimum wage, it's not a career, it's just better than starving.

Does it absolutely kill you that there are high school drop outs out there that make better livings than you do?

1. You have no clue what kind of living I make
2. I'm sure there are some out there
3. No, it doesn't bother me at all.

Do you have any point to make or are you just resorting to jibes now?

Not a jab, genuinely curious. I'm trying to understand what is the big problem you have with someone willingly taking a job as a server under those conditions of "bust your *** and you might be able to make some decent money." Why does a certain section of the populations seek to outlaw that kind of agreement? Is it because it doesn't always work out that way? That is a risk both parties are willing to take.

It's not a dead end job by it's nature, you meet many people, some jerks and some not. You might actually meet people whom you can network with later on. I mean I viewed it that way, it lead to other jobs in college.

I eat lunch at the local UNOs often (even though UNO's is absolutely dreadful) the turnover rate for their serving staff is astronomical. The manager knows me as an acquaintance and every time I ask about it she tells me that the people she hires are unreliable and pretty much eventually don't want to come in and bust their *** to make their pay, they'd rather sit on their butts and be lazy. She in turn doesn't offer them the better shifts (why would she) and they complain about how much money they don't make.

Why is she obligated to put poorer performing servers in the prime time slots for the restaurant? Why should she not be allowed to decide how to best serve her customers?

jibe!=jab

I don't believe a single person said anything about making it illegal.

Dead end means there is no opportunity for advancement. In any given restaurant, there might be 15 servers, and 1-2 managers. Making the jump from server to manager is generally a pay cut or at least not a raise, and the chance of moving from there to any kind of regional position with server credentials is basically nil. That's what dead end means.

I don't know anything about the restaurant you're talking about, but here's the rub... If you take a job knowing what it is then decide to complain and not show up, that's on you. That doesn't excuse an industry for strong-arming people with few options. And there is nothing wrong with restaurants moving to a more standard pay model, in fact, some have always been a no-tip model and very successful.

Tips should be a reward for good service, not a mandatory extra cost levied against the patrons so the restaurant doesn't have to compensate employees for their time.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:33:33  
In other news: Criminal investigation of Hillary Clinton widens.

Quote:
The FBI has expanded its probe of Hillary Clinton’s emails, with agents exploring whether multiple statements violate a federal false statements statute, according to intelligence sources familiar with the ongoing case.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 09:35:21  

Very few it seems. The cries of censorship against companies and total misunderstanding of the religious clause. Apparently, even the supreme court doesn't understand the first amendment.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-11-12 09:35:42  
See, you say things like this and I have hope for you my friend.

You don't actually know my politics, I assure you. I obfuscate them in my role here on purpose so that neither side gets to call "bias!" on me.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 09:36:53  
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Phoenix.Amandarius said: »

That is pretty much the liberal motto "Experience is irrelevant." Fantasy, conjecture, reading about something on the internet; the basis for all liberal decision making.

What purpose does this post serve? This question can be asked all day. Nice try tho.

It's P&R and liberal tenants are grounded in acedemia and classrooms with no real work experience to back them up. That was the purpose of my post.

Now you can answer for yours.

Funny how it's generally the faux conservatives who talk about achievement nonstop but grew up with money and work in daddy's office.

With very few exceptions, everyone has had to work hard in their life. Some much harder than others, and often having that experience is what shapes their opinions. IS it not possible that someone could come to a different conclusion than you without having been carried through life?
And a lot of people are decrying their situation as out of their control, even though they are the one's who created the situation they are in.

"Oh pity me, for I have done drugs and now I'm an addict. I demand money and restitution from society because I made a bad choice in my life! Oh, and please decriminalize drugs so I can do more!"

"Waaah, I can't survive on minimum wage because I'm too lazy to learn a trade or to go to college, I demand that minimum wage is raised to $15 an hour, even though by doing so, there will be more incentive to automize said jobs and lower the employment rate even further. But because I have 7 children from different fathers, I demand more money because I cannot take care of the choices I made in life!"

You find these sob stories everywhere online now.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 09:37:39  

You don't actually know my politics, I assure you. I obfuscate them in my role here on purpose so that neither side gets to call "bias!" on me.
But we still do.

Damn admin bias!
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 09:38:15  
"automatize"
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 09:40:16  
Just throwing this out there to both of you.

Ever think maybe there's so middle ground and that it is extremelyrare that anything is ever 100% one way or another?

It's just easier to think it is so your position is more sympathetic or persuasive.

Much like my own dislikes of corporations. They're not all terrible. Probably even a majority aren't. But there are still many that are and I let that flavor my view of them as a whole too much sometimes.

There are sympathetic figures in all walks of life and detestable ones.

The trick is checking your experiences with the bad ones and no letting that color your treatment of the good ones.

And frankly, that's something we all need to do a little bit better hereabouts, methinks.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 09:43:20  
Kids today are being taught a liberal agenda that seeks to indoctrinate that political disagreement from the agenda is (and can only be) "hate speech" and should not be tolerated.

There's a degree of truth in your comment, but when you word it as such you realize it makes you sound tinfoil hatty, right?

As I said about the rich/poor/entitled/etc. argument above, so it goes here; there's a whole lot of vacant middle ground these days and these polar opposites constantly digging in and butting heads is causing a *** of a lot of unnecessary problems in our country right now. Everyone wants to be the aggrieved party. Everyone wants to be viewed as the persecuted. No one wants to back down from any stance ever.

That's a recipe for militant levels of absurdity. See: religious terrorists.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:43:58  

You don't actually know my politics
, I assure you. I obfuscate them in my role here on purpose so that neither side gets to call "bias!" on me.

I know this, I hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 09:44:35  
Ramyrez said: »
Just throwing this out there to both of you.

Ever think maybe there's so middle ground and that it is extremelyrare that anything is ever 100% one way or another?

It's just easier to think it is so your position is more sympathetic or persuasive.

Much like my own dislikes of corporations. They're not all terrible. Probably even a majority aren't. But there are still many that are and I let that flavor my view of them as a whole too much sometimes.

There are sympathetic figures in all walks of life and detestable ones.

The trick is checking your experiences with the bad ones and no letting that color your treatment of the good ones.

And frankly, that's something we all need to do a little bit better hereabouts, methinks.
You only hear about the bad ones, that's what sells stories (not news) from the media.

Yes, there are bad corporate practices out there, and by pointing them out and demonizing them, they will change for the better. But most corporate practices (and corporations/businesses) are there for the betterment of the company, consumer, and employees.

I would think that greater than 95% of corporate practices are good for the economy/society as a whole. Most likely greater than 99%. But you only hear about the very few bad ones, which warps your perception on corporations as a whole.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 09:46:56  
Everyone wants to be the aggrieved party. Everyone wants to be viewed as the persecuted. No one wants to back down from any stance ever.
Not everyone.

I personally don't file myself as any of the above. Especially the "back down from any stance ever" portion, which I have publicly stated when I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one here who does that. Maybe I'm an outlier?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:47:29  

There's a degree of truth in your comment, but when you word it as such you realize it makes you sound tinfoil hatty, right?

As I said about the rich/poor/entitled/etc. argument above, so it goes here; there's a whole lot of vacant middle ground these days and these polar opposites constantly digging in and butting heads is causing a *** of a lot of unnecessary problems in our country right now. Everyone wants to be the aggrieved party. Everyone wants to be viewed as the persecuted. No one wants to back down from any stance ever.

That's a recipe for militant levels of absurdity. See: religious terrorists.

I don't particularly care to be honest. If you don't take me seriously, that is not my problem it's yours.

I view the bolded as an invitation to try and sell someone something they don't want and can never use in the first place. Why would I waste my time?
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-11-12 09:59:41  
If your job can be done by a high school drop out and pays less than half of minimum wage, it's not a career, it's just better than starving.

Does it absolutely kill you that there are high school drop outs out there that make better livings than you do?

Not a jab, genuinely curious. I'm trying to understand what is the big problem you have with someone willingly taking a job as a server under those conditions of "bust your *** and you might be able to make some decent money." Why does a certain section of the populations seek to outlaw that kind of agreement? Is it because it doesn't always work out that way? That is a risk both parties are willing to take.

It's not a dead end job by it's nature, you meet many people, some jerks and some not. You might actually meet people whom you can network with later on. I mean I viewed it that way, it lead to other jobs in college.

I eat lunch at the local UNOs often (even though UNO's is absolutely dreadful) the turnover rate for their serving staff is astronomical. The manager knows me as an acquaintance and every time I ask about it she tells me that the people she hires are unreliable and pretty much eventually don't want to come in and bust their *** to make their pay, they'd rather sit on their butts and be lazy. She in turn doesn't offer them the better shifts (why would she) and they complain about how much money they don't make.

Why is she obligated to put poorer performing servers in the prime time slots for the restaurant? Why should she not be allowed to decide how to best serve her customers?

jibe!=jab

Dead end means there is no opportunity for advancement. In any given restaurant, there might be 15 servers, and 1-2 managers. Making the jump from server to manager is generally a pay cut or at least not a raise, and the chance of moving from there to any kind of regional position with server credentials is basically nil. That's what dead end means.

I don't know anything about the restaurant you're talking about, but here's the rub... If you take a job knowing what it is then decide to complain and not show up, that's on you. That doesn't excuse an industry for strong-arming people with few options. And there is nothing wrong with restaurants moving to a more standard pay model, in fact, some have always been a no-tip model and very successful.

Tips should be a reward for good service, not a mandatory extra cost levied against the patrons so the restaurant doesn't have to compensate employees for their time.

Everyone's talking about getting rid of it. I doubt outlawing it has never crossed anyone's mind, but if I am indeed mistaken then "oops my bad".

It boils down to what you think "proper" compensation is for their job. If you take tipping out of the equation, you're just largely dictating that everyone gets paid the same no matter how they perform. I doubt there are many servers that don't make the federal "minimum wage" for the time they are there when you tack on tips to the wage given. Alternatively if you want servers to be better compensated then go out and tip them more.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-11-12 10:07:29  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Yes, there are bad corporate practices out there, and by pointing them out and demonizing them, they will change for the better. But most corporate practices (and corporations/businesses) are there for the betterment of the company, consumer, and employees.

I would think that greater than 95% of corporate practices are good for the economy/society as a whole. Most likely greater than 99%. But you only hear about the very few bad ones, which warps your perception on corporations as a whole.
You are an optimist.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 10:10:16  
Everyone wants to be the aggrieved party. Everyone wants to be viewed as the persecuted. No one wants to back down from any stance ever.
Not everyone.

I personally don't file myself as any of the above. Especially the "back down from any stance ever" portion, which I have publicly stated when I'm wrong.

Unfortunately, I seem to be the only one here who does that. Maybe I'm an outlier?

Maybe. But viewing yourself as above the problem and immune to bias views is a little arrogant and probably wrong.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-12 10:11:23  
I don't believe the well being of an employee should be dependant on the whims of the customers. I am supportive of the restaurants who just calculate it in the bill.

Shop clerks gain the same whether they're kind of shitty with the clients, don't see why it should be different with waiters. You'll always meet good and bad people, or people who are just having a bad day, regardless of the system.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 10:13:19  

jibe!=jab

Everyone's talking about getting rid of it. I doubt outlawing it has never crossed anyone's mind, but if I am indeed mistaken then "oops my bad".

It boils down to what you think "proper" compensation is for their job. If you take tipping out of the equation, you're just largely dictating that everyone gets paid the same no matter how they perform. I doubt there are many servers that don't make the federal "minimum wage" for the time they are there when you tack on tips to the wage given. Alternatively if you want servers to be better compensated then go out and tip them more.

I don't think many people truly agree with eliminating tipping, they just disagree with tips being expected because they are the primary form of compensation. Tipping should be an optional reward for great service, not a guilt laid upon the consumer to protect the bottom line of a restaurant.

Pay the servers at least minimum wage, let tips reflect the quality of their work and not the quality of their employer.

Add a few dollars to the cost of a meal, it's not going to change the overall cost of eating out but it will guarantee the employees compensation for their time force the restaurant to efficiently use their staff.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 10:18:23  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't believe the well being of an employee should be dependant on the whims of the customers. I am supportive of the restaurants who just calculate it in the bill.

I still don't like that idea, even though it's been successful. The reasoning being that it shifts the tax burden to the low wage employee and away from the restaurant.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 10:19:59  
Garuda.Chanti said: »

You are an optimist.
You have no experience in business, how can you determine what is true and what is not?

Out of everyone here on this forum, who other than I have had any executive business experience? Who here other than I have seen how business practices work, period?

Your viewpoints are based by your limited knowledge by people who looks from the outside and still do not understand how business works (aka the media). So, who's opinion is qualified again?

Not everyone.

Maybe. But viewing yourself as above the problem and immune to bias views is a little arrogant and probably wrong.
I didn't say that, and you know it.

I said that I don't view myself as part of the aggrieved party, or as the persecuted, or, most especially, immune from being wrong. How in the hell did you take that and twist it as being immune to bias views or even being above the real problem of extreme partisanship?

Am I partisan? *** yeah I am. And so are you, and pretty much everyone else here. Am I part of the persecuted class? No.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2015-11-12 10:21:34  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I don't believe the well being of an employee should be dependent on the whims of the customers.
Welcome to capitalism 101 sweetheart. Where customers dictate the ability to pay for one's employees.

Without customers, there is no business. No business means no employment.

Every industry is dependent on the whims of the customers. You should get used to that concept.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-11-12 10:22:19  
I think tipping is stupid and would rather pay a bit more at one restaurant because they give their servers a decent wage than go somewhere cheaper where they're treated badly.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-12 10:22:35  
That's for the restaurant's owner.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 10:22:58  
You have no experience in business, how can you determine what is true and what is not?

Out of everyone here on this forum, who other than I have had any executive business experience? Who here other than I have seen how business practices work, period?

Your viewpoints are based by your limited knowledge by people who looks from the outside and still do not understand how business works (aka the media). So, who's opinion is qualified again?

Uh... There's plenty of people on this forum with business experience and you are a pretty poor metric for executive experience seeing as you've been an "executive" for like 2 months at an accounting firm. Chanti is in her 60's and you have literally NO idea what her experience is.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-11-12 10:24:04  
Did you guys not send your CV to KN too? I thought that was required to post here.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-11-12 10:24:30  
Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
I think tipping is stupid and would rather pay a bit more at one restaurant because they give their servers a decent wage than go somewhere cheaper where they're treated badly.

This is exactly the philosophy behind my consumerism. I refuse to buy products from places like Walmart and only frequent restaurants where the employees are treated with value.
By Ramyrez 2015-11-12 10:24:34  

Again with the arrogance.

Your experience is not superior to or greater than anyone else's, just perhaps a little different. And nothing you've ever said indicates to me you have any understanding about business practices as a whole, but rather, just a great deal of experience with your niche in the process.

Edit: To be fair to you, though, I will say that a degree of narcissism and lack of empathy -- in fact, being a borderline sociopath -- is almost requisite of being a successful corporate executive in this country because you generally can't succeed in the long run without throwing some folks under the bus.

Which is a problem inherent in the system, but sadly it's probably the best we can do.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2015-11-12 10:26:17  
Welcome to capitalism 101 sweetheart. Where customers dictate the ability to pay for one's employees.

Without customers, there is no business. No business means no employment.

Every industry is dependent on the whims of the customers. You should get used to that concept.

There's a difference though, between the macrocosm of that (without customers, a business folds) and the microcosm (I had four *** at my tables today and got minimal tips, now I can't pay my rent).

A low-wage/expected tipping setup shifts the risk of no/bad customers from the employer to the employee, without any increase in reward for said employee; if they're tipped normally they come out basically even, if they're tipped badly, they lose on the deal.

Not every server works in a steakhouse, and no one is making $300 in tips from a Tuesday afternoon shift.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 1071 1072 1073 ... 1375 1376 1377